North America 2021 rescheduled/cancelled/new tour dates discussion thread

30 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Axl has the same vocal coach he had for the AFD and UYI tours (Ron Anderson). In 2006 he worked with someone else (Bach's vocal coach). Not sure if he had someone and who for the 2002 tour.

He did say in the China interview that he worked with him (cause of AC/DC if I'm not mistaken); the question is whether he continued working with him post 2016...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jamillos said:

He did say in the China interview that he worked with him (cause of AC/DC if I'm not mistaken); the question is whether he continued working with him post 2016...

He was at a GN'R show in 2017 or 2018.

The work Axl has been doing with the vocal coach is not about how to sing the songs in regards to vocal style, like whether he uses his high or low voice etc., but about techniques and exercises (like the warm-ups work-downs) so that he doesn't completely blow his voice.

There was a couple of great posts by @Pedrolg a while ago, which are the best take and the most plausible explanation I've read on Axl's voice:

https://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/224239-whats-your-theory/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-4866624

It's not a matter of laziness or not caring - yes, Axl probably doesn't rehearse the whole show although he should, however it seems that he rehearses more now compared to the past - but, likely, a matter of pride and of being in denial about his current limitations. Maybe he just can't accept that his high voice doesn't work well anymore, especially on certain songs, and so he doesn't try a different way to sing them, like using his low voice more, which is still very powerful. Slither is an example of that, in my opinion: it should normally be fairly easy for Axl to sing, using his low voice for the whole song; yet, he went for something on the chorus that he would do when he was in his prime, and so the result was terrible.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

Just now, Stryker said:

Called them up and they’re looking into the issue. They will call me back once they figure it out.

Uodate: Chicago is back up and running 

I enjoy the fact they went off sale and absolutely no-one noticed until you called them! Slick operation there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

He was at a GN'R show in 2017 or 2018.

The work Axl has been doing with the vocal coach is not about how to sing the songs in regards to vocal style, like whether he uses his high or low voice etc., but about techniques and exercises (like the warm-ups work-downs) so that he doesn't completely blow his voice.

There was a couple of great posts by @Pedrolg a while ago, which are the best take and the most plausible explanation I've read on Axl's voice:

https://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/224239-whats-your-theory/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-4866624

It's not a matter of laziness or not caring - yes, Axl probably doesn't rehearse the whole show although he should, however it seems that he rehearses more now compared to the past - but, likely, a matter of pride and of being in denial about his current limitations. Maybe he just can't accept that his high voice doesn't work well anymore, especially on certain songs, and so he doesn't try a different way to sing them, like using his low voice more, which is still very powerful. Slither is an example of that, in my opinion: it should normally be fairly easy for Axl to sing, using his low voice for the whole song; yet, he went for something on the chorus that he would do when he was in his prime, and so the result was terrible.

Very good read, thanks. I know nothing about vocal techniques, but I presume it all makes sense. Wonder how that would affect his approach on a 100% new record. Sadly, I don't think we will ever find out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Axl has the same vocal coach he had for the AFD and UYI tours (Ron Anderson). In 2006 he worked with someone else (Bach's vocal coach). Not sure if he had someone and who for the 2002 tour.

No I pretty sure I remember Bach saying he was Axl’s coach. Axl suggested him to Bach. And he did wonders for that Bach record. His voice was amazing in studio and live. As good as his prime years 89-91

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rovim said:

you're basically saying Axl should work harder to deliver a better live experience. Many believe Slash should work harder to deliver better solo albums. Really take the time and make the effort but this is not a top priority for Slash it seems. Just like it could be preparing for hours and days on a regular basis to deliver a stronger vocal performance is not something Axl is interested in.

Those are 2 entirely different things.

4 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Those are 2 entirely different things.

I just don't expect Axl to operate differently than someone who does what he wants and I can understand the logic in doing things the way you prefer to do them if that option is available to you.

35 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

No I pretty sure I remember Bach saying he was Axl’s coach. Axl suggested him to Bach. And he did wonders for that Bach record. His voice was amazing in studio and live. As good as his prime years 89-91

According to this article, it was Bach's coach (but Axl didn't really work with him much, from what I understand):

“If anyone’s serious about singing, they should work with Don,” says rock vocalist Sebastian Bach. When Guns N’ Roses’ Axl Rose asked Mr. Bach how he gets his pipes ready for touring, Mr. Bach recommended Mr. Lawrence and made Mr. Rose a copy of his warm-up tape. (Both singers are known for their high-pitched screams.)

A decade ago, Mr. Lawrence met Mr. Rose in a Manhattan hotel room just a few hours before a gig. After some reluctance, Mr. Rose took to Mr. Lawrence’s exercises; they’ve worked two more times since. “To this day, Axl warms up to [a tape of] me—warming up with Don,” Mr. Bach says.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/meet-the-coach-for-lady-gaga-super-bowl-halftime-star-1485959205

(I doubt Axl warmed up to Bach's tape "to this day" - the article is from 2017 -  as he worked with Ron Anderson then.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Crazy isn't it? Gives an indication into the rate tickets are selling too maybe that nothing flagged up as unusual! 

That MLB ticketing platform they use is like a throwback to the late 90s when tickets first started getting sold online, horrible website 

1 hour ago, axlweave said:

Has anyone heard about them rehearsing for this tour. I will be seeing them Saturday at Hershey. There has been so much silence about the band 

The silence is part of the reason why I'm not going to the Fenway Park show.

I'm not even fully convinced that with the mask mandate even for vaccinated people suggestions running rampant, that some of these shows will even happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, axlweave said:

Has anyone heard about them rehearsing for this tour. I will be seeing them Saturday at Hershey. There has been so much silence about the band 

The band and their management think silence = mystery & excitement. 

They're incredibly wrong per usual, but thats never stopped them before. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

3 hours ago, axlweave said:

Only a little hint on Frank's instagram, I think. Going by that, they started rehearsing in late June already.

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

The band and their management think silence = mystery & excitement. 

They're incredibly wrong per usual, but thats never stopped them before. 

It worked at the beginning of the "reunion".. Now it is just pathetic..

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1