The US Politics/Elections Thread 2.0

downzy

10 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

I agree it was dumb to go down there, but the fact of the matter is he was charged with 1st degree murder, which implies he went there specifically to murder people. What actually happened is each person he shot attacked him first (one of them with a gun). That's just not first degree murder, and the jury agreed.

No, neither guy had a gun. Rosembaum was unarmed and Huber was "armed" with a skateboard. Of course the 3 of them could've avoided this tragedy had they stayed at home.

On 11/21/2021 at 10:56 PM, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Several people have been killed in Waukesha, WI (north of Kenosha, WI) in a car attack. I wonder if this attacker was hyped up on the Rittenhouse coverage?

https://www.cbs58.com/news/breaking-waukesha-holiday-parade-evacuated-following-emergency-event-involving-gunshots-speeding-vehicle

The moron who rode into people in the parade just beat up his g/f or wife, not sure which and took her car and sped away. He ran into the parade and killed many innocent people and alot of injured some children.

The cops got him. I don't think it was planned, but since this guy seems to be a real piece of shit, he didn't care what he did as long as he got away. Now he'll probably go away for murder but people are dead and many hurt. He should get the death penalty, but who knows? When I heard the story it really pissed me off.  Anyone tries to hit me or my kid is going down. Eventually they have to sleep and that's when I would take care of the son of a bitch. But since my mother didn't raise no fool, I don't have any men in my life who hit woman or abuse women. This shit has to stop.

On 11/21/2021 at 7:28 PM, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

That was kind of the problem, the police decided to not enforce anything in certain parts of the city which led to anarchy. I'm not saying I'd recommend someone go down there with a gun to try and be an unofficial national guardsman, but he did, and was attacked by each person he eventually shot. Each person that got shot was legitimate self defense in relation to a 1st degree murder charge, and that's what the jury found. And as I said, he wasn't the only one there with a gun, people who were there to protest or be protest-adjacent also had guns.

Well, with so many states and people saying to defund the police, some police don't want to do their jobs now.

It sucks. too many guns in the wrong hands these days. it doesn't seem to stop. Any moron over 21 can have a gun in Texas without any training at all. Texas has had problems with guns forever and now the Gov decides to allow this shit. It's like the wild west again.

Things are way out of hand and I'm not sure if anyone can fix it. Things definitely need to change, but getting rid of police isn't the way to go. The police need to be trained to cope with different situation and if anyone seems racist don't hire them. Give them a test to see how they would handle different situations.  We all need to do better by everyone. I hope I see that day.

That trial in Georgia has to end with those guys guilty or Georgia will burn and I can't blame African Americans for being angry if it goes any other way. The law of allowing citizens arrests has been changed. These two guys saw a black guy running and thought the worse. That's on them. Allowing them to run their truck after him and using guns showed intent to hurt of even kill this guy.  That was so damn wrong on so many levels.

A good article on why Democrats are polling terribly despite everything they're passing or attempting to pass (infrastructure, BBB, competitive bill) is very popular:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/11/biden-approval-democrats-midterms-inflation-economy-build-back-better.html

In short, Americans don't feel like Democrats are addressing the issues that are affecting them today.  Which is kind of nuts since there's not much Democrats or any governing party in the Western world can do to improve product and labour shortages.

Once again the country will fall victim to its own short-sightedness.  

• Haha 1

On 11/24/2021 at 6:43 PM, downzy said:

A good article on why Democrats are polling terribly despite everything they're passing or attempting to pass (infrastructure, BBB, competitive bill) is very popular:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/11/biden-approval-democrats-midterms-inflation-economy-build-back-better.html

In short, Americans don't feel like Democrats are addressing the issues that are affecting them today.  Which is kind of nuts since there's not much Democrats or any governing party in the Western world can do to improve product and labour shortages.

Once again the country will fall victim to its own short-sightedness.  

Some voters don't want global economy. Nor they care about Black Lives Matter, immigrants, vaccines or green energy. And on the other hand, others want America to be like Norway or Sweeden. So Biden is unpopular among those kind of groups

On 11/30/2021 at 3:53 PM, downzy said:

A little context to today’s tragedy…

I’m sure this has nothing to do with gun policy in the US. 

I wish they would attempt door to door firearms confiscation in the US.

It would be like ripping a band aid off.

There would be a lot of death and chaos, but in the end, America would be restored to the liking of the founding fathers. 

30 minutes ago, downzy said:

This is just nuts…

I used to look up guns and ammo at school all the time. Aside from it likely not being school related, nothing wrong with looking up something like that.

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

You think that's normal behavior for a kid??

Your profile says you're from the UK. I don't think you understand how strong the gun culture is for about 25-30% of Americans. It wouldn't be that abnormal for someone in that demographic (even a kid) to look at different types of guns and ammo online.

Edited by Basic_GnR_Fan
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 1:44 AM, janrichmond said:

You think that's normal behavior for a kid??

It is part of their culture. Parents teach their 4 year old kid how to use a gun. It is normal in the U.S., mostly in rural areas. And it's not anything new. That has been the patron for centuries. The difference now is that for the last 20 or 30 years there's been mass shootings. And the weapons are now more sofisticated and lethal

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Padme said:

It is part of their culture. Parents teach their 4 year old kid how to use a gun. It is normal in the U.S., mostly in rural areas. And it's not anything new. That has been the patron for centuries. The difference now is that for the last 20 or 30 years there's been mass shootings. And the weapons are now more sofisticated and lethal

Yeah I suppose if it's normal for children to be into guns, it just seems alarming to me. I guess I just don't 'get' the whole gun culture

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Yeah I suppose if it's normal for children to be into guns, it just seems alarming to me. I guess I just don't 'get' the whole gun culture

I agree that is alarming and bizarre in the year 2021. But that's how it is unfortunately :shrugs:

On 12/3/2021 at 1:53 PM, Sweersa said:

I wish they would attempt door to door firearms confiscation in the US.

It would be like ripping a band aid off.

There would be a lot of death and chaos, but in the end, America would be restored to the liking of the founding fathers. 

I used to look up guns and ammo at school all the time. Aside from it likely not being school related, nothing wrong with looking up something like that.

There's a lot more to it though. 

It's been reported that the kid was drawing graphic scenes with descriptions about how he can't control his impulses.  That there was a (or several) drawings with people dying of gun shot wounds.

This information was relayed to the school administration, that then relayed it to his parents.  They still gave him access to a gun.  

2 hours ago, downzy said:

It's been reported that the kid was drawing graphic scenes with descriptions about how he can't control his impulses.  That there was a (or several) drawings with people dying of gun shot wounds.

This information was relayed to the school administration, that then relayed it to his parents.  They still gave him access to a gun.  

That is definitely cause for concern, but a child being interested in firearms in general, is completely normal.  Movies, videos, games, etc. can prompt such curiosity. 

Giving a child access to a firearm, definitely a no-no to say the least. I'm always sure to secure mine even when in my own home if there's children visiting, or even if I'm having a party in my home with a lot of people and drinking, etc. 

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

That is definitely cause for concern, but a child being interested in firearms in general, is completely normal.  Movies, videos, games, etc. can prompt such curiosity. 

Giving a child access to a firearm, definitely a no-no to say the least. I'm always sure to secure mine even when in my own home if there's children visiting, or even if I'm having a party in my home with a lot of people and drinking, etc. 

I don't have anything against teaching young adults/teenagers how to shoot in certain contexts.  Take them to a range and showing them the proper ways to handle a gun and how to shoot.  Nothing wrong with marksmanship as a skill or hobby.  

But what we see with the 15 year old in Michigan has no connection to responsible gun ownership or parenting.  There were warning signs blaring that were not taken as seriously as they should have by the school and utterly ignored by the parents.

The principal or someone in the school's administration should have immediately checked the kid's bag and locker.  While I think it would be difficult to charge anyone at the school for negligence, I think convicting the parents of negligence causing death is an open and shut case.  Manslaughter might be a high burden for the prosecution.  It's hard to argue that the parents were being negligent.  Whether their parenting was "reckless" could be difficult to approve since it's a relative concept.  

3 hours ago, downzy said:

I don't have anything against teaching young adults/teenagers how to shoot in certain contexts.  Take them to a range and showing them the proper ways to handle a gun and how to shoot.  Nothing wrong with marksmanship as a skill or hobby.  

But what we see with the 15 year old in Michigan has no connection to responsible gun ownership or parenting.  There were warning signs blaring that were not taken as seriously as they should have by the school and utterly ignored by the parents.

The principal or someone in the school's administration should have immediately checked the kid's bag and locker.  While I think it would be difficult to charge anyone at the school for negligence, I think convicting the parents of negligence causing death is an open and shut case.  Manslaughter might be a high burden for the prosecution.  It's hard to argue that the parents were being negligent.  Whether their parenting was "reckless" could be difficult to approve since it's a relative concept.  

I couldn't agree more. Sad situation, could have been prevented. 

$778 Billion for the US Military in the next fiscal year...

Just dumb.  The hollowing out of America continues.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/12/defense-spending-bill-778-billion-military-china-russia.html

"Critics of government spending on domestic programs frequently complain about “throwing money at a problem.” Yet that is exactly what Congress is doing with the defense budget. When Biden submitted his infrastructure and Build Back Better plans, a few legislators from both parties got together with the White House to pare down their size, narrowing the definition of “infrastructure,” reordering priorities, and questioning the urgency of some needs. One can argue about the final result, but Congress subjected Biden’s plan to legitimate oversight and analysis.

There has been almost no oversight or analysis of this defense budget."

• Like 2