North America 2021 rescheduled/cancelled/new tour dates discussion thread

11 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

Someone posted it in the gnr fanspot fb group. 

Without sources though, so could be bs

Yeah sounds like BS.  Hershey is super close and the Santander Arena is pretty small.

Probably just heard something on the radio saying there will be announcement but it'll be the Hershey show.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I don't see too many complaints- just people pointing out two very obvious facts. 

-the band is currently a nostalgia act 

-tickets aren't selling very well 

Neither of these are complaints. 

Doesn’t the promoter of each show assume responsibility for ticket sales? The band gets a flat fee regardless. Is this correct?

10 minutes ago, prez said:

They have that clock on my account for the next event I have tickets to (a wrestling show in September). It's for everyone, don't read anything into it.

I know for a fact that it wasn't there a few days ago. I had to check the account for tickets to a NY Giants game. This show is happening. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ixtlan said:

Doesn’t the promoter of each show assume responsibility for ticket sales? The band gets a flat fee regardless. Is this correct?

A bit will depend on the contract (there may well be increased payments for sell-out shows or less pay for especially poor sellers) but in the main, yeah that's how it works I believe. 

It's a bit more complex sometimes as merch sales etc may be cut into the deal too though at bigger sales. 

There doesn't seem too much urgency to get these tickets shifted though, which seems very strange. I'd have thought the promoter would be pretty worried at this stage and pulling out all the stops..... 

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

A bit will depend on the contract (there may well be increased payments for sell-out shows or less pay for especially poor sellers) but in the main, yeah that's how it works I believe. 

It's a bit more complex sometimes as merch sales etc may be cut into the deal too though at bigger sales. 

There doesn't seem too much urgency to get these tickets shifted though, which seems very strange. I'd have thought the promoter would be pretty worried at this stage and pulling out all the stops..... 

Not sure what they can do at this point. Once the new dates are announced they can ramp up the ads but I doubt Axl is gonna go on an interview blitz.  A new song/album isn't gonna move tens of thousands of tickets. At this point Gn'R could still play stadiums the rest of their career and not release anything new. I think something is coming soon but again I doubt it'll make a difference as far as sales go. They still have the full reunion card to play at some point as well. 

13 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

There is probably insurance that covers the promoters. Perhaps, the promoters see the writing in the wall and think it would be best to see this tour cancelled. 

14 minutes ago, Ixtlan said:

There is probably insurance that covers the promoters. Perhaps, the promoters see the writing in the wall and think it would be best to see this tour cancelled. 

They are announcing new dates this week lol if the promotors wanted the tour cancelled it would be cancelled.  They wouldn't be adding dates lol 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ixtlan said:

Possible for sure. I imagine insurance and Covid are pretty complicated things at the moment! 

26 minutes ago, Subtle Signs said:

Not sure what they can do at this point. Once the new dates are announced they can ramp up the ads but I doubt Axl is gonna go on an interview blitz.  A new song/album isn't gonna move tens of thousands of tickets. At this point Gn'R could still play stadiums the rest of their career and not release anything new. I think something is coming soon but again I doubt it'll make a difference as far as sales go. They still have the full reunion card to play at some point as well. 

If Axl did one big interview that would be enough, 20/30 min sit down with Howard or someone. That would move the needle. He did it for the residency shows in vegas in 2012 when the sales needed a pick up.

They could play stadiums forever but they won't fill them. Every stadium level band needs a little gasoline on the fire before they go into the next stadium run. For GNR they basically found some free on the side of the road with Covid, but that's a short supply. They can forever play arenas without putting a new record out. 

I know hardcore fans are the only people that really want to hear new music, but the music press is also eager for the release. Every GNR write up or interview mentions the new album prospect. Slash's new album highlights that he has made 2 studio albums while being back in GNR - where is the GNR record? the more the press write / talk about this stuff the more the casuals start to hear it / think it & change their minds about GNR and start calling them washed up / nostalgia act etc. That has already started with low sales in markets sold easily a few years previous. The album doesn't have to be great, they just need to be seen to be "moving forward creatively" and not just living on fumes of the past. At this point a new single dropped out of nowhere would cause a huge stir, and no doubt would positively affect ticket sales in areas where they have stalled. New single means radio plays it, then they also ramp up the classic songs into rotation for a few days / week... maybe that hypothetical single charts and sticks around, even better for GNR. The only other card like you say is full reunion - Teddy, Tracy / Roberta & more reggae 😋

• Like 2

He should do Kimmel again. That would be a softball interview. Stern would ask him about Stephanie, "One In A Million," the riots, all that stuff Axl wouldn't want to talk about, and he wouldn't accept preconditions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, prez said:

He should do Kimmel again. That would be a softball interview. Stern would ask him about Stephanie, "One In A Million," the riots, all that stuff Axl wouldn't want to talk about, and he wouldn't accept preconditions.

If it was mid-2000's Stern Axl would be in for a doozy, however modern day Stern gives much more of a softball interview nowadays.  He doesn't really confront people about things much if at all anymore and the things he does bring up are either probably things the artist gives the green light to ahead of time

It is almost fitting for Axl to go on Howard's show - GNR and The Stern Show both have a reputation for being "dangerous" but both today are like their tame, corporate non-evil twins :lol:

Edited by WhazUp

1 hour ago, -W.A.R- said:

Do people still listen to Howard like that? The show became incredibly boring once Artie self-destructed.

I still catch Howard every now and then, mostly for the interviews whenever an interesting guest appears.  The interview he did with Eddie Vedder recently was actually fairly solid

I am mostly there for those moments though, I don't listen to the normal show anymore because it just isn't the same