North America 2021 rescheduled/cancelled/new tour dates discussion thread

3 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

It was confirmed in the lawsuit with Irving and Axl. Irving told Axl they were going to go on a co-headline tour with Van Halen, GNR were held up waiting on Van Halen it never materialised and that's ONE of the reasons the tour didn't start until Dec 2009. 

Even with 2009 DLR fronting VH, that would have been an incredible tour!

Yeah Van Halen already had a lot of issues between 2008 and 2012, from what I remember. They didn’t even play a single show during those four years, and then most of their 2013 tour ended up getting canceled anyway. Shame that band went out on a whimper.

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah Van Halen already had a lot of issues between 2008 and 2012, from what I remember. They didn’t even play a single show during those four years, and then most of their 2013 tour ended up getting canceled anyway. Shame that band went out on a whimper.

Well Eddie and the band were playing like motherfuckers! but DLR was just all over the place forgetting lyrics so it kind of derailed things. That's the real shame, should have fired him and got Michael Starr or just asked Sammy to come back and then tour the Van Hagar era seen as they had toured the old stuff since 2007 on and off.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

4 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Honestly this is just so depressing. It's like following The Rolling Stones, Eagles or Queen. The only difference is those bands don't have albums worth of material they've been hoarding for decades.

I don't even remotely see where the comparison is to be made, beyond " endless nostalgia tours". I'm not well enough versed on The Eagles to comment there, but Queen and the Stones do tour purely out of nostalgia but both have large enough catalogues to pull from that things still feel fresh. Queen overhauls their setlist from tour to tour fairly heavily, and the Stones rotate about fours songs every night so they can play all the massive hits but still pull out a few good, deep cuts. I've seen the Stones 11 times now and every single time they've done at least song I haven't seen live before. So while both bands do play heavy on the nostalgia, they're both very good at drawing repeat customers by not offering the exact same thing every time. Guns can't do nostalgia on the same level because they just don't have the catalogue depth. 

As for material they've been hoarding...the Stones absolutely do. Every time, literally every time, the Stones do a super deluxe edition of an album, they drop in at least a handful of unreleased songs - sometimes up to an album's worth as was the case with Exile and Some Girls. The only one that springs to mind that didn't actually have any unreleased songs is Sticky Fingers, which still had some unreleased alternate takes such as the version of Brown Sugar with Eric Clapton on it. And there's still more out there - a couple months ago fifty new mostly finished, mostly mastered tracks leaked spanning the band's entire career. Of those fifty tracks, a large number had never been heard in any version or any quality, some had never even been heard of before, and some had only been rumored to exist (Such as the version of IORR with Bowie on it). I can't even imagine how deep the Stones' vault goes, it truly seems endless. 

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the gigs I saw across all three of the reunion era tours. Dave was fairly good in 2007, and he was...Dave in 2012 and 2015, but the band was absolutely on fire those two tours. Especially in 2015 - the band dug out some really great extremely deep cuts like Light Up The Sky, Feel Your Love Tonight, Dirty Movies, and Drop Dead Legs (The latter two of which had never been played live before). On the 2012 tour there were also some good deep cuts which they did a good job of rotating from night-to-night. You can say what you want about Dave, but the band just kept getting better and more exciting musically over the last decade. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

She doesn't add anything, but I don't really have a problem with her being up there.  I just don't see why, they'd be just as fine without her......but it's not my band, so I don't worry about it.

She must add something in Axl’s mind or why pay her? If it’s such a cash grab then if she wasn’t needed she wouldn’t be there.

54 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

17000 capacity venues are no easy sell, but yeah! that's a considerable downgrade from 80000 stadiums across the US. At some point you would imagine the penny drops and they say "shit we were selling out stadiums last time we toured!! what the fuck happened".

Eddie Trunk discussed this in 2017 or 2018? he basically said they have to create some new excitement to maintain stadium level, otherwise they'll get bumped back to arenas (where they'll happily sell out, but for considerably less $$$). He also said he didn't think there would a new GNR album, maybe a single or two. He made a great point about bands not having records ready or near ready coming out of the pandemic and that's they if they haven't worked on anything, then they won't be working on anything for a long time, if ever. I know people hate Trunk but it's hard to argue with any of what he said there.

The band are okaying baseball stadiums from what I saw on Ticketmaster. Baseball stadiums are much smaller than NFL stadiums. 

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

She doesn't add anything, but I don't really have a problem with her being up there.  I just don't see why, they'd be just as fine without her......but it's not my band, so I don't worry about it.

They needed someone for Chris' role, as an "enhancer" as I believe she put it in an interview.

Plus, GN'R can say they have a female member, which makes a band that has a history of diversity, be even more diverse and inclusive of different races and now both genders.

• Sad 1

Thought I’d ask this here since I feel some may be knowledgeable about this and I just want to be prepared. 

So I’ve only been in the pit once before for a concert; it was for Guns back in 2017. I initially bought tickets in the 100 section for about $150 a year before but the morning of my show, I noticed that pit tickets were not only still available but decreased to $150 and thanks to a forum member here actually who gave me the tip of upgrading my ticket, I ended up getting pit tickets that morning still with the price of $150. I got front row, Axl waved at me twice; it was legit one of the best nights of my life. 

Now that was a stadium. My question is, with the Dallas show being an arena show, is there equal chance of pit tickets 1) even still available the morning of and 2) prices dropping to that level again or did I just get lucky? I just don’t want to miss out on pit. 

Edited by GNRfanJen

1 hour ago, GNRfanJen said:

Thought I’d ask this here since I feel some may be knowledgeable about this and I just want to be prepared. 

So I’ve only been in the pit once before for a concert; it was for Guns back in 2017. I initially bought tickets in the 100 section for about $150 a year before but the morning of my show, I noticed that pit tickets were not only still available but decreased to $150 and thanks to a forum member here actually who gave me the tip of upgrading my ticket, I ended up getting pit tickets that morning still with the price of $150. I got front row, Axl waved at me twice; it was legit one of the best nights of my life. 

Now that was a stadium. My question is, with the Dallas show being an arena show, is there equal chance of pit tickets 1) even still available the morning of and 2) prices dropping to that level again or did I just get lucky? I just don’t want to miss out on pit. 

If price is an issue why don’t you apply for Ticketmaster’s payment plan.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Nicklord said:

The poster looks atrocious 

No description available.

I actually won't mind this poster IF it was a cover art for a new record. But then again, it's just a tasteless(no pun intended... okay pun intended) design with the spike protein.

Also did the f'n designer just discovered how to put strokes on texts? It looks terrible. 

• Like 1

I’m kinda conflicted here. On one hand I was glad the tour didn’t come near me so I didn’t have an excuse to drop a few hundred and go. But with the new Vegas date and being locked inside for over a year I might just bite the bullet and go see my favorite band, even if it’s the same show I’ve seen 4 times already lol. I’ll probably wait until I hear how Axl sounds before I buy any tickets 

1 hour ago, slash23579 said:

I’m kinda conflicted here. On one hand I was glad the tour didn’t come near me so I didn’t have an excuse to drop a few hundred and go. But with the new Vegas date and being locked inside for over a year I might just bite the bullet and go see my favorite band, even if it’s the same show I’ve seen 4 times already lol. I’ll probably wait until I hear how Axl sounds before I buy any tickets 

I was conflicted as well, but sort of the opposite way - I was still holding my 2 pit tickets for MetLife after the rescheduling, despite my dislike of stadium shows. Was planning on going (I mean… it’s a GNR concert) but wasn’t hugely looking forward to standing in a shit venue in the NJ humidity to see likely the same show I’ve seen some 9 times since 2016.

With today’s announcement I grabbed the two Atlantic City shows and I’ll grab Vegas when they go up, and I unloaded my MetLife pits on StubHub this afternoon within an hour of listing them.

• Like 1

They're going to have to get a move on with selling these tickets aren't they? 

I'm not sure whether some f'n billboards and some f'n image that it took me about half an hour to work out what it was meant to be will f'n work too well. I'll have to f'n wait and see I suppose. 

Any f'n chance of them f'n doing something that isn't f'n highly priced live shows is looking more f'n unlikely all the f'n time I feel. 

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, thomasmcole said:

Do guns even have enough songs to do an all new show without playing a load of obscure random tracks for the sake of it? Man, next year is 10yrs since I started listening to guns and there hasn't been any new songs aside from the leaks 😔

They could add Silkworms and Oh My God back into the setlist. If they can get Bucket to return for a few shows, maybe they can add Scraped and Shackler's Revenge too. Fortus could also handle the guitar parts on those songs.

20 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

They could add Silkworms and Oh My God back into the setlist. If they can get Bucket to return for a few shows, maybe they can add Scraped and Shackler's Revenge too. Fortus could also handle the guitar parts on those songs.

Yes, I think audiences would go wild for a good boisterous sing along to Silkworms and Scraped! I could see the Internet possibly breaking when the fan videos appeared online. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Yes, I think audiences would go wild for a good boisterous sing along to Silkworms and Scraped! I could see the Internet possibly breaking when the fan videos appeared online. 

Silkworms would give Axl a decent vocals break. Scraped, that would probably be a bit hard.

1 minute ago, Sweersa said:

Silkworms would give Axl a decent vocals break. Scraped, that would probably be a bit hard.

Eh, aye sure! Possibly two of the worst tracks ever recorded under the GNR banner, in my opinion. Absolutely atrocious tracks.

• Like 1