North America 2021 rescheduled/cancelled/new tour dates discussion thread

6 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

No. What I'm saying is, that casuals wouldn't care too much about new stuff and that you overstate the importance of it and the people who are looking for new stuff are mainly the die hards, who are a minority in the stadiums. Point is, they wouldn't gain too much by actually releasing new stuff, as the majority won't give a shit, unless it's as great as AFD.

I think most casual fans kind of assumed there would be new music by 2017-18... almost all the comments on their social media pages now have tons of people asking about new music, and that sure as shit isn't just made up of die hard fans. SOYL got some decent radio play for a few weeks after it was released, there is/was some general interest in "new" music. Their biggest problem now is that they've waited too long to release anything, so instead of riding the momentum they had early in the reunion they now have to rebuild that hype/momentum. (And literally nobody expects them to release another AFD btw.)

Also, some people here seem to seriously underestimate how popular the UYI songs are... those albums really don't have a lot of "deep cuts". When your entire catalogue is essentially 3 popular albums, even "casual fans" are gonna be familiar with Estranged, Pretty Tied Up, Coma, etc. Civil War and Yesterdays still get occasional radio play, last time I heard Don't Cry on the radio is was the alt version... let's not pretend they only know November Rain.

• Like 2

no chance this year in scotland we seem to be doing no bad in the vaccines but will take time to get it all done and with alot not getting it its still never going to go away.....   i am  piority for the vaccine so should get it in a few months

but i think no concerts at least for the next few years at least,,      

23 minutes ago, TAYLOR said:

no chance this year in scotland we seem to be doing no bad in the vaccines but will take time to get it all done and with alot not getting it its still never going to go away.....   i am  piority for the vaccine so should get it in a few months

but i think no concerts at least for the next few years at least,,      

Agreed! Here in Brazil as well!

16 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I think most casual fans kind of assumed there would be new music by 2017-18... almost all the comments on their social media pages now have tons of people asking about new music, and that sure as shit isn't just made up of die hard fans. SOYL got some decent radio play for a few weeks after it was released, there is/was some general interest in "new" music. Their biggest problem now is that they've waited too long to release anything, so instead of riding the momentum they had early in the reunion they now have to rebuild that hype/momentum. (And literally nobody expects them to release another AFD btw.)

Also, some people here seem to seriously underestimate how popular the UYI songs are... those albums really don't have a lot of "deep cuts". When your entire catalogue is essentially 3 popular albums, even "casual fans" are gonna be familiar with Estranged, Pretty Tied Up, Coma, etc. Civil War and Yesterdays still get occasional radio play, last time I heard Don't Cry on the radio is was the alt version... let's not pretend they only know November Rain.

Casual, hardcore, whatever at this point! What bugs me is that people have been asking for new music for more than a decade and they are sitting on a bat-shit crazy gold mine.

It really doesn't make sense why they did not release anything, other than that "they don't want to".

I also agree: they lost the reunion momentum, the only thing that could save it is a full-reunion with Adler and Izzy and an album by all the alumini, other than that I think is already a goner.

Edited by Legendador
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Legendador said:

the only thing that can save it is a full-reunion with Adler and Izzy and an album by all the alumini, other than that I think is already a goner.

Even that is "too little too late" at this point. People already saw the reunion that they cared about - Axl and Slash. A different rhythm guitarist and a drummer with better hair wouldn't be enough to keep filling stadiums.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yes. I'd wager the prospect of having those songs played would drum up more interest than any new song taking the place of a well loved classic song.

2 hours ago, JimiRose said:

They're a band! Musicians! musicians release music. By this logic, why did they even bother releasing the illusions? Why did ACDC release anything after back in black? Release new music, tour it. that's the deal. 

That's what I said a page ago already.

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

The idea that 'there's no point' if you've done something great in the past is insane. Imagine if The Beatles had done that! 'Well, you know, nothing we do is going to be as good as Revolver, so let's never release anything ever again'!

I said there is no point in terms of touring and actual demand for new music outside of die hard fans. I never said that they shouldn't do it. Don't twist what I said.

31 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

That's what I said a page ago already.

I said there is no point in terms of touring and actual demand for new music outside of die hard fans. I never said that they shouldn't do it. Don't twist what I said.

Please point out the bit where I'm twisting anything anyone says, or even referring to anyone specific. 

Only hardcore fans were asking for new music between 2010 and 2018.

Since then it’s been hardcore fans AND casual fans. It got incredibly more frequent since 2019. ALL of their posts since then have “we want new music” type of comments as the most liked ones. It’s really noticeable.

I’m sure they know that. And it’s obvious that an album won’t be difficult when it comes to label deals now that Slash and Duff are back. At least Axl had the “they won’t accept a new album without Slash” excuse back then. Now it’s even more obvious that the only barrier stopping new music from being released is Axl himself. 

And yes. New music DOES impact on ticket sales. Maybe not because of the quality of the new songs, but DEFINITELY because of the huge marketing campaign that the first Axl and Slash album in 30 years will have.

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Please point out the bit where I'm twisting anything anyone says, or even referring to anyone specific. 

Since you're responding to something I have said/are misrepresenting something I said, it's a given. No one else was making a similar point.

28 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

The 'they can sell tickets without a new album' thing is sort of blown out of the water by the fact.....they aren't selling tickets. 

And that a new album will solve all problems isn't proven either. I think the main obstacle are ticket prices. The novelty has worn off. People who haven't seen them before, already caved it and bought expensive tickets. Some don't want to do this again.

5 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Since you're responding to something I have said/are misrepresenting something I said, it's a given. No one else was making a similar point.

The 'casuals don't want new music' is a constant claim and debate on here.

I quoted a different poster discussing the issue, so literally have no clue why you thinking I'm 'twisting any of your words'. I have no idea what your opinions on the matter are....if I could be bothered I could go back a few pages and find out I suppose, if you've discussed it? 

Probably not worth my time and effort though, I'd be guessing! 

So....on with the debate! 

Edited by allwaystired

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

The 'casuals don't want new music' is a constant claim and debate on here.

I quoted a different poster discussing the issue, so literally have no clue why you thinking I'm 'twisting any of your words'. I have no idea what your opinions on the matter are....if I could be bothered I could go back a few pages and find out I suppose, if you've discussed it? 

Probably not worth my time and effort though, I'd be guessing! 

So....on with the debate! 

Right. The old "I haven't read what you posted in the last 5 hours" thing. Yeah. Whatever. No point discussing and reading what people write here. :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Right. The old "I haven't read what you posted in the last 5 hours" thing. Yeah. Whatever. No point discussing and reading what people write here. :facepalm:

Would it help matters move along if I just lied at this point and said "yes, I set out to twist the words of you, even though I was quite clearly quoting and responding to someone else?" 

I mean, whatever works for you really at this juncture. It doesn't really matter to me one way or the other, but clearly it's bothering you! 

22 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Would it help matters move along if I just lied at this point and said "yes, I set out to twist the words of you, even though I was quite clearly quoting and responding to someone else?" 

I mean, whatever works for you really at this juncture. It doesn't really matter to me one way or the other, but clearly it's bothering you! 

Geez. You weren't really responding. You were merely doubling down on what that other guy (in response to me) said and repeated what he said. So forgive me in assuming it was directed at me. Way to dodge the issue though. But alright, should have known it was a waste of time to even respond to anything here. There is nothing worth to talk about GNR at this point.

1 minute ago, PatrickS77 said:

Geez. You weren't really responding. You were merely doubling down on what that other guy (in response to me) said and repeated what he said. So forgive me in assuming it was directed at me. Way to dodge the issue though. But alright, should have known it was a waste of time to even respond to anything here. There is nothing worth to talk about GNR at this point.

No worries! As I say, had no idea someone would think I was twisting words, so was a little surprised when you said it! As I say though, not really a big deal! 

Well, all forums are sort of a waste of time in the grand scheme of things! 

5 hours ago, allwaystired said:

The idea that 'there's no point' if you've done something great in the past is insane. Imagine if The Beatles had done that! 'Well, you know, nothing we do is going to be as good as Revolver, so let's never release anything ever again'! 

'Ah, you know, I made The Godfather, and everyone loved that, so there's no point making another film!' 

It's an excuse only ever applied to GNR- there's no other band it could be used on. Any other band acknowledges they have a 'classic album' or two in their back catalogue that will never be matched in terms of popularity or cultural reference (and a lot of this is simply right thing, right time in history) thinks 'great' and moves on.  

Saying a band should never bother to do anything new as it will never be as popular is absolutely astonishing really. 

Yep it's true madness. What's sad is, the GnR fanbase are not only one of the most mistreated, they're probably one of the least demanding. Yet TB and Axl have made the fans feel like they ask for too much, simply for asking for a music video to accompany a single. A meet and greet at a gig. A new album more often than once in 30 years. And some fans even have stockholm syndrome, they think GnR don't need to release new music, or videos or do anything that any other band does, simply because 34 years ago they released a great album. No fan base is more suffering, and sadly this has warped some minds.

Edited by JimiRose
error
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

bUt cAsuAls oNly WanT thE HiTs

I don’t know why people say this. GNR has like 6 hit songs. Songs that actually charted well. People come to hear great music and see Axl/Slash, probably more Slash at this point. I don’t care what anybody says Axl is looking stranger every tour, which maybe wouldn’t be too bad if Duff and Fortus both weren’t standing right next to him in excellent health. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I don’t know why people say this. GNR has like 6 hit songs. Songs that actually charted well. People come to hear great music and see Axl/Slash, probably more Slash at this point. I don’t care what anybody says Axl is looking stranger every tour, which maybe wouldn’t be too bad if Duff and Fortus both weren’t standing right next to him in excellent health. 

I can't argue with a lot of what you said. There are definitely the November rain / Sweet child women who couldn't give a toss about any other song and when the songs get played they push right up as close they can get through the crowd, and when the songs finish they retreat to get more over-priced white wine from the bar. 

As for Axl, you are right! but most people forget that he's let himself go! they don't think about him that often and when they do they are probably watching old clips form the 90s or maybe even AFDemocracy (long shot)... where he looks somewhat better than he does today. Let's see what version of Axl emerges from the covid trenches! It would be an ideal time for him to get into better shape... but if he's anything like me, motivation might be an issue😅

• Like 1

I didnt even try to get tickets for any of the US shows bc I dont believe they are going to happen.  it took forever to get Ticketmaster to refund me last year, all the while I had to pay interest to my credit card company bc I had a balance on my credit card.  things haven't got any better for me financially so I'm not going to waste any more money on credit card interest.  perhaps there are others in the boat as well which may contribute to the poor sales

the reality is the US wont acive herd immunity until about 75 percent of the population had been vaccinated.   so that's over 200 million people.  the 2 vaccines have been out for less than a month and they have immunized 5.9 million people.  More vaccines are on their way which will get things moving even faster, but how many people can realistically get a vaccine in a month?  even if its 40 million per month, we are talking about nearly 5 months.  and the 2 vaccines that are out will take 2 months from the date of the first shot to be fully effective.

so IMO I dont believe there can be a tour until October at best.  

if they dont release a new album by then, I would think the only way the tour will generate any demand is bring back the AFD5 and announce they are playing the full AFD album during the show.  that might be enough to get the casual fan to go to a show.  

Edited by Chester 524
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Chester 524 said:

I didnt even try to get tickets for any of the US shows bc I dont believe they are going to happen.  it took forever to get Ticketmaster to refund me last year, all the while I had to pay interest to my credit card company bc I had a balance on my credit card.  things haven't got any better for me financially so I'm not going to waste any more money on credit card interest.  perhaps there are others in the boat as well which may contribute to the poor sales

the reality is the US wont acive herd immunity until about 75 percent of the population had been vaccinated.   so that's over 200 million people.  the 2 vaccines have been out for less than a month and they have immunized 5.9 million people.  More vaccines are on their way which will get things moving even faster, but how many people can realistically get a vaccine in a month?  even if its 40 million per month, we are talking about nearly 5 months.  and the 2 vaccines that are out will take 2 months from the date of the first shot to be fully effective.

if they dont release a new album by then, I would think the only way the tour will generate any demand is bring back the AFD5 and announce they are playing the full AFD album during the show.  that might be enough to get the casual fan to go to a show.  

There is never going to be an AFD5 tour. For one there will always be Dizzy and another keyboardist. And Steven is just too damn goofy to deal with for those other guys. 

5 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

My heart goes out to all Americans, you have an awful lot to deal with at the moment.  Better days will come, maybe when Guns get back touring we can fly in (yea remember aeroplanes!) and attend  a show together ;)

I meant all from the site:)