North America 2021 rescheduled/cancelled/new tour dates discussion thread

13 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Reasons like this are why I visit this board so little.  The constant negativity is just so draining.  You win, you clearly know more than live nation, the promoters, the people who book shows at the venues, anybody associated with the band. Congratulations. 

I myself visit the board not nearly as much as I used to, and thinking about it I honestly can't blame the fans for the negativity but GNR itself in that sense

When you have only one underwhelming album to show for the fandom since 2008, an Axl vocally declining since 2017 onwards, declining venue sizes in a time where they should be thriving due to people clamoring to see live shows, very little substantial changes in the setlist beyond a short lived Locomotive, GNR toy trucks and other cashgrab scenarios - yeah I found that I really can't blame people for bringing the critical comments lol myself becoming one of them

I want GNR to be the best band in the world again, and a band that lives up to the talent in it - so for me this is the only place where I can really dive into the specific frustrations at them not getting remotely close to that nowadays sadly

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

- can you really blame the people being negative for being negative?

Yes.

Don't get me wrong, I want GnR to release new music and whatnot as much as everyone else.  I've been posting on GnR boards since they had one on their website in the late 90s, before Buckethead was in the band. I remember being on 2000 intentions website during the excitement of the Las Vegas 2001 concerts and following along in the thread, I had the same excitement following along in the 2016 troubadour thread on this website when the reunion took place.  And I get it's frustrating that they haven't released new music, and all the other stuff that goes into it.

I guess what I don't understand is how the same people come here every day to just shit on the band.  To call axl fat, and to say he can't sing anymore, and to say slash can't play, the box set wasn't good enough, they don't like the merch they are putting out, their tour is going to be a failure, etc. etc.  

It's just like okay.  I just don't understand living in that negative mindset.  There is SO much great music out there I'm not going to get held up on whether Axl releases music or not.  I just enjoy my life to the fullest.  If the time does come I'll be first in line to pick it up like I was for Chinese Democracy. 

Meh.  It is what it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bitchisback said:

Neat!

Solid argument :)

If you guys have such a rough time here, you should definitely never venture out into the real world. You'd probably lose your mind if you saw what casual fans have to say on social media about GN'R. 

54 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Reasons like this are why I visit this board so little.  The constant negativity is just so draining.  You win, you clearly know more than live nation, the promoters, the people who book shows at the venues, anybody associated with the band. Congratulations.  

It's really a shame this is the most active GnR board out there because it's absolutely the most draining.  The constant cloud of negativity hanging over this place just gets so tiring so quickly.  It's just sad because this place has an active community and it should be fun to come here and talk about the band and the tour and whatnot, but it's just so draining because of arguments like this. 

What do you expect people to talk about with the lack of activity of this band and the never ending tour.

Not much to be excited over.

• GNFNR 2

53 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Yes.

Don't get me wrong, I want GnR to release new music and whatnot as much as everyone else.  I've been posting on GnR boards since they had one on their website in the late 90s, before Buckethead was in the band. I remember being on 2000 intentions website during the excitement of the Las Vegas 2001 concerts and following along in the thread, I had the same excitement following along in the 2016 troubadour thread on this website when the reunion took place.  And I get it's frustrating that they haven't released new music, and all the other stuff that goes into it.

I guess what I don't understand is how the same people come here every day to just shit on the band.  To call axl fat, and to say he can't sing anymore, and to say slash can't play, the box set wasn't good enough, they don't like the merch they are putting out, their tour is going to be a failure, etc. etc.  

It's just like okay.  I just don't understand living in that negative mindset.  There is SO much great music out there I'm not going to get held up on whether Axl releases music or not.  I just enjoy my life to the fullest.  If the time does come I'll be first in line to pick it up like I was for Chinese Democracy. 

Meh.  It is what it is.

If you’re a CEO of a company and come there every day, you’ll see issues on a daily basis that you’ll wanna address. That doesn’t mean you’ll be just negative all the time; there will be positive things to see and/or say as well. However, there will often be negative stuff you’ll have to bring out. But then, I doubt anyone would say you’re just a constantly complaining person. It’s just that it’s a part of your job to see things as they are and sometimes comment on them. 

Now, we’re not in the position to command the band and the management, but we do address all kinds of diverse issues we see; and considering that the band’s overall business has been troublesome in the recent years, one cannot expect us to stay silent about it on a forum. That doesn’t mean we don’t have any positive things to say, but as Russ mentioned, it largely depends on what you focus on. Guns have serious deficiencies in their approach to the fans, whether in terms of some variety and excitement, Axl’s form, their management’s conduct, public footage policy, overall communication with the fans, crappy and overpriced merch, or faint release history. Out of all the comparable huge rock bands, none of them treats their fans like this. Not one. 

And so it can be expected that since there’s often nothing to talk about for lengthy periods of time, these things have to be discussed. Especially considering we get frustrated by the inactivity and unprofessionalism on a daily basis. If Axl does 20 shows and sounds like crap 19 out of 20, people are gonna notice – and talk about it. 
I doubt there are very many people here who absolutely never say anything positive. It’s what you focus on. And since things have been negative from many points of view, there’ll be a lot of criticism. The band can change that any time. What goes around comes around. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jamillos said:

The band can change that any time. What goes around comes around. 

At this point GnR is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

They don't do anything, everyone complains, they announce a tour, everyone complains.  They don't do anything during the pandemic, everyone complains, they release pro shot footage of NITL via the selects, everyone complains about the performances.  I see a comment here every single day of someone saying they don't care if GnR releases new music because Axl can't sing anymore.  So even if they do release new music it'll just be more complaining. 

I'm done talking about it though, I don't want to get sucked anymore into the misery.  If this if the stuff that makes you guys happy then cheers lol.  Idk what to tell you.

I would much rather focus on the tour 🍻🤘

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

They don't do anything, everyone complains, they announce a tour, everyone complains.  They don't do anything during the pandemic, everyone complains, they release pro shot footage of NITL via the selects, everyone complains about the performances.  I see a comment here every single day of someone saying they don't care if GnR releases new music because Axl can't sing anymore.  So even if they do release new music it'll just be more complaining. 

I'm done talking about it though, I don't want to get sucked anymore into the misery.  If this if the stuff that makes you guys happy then cheers lol.  Idk what to tell you.

We’re all stoked theyve announced the tour, particularly after the shit we’ve all experienced with COVID. But, there is a general consensus amongst fans (and indeed the general music media) that a new album is now long overdue. Have you seen the latest Rolling Stone article dissing the band because not 0.0 seconds of music have been released since the reunion in 2016? Touring without new music at this point is bound to attract the criticism of cash-grabbing. 

I appreciate to an extent that effort that went into the Selects but by and large the quality and editing was a joke.

Edited by gavgnr
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

15 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

No, it doesn’t make me happy, but can’t help talking about it, cause I love them. I think there’s clear logic behind it. 
And no, they’re not “damned if they don’t”. The examples you state are themselves describing the problem: 
- “They announce a tour – everyone complains” – yes, cause it’s been the same never-ending tour, with worsening performance. As we’ve talked about before. 
- “They don’t do anything during the pandemic – everyone complains” – yes, because they could have, like tons of other artists have. Especially this band, which doesn’t release shit in decades. 
- “They release pro-shot footage via the Selects – everyone complains” – yes, because this can hardly be called pro-shot footage, both in terms of quality and the actual selection; it screams unprofessionalism (TB written all over it actually). 
- “Axl can’t sing any more” – not that he couldn’t, but he’s sounded like crap live since 2017/18. 

If they release new music, it will contain a studio Axl, which is a different story. We know he can pull it in the studio. 
Again, if you see this every day here, it’s normal. But I’m sure there are positive comments as well. The problem is, the more crap we witness, the more complaining there is. Once again: what goes around comes around. That also applies on focusing on the negative parts of things...
But yeah, I hope the upcoming tour will bring something new. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, nikosgnr said:

So, we will finally hear HS for the first time?

Not even excited about it anymore. Had they released it as a single during the height of the pandemic, maybe there would still be a hype. Only a new album would make them interesting again. 

1 hour ago, nikosgnr said:

Yep. I feel you. But I prefer this option than the fckn' Seeker.

Seriously, who's been expecting a new album after so many years?

It's gonna be "new", with CD leftovers like HS.

One of the options would be Axl giving Slash some of his old lyrics and Slash creating brand new music for it. It could work at least for some songs, and I'd consider that new, no problem. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

That's really interesting, @Powerage5, and you certainly have the experience to know what you are talking about.

Leads me to wonder why it is like that. Why is the energy levels lower in the US? Do they go to gigs more frequently than other people so it becomes more of a mundane things whereas to the rest of the world it is a proper event?

I’m not sure it’s so much that the US gets more gigs than Europe does - it varies from artist to artist of course but there is plenty of live music to go around in Europe. I really don’t know what to attribute the difference to. But I feel like, and this has gotten more apparent as time goes on, a lot of Americans go to gigs for the social status aspect - they can say they saw so-and-so and can post about it on social media. So you get this culture of the crowds on being made up of particularly big fans of an artist. A great, but obscure example I can think of is the Mr. Bungle reunion last year; the band plays their first gigs in 20 years, but make it explicitly clear that all they’re playing is their original demo tape along with unreleased songs from that era and covers they did in the early days. So the gigs sell out immediately, and then what happens? There’s a huge backlash online that they didn’t play any material from their three albums that got released. So I guess there’s also an entitlement aspect to it also. People know exactly what they want to hear and if they don’t hear that, they’re not happy. 

6 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

It's really a shame this is the most active GnR board out there because it's absolutely the most draining.  The constant cloud of negativity hanging over this place just gets so tiring so quickly.  It's just sad because this place has an active community and it should be fun to come here and talk about the band and the tour and whatnot, but it's just so draining because of arguments like this. 

Maybe if the band did the absolute bare minimum to create an atmosphere Of positivity there wouldn’t be so much negativity. No new music, barely mixing up the setlist over the course of five years other than adding a new cover every time someone passes away, hell - even dropping the promise of an “all-new show” for the 2020 tour. Even the comments from casuals on the band’s social media are starting to turn negative. That should be a HUGE red flag for the band, but they still just keep doing the same old. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

Not sure if this has been shared yet:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/guns-n-roses-november-rain-2020-live-1177249/

Even the mainstream rock press is pointing out the same realistic POV the so called "negative" people on this forum are. 

I'm sure the staff at Rolling Stone just lead unhappy lives though. Maybe nothing will ever be good enough for them. Perhaps it was too cold in their market when they wrote the article. Any number of excuses could apply. Who's to say what their real motive is. 

Edited by RussTCB
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Not sure if this has been shared yet:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/guns-n-roses-november-rain-2020-live-1177249/

Even the mainstream rock press is pointing out the same realistic POV the so called "negative" people on this forum are. 

I'm sure the staff at Rolling Stone just lead an unhappy lives though. Maybe nothing will ever be good enough for them. Perhaps it was too cold in their market when they wrote the article. Any number of excuses could apply. Who's to say what their real motive is. 

They’re probably just lazy Americans who want nothing more than to show off on their social media. It has absolutely nothing to do with Axl being insecure and controlling. Oh, and the fans. It’s all our fault. 

• GNFNR 1

39 minutes ago, jamillos said:

One of the options would be Axl giving Slash some of his old lyrics and Slash creating brand new music for it. It could work at least for some songs, and I'd consider that new, no problem. 

It would work. Probably what's been happening for a while.

I'm really curious if Axl has been writting lately. For some reason, I doubt about it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nikosgnr said:

I'm really curious if Axl has been writting lately. For some reason, I doubt about it.

The two of them collaborating on would be the best news to come out of the GnR world since the reunion was announced! 

21 minutes ago, nikosgnr said:

If so, I just hope it won't be about Covid... had enough of that from all around.