North America 2021 rescheduled/cancelled/new tour dates discussion thread

15 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yes. I'd wager the prospect of having those songs played would drum up more interest than any new song taking the place of a well loved classic song.

I also have a problem with amount of covers they play and that could be exchanged by "deep cuts".

I always wondered why "Slither'? They murdered the song! "By The Sword" instead!

Drop "Black Hole Sun", KOHD's new version is boring, Live and Let Die, Attitude (Duff could play one of his own songs), Speak Softly, Wish You're Here, Layla, Raw Power, YCPYAAAM.

We are talking a set with 10 plus covers! WTF!

To  me the only one worthy is "Witchita Linemen", which sounds great.

Instead they could be playing My Michelle, Perfect Crime, Bad Apples, The Garden (fuck they played with Alice Cooper in SP - another missed opportunity), Pretty Tied Up, You're Crazy, and don't even get me started on Shadow of Your Love, they could have played Crash Diet, Just Another Sunday, Ain't Going Down.

I just can't with GNR nowdays, I just... can't...

Edited by Legendador

2 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I think there is a possibility for some european dates in some countries this year if they move them to the fall! Here is Sweden for example they will have everyone over 18 vaccinated by late April according to our health minister.

A bit cold for outside shows! Plus, many of them are in football grounds, and can only use the venues as it's out of season. 

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

A bit cold for outside shows! Plus, many of them are in football grounds, and can only use the venues as it's out of season. 

That's true, the only way it would happen is if the band was actively working with the promoters to change to indoor venues. But knowing this band that won't happen... 

I know that the gig in Sweden at least is at a festival so if they reschedule to say September there may be a chance but then again, the thought of a festival in late summer/early spring is a bit optimistic even though everyone there should have been vaccinated by at least 4-5 months at that point!

14 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

That's true, the only way it would happen is if the band was actively working with the promoters to change to indoor venues. But knowing this band that won't happen... 

I know that the gig in Sweden at least is at a festival so if they reschedule to say September there may be a chance but then again, the thought of a festival in late summer/early spring is a bit optimistic even though everyone there should have been vaccinated by at least 4-5 months at that point!

I think it's way more likely they don't happen at all.

Will they reschedule again though? I notice a lot of bands (The 1975 today) have just pulled their tours altogether, meaning they can make new plans when possible. That seems a more sensible policy to me. 

On 1/9/2021 at 1:27 AM, fowlerisgod said:

Rumors on another board that Izzy and Adler are back in...

that move is inevitable.  Ticket sales are plumming with NITL entering its 5th year, it is either that or new album, guess which one Axl preffers?  Of course, covid didn't help Axl either.

If not now, it will be down the line eventually.

This isn't official obviously but Meegan was going through old photos on her Instagram story the other day and she mentioned that she doesn't think touring will resume this year. I have to agree with her. It just doesn't make sense. I won't be surprised if more artists cancel their tours in the coming months. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, baje said:

This isn't official obviously but Meegan was going through old photos on her Instagram story the other day and she mentioned that she doesn't think touring will resume this year. I have to agree with her. It just doesn't make sense. I won't be surprised if more artists cancel their tours in the coming months. 

Agreed! Maybe late 2022.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Frankfurt93 said:

that move is inevitable.  Ticket sales are plumming with NITL entering its 5th year, it is either that or new album, guess which one Axl preffers?  Of course, covid didn't help Axl either.

If not now, it will be down the line eventually.

The thing is, by this point, not even Izzy or Adler could save the legacy, the band / reunion lost its momentum and a full reunion would be only for the classic era die hard fans, which maybe represent 40-50% of all the major foruns put together!

If also put together in real life we would not even fill a small stadium, let alone have a drive for another leg of a full world tour.

Maybe in south america.

Edited by Legendador
  • Like 1

Izzy and Steven happening could be a one-off thing, and that's it. No way these guys would tour the world for years, playing Chinese Democracy songs. And firing Frank, taking a risk with unpredictable Steven, plus firing 4tus, because 3 guitars would be a mess, is just nonsense, as well as any perpetuated alternating would be. Deal with it. 

I still have my ticket for Marley park in Dublin for now June 22nd and while I’ve kept it, I’d be very surprised if it goes ahead on that date. Maybe later in the summer but even that is a push given the rollout of the vaccine her in Ireland. I know of one person who has asthma and the latest they will get their second dose is July. I’d love it happen but like others here I think the Australian and New Zealand date next winter(or summer there) will be the start point. 

4 hours ago, Finck2006 said:

Hope the tour got cancelled.

No more caah grab

They'll still have fans throwing money at them, unfortunately. There's a new thread every week with people still somehow celebrating bullshit merch. As long as people are throwing money at GN'R for useless shit instead of new music, it doesn't really matter what the useless shit is: tour or merch. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, jamillos said:

Izzy and Steven happening could be a one-off thing, and that's it. No way these guys would tour the world for years, playing Chinese Democracy songs. And firing Frank, taking a risk with unpredictable Steven, plus firing 4tus, because 3 guitars would be a mess, is just nonsense, as well as any perpetuated alternating would be. Deal with it. 

You know, I agree, but I think people under estimate Adler! He's been clean / sober for years and he can play, I think he's not unpredictable because he could handle it, I think there's to much bad blood still and he could snap at any time, talk shit to the press, or disclose some top secret inner workings of the band. He is not unpredictable, he's unreliable and they don't want drama.

Izzy on the other hand doesn't want to have drama, and for the way he's been acting around the band there's been a lot. I think Izzy is the unpredictable one.

45 minutes ago, Legendador said:

You know, I agree, but I think people under estimate Adler! He's been clean / sober for years and he can play, I think he's not unpredictable because he could handle it, I think there's to much bad blood still and he could snap at any time, talk shit to the press, or disclose some top secret inner workings of the band. He is not unpredictable, he's unreliable and they don't want drama.

Izzy on the other hand doesn't want to have drama, and for the way he's been acting around the band there's been a lot. I think Izzy is the unpredictable one.

I agree, and this could be similar with Matt. Not that it would necessarily be a bad thing - stirring shit around the staleness and poor management would only help IMO. But still, you never know when some backache hits Steven again, plus can you imagine him playing stuff like Shackler's Revenge? (I know they haven't done this one in particular, but you know what I mean). Alternating musicians can be a one-gig thing, not a routine. It's not happening. 

11 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I agree, and this could be similar with Matt. Not that it would necessarily be a bad thing - stirring shit around the staleness and poor management would only help IMO. But still, you never know when some backache hits Steven again, plus can you imagine him playing stuff like Shackler's Revenge? (I know they haven't done this one in particular, but you know what I mean). Alternating musicians can be a one-gig thing, not a routine. It's not happening. 

You know, I do see Steven playing Shackler's, I mus be dellusional, but I really see it.

But about Matt, I really do think that he burned his bridges with EVERYONE in the camp, his ego is outta control, he is spitfull in every remark he makes, his book has intersting info, but comes in a terrible time when things seem to be peacefull among other members. He is a negative person allways saying negative things about the band or trying to say something nice, but you can feel the irony behind. Great player, but I think his envious and jealous, at least that's what his behaviour and words are showing in the last couple of years (since VR, maybe).

I miss Gilby though.

Edited by Legendador

I haven't read through this whole topic but:

#1, the NA dates are still on the website

#2, there is no chance they would play the earlier European dates and then not the later NA dates.  Either both go on or both get cancelled

Although the vaccine rollout hasn't started perfectly, there is still a chance that all in the US who wish to be vaccinated can be vaccinated before June assuming the Johnson and Johnson vaccine gets approved soon and starts rolling out in March.

Whoever said early in the thread that nobody under 60 will be vaccinated this year is wrong.  Leaving out the healthcare providers under 60 who already have been vaccinated, I wouldn't expect people under 60 to have access before April but it will certainly be this year.

2 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

#2, there is no chance they would play the earlier European dates and then not the later NA dates.  Either both go on or both get cancelled

Although the vaccine rollout hasn't started perfectly, there is still a chance that all in the US who wish to be vaccinated can be vaccinated before June assuming the Johnson and Johnson vaccine gets approved soon and starts rolling out in March.

Whoever said early in the thread that nobody under 60 will be vaccinated this year is wrong.  Leaving out the healthcare providers under 60 who already have been vaccinated, I wouldn't expect people under 60 to have access before April but it will certainly be this year.

That was me I think. Coming at it from a UK point of view. It's not even scheduled over here, date wise, so who knows when it might happen. Could be this year of course......but we have a really really awful government here at the moment (hence why Covid is so bad) so no-one is very optimistic, or particularly believes what they're told by these people as we've had so many lies in the past year. 

I think you're right about both tours or nothing- but I'd definitely go with neither happening..

• Like 1

Regarding the earlier discussion on songs that the band has to play, I don't feel like that's ever the case with a band unless their only choice is playing to nostalgia without any new content to support them.  I think of artists like David Bowie who after releasing a new album would dedicate the entire setlist to promoting the album and the "era" surrounding it, leaving the old material behind to the disappointment of some fans.  A good example of him doing that was when Heathen was released, and he basically played the album cover to cover.

When Axl said he wanted to "bury Appetite" with Chinese Democracy, he did the shittiest job going about doing that imaginable.  There would have been a lot more progression if the band simply dropped songs like SCOM, PC, RQ entirely for at least a period of time.

Edited by Gackt
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

The band need to do something new or they are screwed at this point. Shows aren't happening any time soon, and ticket sales that were bad pre covid will be much worse after. 

At this point I'd probably be fine if they simply called it a day now, unless something new is coming. 

Would leave a bit of a bad taste in the mouth that the end was a wind-down in enthusiasm and quality, but I'd prefer that to another few years if things aren't going to change or get better. 

Ideal scenario is still within their grasp though in my vjew- new album, new energy, etc etc. It's still all theirs for the taking......if they want it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

Although the vaccine rollout hasn't started perfectly, there is still a chance that all in the US who wish to be vaccinated can be vaccinated before June assuming the Johnson and Johnson vaccine gets approved soon and starts rolling out in March

you are correct.  I'm well under 60 yrs old and was vaccinated today.  I'm not a doctor or first responder.   so it's happening.  how quickly we get to herd immunity is certainly a debatable question

Edited by Chester 524
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Gackt said:

Regarding the earlier discussion on songs that the band has to play, I don't feel like that's ever the case with a band unless their only choice is playing to nostalgia without any new content to support them.  I think of artists like David Bowie who after releasing a new album would dedicate the entire setlist to promoting the album and the "era" surrounding it, leaving the old material behind to the disappointment of some fans.  A good example of him doing that was when Heathen was released, and he basically played the album cover to cover.

When Axl said he wanted to "bury Appetite" with Chinese Democracy, he did the shittiest job going about doing that imaginable.  There would have been a lot more progression if the band simply dropped songs like SCOM, PC, RQ entirely for at least a period of time.

Axl said he wanted to bury Appetite with UYI, not Chinese? maybe you meant UYI, not sure.

anyway, I think Gn'R must play some Gn'R tunes. Bowie was a completely different "animal". The band did play 8 Chinese tunes in one of the NITL shows, but maybe Gn'R is the type of band that when it comes to live shows, do cater to what most people that pay to see the show want to hear.

So I'm pretty sure they're always going to play WTTJ, Easy, Brownstone, Nightrain, PC, KOHD, NR, SCOM, and LALD at the very least and probably Estranged, Civil War and Don't Cry/Patience as well in every show.

that's pretty much half a show and I get why an old band of this caliber does that but yeah it sucks and even if Axl released new music every 3-4 years it would still never be as cool and fresh as it could have been if they didn't play these tunes on every show night.

the fact these songs reached this status is impressive, that a lot of people kinda expect them to be performed but I would have loved it if the band was less commercial but they're not. They're bigger as an entity as long as they keep playing the most popular tunes and maybe Axl wants it to stay that way, cause he said the tunes he prefers to play live are Chinese tunes. So it's also a business.

Edited by Rovim