Jump to content

The US Politics/Elections Thread 2.0


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy...  

Has anyone checked in with 31Illusions mom to make sure he’s ok?

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

That's a great response, one in which I wouldn't of been "qualified" to make given my limited knowledge of what most past presidents accomplished, other than the "Super Stars" like Lincoln, FDR, Kennedy,  Eisenhower etc accomplished. 

This part of your post caught my eye, "The pragmatic progressivism that was part of his political orientation will continue to be felt as the country moves back to the centre after 30+ years of conservative dogma ruling political discourse."

The irony behind the "Make America Great Again" movement is that "most" in that movement wanted an America similar to what it was in the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, etc.  What most in the MAGA movement seemed to forget (or not understand) is that the U.S. was much more "socialistic" during those years than it has been over the past 30 years, EVEN during the Obama years (which most seem to think was the beginning of communism in the U.S. LOL).   

The top tax rate in those years was 90% then lowered to 70%.  The idea that we were a "free (er)" country back then is comical.  The difference between now and then isn't the form of government or who's president, it's the people of the U.S., specifically far right conservatives who no longer have the "Do not ask what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" attitude.  It's quite the opposite mentality now.  They seem to have adopted the, "It's not what I do for my country, it's what they do for me and I refuse to pay taxes if my country doesn't do exactly what I want them to do ." 

How many "MAGA" supporters would agree to a 70% top tax rate if life could go back to being what it was in the 1960's?  

The big sense one gets from Obama's book (and I encourage everyone to read it; it should be taught in every high school civics class since he does an extraordinary job of explaining the power, capacity, and limits of the presidency in the modern era) is how much he views the American project that depends very much on the buy-in of everyone.  That for America to succeed there has to be an acknowledgment that individual rights must be balanced with the interests of the community at large.  He doesn't claim to have the answer or posits that his positions are correct (or always correct, since the answers and solutions will change with the times), but he does a decent job of exposing how morally bankrupt and intellectually devoid the Republican party and the modern-day incarnation of conservative has become.  Not that they need much help in that sense, but Obama is a master communicator and does a better job than most in explaining the differences between the two sides.  It would be one thing if Republicans actually believed what they preached, but outside of tax cuts for the wealthy, most of their policy positions are malleable to the path that best takes them to power.  It's how someone like Donald Trump could come along and remake the party into something almost unrecognizable to what it had been only a short time ago.  

Not to give away the ending, but I found it very interesting how Obama chose to end this book.  It's obviously a story told in two parts, since it ends in 2011 prior to his run up to his re-election.  He could have focused the last chapter solely on the decisions he and others made in taking out Osama bin Laden.  But interestingly he jumps between bin Laden and Trump, splicing stories about taking out the world's number one terrorist with Trump's efforts to elevate birtherism.  It's a not-too subtle suggestion that at nearly the same time efforts were underway to take out bin Laden, a man responsible for the deaths of thousands of Americans, the next big threat was taking shape and coming into focus that would lead to the needless deaths of hundreds of thousands through this pandemic.  Obama doesn't make this connection directly, but just by including these two different storylines in the same chapter it leaves little doubt for the reader that while the biggest supposed threat of the 2000s was winding down, the big threat of the 2010s was just taking form.  Within one week, Obama ordered the raid that killed bin Laden and also humiliated Trump at the 2011 correspondence dinner that lead to Trump not running in 2012.  

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump sounds all kinds of fucked with the launch of the Georgia investigation.  It was clear he was guilty as hell, but I didn’t realize the AG is a Democrat and will likely be gunning for Trump to burnish their own political credentials. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arnold layne said:

Well I guess I shouldn't expect another stimulus payment. 

I know America practices "Dog eat dog" theology, but this pandemic isn't over. And they campaigned on 2k stimulus checks. Kind of shitty.

What makes you think you’re not getting more cash from the federal government?  Seems highly likely, but will take another couple of weeks to get done. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2021 at 10:05 PM, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

One can be considered 'far right' by the establishment and still support the stimulus or big government in general. Far right doesn't just mean economic libertarian (and that belief seems to be going away as the boomers start to die off).

True Qanon people are more rare. But there are many that are Q adjacents that believe in some crazy Clinton conspiracies or something. Also that depends on what your definition of far right is. The beliefs of the average rural Republican may be considered far right to you. Without them, that party is done. There simply aren't enough suburban Republican moderates for them to win the Presidency or majorities in Congress or the House. Even with the rurals, that still might not be enough anymore.

What I mean is Republicans shouldn't make room for people who believe that school shootings didn't happen. Don't embrace people who believe that Anderson Cooper drinks blood and eats babies. Don't add fuel to fire coming from extremists. Don't welcome them. Don't call them "fine men" Don't tell them they are "very special"

Republicans don't need them. They need to come up with better plans to take away, as you put it, the suburban voters, the white collars and the diversity in big cities from the Democrats.

 Hey! Both parties could try to reach out the likes of QAnon and Proud Boys. But they shouldn't use them in order to get power for themselves.  Help those people to see the light. Make them productive. If they can't afford college and health insurance. Then make it affordable for them. Sure nothing changes overnight. But at some point you have to start. And it will always be a work in progress. Nothing will ever be perfect. But put in place some kind of rehab and empowerment programs for those kind of people. Yes, there will always be some weirdo who believes in all kind of craps. There will always be people who are racists. But make sure those people are a very small minority.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Padme said:

What I mean is Republicans shouldn't make room for people who believe that school shootings didn't happen. Don't embrace people who believe that Anderson Cooper drinks blood and eats babies. Don't add fuel to fire coming from extremists. Don't welcome them. Don't call them "fine men" Don't tell them they are "very special"

Republicans don't need them. They need to come up with better plans to take away, as you put it, the suburban voters, the white collars and the diversity in big cities from the Democrats.

 Hey! Both parties could try to reach out the likes of QAnon and Proud Boys. But they shouldn't use them in order to get power for themselves.  Help those people to see the light. Make them productive. If they can't afford college and health insurance. Then make it affordable for them. Sure nothing changes overnight. But at some point you have to start. And it will always be a work in progress. Nothing will ever be perfect. But put in place some kind of rehab and empowerment programs for those kind of people. Yes, there will always be some weirdo who believes in all kind of craps. There will always be people who are racists. But make sure those people are a very small minority.

What is QAnon exactly? I largely haven't been keeping track of things. If you can't be bothered explaining no worries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

What is QAnon exactly? I largely haven't been keeping track of things. If you can't be bothered explaining no worries.

Democrats are baby eating paedophiles basically. I wish I was joking by the way but that's basically it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Democrats are baby eating paedophiles basically. I wish I was joking by the way but that's basically it. 

And Trump, a man who admits to walking in on underaged girls in a state of undress, was on a mission to take them all down. 

It would be hilarious if millions of Americans didn’t believe it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Democrats are baby eating paedophiles basically. I wish I was joking by the way but that's basically it. 

I see...I'm in the somewhat awkward position of thinking some Democrats(and Republicans too) are pedos and sure probably eat babies. Whilst not wishing to appear crazy or be affiliated with 'QAnon' or any other group. :lol:

In all seriousness, when they leaked I read enough of John Podestas emails(which are confirmed to be real) to think he's probably a satanic pedo who socializes with other satanic pedos.

Am I automatically designated crazy and/or QAnon now for getting this impression from the Podesta emails(and a few other things)?

Did you view his emails? And if you did and didn't come to the same conclusion can you justify why for me so I can change my mind(I'd prefer to be wrong on this)?

I genuinely haven't been keeping track of much political stuff beyond very basic mainstream things like the election result(which I incorrectly predicted btw) but my instinct tells me that if this mysterious group 'QAnon' has been saying outlandish things like pedos and satanists only vote Democrat then they are trying to discredit and steer the conversation like a group created or inflitrated by the CIA would do.

Keep in mind while yes considering and talking openly about such things can seem crazy, the CIA literally invented the term 'conspiracy theorists' as a way to deflect and discredit after the JFK assassination.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, downzy said:

And Trump, a man who admits to walking in on underaged girls in a state of undress, was on a mission to take them all down. 

It would be hilarious if millions of Americans didn’t believe it. 

Trump 100% is one of the creeps and clearly wasn't on a mission to take anyone down except maybe Epstein, to silence him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I see...I'm in the somewhat awkward position of thinking some Democrats(and Republicans too) are pedos and sure probably eat babies. Whilst not wishing to appear crazy or be affiliated with 'QAnon' or any other group. :lol:

In all seriousness, when they leaked I read enough of John Podestas emails(which are confirmed to be real) to think he's probably a satanic pedo who socializes with other satanic pedos.

Am I automatically designated crazy and/or QAnon now for getting this impression from the Podesta emails(and a few other things)?

Did you view his emails? And if you did and didn't come to the same conclusion can you justify why for me so I can change my mind(I'd prefer to be wrong on this)?

Which Podesta emails led you to believe that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jakey Styley said:

Which Podesta emails led you to believe that?

Off the top of my head stuff like pedo codewords being littered throughout the emails, apparent glorification of ritualistic violence and creepy sexualization of kids. His brother, next to a twisted decapitated statue hanging in the stairwell of his house has a painting depicting a row of kids with their bare asses all red and sore. Stuff like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion is that Qanon is a freaking psyop from the intelligence world or Trump admin themselves. I personally think Ezra Cohen Watnick was one of the people involved (Downzy I think you got the wrong Watnick).

What better way to distract people from the fact that their government hasn't done shit for them, for decades, than to get them chasing their tail on stupid ideas about Tom Hanks and the like.

If there is a cabal of people in government who have dirty blackmail on them, Trump is one of the guys who did the dirty shit and has blackmail on him by other players (and Bill Clinton would most likely be in the same boat), Trump isn't the crusader who is out for justice, he's just a degenerate himself :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Off the top of my head stuff like pedo codewords being littered throughout the emails, apparent glorification of ritualistic violence and creepy sexualization of kids. His brother, next to a twisted decapitated statue hanging in the stairwell of his house has a painting depicting a row of kids with their bare asses all red and sore. Stuff like that.

I guess I'd have to see them. If the emails actually had this kind of stuff in it I'd think it would be huge news?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jakey Styley said:

I guess I'd have to see them. If the emails actually had this kind of stuff in it I'd think it would be huge news?

Yes view them yourself don't take my word for it. I also recommend watching the censored documentary 'Conspiracy of Silence'.

Well, it was big news but the whole pizzagate situation got highjacked and confused. There's an interview of John Podesta where he openly refers to them as his emails and their contents are apparently of zero importance what matters according to him is that the Russians leaked his emails and how wrongful that is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

Off the top of my head stuff like pedo codewords being littered throughout the emails, apparent glorification of ritualistic violence and creepy sexualization of kids. His brother, next to a twisted decapitated statue hanging in the stairwell of his house has a painting depicting a row of kids with their bare asses all red and sore. Stuff like that.

What's pedo codewords? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Apparently they use codewords, example, cheese pizza=child porn. This is an actual thing confirmed by the FBI.

Shit, then I hope no one leaks @Dazey's emails.

But seriously, surely the existence of such words alone is not enough to say someone is speaking about pedophilia. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SoulMonster said:

Shit, then I hope no one leaks @Dazey's emails.

But seriously, surely the existence of such words alone is not enough to say someone is speaking about pedophilia. 

The overt excessive use of the codewords isn't the only dodgy aspect. View his emails and see if you feel differently.

Btw the documentary I highly recommended 'Conspiracy of Silence' seems to have been removed from YouTube again so not sure where to find it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I understand why you'd say that but no it's legit.

It's just one of this things where if it was obvious that the emails really contain references to pedophilia, it would hit the mass media. Now, without having read the emails, it just sounds like an implausible interpretation considering the fact that I haven't heard about this before, that it isn't mentioned on the Wikipedia page, that it is laid out in documentaries that get taken off YT, that Podesta have never admitted that all of the leaked emails are genuine, and that it simply sounds so implausible. But I could be wrong. I should probably read the email, but there is like 20,000 pages or so :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...