North America 2021 rescheduled/cancelled/new tour dates discussion thread

36 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

😂

So let me get this straight:

if GN'R tours and it's successful, then the people get to point out how popular GN'R is. 

But if ticket sales are so dismal that they had to reduce the tour to arenas, then fans should just shut up and he happy they're touring at all? 

No, of course I never implied anyone should shut up. As I tried to make clear in later posts, it was a general reflection over the fact that people are more concerned over the band selling poorly than the fact that the band is touring, and, then I tried (but failed) to say that in an ideal world, it would be the opposite: fans would be happy over the band touring and few would be overly concerned over the economic viability of the tour. But take it however you like.

This all made me think about what it means to be a fan...again, and even what we mean when we say we are fans. Personally, I am often reluctant to say I am a fan of the band simply because there are so many things throughout its history that I find impossible to like, admire and appreciate. So I say I am a fan of the music, or at least some of it. And that's not being a typical fan of a band, is it? In that more adolescent, poster-on-the-wall, defend it when your mates say disparaging things about it, type-of-fan. I kind of reject all that. I was like that before, thought, but that's ages ago. Now I am blunt and jaded. Is it even possible to be a proper fan of the band in that all-encompassing sense of word? It surely must be much easier with a band like AC/DC or Metallica who are more homogenous in how they come about, not a band that has changed its musical expressions so much, changed so much in so many ways from gutter rats to primadonnas, and generally been so controversial and quick to alienate fans. I think most of us are really just fans of aspects of the band. And if we allow ourselves to break down what being a fan really means and implies for each of us, we would probably along these lines conclude we are not huge fans of the band as it is today. We are fans of the band as it was at some point when we got hooked, when Axl was hot, when Slash was drugged, when Duff could get away with being "punk", when they appeared like a gang, when they filled stadiums across the world, etc. Whatever got us started. And some are maybe even more fans of what could have been, or possible could be in the future. Fans of a dream of what might be to come, or should have been. Not what we have now. Is anyone even getting hooked these days? The obvious counter-point to all of this is of course that this is what it is to be a fan, you like some parts and not others, and all I have said is just obvious babble. But it also seems to me that some fans struggle to accept they are not fans of what we have today and tries hard to cognitively resolve the fact that what they became fans of is far from what they try to be fans of today, or to accept that their fandom is limited. As if it is not okay to simply say that this isn't my cup of tea anymore without being all butthurt about it. For some seem to try hard to cognitively reconcile the expectations they have of being a fan with the reality of not really being it anymore, and failing to do so, especially when they have invested so much emotionally in their fandom, makes them into these "fan forum poltergeists" that just can't unfetter themselves and leave this mortal coil happily. Because normally it should be a trivial thing to accept that something you like isn't that cool anymore. People don't ramble and rave about suddenly not liking oranges, as an example. We move on. But expectations on what it means to be a fan, burdened by all one has emotionally done for the band (defended it against mates, hoped and dreamt, how the band has made one happy before) creates a connection that is hard to break. And besides, as soon as the band does anything good -- like rehearse a new song, have a great show, indicate new music, etc -- it kind of immediately justifies hanging around, justifies still being a fan, justifies having failed at pushing the square peg of not really liking the band anymore into the round hole of self-identifying as a fan, still spending time on this, even if whatever they do is just a temporary blip in an otherwise steady decline towards the end. Then they can revel in their fandom again, point out that they really were fans and that all their complaints came from a good place, even it is just for a short while before they descend into fangloom again.

Anyway, just more of a stream-of-thought post, more meant as a starting point for a discussion or to spur some thoughts than being "THE TRUTH". 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

No, of course I never implied anyone should shut up. As I tried to make clear in later posts, it was a general reflection over the fact that people are more concerned over the band selling poorly than the fact that the band is touring, and, then I tried (but failed) to say that in an ideal world, it would be the opposite: fans would be happy over the band touring and few would be overly concerned over the economic viability of the tour. But take it however you like.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

I agree, some people seem almost happy about it :D

Here's an example of "taking it however you like". 

You and a few others on here assume anyone is "happy" to see GN'R in the terrible shape they're in. It's quite the contrary actually. 

3 hours ago, Dangom1 said:

Imagine, lights out, intro, then guitar and drum starts "all cautions made...." boom open with Hardschool

That would be great. I just hope they add some different songs, UYI stuff or whatever. They should play Reckless Life again, Axl could probably pull that one off.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Here's an example of "taking it however you like". 

You and a few others on here assume anyone is "happy" to see GN'R in the terrible shape they're in. It's quite the contrary actually. 

I am sure many are happy to see the current band. I think the vast majority of people going to gigs are having a great time. Casuals don't let minor stuff ruin a great night out, a show and a party. 

21 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am sure many are happy to see the current band. I think the vast majority of people going to gigs are having a great time. Casuals don't let minor stuff ruin a great night out, a show and a party. 

LOL at "minor stuff". Minor stuff like exactly the same setlist, a stage show that looks like a Windows98 screensaver and of course I lead singer who couldn't care less to put on a decent vocal performance....ya know, minor stuff. 

11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

LOL at "minor stuff". Minor stuff like exactly the same setlist, a stage show that looks like a Windows98 screensaver and of course I lead singer who couldn't care less to put on a decent vocal performance....ya know, minor stuff. 

Obviously they consider it minor things since it don't ruin their gig. You might not, and that’s entirely cool. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Obviously they consider it minor things since it don't ruin their gig. You might not, and that’s entirely cool. 

It doesn't ruin MY night because I, like many other people, stopped giving GN'R money for a sub par product. Thus, the downsizing of the tour and poor ticket sales.

34 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Of course they are. If you roam around here a lot you might think that everyone feels the same way, but fortunately that is not true. Many casual, but also diehard fans, are still happy to attend a show and have a great day out and aren't as concerned about the lack of new music, Axl's voice, or whatever, as a lot of folks on here.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/guns-n-roses-november-rain-2020-live-1177249/

Well, they deserve this kind of articles more

"For these keeping track, this is essentially the same reunion tour that launched back in 2016 and has already grossed more than half a billion dollars."

Amazingly, many of the stadiums they’re hitting this summer are the same ones they hit in 2016.

And since that time, they’ve released 0.0 seconds of new music. They have changed up the set list a bit, adding in deep cuts like “Locomotive,” “Dead Horse,” and “Shadow of Your Love” along with covers like “Wichita Lineman,” “Black Hole Sun,” and even “Slither” by Velvet Revolver. But the bulk of the set is built around their hits and they never leave the stage without playing every single one of them.

• Like 2

Tomorrow is the sale day for the Dallas concert. I really was hoping GNR would have waited until next year, but I gotta go. I will wear a mask even though I'm vaccinated. Not sure how the venue willl handle it. I can't not see GNR. The month after I have KISS. This should be the concerts for this year.

I still don't feel totally safe going out to huge concerts, but what can I do? Just hope my mom, brother and I are okay after these concerts.

Seems like some bands postponed until 2022 (Crue) or are touring in the fall. Hopefully all will be okay so we feel comfortable enough to rock out for 3 hours or more.

The tickets for Dallas seem high like the last time GNR was here. Floor seats are nuts, but I usually like to sit in the 100 level. Guess I'll see what I get tomorrow.

Yeah, sometimes waiting until the day of you can the best tickets, but I can't wait that long. lol

27 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Of course they are. If you roam around here a lot you might think that everyone feels the same way, but fortunately that is not true. Many casual, but also diehard fans, are still happy to attend a show and have a great day out and aren't as concerned about the lack of new music, Axl's voice, or whatever, as a lot of folks on here.

As long as GNR come to Dallas I will be there!  Never get tired of hearing any GNR songs over and over again. This band rocks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

😂

So let me get this straight:

if GN'R tours and it's successful, then the people get to point out how popular GN'R is. 

But if ticket sales are so dismal that they had to reduce the tour to arenas, then fans should just shut up and he happy they're touring at all? 

I'm curious where the ridiculous "they had to do arenas last time because it was cold in one part of the US" agurment stands now too, seeing as it's hot all over the US for the coming months, yet they're doing a lot of arenas. 

Also, I don't know any fans or forum members who are "worried" about whether a GN'R tour fails financially or not. The only thing I know of is fans disappointed that a band they want to love keeps giving them nothing but the absolute bare minimum. 

I never said they did the shows in arenas because they could fill stadiums.  I said regardless if they could have or not they weren't going to do a stadium tour in the north east in November.

Whether they could have sold them out or not is irrelevant.  I also said you don't have to sell our a show for it to be successful.  A stadium show with 40k seats out of 50 sold is more successful than an arena show with 23k of 23k sold.  And like I said most of those arena shows sold out regardless.

This literally happens every time they tour, the sales look meh and then when people get there there is a venue full of people having a good time while the ol mygnr crew sits on the message board following the show thru spotty Facebook live feeds and complaining.  Not sure why anybody would want to live their lives like that but here we are.

These shows may sell out, they may not. I don't think anybody knows what is going to happen in a post covid world in the music industry.  All I know is if the tour was looking like a complete failure they would have scrapped all the shows. Not added more.  And I trust the people who have a wealth of information whether these shows should go ahead more than I trust the same ol negative voices in this group.  No offense to anybody, of course.

Anyway I'll be there July 31st having a good time.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

This all made me think about what it means to be a fan...again, and even what we mean when we say we are fans. Personally, I am often reluctant to say I am a fan of the band simply because there are so many things throughout its history that I find impossible to like, admire and appreciate. So I say I am a fan of the music, or at least some of it. And that's not being a typical fan of a band, is it? In that more adolescent, poster-on-the-wall, defend it when your mates say disparaging things about it, type-of-fan. I kind of reject all that. I was like that before, thought, but that's ages ago. Now I am blunt and jaded. Is it even possible to be a proper fan of the band in that all-encompassing sense of word? It surely must be much easier with a band like AC/DC or Metallica who are more homogenous in how they come about, not a band that has changed its musical expressions so much, changed so much in so many ways from gutter rats to primadonnas, and generally been so controversial and quick to alienate fans. I think most of us are really just fans of aspects of the band. And if we allow ourselves to break down what being a fan really means and implies for each of us, we would probably along these lines conclude we are not huge fans of the band as it is today. We are fans of the band as it was at some point when we got hooked, when Axl was hot, when Slash was drugged, when Duff could get away with being "punk", when they appeared like a gang, when they filled stadiums across the world, etc. Whatever got us started. And some are maybe even more fans of what could have been, or possible could be in the future. Fans of a dream of what might be to come, or should have been. Not what we have now. Is anyone even getting hooked these days? The obvious counter-point to all of this is of course that this is what it is to be a fan, you like some parts and not others, and all I have said is just obvious babble. But it also seems to me that some fans struggle to accept they are not fans of what we have today and tries hard to cognitively resolve the fact that what they became fans of is far from what they try to be fans of today, or to accept that their fandom is limited. As if it is not okay to simply say that this isn't my cup of tea anymore without being all butthurt about it. For some seem to try hard to cognitively reconcile the expectations they have of being a fan with the reality of not really being it anymore, and failing to do so, especially when they have invested so much emotionally in their fandom, makes them into these "fan forum poltergeists" that just can't unfetter themselves and leave this mortal coil happily. Because normally it should be a trivial thing to accept that something you like isn't that cool anymore. People don't ramble and rave about suddenly not liking oranges, as an example. We move on. But expectations on what it means to be a fan, burdened by all one has emotionally done for the band (defended it against mates, hoped and dreamt, how the band has made one happy before) creates a connection that is hard to break. And besides, as soon as the band does anything good -- like rehearse a new song, have a great show, indicate new music, etc -- it kind of immediately justifies hanging around, justifies still being a fan, justifies having failed at pushing the square peg of not really liking the band anymore into the round hole of self-identifying as a fan, still spending time on this, even if whatever they do is just a temporary blip in an otherwise steady decline towards the end. Then they can revel in their fandom again, point out that they really were fans and that all their complaints came from a good place, even it is just for a short while before they descend into fangloom again.

Anyway, just more of a stream-of-thought post, more meant as a starting point for a discussion or to spur some thoughts than being "THE TRUTH". 

for me, at this point, it's like a marriage. I'm probably not going to stop being a Gn'R fan no matter what. The band is far from perfect and someday it will come to an end so personally I do my best to enjoy the aspects that still offer something of value.

I think the bitterness of some fans come from their love of the band and/or its music. The hope that it can maybe be something more or the memory of what it once was like you said. The first priority seems to be new music for most as it is for me.

for a lot of fans it seems the tour lasted too long without something new to make it feel fresh but I see a lot of people that are excited just to see their favorite band once again which is just as legitimate as fans who are not satisfied with the current state of the band. Both types of fans opinions should and are represented in this forum as Gn'R is a very divisive band and it makes it more interesting imho.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

It doesn't ruin MY night because I, like many other people, stopped giving GN'R money for a sub par product. Thus, the downsizing of the tour and poor ticket sales.

This. The initial reunion buzz was off the charts, and Axl also killed it with AC/DC 

• Like 1

Your kidding yourself. Alot of casuals I know do care about Axls voice.

Imagine if you as a casual rocked paid to to hear a bridge school quality type performance. Would you ever want to pay again or would you be tarnished by those performances.

A real fan may give them another chance but a casual will scrap ever  wanting to go again.

Edited by vloors

1 hour ago, Bitchisback said:

I never said they did the shows in arenas because they could fill stadiums.  I said regardless if they could have or not they weren't going to do a stadium tour in the north east in November.

Whether they could have sold them out or not is irrelevant.  I also said you don't have to sell our a show for it to be successful.  A stadium show with 40k seats out of 50 sold is more successful than an arena show with 23k of 23k sold.  And like I said most of those arena shows sold out regardless.

This literally happens every time they tour, the sales look meh and then when people get there there is a venue full of people having a good time while the ol mygnr crew sits on the message board following the show thru spotty Facebook live feeds and complaining.  Not sure why anybody would want to live their lives like that but here we are.

These shows may sell out, they may not. I don't think anybody knows what is going to happen in a post covid world in the music industry.  All I know is if the tour was looking like a complete failure they would have scrapped all the shows. Not added more.  And I trust the people who have a wealth of information whether these shows should go ahead more than I trust the same ol negative voices in this group.  No offense to anybody, of course.

Anyway I'll be there July 31st having a good time.  

Absolutely no one is stopping you from going and enjoying yourself. Many of us, myself included, have gone out of our way to say we hope those going have a great time. 

That's not a reason to stop pointing out the other side of the argument though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Tomorrow is the sale day for the Dallas concert. I really was hoping GNR would have waited until next year, but I gotta go. I will wear a mask even though I'm vaccinated. Not sure how the venue willl handle it. I can't not see GNR. The month after I have KISS. This should be the concerts for this year.

I still don't feel totally safe going out to huge concerts, but what can I do? Just hope my mom, brother and I are okay after these concerts.

Seems like some bands postponed until 2022 (Crue) or are touring in the fall. Hopefully all will be okay so we feel comfortable enough to rock out for 3 hours or more.

The tickets for Dallas seem high like the last time GNR was here. Floor seats are nuts, but I usually like to sit in the 100 level. Guess I'll see what I get tomorrow.

Yeah, sometimes waiting until the day of you can the best tickets, but I can't wait that long. lol

As long as GNR come to Dallas I will be there!  Never get tired of hearing any GNR songs over and over again. This band rocks.

If you are fully vaccinated, I wouldn't worry too much. Granted, you can still get COVID, but most likely, you nor a family member will not be hospitalized and get severe. Having lived in the hardest hit area of the country when COVID started, I'm not worried. I'm fully vaccinated.  At some point, we have to learn and move on from this.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

The pointless bickering over venue size is back,

Nature is healing ^_^

There's not really any arguing happening about the venue size. There's no debate that much of the tour has been downgraded to arenas. 

If people want to see the same show over and over, with each time not being as good as the time before....have at it. I genuinely hope you get something out of it. 

Personally I wish they'd do something different and exciting, but there's no shortage of ways to spend my (limited) money if GNR don't want it at the moment! 

Edited by allwaystired

22 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

If people want to see the same show over and over, with each time not being as good as the time before....have at it. I genuinely hope you get something out of it. 

Personally I wish they'd do something different and exciting, but there's no shortage of ways to spend my (limited) money if GNR don't want it at the moment! 

I think there are plenty of people who want a new show, but also find the same show/experience enjoyable enough to justify the price tag. 

I’ve seen them over a dozen times but I still haven’t seen them play TWAT, Prostitute or Loco. I’m willing to keep rolling the dice.

Edited by Stryker
  • Like 2