North America 2021 rescheduled/cancelled/new tour dates discussion thread

7 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Had the Toronto show not been cancelled I probably would have taken them up on the four pack offer if applicable. Despite my overall disinterest in the tour I'd definitely go for twenty bucks. I'd bring my daughter along and a friend or two. It'd make for a fun night out so I'd even settle for a passable sounding Axl.

That's basically my level of interest, too.

Last time I saw Motley Crue (it's sad how comparable GNR and Motley are at this point) was in 2013 - got 4 tickets for $100. We sat near the back but the arena wasn't very big so the seats were still good, and it was a good time just getting drunk at a show with friends. Pretty sure Motley even played their then-new song 'Sex', lol. I'd definitely spend $25 to sit at the back (with a decent chance of getting upgraded) and possibly hear GNR play Hardschool or a few UYI deep cuts.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stryker said:

Actually, it is quite difficult when you’re booking a tour of this magnitude.

I think it’s fair to ding them on any number of issues, but to me that is so incredibly insignificant. 

Your probably right. It’s just my benefit of the doubt meter with GNR used to be fully charged, and now I can’t really even bother to give them any benefit of the doubt. Hopefully they at least acknowledge the anniversary at least. That wouldn’t be too much to ask.

Where are the "this will sell out, demand is hotter than ever" contingent? 

I remain absolutely astonished that after 5 years of the same tour the band thought a step back up to stadiums, without some sort of major selling point was a good idea. I honestly can't believe they had nothing up their sleeve to push it - it defies business sense. I'm yet to hear one reason other than "livenation know what they're doing better than you" to explain it. 

It fascinates me really! 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

29 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I remain absolutely astonished that after 5 years of the same tour the band thought a step back up to stadiums, without some sort of major selling point was a good idea. I honestly can't believe they had nothing up their sleeve to push it - it defies business sense. I'm yet to hear one reason other than "livenation know what they're doing better than you" to explain it. 

It fascinates me really! 

I am also wondering where those folks are. I'm assuming they're going to relay on pics and videos from the shows and say "SEE? I told you it would sell out!" which is not a valid argument seeing as most seats will be filled with HEAVILY discounted or free tickets by show time. 

For example, I will most likely end up attending the Comerica show because I'm 95% certain I'll be able to get free tickets. There's going to be a ton of people who either paid $20/ticket or got free tickets like I'm going to do. Not exactly a concert crowd to hang your hat on and proclaim success.... 

Having said that, I know you know this but here's the part the hostile/positive people seem to continue to miss: this doesn't make me happy. I take no joy in watching GN'R make terrible decisions, then fail. I've said this many times, but I sincerely doubt anyone on this board would. 

However, just because I don't want the band to make bad decisions and fail doesn't mean they're not going to. I know enough about the music & concert industry to have known exactly how ticket sales were going to go for this tour. I said that then got told I was negative, have no life, must be unhappy, am not a real fan and/or didn't know what I was talking about. Yet here we are. 

Edited by RussTCB
  • Like 2

Just now, RussTCB said:

I am also wondering where those folks are. I'm assuming they're going to relay on pics and videos from the shows and say "SEE? I told you it would sell out!" which is not a valid argument seeing as most seats will be filled with HEAVILY discounted or free tickets by show time. 

For example, I will most likely end up attending the Comerica show because I'm 95% certain I'll be able to get free tickets. There's going to be a ton of people who either paid $20/ticket or got free tickets like I'm going to do. Not exactly a concert crowd to hang your hat on and proclaim success.... 

Having said that, I know you know this but here's the part the hostile/positive people seem to continue to miss: this doesn't make me happy. I take no joy in watching GN'R make terrible decisions, then fail. I've said this many times, but I sincerely doubt anyone on this board would. 

However, just because I don't want the band to make bad decisions and fail doesn't mean they're not going to. I know enough about the music & concert industry to have known exactly how ticket sales were going to go for this tour. I said that, got told I was negative, have no life, must be unhappy, am not a real fan and/or didn't know what I was talking about. Yet here we are. 

I couldn't agree with all this more. 

The very strange cult of being branded a 'non-fan' or 'hater' for pointing out, what to me seems pretty obvious (that a tour of massive venues after runs of playing smaller ones, with no selling point, might not sell too well) is very bizarre. It seems exclusive to GNR too, and I'm not sure what drives it, other than perhaps a total disconnect between the band their fanbase, which has created some strange behavior in an attempt to 'get near' the band? 

But yeah, I totally agree that I don't want to see the band struggle to fill venues. I want the complete opposite. 

• GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

It fascinates me really! 

Part of the move back to stadiums might very well have been to have the venues be outdoors to hedge ag ainst any possible COVID restrictions being brought back.  From a business perspective, we (at least I) don't know what Livenation pays for facility rental.  Maybe their deals are a mostly a percentage of ticket sales which makes a stadium not cost much more, if any, than an arena for the same crowd size.

All I know is that Livenation is a business and they make guarantees to the band.  They also have a lot of data at their disposal and must believe that the shows will be worth the investment.  Not only didn't they use COVID as an excuse to cancel dates, they added a bunch more.

I'm glad I'll be seeing them at Hard Rock Live in Hollywood, FL.  I'm looking forward to a show in a more intimate venue (7,000 seats).

• Like 1

Just now, Gnrcane said:

Part of the move back to stadiums might very well have been to have the venues be outdoors to hedge ag ainst any possible COVID restrictions being brought back.  From a business perspective, we (at least I) don't know what Livenation pays for facility rental.  Maybe their deals are a mostly a percentage of ticket sales which makes a stadium not cost much more, if any, than an arena for the same crowd size.

All I know is that Livenation is a business and they make guarantees to the band.  They also have a lot of data at their disposal and must believe that the shows will be worth the investment.  Not only didn't they use COVID as an excuse to cancel dates, they added a bunch more.

I'm glad I'll be seeing them at Hard Rock Live in Hollywood, FL.  I'm looking forward to a show in a more intimate venue (7,000 seats).

They announced the stadium run long before Covid was even a consideration though.......

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

9 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

They announced the stadium run long before Covid was even a consideration though.......

That and "but they won't lose money!" is not the mark of artistic or commercial success lol

Edited by RussTCB
  • Haha 1

Just now, RussTCB said:

That and "but they won't lose money!" is not the mark of artist or commercial success lol

Yep. To be honest too, I can't see many business models where booking a stadium and selling few tickets is a good one, no matter how you want to cut it! 

There's no way on earth the plan was ever to book a venue and NOT sell it out! 

• GNFNR 1

17 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

If they really got nothing to offer than the same old tired show with an unprepared Axl they deserve to fail and lose money, imo. 

What's the point of a tour like that now, anyway? 

To get more money out of casual fans and die hards who always hope something new will happen. 

• GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Yep. To be honest too, I can't see many business models where booking a stadium and selling few tickets is a good one, no matter how you want to cut it! 

There's no way on earth the plan was ever to book a venue and NOT sell it out! 

Theyll be lucky if these venues are close to HALF full.

I agree exactly with what youre saying above - I want this to be the hottest ticket of the summer (esp the Wrigley show), but this was a bust from the start.  they got a break w/ covid bc these shows werent selling at all prior, couldve cut their losses then and cancelled/downgraded venues.  Nope.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Honestly I'm more excited about seeing Mammoth WVH, but I really hope GnR changes some stuff up in order to make the show more exciting. New UYI songs etc.

Just changing the order of the set list would help. It takes away excitement when you know what song is up next like you're playing an album.

Actually freshening the set list might be too much to ask.

They should reserve 3 or 4 slots where the fans in attendance can vote for the song to play from a list of choices via an app that is location fenced.

8 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

Just changing the order of the set list would help. It takes away excitement when you know what song is up next like you're playing an album.

Actually freshening the set list might be too much to ask.

They should reserve 3 or 4 slots where the fans in attendance can vote for the song to play from a list of choices via an app that is location fenced.

Has any band done that before with an app?

Its a brilliant idea with the fencing, but curious if there’s a precedent.

19 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Honestly I'm more excited about seeing Mammoth WVH, but I really hope GnR changes some stuff up in order to make the show more exciting. New UYI songs etc.

That's the ideal scenario. But I would love to hear more TSI songs, if they really wanna keep only adding covers. I mean, Ain't it Fun is a fucking awesome song. And yes, I'd love to hear even SFTD. Those are still ways better than Black Hole Sun and such.

19 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I'm jealous that you're getting to see Mammoth, it's not my usual music style but I like a lot of the record. 

For GNR it's an all or nothing deal. It's a year and a half now since they put out those stupid next chapter promo videos, if they come out playing the exact same set list that's going to looking really fucking dumb, even for GNR. I just don't know any more! this kinda feels like the start of the Euro 2012 tour where we were saying "of they've been rehearsing, new songs are going to played" and then... nothing😄 although he did sound better than the majority of the 2011 touring so there was that!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

So real talk, MetLife is at about 50% capacity. What will realistically be happening with it? I can't see them playing to a half empty stadium. Will it be moved to a different arena? Tickets prices cut?

The stadium will be filled by the time the show happens. It'll take heavy, heavy discounts and tons of ticket giveaways, but the house will be full. 

• GNFNR 1

27 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Well, Metallica's "By Request Tour" is basically that. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallica_By_Request_Tour

Not the biggest Metallica fan, so the fact I recognized most of the songs from the set lists I looked up would indicate that the fans want to hear the hits.

I imagine if GnR did the same thing they’d be able to sell extra tickets to diehard fans who want to hear the super deep cuts. This is of course under the assumption that the vote is tied to a specific ticket.

Edited by Stryker

4 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

That would be great.

3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

That's the ideal scenario. But I would love to hear more TSI songs, if they really wanna keep only adding covers. I mean, Ain't it Fun is a fucking awesome song. And yes, I'd love to hear even SFTD. Those are still ways better than Black Hole Sun and such.

I hope they don't play BHS and some of the others again. They can keep the Seeker but some of those other ones have got to go. I would love to hear Down on the Farm and Ain't It Fun.

• Like 1