Slash/Duff/Frank relationship

over the years there were a lot of ppl who heard that the relationship between Slash/Duff and the hired guns was not all roses.

then there were some pro Frank minorities who got really offended, up to the point they couldn't get over that and even banned ppl who were not to keen on Frank for 'where is your proof'.

Well here is something that I don't recall being discussed here, from Fortus himself.   Enjoy!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/richard_fortus_admits_slash__duff_struggled_to_adapt_to_new_gnr_drummer_during_reunion_says_buckethead_definitely_can_be_difficult_to_work_with.html

Edited by Frankfurt93

37 minutes ago, moreblack said:

It's fine, they made it work in the end

Lol. Perfect answer. Fortus did state in an interview that the timing with those 3 took time. I mean Frank is a good drummer, but he was plucked from a bar band. He must pinch himself daily for his fortune. There was no way Axl was bringing in anybody new or old. 

1 hour ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Lol. Perfect answer. Fortus did state in an interview that the timing with those 3 took time. I mean Frank is a good drummer, but he was plucked from a bar band. He must pinch himself daily for his fortune. There was no way Axl was bringing in anybody new or old. 

Dude he was playing in the Psychedelic Furs when they picked him up, and he played with them 2 more years after that. Not exactly a bar band.

2 hours ago, The Matinator said:

Dude he was playing in the Psychedelic Furs when they picked him up, and he played with them 2 more years after that. Not exactly a bar band.

Well, it’s whatever, I love the guy. He’s the only GNR drummer I’ve seen live. And he’s not a goofball like Steve or a douche bag like Matt. I’d love to interview Frank and hear what’s it been like for him. He keeps his head down. 

1 hour ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Well, it’s whatever, I love the guy. He’s the only GNR drummer I’ve seen live. And he’s not a goofball like Steve or a douche bag like Matt. I’d love to interview Frank and hear what’s it been like for him. He keeps his head down. 

Keeps his head down, because he’s struggling to stay in time... :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I think that short sided. Duff and Slash both are exhausted by Matt. They are fathers now. They have a different perspective. 

I mean strictly in terms of the creative/influential balance within the band; nothing to do with Matt. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Really? I thought Ron recommended him and he was picked out from a bar in NJ. That’s my recollection. 

No, Bumblefoot had nothing to do with it. Fortus recommended Frank. They had played together in the Psychedelic Furs and Love Spit Love and they knew each other before that (I think actually Richard brought Frank in those two bands as well). They both had also crossed paths with Tommy Stinson.

13 minutes ago, Sisyphus said:

In a nutshell I think Frank is Axl's boy. I think that his position is ensured by his loyalty to Axl and not his abilities. I feel Axl also wanted to keep Frank as a nod to the previous line-up thus trying to assure that the whole "new GN'R" era wouldn't be completely lost or forgotten.

Axl is extremely loyal to people who are loyal to him so as long as Frank doesn't do anything to piss him off he's guaranteed to remain in his position. Even at the expense of quality. Axl has reasons to keep Frank but they don't necessary have anything to do with his drumming ability. That's the way I see it.

Slash and Duff put up with it for the same reason they put him with Axl's detoriating voice, studio inactivity, useless management, unreasonable secrecy, annihilation of the hard core fanbase and systematic destruction of legacy. The dollars. $$$$$$$$ It would be useless to go into an argument with Axl regarding Frank because it's obvious this is still Axl's band and he's making the decisions.

I also see no reason to suspect Matt Sorum was lying when he said Duff had told him that Frank can't play. Judging by my ears alone I just don't see how Slash and Duff could rate him as a good drummer.

Another hint is the admission of Richard Fortus that Slash and Duff found it hard to adapt to Frank. The reason would probably be his limited ability. Also Fortus is as politically correct as they come therefore the sheer mention of this type "trouble" indicates that the chemistry isn't all that good. 

As far as Frank goes his drumming is just not up to par. He's inferior to every drummer GN'R ever had. I'm no expert but I think he simplied a lot of the fills because he just can't play them as they were meant to be. 

And also he's sort of vanilla. :D

I agree with almost everything and you have great points in there.

First of all: Everything tha Matt Sorum says about the band is full jealousy and envy amd he comes off as jaded as he could be! The dude think he's as big and relevant as the other guys,

Second of all: Matt is a great drummer, but to me GNR drums have to have that straight 4X4 groovy-punk-metalhead feel that Steven brought on AFD. Matt sounds too perfect and as machine to me.

Third of all: Frank played completely different with new GNR and I hated how he played Mr. Brownstone or Rocket Queen, but I think he adapted and changed his style o Duff and Slash. I think he's just a correct player, not outstanding, but he do his part correctly nowadays.

Fourth of all: of all the  drummers GNR had this is how I rank from best (fitting to worst): Adler > Freese > Frank > Matt > Brain.

Fifth and last of all: it bugs me about this chemistry stuff! Because  teh same Richard said in an early interview that this was the line~up with the best chemistry altogether,and now this. Something is missing or we are having a trouble in paradise.

3 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Frank over Brain? Damn.

I really don't like Brain's tone and input, he's grooveless, if you listen to the Rock In Rio 2001 concert if feels like the Tin Man is dropping a never ending flight of stairs, also he caused me a bad impression by screwing up the intro from You Could Be Mine - never forgave him for that!

22 minutes ago, Legendador said:

I really don't like Brain's tone and input, he's grooveless, if you listen to the Rock In Rio 2001 concert if feels like the Tin Man is dropping a never ending flight of stairs, also he caused me a bad impression by screwing up the intro from You Could Be Mine - never forgave him for that!

I can appreciate that perspective.

I'm more focused on studio potential, which of course is a bad focus seeing how this band put out only one album in almost 3 decades. Haha

I hope they keep a bulk of Brain's drums on the next album like they did with CD.

Edited by Sweersa

2 hours ago, Legendador said:

You really judged a man's entire career based around you not liking how he performed the intro of a song?  

• Haha 2