Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, The Matinator said:

I’m pretty sure we’ll never hear the majority of these songs barring another crazy leak like 2019. I mean I’m sure if there is ever an new album some of these will be included but it would probably be songs like Atlas & Hard School that fit Slash & Duffs playing style. We might get them on a deluxe Version of CD someday but we’re not gonna see that for some time, if ever.

Really the only way is a deluxe version of CD or even a Chinese Democracy sessions compilation. Other artists have done this. You could have the original mixes, remixes, and the rest of the songs that were recorded. Even updated versions of some of the leaked songs. I think it could really put that era to rest.

One question I have is what are the earliest recorded CD songs with vocals? The bulk of the songs were said to be recorded from 98-00. I'd like to know what was recorded in 98. Also what was it that got Axl back to singing and writing lyrics after such a rough period for him personally?

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, mystery said:

Really the only way is a deluxe version of CD or even a Chinese Democracy sessions compilation. Other artists have done this. You could have the original mixes, remixes, and the rest of the songs that were recorded. Even updated versions of some of the leaked songs. I think it could really put that era to rest.

One question I have is what are the earliest recorded CD songs with vocals? The bulk of the songs were said to be recorded from 98-00. I'd like to know what was recorded in 98. Also what was it that got Axl back to singing and writing lyrics after such a rough period for him personally?

If I’m not mistaken the first song recorded was Madagascar in like 97 but I’m not sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the music for OMG might have been 97 when Duff was still in the band. Also This I Love in 98 which was erased and according to Dave Dominguez was completely different apart from the title. In fact he says a lot of the songs on CD are completely different aside from the titles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Legendador said:

Now let me be the devil's advocate here, as they say in my country: which fans? The MYGNR an other Forum hardcore fans? Or the general fans that buy Greatest Hits and go to concerts only to hear SCOM?

I don't mean to be a pain in the ass here, I loved the leaked songs, but this is us, hardcore fans, the general fans don't care! Did you notice that the overall music industry didn't even bother to talk about the new leaks like they did 15 years ago about ChiDem? Not even Blabbermouth! It was only within the foruns and like one footnote here or there.

Yeah you're absolutely correct here. I can't think of anyone that would give a sh*t about an unreleased GN'R demo (with no Axl vocals and no original members) from 1999. Having said that, hardcore fans and even fairweather GN'R fans I think would get on board with the material. As toxic as this board can be at times, to see the "Fuck you Bob Ezrin" thread come out once the Village sessions leaked showed that the fans here still deep down want Axl and co. to succeed.

However, the casual GN'R fans that I have shown Hardschool and Atlas too have been unanimously positive about the songs. Will they ever demand Atlas over SCOM? Absolutely not, but while I think these songs would never take over the "classics" I do think they would add more depth to their catalogue to further build over time.

An example I use is Muse (may not be completely relevant due to age/success of the band), but I think that every Muse album has 2-3 very good songs on it. No album they have made absolutely slaps from wall-to-wall, but if they have been successful for approx 20 years now. Assume an album every 2-3 years and you now have a library of 20 very good songs for what becomes a very solid setlist. Now, if GN'R can release another album with 2-3 great songs on, this means they can rotate these songs in and out and hopefully we won't have to keep listening to covers!

Anyway apologies I went off on a bit of a tangent there. Do agree with your comments for sure, and I was quite surprised with the lack of traction on the tabloid sites when these sessions leaked!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

Yeah you're absolutely correct here. I can't think of anyone that would give a sh*t about an unreleased GN'R demo (with no Axl vocals and no original members) from 1999. Having said that, hardcore fans and even fairweather GN'R fans I think would get on board with the material. As toxic as this board can be at times, to see the "Fuck you Bob Ezrin" thread come out once the Village sessions leaked showed that the fans here still deep down want Axl and co. to succeed.

However, the casual GN'R fans that I have shown Hardschool and Atlas too have been unanimously positive about the songs. Will they ever demand Atlas over SCOM? Absolutely not, but while I think these songs would never take over the "classics" I do think they would add more depth to their catalogue to further build over time.

An example I use is Muse (may not be completely relevant due to age/success of the band), but I think that every Muse album has 2-3 very good songs on it. No album they have made absolutely slaps from wall-to-wall, but if they have been successful for approx 20 years now. Assume an album every 2-3 years and you now have a library of 20 very good songs for what becomes a very solid setlist. Now, if GN'R can release another album with 2-3 great songs on, this means they can rotate these songs in and out and hopefully we won't have to keep listening to covers!

Anyway apologies I went off on a bit of a tangent there. Do agree with your comments for sure, and I was quite surprised with the lack of traction on the tabloid sites when these sessions leaked!

I think muse have 2 great albums (black holes and drones), then 2-3 great songs per album but i completely agree. Most bands (aside from the beatles) will have 2-3 wall to wall fantastic albums, and then after that 2-3 good songs per album, and a few more songs hardcore fans will adore and occasionally be rolled out live as a 'deep cut'. It's annoying that GnR could have released an album in 95 with the original band and 3 more albums with the new band. Even 3 good songs on each album would have equalled 12 more 'classic' GnR songs. But instead the live show is made up of 80% of appetite. 

I'll always use Metallica and Hardwired. That album is a fucking beast. their best album since the black album, maybe their 4th best album. and they did that in theirs 50s and after a couple meh albums. 8/9 songs I'd happily hear take up half their live set. I don't expect a GnR album to be that good but there's no reason it can't come close. 

Edited by JimiRose
typo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

Sure, opinions are like assholes, as they say. I'm sure you know that Jungle, Ozzy and even Royal Blood sounds outdated in many peoples opinions.

But it's all subjective. I don't think there is such a thing as objectively outdated music. Sounds don't get old. There's just different kinds of trends. For example the synth pop music of the eighties were the epitome of outdated music for a long time, but right now those eighties synth sounds are very popular in alternative circles and you hear those influences even in mainstream music.

Industrial sounding music could easily make a comeback at some point and be the most relevant type of music out there. These trends go in circles, but a good song is a good song. That's why songs like Jungle, Smells Like Teen Spirit or even The Beautiful People will always be considered classics.

See you have a great point there, there's is a cycle in music. And by crossing our history with the history of music you understand why there's no place for Rock with this generation.

Rock moved a wave of rebellious and angry post-war teens, the World was a tougher place, Baby-boomers and the Generation X had to deal with a lot of poverty and they didn't have access to a lot of things Millenials and Gen Z (argh!) do. So a angry style of music doesn't ressonate with them!

There's a sheik in Dubai that said something very emblematic about the future of the country and that can be applied here, he said: "My grandfather rode a camel, my father rode a camel, I drive a Mercedes, my son drives a Land Rover, his son will drive a Land Rover, but his son will ride a camel".

What he means is that there is a cycle in the world and that tougher times create tougher people that create softer times that create softer people that create tougher times and all that comes along.

Maybe Rock will become mainstream again after the Trump, Bolsonaro, Pandemic eras and the World crisis that's yet to come in the next couple of years due to COVID.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CAFC Nick said:

Yeah you're absolutely correct here. I can't think of anyone that would give a sh*t about an unreleased GN'R demo (with no Axl vocals and no original members) from 1999. Having said that, hardcore fans and even fairweather GN'R fans I think would get on board with the material. As toxic as this board can be at times, to see the "Fuck you Bob Ezrin" thread come out once the Village sessions leaked showed that the fans here still deep down want Axl and co. to succeed.

However, the casual GN'R fans that I have shown Hardschool and Atlas too have been unanimously positive about the songs. Will they ever demand Atlas over SCOM? Absolutely not, but while I think these songs would never take over the "classics" I do think they would add more depth to their catalogue to further build over time.

An example I use is Muse (may not be completely relevant due to age/success of the band), but I think that every Muse album has 2-3 very good songs on it. No album they have made absolutely slaps from wall-to-wall, but if they have been successful for approx 20 years now. Assume an album every 2-3 years and you now have a library of 20 very good songs for what becomes a very solid setlist. Now, if GN'R can release another album with 2-3 great songs on, this means they can rotate these songs in and out and hopefully we won't have to keep listening to covers!

Anyway apologies I went off on a bit of a tangent there. Do agree with your comments for sure, and I was quite surprised with the lack of traction on the tabloid sites when these sessions leaked!

The problem is that, to me, every GNR record was perfect! I even think that "My World" is cool! Even the TSI record is so perfect to me, not a the same level of AFD or Lies or the Illusions records, but unique as it should!

The problem to me starts with Better! With the three guitars, GNR to me was a PUNK band that played so well that they could not be labeled as punk and then became a HARD ROCK band. But PUNK in its roots, vibe, power chords. If you notice that Izzy was sloppig as hell, you will know what I mean, but that was GNR! To me Gilby played better than Izzy, but Izzy was more creative.

GNR became something with CD, the only guitar player I like from that era is Fortus and Finck, because they can be both (lead and rhythm). don't even get me started on Ashba, Huge, Bumble and Bucket.

And then there's this lack of material, which is nonsense, they had potential to  be bigger then the Beatles! But they don't want to...

Edited by Legendador
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mystery said:

Really the only way is a deluxe version of CD or even a Chinese Democracy sessions compilation. Other artists have done this. You could have the original mixes, remixes, and the rest of the songs that were recorded. Even updated versions of some of the leaked songs. I think it could really put that era to rest.

One question I have is what are the earliest recorded CD songs with vocals? The bulk of the songs were said to be recorded from 98-00. I'd like to know what was recorded in 98. Also what was it that got Axl back to singing and writing lyrics after such a rough period for him personally?

If UYI is getting the Deluxe treatment then CD absolutely should too - and then we can get bundles of stuff. By the time that would likely arrive I’d expect GNR will have packed it in by then so no ‘issues’ with the current band.

5 hours ago, JimiRose said:

I think muse have 2 great albums (black holes and drones), then 2-3 great songs per album but i completely agree. Most bands (aside from the beatles) will have 2-3 wall to wall fantastic albums, and then after that 2-3 good songs per album, and a few more songs hardcore fans will adore and occasionally be rolled out live as a 'deep cut'. It's annoying that GnR could have released an album in 95 with the original band and 3 more albums with the new band. Even 3 good songs on each album would have equalled 12 more 'classic' GnR songs. But instead the live show is made up of 80% of appetite. 

I'll always use Metallica and Hardwired. That album is a fucking beast. their best album since the black album, maybe their 4th best album. and they did that in theirs 50s and after a couple meh albums. 8/9 songs I'd happily hear take up half their live set. I don't expect a GnR album to be that good but there's no reason it can't come close. 

Hardwired is a cracker in that it blends different song styles from across their career - there is something for everyone.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but aside from CD and AFD (where I like most of the songs on) I don't think GN'R has put out another album I can listen to all the way through without skipping songs. UYI2, maybe, but not quite. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with you guys. It's frustrating that there hasn't been more albums and it's also true about the hit and miss ratio. CD has some good songs, some okay songs, and some stuff I skip. Overall I think it's a solid album but it gets picked apart because it's basically all we've had to go by for a long time. 

Releasing more albums from different era's with a different mindset and vision for each album would've yielded more good songs.

It would've also helped out Axl. I'm sure he would've changed his singing for newer songs and it could've benefited him live. Rotate some of the more vocally demanding songs.

At least they've pulled out some older songs. Dont think I ever expected Locomotive to be played live. The band and even Axl were probably tired of the same old. As many have said, there's still older songs of their's they can play instead of the same old covers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but aside from CD and AFD (where I like most of the songs on) I don't think GN'R has put out another album I can listen to all the way through without skipping songs. UYI2, maybe, but not quite. 

Music taste is subjective so don't take my comment too seriously but I think there might be something wrong with you. :P:D

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sisyphus said:

Music taste is subjective so don't take my comment too seriously but I think there might be something wrong with you. :P:D

Think? I know so. :)

I'm a weirdo that would pay many more times for a 2006 CD2 vs a 2016-present new album. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

If UYI is getting the Deluxe treatment then CD absolutely should too - and then we can get bundles of stuff. By the time that would likely arrive I’d expect GNR will have packed it in by then so no ‘issues’ with the current band.

Hardwired is a cracker in that it blends different song styles from across their career - there is something for everyone.

Is this true? If so it would be nice. AFD is the more important and historical album but UYI was when they became a global band. I'd like to hear the rough mix version Slash mentioned in 95. He said it was better than the released albums.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting the thread back on topic, someone mentioned the first tracks made for CD. 

Omg was written in 97 and some demo work between Paul and Dizzy but the rest was recorded in 98 and finished in 99. Madagascar was the first track started in 98 that made it on the album with Pitman playing that descending chord progression intro. 

Prostitute, obviously written in 93 was started in 98 along with The Blues, Catcher, Riad, Twat, CD and irs. 

If the World was mostly composed by Pitman with him playing most of the instruments on the locker disc version. Vocals recorded by Sean so this makes it 99, Bucket laying down his guitar parts early 2000.

Looking at the locker discs does make you realise how little Axl had done vocally by early 2000. Pretty much had 15 songs recorded with vocals. By late 2000, still the same amount of tracks ready with vox. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, mystery said:

Is this true? If so it would be nice. AFD is the more important and historical album but UYI was when they became a global band. I'd like to hear the rough mix version Slash mentioned in 95. He said it was better than the released albums.

@troccoli is one of the biggest GNR collectors about and provided stuff for the AFD Deluxe sets. So it’s certainly being planned. 👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Getting the thread back on topic, someone mentioned the first tracks made for CD. 

Omg was written in 97 and some demo work between Paul and Dizzy but the rest was recorded in 98 and finished in 99. Madagascar was the first track started in 98 that made it on the album with Pitman playing that descending chord progression intro. 

Prostitute, obviously written in 93 was started in 98 along with The Blues, Catcher, Riad, Twat, CD and irs. 

If the World was mostly composed by Pitman with him playing most of the instruments on the locker disc version. Vocals recorded by Sean so this makes it 99, Bucket laying down his guitar parts early 2000.

Looking at the locker discs does make you realise how little Axl had done vocally by early 2000. Pretty much had 15 songs recorded with vocals. By late 2000, still the same amount of tracks ready with vox. 

Is this right?? I thought it would be This I Love from 93....I’ve never heard of Prostitute originating from early 90s?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

If UYI is getting the Deluxe treatment then CD absolutely should too - and then we can get bundles of stuff. By the time that would likely arrive I’d expect GNR will have packed it in by then so no ‘issues’ with the current band.

Hardwired is a cracker in that it blends different song styles from across their career - there is something for everyone.

I really think  any deluxe edition of CD should include the version that was originally handed in to the record company in what 99?.

Any versions from other members and thats it. Release the lot.

2 hours ago, mystery said:

Is this true? If so it would be nice. AFD is the more important and historical album but UYI was when they became a global band. I'd like to hear the rough mix version Slash mentioned in 95. He said it was better than the released albums.

Yep i hope the original mixes slash has will be apart of the boxset.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I really think  any deluxe edition of CD should include the version that was originally handed in to the record company in what 99?.

Any versions from other members and thats it. Release the lot.

Yep i hope the original mixes slash has will be apart of the boxset.

100% - barring any legal issues for whatever reason there is no doubt it should all get included.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

100% - barring any legal issues for whatever reason there is no doubt it should all get included.

I wonder how much say do other ex band members have if any parts of the old songs are included whether they get credits or have any say whether any musical parts are approved by them to be included in any release......

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

I wonder how much say do other ex band members have if any parts of the old songs are included whether they get credits or have any say whether any musical parts are approved by them to be included in any release......

That’s what I was thinking. Although my gut tells me that everything recorded will be owned by GNR somehow. I’d doubt the ex members would have an issue anyway as the alternative is he stuff rots never to be heard - this way they get something!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 7:26 AM, CAFC Nick said:

Wait, so Me and My Elvis --> Leave Me Alone --> Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul? You sure on that?

Leave Me Alone -> Me & My Elvis -> Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul -> Soul Monster.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...