Todd Kerns Interview with Richard

On 1/8/2021 at 1:19 PM, StayofExecution2020 said:

Fartus comes off like a douche. Bumble has ten times more personality and bucket is 100x the better artist than this guy.

Is Richard even an artist? All be does is go on tour and play songs he had nothing to do with

Maybe, but love watching him play.

On 1/8/2021 at 10:40 PM, MaskingApathy said:

Gilby was still very rock n roll back then though, and well liked in the scene that GnR was part of, which led to him being asked to join when Izzy left.

His image fit with what GnR was looking for and that mattered a lot, too. It was also an urgent situation at that point. Slash had approached other guitarists first (or at least one).

I don't think Richard would have been in Axl's radar in the mid-90s either. It was Tommy Stinson who recommended him as a good rock 'n' roll guitarist who could also play other stuff as well. Axl could have used his abilities more, I guess, since he also plays strings besides guitar.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, reayj2003 said:

On a different subject two of slash’s co-musicians state that new GN’R music is coming...🙏🏻

Look at Richards face when the subject comes up, I don't think we're seeing anything this year. Would love to be wrong but fuck, we've been saying "maybe this year" since 2011, I think it's fair to say 'boy who cried wolf', because for all those years there's reports of GNR being in the studio making a new album, or having a new album done! ...I guess we'll see what happens, but I can't imagine there was a plan to have a new album for the 2020 summer tour, and I see no change in that (Slash basically said as much). But they are very secretive! so they get peoples hopes up, and then 10yrs later you have a miserable fan base because they still haven't delivered. 

• Like 1

We already know new music is coming. The boys said they'd been working on it, Duff's wife said so etc. That's not the point. Besides, it would be utterly ridiculous to think that in spite of them having worked on the album and having told us so (Slash etc.), they'd eventually say "it's just not happening" for some reason. No, that's never been the point. 

The real and only point is: when.
So when someone outside the band says "new music is coming", it's not really doing anything for me. I know this much. The only relevant thing would be someone from the band (actual band, not the management) giving us some concrete time outlook. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

We already know new music is coming. The boys said they'd been working on it, Duff's wife said so etc. That's not the point. Besides, it would be utterly ridiculous to think that in spite of them having worked on the album and having told us so (Slash etc.), they'd eventually say "it's just not happening" for some reason. No, that's never been the point. 

The real and only point is: when.
So when someone outside the band says "new music is coming", it's not really doing anything for me. I know this much. The only relevant thing would be someone from the band (actual band, not the management) giving us some concrete time outlook. 

maybe no one knows when, not even Axl. Even if he knows, that can always change. It happened in 2006. I think he truly believed it was going to come out that year, like he said in the Trunk interview I think it was. He sounded so confident but as we all know it took 2 more years for it to come out.

hopefully things will be different with Slash and Duff back in Gn'R. Maybe their shared chemistry can speed things up but he's totally capable of taking even more time to perfect a potential release exactly because of the possible high expectations from a Gn'R that features 3 classic members. I generally agree with what you're saying though: I believe it's just a question of when, I just think there are plenty of reasons that support why it can take a long time, even after 12 years since Chinese was released.

Edited by Rovim

27 minutes ago, Rovim said:

maybe no one knows when, not even Axl. Even if he knows, that can always change. It happened in 2006. I think he truly believed it was going to come out that year, like he said in the Trunk interview I think it was. He sounded so confident but as we all know it took 2 more years for it to come out.

hopefully things will be different with Slash and Duff back in Gn'R. Maybe their shared chemistry can speed things up but he's totally capable of taking even more time to perfect a potential release exactly because of the possible high expectations from a Gn'R that features 3 classic members. I generally agree with what you're saying though: I believe it's just a question of when, I just think there are plenty of reasons that support why it can take a long time, even after 12 years since Chinese was released.

Right, and I believe that Slash + Duff being back in GN'R is exactly the main factor that differs this situation from the CD era. There was a huge pressure on Axl back then as well, but he was the sole boss, with just hired Guns around. The power/influence distribution in the band is changed now. Well, hopefully. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jackparker123 said:

All the people saying it's only a matter of time, I wouldn't be so sure. 

We were promised a new Stone Roses album when they made their comeback in 2012 and in the end  all we got was  4/5 years of endless touring and 2 new songs.

Expect nothing from GNR!

If we get 2 new songs that’s a win in my book...! 😂

But seriously....they tried to do a new album but it wasn’t working so they knocked it on the head. At least GNR haven’t split yet......

Can you imagine getting just ONE new song....this place would explode! 😂

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

If we get 2 new songs that’s a win in my book...! 😂

But seriously....they tried to do a new album but it wasn’t working so they knocked it on the head. At least GNR haven’t split yet......

Can you imagine getting just ONE new song....this place would explode! 😂

Aint Goin Down (with vocals) should keep us happy until the 2030s.

• Haha 1

On 1/10/2021 at 4:51 PM, reayj2003 said:

On a different subject two of slash’s co-musicians state that new GN’R music is coming...🙏🏻

Links please? I’ve been out of the loop for a bit.

EDIT: oh wait did you just mean this interview itself? Cause if so, that’s far from a confirmation for anything lol.

Edited by rocknroll41

17 hours ago, jackparker123 said:

All the people saying it's only a matter of time, I wouldn't be so sure. 

We were promised a new Stone Roses album when they made their comeback in 2012 and in the end  all we got was  4/5 years of endless touring and 2 new songs.

Expect nothing from GNR!

I expect Axl to try his best. I believe he wants to do it and he's not alone anymore. There are 2 more classic members in the band who understand what a Gn'R album is supposed to sound like and there is existing unreleased material to work with. They seem to get along very well and it's like they're a team again, no ego driven bullshit.

so yeah, if anyone is capable of not releasing an album it's Axl Rose, but I'm optimistic cause my guess is that it bothers him that the Gn'R catalog is small and I think he cares about the legacy of the band as far as studio albums go (part of the reason I think he doesn't release albums he doesn't believe in)

Gn'R are not the Stone Roses. I think Axl just wants to release the right album with the chance for it to do well and I think they are still capable of completing a great album even without Izzy.

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

I expect Axl to try his best. I believe he wants to do it and he's not alone anymore. There are 2 more classic members in the band who understand what a Gn'R album is supposed to sound like and there is existing unreleased material to work with. They seem to get along very well and it's like they're a team again, no ego driven bullshit.

so yeah, if anyone is capable of not releasing an album it's Axl Rose, but I'm optimistic cause my guess is that it bothers him that the Gn'R catalog is small and I think he cares about the legacy of the band as far as studio albums go (part of the reason I think he doesn't release albums he doesn't believe in)

Gn'R are not the Stone Roses. I think Axl just wants to release the right album with the chance for it to do well and I think they are still capable of completing a great album even without Izzy.

I would like nothing more than a new album from GNR but 15 original songs from Axl in 29 years doesn't fill me with confidence.

3 hours ago, jackparker123 said:

I would like nothing more than a new album from GNR but 15 original songs from Axl in 29 years doesn't fill me with confidence.

maybe Axl kept second guessing himself without Slash, trying to prove he could do it on his own cause we know Chinese was ready in 1999. What I'm saying is I believe they can complete it and there would be no reason to delay it if Axl thinks it's good enough. With Slash and Duff back in the band, the material should naturally sound more like classic Gn'R, so that could potentially give Axl more artistic confidence.

and they were on a long tour for 4 years. Axl does one or the other it seems, not both at the same time.

so many excuses. I can do this all day. Seriously though, I understand it's fucked Axl released just 1 album in 30 years, but maybe because circumstances have changed so much, it means the conditions are finally right for Gn'R to move forward.

I still think they'll first complete the postponed shows and that it will take a while before Axl will be satisfied with the album but I think he'll get there eventually.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 4:25 PM, MaskingApathy said:

A while back someone had shared a video of Fortus and Frank playing with love spit love or someone on TV around 1995. Look at them there and then ask yourself if Slash and Duff (and Matt) back then would've even considered those 2 in GnR (or snakepit or something).

Duff I really couldn't say... But Slash, the guy who auditioned for Poison? The Guy who hired the guitar player from Jellyfish to lead his solo band? The guy who called the singer for Pussycat Dolls to sing in his solo record?

Yeah... Right

• Like 1

Izzy was GNR, he left on his own terms and then came Gilby, who was a great fit in every aspect, THEN onwards band became an akward comedy of apperance with numerous characters who were rather bizzare and in most cases had 0 rock n roll presence.  Basically a revolving door of people not even Axl would be able to remember in 2021

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Frankfurt93 said:

Izzy was GNR, he left on his own terms and then came Gilby, who was a great fit in every aspect, THEN onwards band became an akward comedy of apperance with numerous characters who were rather bizzare and in most cases had 0 rock n roll presence.  Basically a revolving door of people not even Axl would be able to remember in 2021

Izzy wasn't GNR, he was one member of GNR and he helped write / wrote a lot of songs. If Izzy was GNR then his solo material would be far more well known. 

If we're going to talk about single members of the band as 'GNR' then the only point that stands up is brand value and that's Axl or Slash, preferably both together. Most people on the street with GNR t-shirts don't know who wrote the verse riff to this song or that song, they barely know any member outside of the singer and lead guitarist.

Izzy was clearly important to GNR though, but let's not overplay things! If he was still in the band now he'd probably be relegated to the Brad Whitford role 'Rarely heard from and quite unknown'.

As for Gilby...Gilby gets a buy through from people because he was on an iconic tour with the band and he appeared in a few videos. I like him, I liked him in the band but he isn't any better or worse a fit than Fortus. Personally I'd be happy to see Gilby back in the band, I'd prefer Izzy! but I'm also just fine with Richard... even if he has said a few dickish things in recent interviews.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Izzy wasn't GNR, he was one member of GNR and he helped write / wrote a lot of songs. If Izzy was GNR then his solo material would be far more well known. 

If we're going to talk about single members of the band as 'GNR' then the only point that stands up is brand value and that's Axl or Slash, preferably both together. Most people on the street with GNR t-shirts don't know who wrote the verse riff to this song or that song, they barely know any member outside of the singer and lead guitarist.

Izzy was clearly important to GNR though, but let's not overplay things! If he was still in the band now he'd probably be relegated to the Brad Whitford role 'Rarely heard from and quite unknown'.

As for Gilby...Gilby gets a buy through from people because he was on an iconic tour with the band and he appeared in a few videos. I like him, I liked him in the band but he isn't any better or worse a fit than Fortus. Personally I'd be happy to see Gilby back in the band, I'd prefer Izzy! but I'm also just fine with Richard... even if he has said a few dickish things in recent interviews.

Iz was GNR, as is Slash/Axl/Duff/Adler.

Matt/Dizzy/Gilby could be considered GNR in a way too, as one replaced the one leaving on his own terms and the other replacing founding member who was unable to play on, after that it became a replacement of a replacement of a replacement.

Gilby fit the band perfectly not only playing but also image wise check ie. Ashba, Bucket, Robin....

5 hours ago, Beto 22 said:

Duff I really couldn't say... But Slash, the guy who auditioned for Poison? The Guy who hired the guitar player from Jellyfish to lead his solo band? The guy who called the singer for Pussycat Dolls to sing in his solo record?

Yeah... Right

Those things aren't even remotely related.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...