North America 2021 rescheduled/cancelled/new tour dates discussion thread

On 1/13/2021 at 7:39 AM, El Guapo said:

It's too late for that now. What are they gonna do - same old songs, Axl still sounding like shit, no new music. Plus everone knows what the motivation for that would be. It would be even more depressing than what we have now, 100%.

No new music has finally become an issue this many years later. Whatever chemistry remains within the big 3 it must be only be In performing live. We don’t know if Axl still wants to make music and develop the ideas to an actual release. If there isn’t going to be new music, and I mean, if Axl internally has accepted that reality, then there should be one final tour around the globe. Even with new music, Axl at 60 performing music live just isn’t an appealing idea. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

No new music has finally become an issue this many years later. Whatever chemistry remains within the big 3 it must be only be In performing live. We don’t know if Axl still wants to make music and develop the ideas to an actual release. If there isn’t going to be new music, and I mean, if Axl internally has accepted that reality, then there should be one final tour around the globe. Even with new music, Axl at 60 performing music live just isn’t an appealing idea. 

If this is the case one final tour

No covers, including the fortus/shash/WYWH covers.

No VR songs

No noodling just one song after another.

2 to 2.5 hour show. Axl wont last doing a 3 hour show anymore

Forget about YCBM and Coma Axl just cannot consustantly sing them.

Focus on the hits and deep cuts but the lower register songs.

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

Axl said he wanted to bury Appetite with UYI, not Chinese? maybe you meant UYI, not sure.

The phrasing came back when Axl tried progressing the band past the 80's and become something "modern" for the times, which Chinese could have been if it was released in 2000.  Continuing to be stuck in the cycle of playing the hits is what drove artists like Bucket out of the band, and had us end up with NITL, with a line-up that's cool with not progressing anywhere besides making some money over the past five years.

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

Axl said he wanted to bury Appetite with UYI, not Chinese? maybe you meant UYI, not sure.

Yes, he was pretty young when I remember that video interview.  I'm fairly certain it was before UYI.

I took it as a general statement on future (better) albums, not necessarily specifically UYI but who knows.

22 hours ago, Jw224 said:

The band need to do something new or they are screwed at this point. Shows aren't happening any time soon, and ticket sales that were bad pre covid will be much worse after. 

If the shows don't get cancelled (which will mean a high percentage of US population vaccinated before summer), I think ticket sales might be better than you expect.  There is going to be pent up demand from a lot of people just wanting to do "something" that they couldn't do since last March.  The flip side is the economy will have fewer people who can afford the high prices so the prices may need to come down a bit.

On 1/15/2021 at 10:00 AM, Sweersa said:

I took it as a general statement on future (better) albums, not necessarily specifically UYI but who knows.

That's exactly what he meant. He didn't hate Appetite, he just wanted to out-do it. Most artists, regardless of what type of profession they're in (writer, painter etc.), strive to make their next work better than their last. Anything less is seen (by the artist) as a regression and a signal that the well is drying up.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Nintari said:

That's exactly what he meant. He didn't hate Appetite, he just wanted to out-do it. Most artists, regardless of what type of profession they're in (writer, painter etc.), strive to make their next work better than their last. Anything less is seen (by the artist) as a regression and a signal that the well is drying up.

If that’s the case, then he tried too hard.

EDIT: Then again, it’s cool to hear the sound “evolve” over the course of AFD, UYI, and CD. So I’ll give Axl credit for that!

Edited by rocknroll41

The "I want to bury Appetite" statement was in 1989.

The exact quote:

Axl: We found ourselves trying to write the next 'Jungle', write the next 'Paradise City', you know, and it's... we didn't want to but it was happening... Lyrics were coming out with lines about our other songs. That took a few months to get past that, to where we'd put those to rest. It's like, I hope this album's more successful because I just want to bury 'Appetite.' It's like, I like the album but I'm sick of it. I don't wanna live my life through that one album. I have to bury it. So rather than just throwing a bunch of songs together, we think of far more going over it, you know, with a fine-tooth comb and just working on everything to try... That's the goal, bury 'Appetite.'

https://www.a-4-d.com/t503-1989-mm-dd-mtv-interview-with-axl

And in December 1992, talking about UYI:

Q:  As you look back on the UYI albums with a little perspective, are you still glad that you released so much material at one time?

Axl: Slash and I were just discussing that this morning, and there's no way we regret it. We're very proud of what we've done. We had planned on doing that even before we had done our first album. We didn't know that it would include quite as many songs, but we knew we had to bury Appetite in some way. There was no way to out-do that album, and if we didn't out-do Appetite in one way or another it was going to take away from our success and the amount of power we had gained to do what we wanted. We got all the material we needed to out of our system, and commercially it's been a major success.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t1660-1993-06-dd-hit-parader-interview-with-axl

• Like 3

On 1/14/2021 at 12:18 PM, Legendador said:

You know, I agree, but I think people under estimate Adler! He's been clean / sober for years and he can play, I think he's not unpredictable because he could handle it, I think there's to much bad blood still and he could snap at any time, talk shit to the press, or disclose some top secret inner workings of the band. He is not unpredictable, he's unreliable and they don't want drama.

Izzy on the other hand doesn't want to have drama, and for the way he's been acting around the band there's been a lot. I think Izzy is the unpredictable one.

Technically Adler could make his way through the set, but it's the backstage antics that would be the issue... and that's why he's on the sidelines. That's just how it is.

As for Izzy, he doesn't want drama and he doesn't want to be a regular member. I think he made a mistake not coming back full time because the dynamic has changed a lot since even 2012 when he guested last. Obviously he wasn't happy with the money, but they could have negotiated and come to a more soothing figure had he stayed at the table.

On 1/14/2021 at 1:50 PM, Gnrcane said:

I haven't read through this whole topic but:

#1, the NA dates are still on the website

#2, there is no chance they would play the earlier European dates and then not the later NA dates.  Either both go on or both get cancelled

Although the vaccine rollout hasn't started perfectly, there is still a chance that all in the US who wish to be vaccinated can be vaccinated before June assuming the Johnson and Johnson vaccine gets approved soon and starts rolling out in March.

Whoever said early in the thread that nobody under 60 will be vaccinated this year is wrong.  Leaving out the healthcare providers under 60 who already have been vaccinated, I wouldn't expect people under 60 to have access before April but it will certainly be this year.

I think it's a matter of time before those dates in Europe are pulled. We're currently looking at lockdown until mid February at the very minimum (I think march is optimistic), so the idea that in June 30-60000 people will be allowed to big stadium shows is laughable. Hey, it's great if it happens! but judging by how the vaccines are being rolled out and the short supply of them! I think 2021 touring for large crowds is going to be fairly wiped out. 2022 is my current bet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

There are still people expecting this year's shows to happen? :lol:

Live shows in 2021: Use Your Delusion 

It's highly unlikely but if the vaccine rollout goes as planned (which is not what I really expect) and they are effective against all these new variants there is a small possibly that the US could have concerts in July. Very small possibility but not completely impossible.

There is supposed to be enough vaccine supply to vaccinate 300 million people in the US by June. I don't really think the logistics will get good enough to inject all those doses in that time frame even if the supply is there but maybe there will be enough play money in the next relief bill to accelerate it. You never know. Slash did rejoin Axl and we never thought that would happen.

1 hour ago, Gnrcane said:

It's highly unlikely but if the vaccine rollout goes as planned (which is not what I really expect) and they are effective against all these new variants there is a small possibly that the US could have concerts in July. Very small possibility but not completely impossible.

There is supposed to be enough vaccine supply to vaccinate 300 million people in the US by June. I don't really think the logistics will get good enough to inject all those doses in that time frame even if the supply is there but maybe there will be enough play money in the next relief bill to accelerate it. You never know. Slash did rejoin Axl and we never thought that would happen.

Well, the chance is small, and in any case, I forgot this thread is about North America only, whereas I meant more the EU dates, which definitely are not happening. I of course wish you Yanks the gigs to happen... 

• Like 1

I think the most irritating thing about the Europe/USA tours not happening will be another year of the 'album will be out when they can tour' narrative.....from fans as much as the band themselves. 

The only way that line would stop being a subject of debate was when they started touring again. I was curious about what the line would be if touring started again and no album came!  

Australia might happen in November I suppose......I'll predict now that if it does and we get nothing new it will be "they need time to get back into touring again, and the audience just want a chance to get out again and have a good time to songs they know- it's not the right time for new material". 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I think the most irritating thing about the Europe/USA tours not happening will be another year of the 'album will be out when they can tour' narrative.....from fans as much as the band themselves. 

The only way that line would stop being a subject of debate was when they started touring again. I was curious about what the line would be if touring started again and no album came!  

Australia might happen in November I suppose......I'll predict now that if it does and we get nothing new it will be "they need time to get back into touring again, and the audience just want a chance to get out again and have a good time to songs they know- it's not the right time for new material". 

maybe Axl can use most of this year to work on the record? or maybe he's already working hard on it non stop for 25 minutes a day, every day.

2 hours ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

theres nothing more cringeworthy than the thought of a socially distanced moshpit... if you cant do it right, dont do it at all

What do you mean?  Wouldn't it be fun for everybody to have a 6' circle to stand in the middle of.  The energy of the crowd would be mindblowing!

To your point, even if they can do shows with distanced seating like football games in some states, that would be a terrible experience for a concert.  Either there are enough vaccinations to do a somewhat normal concert or they should cancel/postpone.

• Like 1

even if they can do shows with distanced seating like football games in some states, that would be a terrible experience for a concert.  Either there are enough vaccinations to do a somewhat normal concert or they should cancel/postpone.

yeah i dont think id go if it was 50% capacity or some shit... not to mention how crazy expensive the tickets would be... i mean, one of the reasons i pay the stupid prices they charge already is the crowd energy of a live show... i would not pay 500$ to sit there and happily clap along

• Like 1

What do you mean?  Wouldn't it be fun for everybody to have a 6' circle to stand in the middle of.  The energy of the crowd would be mindblowing!

To your point, even if they can do shows with distanced seating like football games in some states, that would be a terrible experience for a concert.  Either there are enough vaccinations to do a somewhat normal concert or they should cancel/postpone.

Well they'd have to cancel anyway, IF they decided to go down the route of fans in circles and distanced. There's straight away much less capacity and extra cost for fans and even organisers.

No doubt any structure or circle you stand in will be a tiered price. Regardless they can't email fans and say "we've changed the price, you now owe a further 200, thanks" so we arrive back at the concerts being pushed back again.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 4:28 PM, rocknroll41 said:

If that’s the case, then he tried too hard.

EDIT: Then again, it’s cool to hear the sound “evolve” over the course of AFD, UYI, and CD. So I’ll give Axl credit for that!

As much as I love the Illusions (see avatar), I think it's safe to say Axl did indeed try a little too hard. It's probably the whole reason it was a double record (because two is better than one!), and also why it's loaded with so many unnecessary embellishments.

And if anyone doubt the hypothesis that to Axl, more=better, look no further than how he attempted to outdo the Illusions.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Well they'd have to cancel anyway, IF they decided to go down the route of fans in circles and distanced. There's straight away much less capacity and extra cost for fans and even organisers.

No doubt any structure or circle you stand in will be a tiered price. Regardless they can't email fans and say "we've changed the price, you now owe a further 200, thanks" so we arrive back at the concerts being pushed back again.

Would you pay the extra $200 for a distancing circle if Izzy and Steven replaced Richard and Frank for the AFD songs?  I'd have to think about it!