01/01/01 HOB 20 years ago

32 minutes ago, mystery said:

I agree with this. It gets glossed over but even those albums were a difficult process. Some songs are basically solo driven. It's why I have an appreciation for them. Its Guns' White Album.

Izzy saw early where things were heading and left early. Saving some of those tracks would have been a good idea. It seemed like they emptied their vault so to speak.

I've kind of derailed things a bit but a lot of these issues continued to the CD band. Guys like Josh Freese, Buckethead, Robin Finck etc. came in to try and set a new direction.

Axl sold them on a new vision and I think most of them wouldn't have joined if they weren't convinced and thought they could contribute.

It’s relevant though. Would Axl have felt the need to reinvent with the CD era if there was something else left from previous years that was unfinished? 

Starting from scratch led to multiple ideas of what it should be. Ultimately that seems like it was a major issue between them

The label and management probably wanted to squeeze the most possible out of them. They weren’t thinking about 5 years, careers or their well being. Not with the condition Slash Duff and even Axl were in. Not with Steven gone and Izzy one foot out of the door.

Everyone was cashing in on them  

Edited by guitarpatch

On 1/3/2021 at 8:11 AM, uzi your illusion said:

This was the official start of me waiting for Axl to takeover the world again. And there were certainly glimpses of when I thought it could be a reality. This show, Rio '01, MSG '02, CD release in '08, 2006/2007/2010 tours, But it really wasnt until probably the end of 2010 when it dawned on me that even though I wanted to see him as the top rock star in the world, he never really gave a shit about whether or not the rest of the world saw him that way. He was just trying to get his music out there and juggle expectations that the bands legacy required as well as whatever he had going on personally through the years. And that will just have to be enough for you as a fan or else you will be severely disappointed.

Do you guys think there was a time [post 2000] where Axl really cared about being in the biggest band in the world again? 

I hate to say it, but at that NBA game he had the look of someone doing chemotherapy. He was very thin, obvious wig, very gaunt.  I guess it’s possible that he had some form of cancer that went into remission and was wearing a wig until his hair grew back.... 

11 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

I hate to say it, but at that NBA game he had the look of someone doing chemotherapy. He was very thin, obvious wig, very gaunt.  I guess it’s possible that he had some form of cancer that went into remission and was wearing a wig until his hair grew back.... 

He did look off then. Almost like a different person.

He looked great in 2006. Both physically fit, and his vocal performances as well were very good. He looked pretty healthy in the 2007 studio photo with Sebastian Bach too. Then in 2008-2009 he looked a bit off. I guess it happens with age. 

• Like 1

He did indeed look very off at the NBA Finals and much of 2001/2002. It's made even stranger because whatever weirdness there was seemed to be gone by 2006 when he looked as you would expect a 44 year old Axl Rose to look. I remember someone photoshopping 2006 Axl to 1994 HOF Axl and there was hardly a difference, yet in 2000/2001 it was like a different person.

I kind of wish he would adopt the same style as he did in 2006/7.

The leather jackets, vests and jeans were a good look. I could do without the wide open shirts though.

He dresses like a middle aged dad now which I suppose he kind of is. 

Edited by mystery

19 hours ago, uzi your illusion said:

I know this is 100% hearsay but I had a person I knew who was aware how big a fan I am and they mentioned to me that they worked at Salon Memorial Kettering [cancer hospital] and said Axl was a patient there in the very early 2000's. 

Hope that's not true, but there are more than a few rumors about him receiving cancer treatment around this time.

2 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

Hope that's not true, but there are more than a few rumors about him receiving cancer treatment around this time.

Oh gosh...he has been very quiet about it, I want to send him an retrospective hug.

Here's an interesting article I found with tidbits before the HOB show. It's from a roadie and his recollection of December 27, 2000. Some highlights:

•Axl having his own tea guy.           

•The roadie making Axl tea.         

•Axl with guitar in hand showing the band something he wanted to do during Madagascar. I'm assuming he might have played it as well.                                               

•Buckethead being able to play every song known to man.               

•Axl singing & playing November Rain on piano in the studio.

https://www.loudersound.com/amp/features/a-rare-glimpse-into-the-mundane-world-of-axl-rose

Edited by mystery
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2021 at 9:23 AM, James Bond said:

He did indeed look very off at the NBA Finals and much of 2001/2002. It's made even stranger because whatever weirdness there was seemed to be gone by 2006 when he looked as you would expect a 44 year old Axl Rose to look. I remember someone photoshopping 2006 Axl to 1994 HOF Axl and there was hardly a difference, yet in 2000/2001 it was like a different person.

I think this was the no eyebrows photo. I just put it down to maybe a facelift but maybe other things were going on with his health. 🤷‍♂️