North America 2021 rescheduled/cancelled/new tour dates discussion thread

2 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Not be that guy, I’m expecting Axl’s voice to be rough

Man hasn’t performed in 1.5 years, probably hasn’t practiced or done anything. It was already rough enough in 2020. I wouldn’t even be surprised at this point if he starts lip syncing, heavy backing tracks or lowers the key or something. 

I don’t think any intelligent person is expecting otherwise. First shows are notoriously spotty. 

4 hours ago, Stryker said:

I don’t think any intelligent person is expecting otherwise. First shows are notoriously spotty. 

Oh I know. But...factoring in age and the length of the break it’s been in this era?

I think it’s going to be atrocious. I know that’s fucking negative lol but seriously it’s gonna be brutal if he hasn’t been putting any work. Way worse than other legs of this tour.

3 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Oh I know. But...factoring in age and the length of the break it’s been in this era?

I think it’s going to be atrocious. I know that’s fucking negative lol but seriously it’s gonna be brutal if he hasn’t been putting any work. Way worse than other legs of this tour.

Of course he hasn't been putting in any work. That's also the reason we'll have to wait about a month in before they'll debut Hardschool, like Locomotive and Dead Horse in 2019. Because he just can't be bothered to put some effort in and rehearse.

2 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Of course he hasn't been putting in any work. That's also the reason we'll have to wait about a month in before they'll debut Hardschool, like Locomotive and Dead Horse in 2019. Because he just can't be bothered to put some effort in and rehearse.

Vince Neil level is the next stop.

There's a chance that it won't suck, and tbh that's mostly why I'm still here. I expect Axl to sound bad at the first show, but I'd be happy to be wrong. Maybe they cut the set down to 2.5 hours, add some songs like Bad Obsession, Pretty Tied Up, Down On The Farm, etc. where Axl can use a more natural voice, and it's actually a decent show...

But if it's the same as 2018-20 with the possibility of a bad Hardschool performance, then I guess leaks and memes will still be the only good things about this band. :shrugs:

That Hard School sounded rough vocally but would still be down to hear it for the instrumentation and intent to do something new. I think we would’ve heard it had the pandemic not have happened, now, who knows. Ironically enough, we’ve come full circle. Hardschool demo caught my eye because it’s Axl and his killer vocals, now I’m hoping to hear a badass slash solo and tune out the vocals.

10 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

That Hard School sounded rough vocally but would still be down to hear it for the instrumentation and intent to do something new. I think we would’ve heard it had the pandemic not have happened, now, who knows. Ironically enough, we’ve come full circle. Hardschool demo caught my eye because it’s Axl and his killer vocals, now I’m hoping to hear a badass slash solo and tune out the vocals.

Hearing Slash and Duff play some CD leftover with Axl sounding horrible doesn't sound the least bit enticing.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

18 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Not be that guy, I’m expecting Axl’s voice to be rough

Man hasn’t performed in 1.5 years, probably hasn’t practiced or done anything. It was already rough enough in 2020. I wouldn’t even be surprised at this point if he starts lip syncing, heavy backing tracks or lowers the key or something. 

I’m expecting the same but I’d love to be proven wrong. Maybe he really did some work with a vocal coach and while his voice was really worn out from 2018 onwards, now he had 1,5 years to recover some of it. Age is of course also a factor sadly but I think with some practice and a setlist adapted to his abilities we could get a good show. A man can dream :shrugs:

40 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

I’m expecting the same but I’d love to be proven wrong. Maybe he really did some work with a vocal coach and while his voice was really worn out from 2018 onwards, now he had 1,5 years to recover some of it. Age is of course also a factor sadly but I think with some practice and a setlist adapted to his abilities we could get a good show. A man can dream :shrugs:

I'm a mindless Axl supporter, but you're gonna have to keep dreaming. All history points to him doing zero rehearsing. I doubt he'll even do vocal warmups.

16 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

I'm a mindless Axl supporter, but you're gonna have to keep dreaming. All history points to him doing zero rehearsing. I doubt he'll even do vocal warmups.

my guess is Axl always does vocal warmups. He seems to use his clean voice live so it doesn't damage his vocal chords so it makes sense he'll do the warmups to further protect his voice and also to make it easier to sing.

I remember reading an interview by a band member (can't remember who exactly, maybe Duff) talking about how Axl does vocal warmups and vocal cooldowns.

Edited by Rovim

6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

my guess is Axl always does vocal warmups. He seems to use his clean voice so it doesn't damage his vocal chords so it makes sense he'll do the warmups to further protect his voice and also to make it easier to sing.

I remember reading an interview by a band member (can't remember who exactly, maybe Duff) talking about how Axl does vocal warmups and vocal cooldowns.

Yeah, several people have mentioned Axl's vocal warmups/warm downs over the years. I think even Axl himself discussed it with Trunk on TMS. The one that sticks out for me was at one of the 2011 shows where one of the fellas that was with CM Punk mentioned that Axl disappeared when they were all gathered at the after party and they could hear him in the shower doing warmdowns. 

• Like 1

The thing is he never rehearses full sets with the band to build the actual stamina and basically uses the first ten shows of a tour for that at the expense of the entire show. I think that was different with AC/DC though, he probably rehearsed entire songs or even full sets with the band, resulting in quality vocal performances.

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

my guess is Axl always does vocal warmups. He seems to use his clean voice live so it doesn't damage his vocal chords so it makes sense he'll do the warmups to further protect his voice and also to make it easier to sing.

The interview with Eddie Trump years ago, Axl said yeah he in alone in the dressing room warming up his voice. I would expect any good singer does this before a show. except maybe for Vince Neil. Axl's voice is no where near as horrible as Vince's. The man doesn't even sing the chorus anymore, we the fans do most of the singing at a Crue concert nowadays.

8 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

8 hours ago, Rovim said:

Problem is he warms up a little too much. Duff said he doesn like hour and a half of warmups, that's like half a show. You don't need to do that much, at that point you're starting to use up your voice instead of warming up. There was an interview with Myles a while back where he said that he used to warm up for over an hour earlier in his career, now it's more like 15 minutes or so. I know a lot of you here don't like Myles but he sounds good consistently every night through the whole show, which you can't say about Axl.

7 hours ago, adamsapple said:

The thing is he never rehearses full sets with the band to build the actual stamina and basically uses the first ten shows of a tour for that at the expense of the entire show. I think that was different with AC/DC though, he probably rehearsed entire songs or even full sets with the band, resulting in quality vocal performances.

Yes this 100%. Any musician has to rehearse the full set in order to play it properly every night, otherwise you're good for a few songs then starting to fade after that. If he did this he probably wouldn't need to take as many extended breaks during the set either (Wish You Were Here etc).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

He started the reunion off sounding pretty good though. I know it was way better in 16’ than where he left off in 14’. Granted it was a big deal having Slash back and he knew all eyes were on him, so I’m hoping for a repeat of that. Not expecting, just hoping

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikeman5150 said:

He started the reunion off sounding pretty good though. I know it was way better in 16’ than where he left off in 14’. Granted it was a big deal having Slash back and he knew all eyes were on him, so I’m hoping for a repeat of that. Not expecting, just hoping

You say that but he actually sounded great on the No Trickery vegas shows in 2014. 

To me, the "warm downs" is a bigger mystery. What do you need to do a 1.5 hours of warm down for, and how does that even go? I don't know if I believe Axl does these things 3 hours every gig night. I do believe this is a time he spends in his room, though, whatever he's doing in there. 

Edited by jamillos

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

To me, the "warm downs" is a bigger mystery. What do you need to do a 1.5 hours of warm down for, and how does that even go? I don't know if I believe Axl does these things 3 hours every gig night. I do believe this is a time he spends in his room, though, whatever he's doing in there. 

don't know about an hour and a half, but I think vocal cooldowns are necessary cause it is a muscle you're using when you sing after all. There are many methods to do it from what I understand.

9 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Problem is he warms up a little too much. Duff said he doesn like hour and a half of warmups, that's like half a show. You don't need to do that much, at that point you're starting to use up your voice instead of warming up. There was an interview with Myles a while back where he said that he used to warm up for over an hour earlier in his career, now it's more like 15 minutes or so. I know a lot of you here don't like Myles but he sounds good consistently every night through the whole show, which you can't say about Axl.

doesn't it depend on how you do it? like if it is more gradual and with almost no power and then you increase it? Duff may have been exaggerating as well but an hour of vocal warmup doesn't seem too excessive to me but again, depends on how you do it imo.

Myles never sings with rasp, it is almost always super clean. This is just his chosen style but it's probably much less demanding compared to what Axl needs to do, even with all those parts where he switches to his clean voice.

edit: I'm pretty sure Axl said he got a reference from Bach for a vocal teacher. Isn't it likely that he got instructions on how exactly to do warmups, duration of it, etc so it's ideal? like what if Axl just does what the vocal instructor told him to do? he seemed pleased with the result at the time.

Edited by Rovim

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

That seems a little too long, I've never worked with any singer who did that long warm up or cool down.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

don't know about an hour and a half, but I think vocal cooldowns are necessary cause it is a muscle you're using when you sing after all. There are many methods to do it from what I understand.

doesn't it depend on how you do it? like if it is more gradual and with almost no power and then you increase it? Duff may have been exaggerating as well but an hour of vocal warmup doesn't seem too excessive to me but again, depends on how you do it imo.

Myles never sings with rasp, it is almost always super clean. This is just his chosen style but it's probably much less demanding compared to what Axl needs to do, even with all those parts where he switches to his clean voice.

edit: I'm pretty sure Axl said he got a reference from Bach for a vocal teacher. Isn't it likely that he got instructions on how exactly to do warmups, duration of it, etc so it's ideal? like what if Axl just does what the vocal instructor told him to do? he seemed pleased with the result at the time.

Rasp has nothing to do with it, he's still singing a lot of high notes etc. All I'm saying is that whatever Myles is doing clearly works but idk about Axl because he's very inconsistent. Apart from the warm up/cool down stuff most of that is just from not practicing in between tours and not rehearsing full sets with the band so he's ready to go at the first show. Even when he does his high clean voice sometimes it sounds good and other times it sounds weak and out of breath. That's why we have a thread dedicated to his voice, because we never know how he's going to sound at any given show. We don't have that problem with Myles and Todd though (to give one example). Someone else who sounds great every night is Marc from Dirty Honey. I've seen them several times now and he's always consistent and pitch perfect (and the whole band is on fire every show).

19 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

That seems a little too long, I've never worked with any singer who did that long warm up or cool down.

Rasp has nothing to do with it, he's still singing a lot of high notes etc. All I'm saying is that whatever Myles is doing clearly works but idk about Axl because he's very inconsistent. Apart from the warm up/cool down stuff most of that is just from not practicing in between tours and not rehearsing full sets with the band so he's ready to go at the first show. Even when he does his high clean voice sometimes it sounds good and other times it sounds weak and out of breath. That's why we have a thread dedicated to his voice, because we never know how he's going to sound at any given show. We don't have that problem with Myles and Todd though (to give one example). Someone else who sounds great every night is Marc from Dirty Honey. I've seen them several times now and he's always consistent and pitch perfect (and the whole band is on fire every show).

while I definitely believe that had Axl rehearsed properly the quality of his live performances would dramatically increase, he was always inconsistent. Every singer is completely different genetically speaking and with different range, power, etc. You can hit high notes more easily depend on how much power is required to make the high note sound good, and with what voice you choose to hit it. (chest voice, head voice, falsetto)

Axl switches all the time, sometimes even in 1 section of 1 song nowdays. Steven Tyler once said that he believes that it's harder for him to hit the low notes compared to the high notes for example so it's not the same challenges for every rock singer.

Myles also seem to be a much more disciplined singer. He always does the work. If we're being realistic, Axl is not going to prepare like that for a Gn'R show, running through most or all of the setlist. It would probably take a special occasion for that to happen and by now, people know what to expect of him, more or less.

Edited by Rovim

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

If we're being realistic, Axl is not going to prepare like that for a Gn'R show, running through most or all of the setlist. It would probably take a special occasion for that to happen and by now, people know what to expect of him, more or less.

Well that's his problem then if he doesn't want to put in the extra work.

25 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Well that's his problem then if he doesn't want to put in the extra work.

there is no problem for Axl here cause why would he do the extra work if he thinks what he's delivering is good enough?

it's like when Axl said Slash said he "didn't want to work that hard" when they were trying to come up with the next Gn'R album.

I mention Slash here cause I think it's not that he was lazy or that Axl is lazy, they each, like other musicians have their own priorities and approach.

you're basically saying Axl should work harder to deliver a better live experience. Many believe Slash should work harder to deliver better solo albums. Really take the time and make the effort but this is not a top priority for Slash it seems. Just like it could be preparing for hours and days on a regular basis to deliver a stronger vocal performance is not something Axl is interested in.

as a fan that would be great to have, but I understand why you wouldn't go out of your way to achieve something that you think is not worth the effort. Also I don't believe that's the only reason, I think it's also about preserving your voice cause even if you sing the way Axl sang on the AC/DC rehearsals and shows, it must damage your voice if you sing that way all the time, on every tour.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1