Todd Kerns Interview with Richard

On 1/10/2021 at 9:28 PM, jamillos said:

Besides, it would be utterly ridiculous to think that in spite of them having worked on the album and having told us so (Slash etc.), they'd eventually say "it's just not happening" for some reason. 

I get the point your making... but it never coming out feels like an entirely possible outcome. 

For all we know Axl hasn't laid down a thing, or decided on a single melody. So best case scenario... in the worst case scenario... is that the music gets repurposed to SMKC or something in a few years. I don't think I'm alone in easily seeing them say "yeah the pieces never ended up fitting together but we had a blast with the touring... done."

If this unprecedented opportunity to hunker down and create music results in no signs of life with respect to an album by the time they get on stage again.... I'd say it's toast. 

Honestly if I was advising them I'd say: Just nail a song. One song. Do a single. If Axl is gunshy and feels at all spurned from the CD-era, you need to walk before you run. Slash knew Slither was huge, he knew Fall to Pieces was a hit, they're not stupid. They've gotta know they've got something in the chamber after 5 years or whatever to polish up and lay down with confidence, to feel that collaborative success, hear audience reception and get cohesive and get Axl fired up to do more. I mean, maybe Axl has complicating factors we don't know about, but if not...

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ant said:

I get the point your making... but it never coming out feels like an entirely possible outcome. 

For all we know Axl hasn't laid down a thing, or decided on a single melody. So best case scenario... in the worst case scenario... is that the music gets repurposed to SMKC or something in a few years. I don't think I'm alone in easily seeing them say "yeah the pieces never ended up fitting together but we had a blast with the touring... done."

If this unprecedented opportunity to hunker down and create music results in no signs of life with respect to an album by the time they get on stage again.... I'd say it's toast. 

Honestly if I was advising them I'd say: Just nail a song. One song. Do a single. If Axl is gunshy and feels at all spurned from the CD-era, you need to walk before you run. Slash knew Slither was huge, he knew Fall to Pieces was a hit, they're not stupid. They've gotta know they've got something in the chamber after 5 years or whatever to polish up and lay down with confidence, to feel that collaborative success, hear audience reception and get cohesive and get Axl fired up to do more. I mean, maybe Axl has complicating factors we don't know about, but if not...

Well that’s the thing – we don’t know. Anything at all. I’d bet Axl would take special care not to allow anyone leak any pics from any studio, rehearsal etc. unless he’d intend to do so as a part of PR. Signing a simple NDA would do the trick, and they wouldn’t wanna lose their job and maybe even risk some penalties on the top of that, would they? 
However, the “quote” you wrote there sounds so plausible to the point that it’s disturbing.
And I agree it’s basically a now-or-never situation, nothing else would make sense (then again, talk about sense vs. the usual GNR routine…). 
Yes, they definitely should release a single or an EP. Or even a rehearsal video would be something. Again, I think they want to release material only if they can tour it, which is a problem that can last longer than anyone could expect, now or in the future. Which is why something needs to come out already. If Axl’s throat works all right, he doesn’t need to be afraid of anything. And he can apparently do miracles in the studio – compare the rasp from Rock the Rock with Berlin 2018 etc. 
And I agree again that Axl definitely has some “complicating factors that we don’t know about”. I mean, he himself is an embodiment of such a factor! :D

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Oh no wait, 4tus helped write the riff for the chorus of Better. What a discography. 

Given that the song was played at every single show on the NITL tour, the second highest grossing tour of all time, I'd say that's better (pun intended) than you or I.

3 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Given that the song was played at every single show on the NITL tour, the second highest grossing tour of all time, I'd say that's better (pun intended) than you or I.

Come on, it's just a random chord progression, not the intro to SCOM or the Jungle riffs.

I personally think the Better chorus is the weakest part of the song.

2 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Come on, it's just a random chord progression, not the intro to SCOM or the Jungle riffs.

I don't disagree with ya, but regardless... it's a key part of the GNR set these days! And unfortunately for me... the band don't seem to want to cover any of my home written masterpieces! Haha!

14 hours ago, El Guapo said:

it's actually a riff and imo it gives the song much needed balls. Makes it rock much harder. It's a good part that fits well.