North America 2021 rescheduled/cancelled/new tour dates discussion thread

32 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Tool are the exception, but Guns are too unique (given the history, lineups...) to be compared, really. Otherwise I agree. But like I said, the nostalgia etc. for me only starts with 2018. I don't suppose there was too much time and energy (also let's not forget about the AC/DC chapter) during 2016-17 to work on something seriously. 2018 was when the proper work should have started (and maybe did, we don't know). Their "fans update policy" definitely sucks big time. 

it's Axl that is unique in this situation, the rest of the band would have probably released an album already if they had a real say in it. With Tool all 4 members chose to not release anything in 13 years.

The NITL tour was selling nostalgia from the get go. They didn't even play 1 new tune live even though members of the band stated repeatedly there was a shitload of material.

I agree that maybe they're secretly not just a nostalgia act, but in reality nothing was produced and shared with the fans for a very long time which is kinda the definition of a forward looking band which doesn't only rely on their past work to bring in the cash. Last product released was the AFD box set. Not even a new live release of any kind from the tour.

Edited by Rovim

51 minutes ago, Rovim said:

it's Axl that is unique in this situation, the rest of the band would have probably released an album already if they had a real say in it. With Tool all 4 members chose to not release anything in 13 years.

The NITL tour was selling nostalgia from the get go. They didn't even play 1 new tune live even though members of the band stated repeatedly there was a shitload of material.

I agree that maybe they're secretly not just a nostalgia act, but in reality nothing was produced and shared with the fans for a very long time which is kinda the definition of a forward looking band which doesn't only rely on their past work to bring in the cash. Last product released was the AFD box set. Not even a new live release of any kind from the tour.

We don’t really differ on this, the only distinction I make here is that I just don’t blame them for not having released anything during the first two years. Too much touring, not enough time etc. The focus was on pleasing people who’d waited for this for over 20 years – and I get it. I know, they did manage to release a double album during the UYI tour, but this time it was different – there was no actual need, no pressure etc. The fact they already have material from before doesn’t really change anything about it. Hence my view that the nonsense only started in 2018, and 2016/17 doesn’t count. But I get that others may see it differently. 
As for the internal dynamics and who wants to release what, we could only speculate. Axl is at the helm, undoubtedly. Maybe Slash’s parts are already done, maybe Axl has been recuperating his vocal cords (I definitely wouldn’t want a new record with a 2019 concert quality Axl), who knows. I think the following two years will show us what’s what… 

12 hours ago, WVsax27 said:

it was a totally different tour and with a totally different production, so no on that tour he did not.

Except for the pictures and what not, I thought it wasn't that different. Doing the greatest hits with some deep cuts here and there just like during the NA tour.

I guess we can assume that Livenation sees a path to profitability for these shows despite the ticket sales so far or they would have used COVID as an excuse to cancel all of them instead of rescheduling.

On another note, since new music is likely out of the question, does anybody think they will at least change up the order of the set list for this "new" tour?

1 minute ago, Bitchisback said:

People would be so pissed if they teased a tribute band like that lol 

It gets the people talking...no such thing as bad press. It’s suuuuuper shitty, but at this point I think it’s what they’re teasing.

3 hours ago, Stryker said:

It gets the people talking...no such thing as bad press. It’s suuuuuper shitty, but at this point I think it’s what they’re teasing.

Its only shitty if people were paying attention. If they mislead 5 rabid fans online, I think they'll survive.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stryker said:

I recall it being quite full actually. They *may* have moved the stage, but I really don’t think so. 

You're right. The stage was in the exact same spot that every other stadium show that's ever been there. 

I don't know why, but we go through this "they had to cut the venue in half" story every couple of years. 

GN'R have had plenty of low ticket sales shows, but they just close off the upper sections of the arena / stadium. Venues don't just move stages out to the middle of a venue when it's an end stage setup. 

15 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Well.....it helps! 

When the newest song in your setlist is 13 years old, then there's absolutely no doubt about the fact that you're trading on the past. There's not even an argument to the contrary really. 

You can say you enjoy the shows, the band play well etc.....but it really is a falsehood to claim that it isn't an exercise in nostalgia now. 

So if Led Zeppelin reformed for one more tour and no new music to offer, would that be a pure nostalgia tour?

11 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

I guess we can assume that Livenation sees a path to profitability for these shows despite the ticket sales so far or they would have used COVID as an excuse to cancel all of them instead of rescheduling.

On another note, since new music is likely out of the question, does anybody think they will at least change up the order of the set list for this "new" tour?

Sorry