North America 2021 rescheduled/cancelled/new tour dates discussion thread

On 2/12/2021 at 9:08 PM, Gavin82 said:

We thought GnR cut it fine last year with there announcement The Who UK is still yet to postpone or I'm guessing cancel due to start 1st wk of March.

The Who cancelled their tour yesterday.

The Who UK and Ireland Tour 2021 - The Who

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Subtle Signs said:

I can't believe anyone thinks GnR in the States this Summer might happen. Zero chance. There's a reason no major new Summer tours haven't been announced. Everything on the books (Guns, motley/def lep) got pushed from last year. 

Yeah, even with the vaccines it is cutting it too close. Small gigs might be doable this summer though!

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Yeah, even with the vaccines it is cutting it too close. Small gigs might be doable this summer though!

I hope so. I really hope we will get club gigs back by summer. But the rollout and availability of the vaccine in Austria is really slow. So I don t know. I am so hungry for rock shows😔

14 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

The bubble (before the latest issue in NZ) was only one-way... Going from NZ into Australia was fine because of no community transmission. Anyone going to NZ from Australia would still have to quarantine for 2 weeks.

Ah right, I had it in my head it was both ways.

Edited by Juventino

I’ve held off buying Sydney tickets for now, I’m thinking I’ll get some in around September.  I did stupidly however book tickets/ airfares/hotel for Adelaide.... I know I can get the tickets and hotel refunded but I’d probably lose the airfares if COVID is still a big deal come November. 

2 hours ago, Frankfurt93 said:

don't want to sound like prophet, but...

If this shit continues, I am afraid we might have seen the last concert of GNR, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Stones, Aerosmith...

Let's be honest Axl and Jon couldn't sing for the past 2-3 years, another 1-2 years of no touring will shut their chords completely

That’s a valid point. 

It's a real concern because with the greatest respect to Axl, you wonder what a 2 year absence will do to his singing voice. I've no doubt they'll keep touring because fans will want to see shows as soon as we can but they aren't getting younger. I took my money back from the MetLife show last Summer because I had 3 floor seats that totaled almost $800. In New York we feel so far away from a concert being a reality that it just didn't make sense to me to keep that credit with the band.

11 hours ago, Frankfurt93 said:

don't want to sound like prophet, but...

If this shit continues, I am afraid we might have seen the last concert of GNR, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Stones, Aerosmith...

Let's be honest Axl and Jon couldn't sing for the past 2-3 years, another 1-2 years of no touring will shut their chords completely

You might be right. I consider bon jovi s voice worse than Axl s though. 
it a terrible what covid does to our favorite bands - this generation of hardrock bands doesn’t have more than 5-10 years left and almost 2 years will be stolen by a fucking pandemic 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/15/2021 at 1:43 PM, Spike Killer said:

I remain optimistic about a lot of things but a return to normal likely won't ever happen - if I'm honest.  

It's real interesting.  If I don't do the summer GNR show, I likely won't buy a ticket to an event for a while.  As long as people believe in magic masks and treat outsiders as a potential threat - I don't need that negativity.   I keep a good diet, work out everyday with cardio and strength, maintain a good sleep schedule, and keep myself overall healthy.  I'm confident in whatever happens next.

Fortunately, GNR is just one band of many that I like.  While a GNR show would be incredible, a great many bands I like are doing semi-regular live music PPV and archive releases.  So I'm ok with livestreams being my avenue for listening to live music.

Concerts will eventually return, as normal. Far too much money involved for them not to. 

Live streams are not an alternative to actual live shows. They will do for now, but as a full time replacement, no. They also wouldn't sustain artists financially, so most bands would be finished if actual live shows were a thing of the past.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Natty said:

You might be right. I consider bon jovi s voice worse than Axl s though. 
it a terrible what covid does to our favorite bands - this generation of hardrock bands doesn’t have more than 5-10 years left and almost 2 years will be stolen by a fucking pandemic 

Axl can still hit high notes, but besides that they both sound fairly unrecognisable these days. If someone took a sample of 'Livin on a prayer' and 'Sweet child' with no video and asked people to say 100% that what they were hearing was either the artist or a cover band, I think most people (who don't follow these bands religiously) would struggle.

At least Axl has glimmers of his old voice, Jon seems to be ok with not being able to hit the high notes and has sit back into crooning through his songs, while his back up band sings the high notes he used to. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Concerts will eventually return, as normal. Far too much money involved for them not to. 

Live streams are not an alternative to actual live shows. They will do for now, but as a full time replacement, no. They also wouldn't sustain artists financially, so most bands would be finished if actual live shows were a thing of the past.

Let's pretend, for example, that tomorrow there are no restrictions and large gatherings and tours and concerts can resume as fast as they can be organized.

Let's examine very briefly what happened with the cancellations/rescheduling from last year.  How many people are going to be willing to pay good money for a concert weeks or months away, if there is a chance that it will get rescheduled and your money tied up on an event that may or may not happen?  What will the public's appetite be to pay for tickets almost a year in advance, which seemed to the be industry norm for the larger touring acts?

We can pretend that COVID-19 is a one and done, but infectious diseases like this have always been a thing.  I'm not an expert, but I'm seeing historical graphs with peaks and valleys that resemble the COVID-19 movement.  Does that mean winter/spring tours will be a thing of the past?  Will concerts be scheduled around summer months only in outdoor venues only?  What does that mean for the rest of the venues (I'd argue majority without having proof).

Economics aside, how long will the behavior that became a normal during this pandemic go away?  Will it go away?  Do you want to go to a public event with an inherent mistrust of the people around you?  It's stressful.  Air travel already is stressful and that's only being around the same dozen or so people?  What will it mean for people when it's a stadium or concert hall full of people?  I've spent all of my years not worried about such things, but the habit has already become ingrained.  It takes a lot of willpower not to be cautious around others.

100%, a traditional concert is best for everyone.  The bands I'm talking about are predominately jam bands who have built a fan base that supports video streaming of concerts.  They were also the first bands to do the drive-in concerts that were quite popular in many parts of the States.  There's money there but I'd say it relies heavily on the band already conditioning their audience to be there and supportive of streams (audio or visual).  Bob Weir has been working to create this concert/business model, I want to say, for the last ten or more years through TRI Studios.  The technology has reached the point where the ideas can be implemented.  

2 hours ago, Spike Killer said:

Let's pretend, for example, that tomorrow there are no restrictions and large gatherings and tours and concerts can resume as fast as they can be organized.

Let's examine very briefly what happened with the cancellations/rescheduling from last year.  How many people are going to be willing to pay good money for a concert weeks or months away, if there is a chance that it will get rescheduled and your money tied up on an event that may or may not happen?  What will the public's appetite be to pay for tickets almost a year in advance, which seemed to the be industry norm for the larger touring acts?

We can pretend that COVID-19 is a one and done, but infectious diseases like this have always been a thing.  I'm not an expert, but I'm seeing historical graphs with peaks and valleys that resemble the COVID-19 movement.  Does that mean winter/spring tours will be a thing of the past?  Will concerts be scheduled around summer months only in outdoor venues only?  What does that mean for the rest of the venues (I'd argue majority without having proof).

Economics aside, how long will the behavior that became a normal during this pandemic go away?  Will it go away?  Do you want to go to a public event with an inherent mistrust of the people around you?  It's stressful.  Air travel already is stressful and that's only being around the same dozen or so people?  What will it mean for people when it's a stadium or concert hall full of people?  I've spent all of my years not worried about such things, but the habit has already become ingrained.  It takes a lot of willpower not to be cautious around others.

100%, a traditional concert is best for everyone.  The bands I'm talking about are predominately jam bands who have built a fan base that supports video streaming of concerts.  They were also the first bands to do the drive-in concerts that were quite popular in many parts of the States.  There's money there but I'd say it relies heavily on the band already conditioning their audience to be there and supportive of streams (audio or visual).  Bob Weir has been working to create this concert/business model, I want to say, for the last ten or more years through TRI Studios.  The technology has reached the point where the ideas can be implemented.  

Well, bands announced dates for this March last year and the tickets sold, this happened while the whole refund debacle was in full swing. Those concerts sold incredibly well. There's demand and a hunger for live music. It will return, it will be more expensive than ever and people will complain but ultimately they will go because there is no replacing it.

As for jam bands doing live streams, ok... but the experience for band and fan is completely changed. The band doesn't play the same way and the fans are hundreds and thousands of miles away... it's not a replacement, it is a small welcome distraction though. 

Look Metallica did their live stream and had everybody on the screens watching live, it's the best that can be done and they are the biggest hand doing this stuff and they are saying it's a very limited market. You can only do it so many times before people lose interest.

Outside of VE headset / suit  tech making huge leaps people are always, always! Going to choose in person rather than.at home.

Covid and infections disease is going to be an ongoing thing too, I don't disagree but I imagine 1. The vaccines will subdue it enough 2. We will start to wear some masks in built up crowds. 3. There are people working right now with the performance industry trying to figure out the safest way to return to concerts. It will happen... but you're looking at early to mid 2022 in my opinion... well at least for big shows, clubs may return in winter if things don't spiral again.

Edited by Tom2112

3 hours ago, Spike Killer said:

Good post, and points. 

I think ultimately though people will be quick to forget and cast aside their fears. They have short memories for this sort of thing,and there will be a general desire to do these things when they're allowed. Difficulties are probably going to arise around people having money- but then this pandemic has basically meant that those who have money have got richer and the poor have got poorer. So it's possible the sort of people who can afford to throw around hundreds on stadium shows will be able to do so even more. 

In terms of bands- they'll tour at the drop of a hat, from the moment they get the signal. Especially the big ones like GNR who we knew value money very highly. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Good post, and points. 

I think ultimately though people will be quick to forget and cast aside their fears. They have short memories for this sort of thing,and there will be a general desire to do these things when they're allowed. Difficulties are probably going to arise around people having money- but then this pandemic has basically meant that those who have money have got richer and the poor have got poorer. So it's possible the sort of people who can afford to throw around hundreds on stadium shows will be able to do so even more. 

In terms of bands- they'll tour at the drop of a hat, from the moment they get the signal. Especially the big ones like GNR who we knew value money very highly. 

I think you're right. They may require vaccines or a negative test to enter the show though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I think you're right. They may require vaccines or a negative test to enter the show though.

Yeah I think both are quite likely. I was reading just today how employers are introducing a 'no jab, no job' policy, so I would imagine that will form a large part of the plan for the entertainment industry's return. 

We'll get there though. I really don't believe things have 'changed forever' personally. I can see why people think that, but in my view it's inevitable we will. 

On 2/16/2021 at 5:04 AM, Subtle Signs said:

I can't believe anyone thinks GnR in the States this Summer might happen. Zero chance. There's a reason no major new Summer tours haven't been announced. Everything on the books (Guns, motley/def lep) got pushed from last year. 

I was recently  notified that Disturbed added a concert date at Jones Beach in NY for this summer.  

Edited by Draguns

Slightly off topic, but I just had an interesting observation regarding live shows and wasn’t sure where else to mention this:

at recent shows, Axl seems to sing HIGHER than he’s supposed to, instead of lower (which is what happens to most singers when they age). So, rather than tuning DOWN like most bands eventually do, maybe GnR should tune UP to standard. It’d be interesting to see if they’d be willing to try that on a future tour.