The US Politics/Elections Thread 2.0

downzy

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Spirit Cooking is a satanic ritual. If you want to describe smearing feces and pig's blood on the wall to write instructions to cut fingers and suck the blood eat the pain as simply art then that's just an example of how your mind is already made up and you just want to be dismissive.

It's not a matter of already having my mind set up, it just follows from the fact that in most cases when people reference the occult, they are not actually indicating they are occultists themselves. Usually it is people talking about arts (movies, paintings, literature) or joking. Again, looking at my own email history, I am sure there would be emails that could possibly be misconstrued to mean something really sinister. It doesn't mean that is the right interpretation. 

EDIT: And there is some distance from being an occultist to being a satanist, and a much longer distance from being an occultist to being a child molester.

Edited by SoulMonster

7 Republican Senators voted to convict.

One wonders if McConnell had voted to convict if it would have brought 9 more Republican votes. Probably not, which is why he probably decided to vote to acquit.

The sad irony is that McConnell’s rationale for acquittal isn’t that Trump wasn’t guilty, but that because Trump is no longer in office he can’t be removed, and therefore the Senate does not have jurisdiction.  That’s fucking mental for two reasons:

1) He was the person who decided not to call back the Senate while Trump was still President.  He allowed Trump to run out the clock.  To now say that he can’t vote to convict because Trump is no longer President is asinine and deranged considering McConnell is almost solely responsible for allowing that to happen;

2) He’s wrong on the merits.  Previous officials have been convicted in Senate trials after they had vacated the position.  It’s a sad and wrong argument from a sad and wrong man.

Disappointing, but also historical considering:

1 hour ago, arnold layne said:

Far from it. 

They are highly intelligent sociopaths. 

You two are talking about different things.

I think he's talking about the ruralite Republican voters, who do have some dumb beliefs I have to admit.

You are most likely referring to the big financiers and actual politicians, who are sociopaths. Some of them are more intelligent than others, but there sociopathy runs deep in politics and the donor class.

I admittedly know little to nothing about US politics, but looking from the outside in, the impeachment process seems to be the equivalent of criminal court trial where 50% of the jurors are family of the accused and 50% of the jurors are family of the victim, with a 75% majority needed either way.

I can't see the point.

The system surely must allow for impartial "juror" decisions based on the evidence presented, not for decisions to be made based on the potential consequences of those decisions and / or impartial views regardless of whatever evidence is presented.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, downzy said:

Frum makes a good point: McConnell’s speech following the Senate trial is a gift for the lawyers who will be handling the inevitable civil actions against Trump...

McConnell is both really smart and utterly evil. Even when he seemingly does something really fucking stupid you have to know that he's at least attempting some form of 4D chess bullshit. He knows he has to do anything he can to get rid of Trump for the future of the GOP but can't be seen to be directly responsible for any of it. 

Edited by Dazey

4 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

I admittedly know little to nothing about US politics, but looking from the outside in, the impeachment process seems to be the equivalent of criminal court trial where 50% of the jurors are family of the accused and 50% of the jurors are family of the victim, with a 75% majority needed either way.

I can't see the point.

The system surely must allow for impartial "juror" decisions based on the evidence presented, not for decisions to be made based on the potential consequences of those decisions and / or impartial views regardless of whatever evidence is presented.

This is a brilliant analogy - it's a frankly moronic way to conduct a trial.

• Like 1

Just been reading BBC news this morning. Am I right that Mitch McConnel delayed the trial until after Trump's presidency had ended, then voted not to impeach because the presidency had ended, then said he thinks he's guilty?

What the hell is going on?!?!

Edited by ToonGuns
Spelling
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Just been reading BBC news this morning. Am I right that Mitch McConnel delayed the trial until after Trump's presidency had ended, then voted not to impeach because the presidency had ended, then said he thinks he's guilty?

What the hell is going on?!?!

Welcome to the warped logic that is the Republican Party and its leaders. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 9:36 PM, Dazey said:

McConnell is both really smart and utterly evil. Even when he seemingly does something really fucking stupid you have to know that he's at least attempting some form of 4D chess bullshit. He knows he has to do anything he can to get rid of Trump for the future of the GOP but can't be seen to be directly responsible for any of it. 

Yeah, agreed. 

I read an interview of Harry Reid's former chief of staff on NYT by Ezra Klein.

They make the point that McConnell understands how the Senate works how there are greater incentives for Senators of the opposing party to shut everything down:

"Republicans are well poised to take back majorities in both the House and Senate — all they need is a handful of seats to do so. So they have every rational, political incentive to block Biden from achieving any victories. A program that would cut child poverty massively would be a huge victory for Biden. And the ability for Biden to pass it on a bipartisan basis would be a huge victory for his campaign promise to restore bipartisanship and unity.

Republicans collectively don’t want to see President Biden standing at a signing ceremony with Mitt Romney, signing a bill that is going to massively slash child poverty. That’s not good for their political interests and their desire to take back their majority in the 2022 midterms. So you have [Marco] Rubio and [Mike] Lee and all these others who supposedly care about this issue coming out and shooting it down right away."

The only solution to this problem is to end the filibuster.  It encourages partisan opposition; it does not promote bi-partisanship.  It's probably the thing that McConnell understand and appreciated more than anyone.  It needs to be abolished to allow for government action to solve problems.  Otherwise cynicism in government will only grow and there will be more Donald Trumps. 

5 hours ago, daile1bm said:

If I'm not mistaken, the House didn't deliver the articles of impeachment to the Senate until after the new congress started, with Democrat control. I doubt McConnel would've rushed it through if it was up to him still, though.

The House didn't send the articles over right away because McConnell had already told them he wouldn't open the Senate until January 19th.  Technically the Senate is required to take up the article(s) after they have been received.  This would have resulted in an impeachment hearing on the same day as Biden's inaugural.  You can understand why Democrats saw no use in sending the one article of impeachment to the Senate if McConnell and Republicans were just going to sit on it until the inaugural.  

36 minutes ago, downzy said:

Hopefully this changes, but probably not.

Another example of the moral rot and utter bankruptcy that is the Republican Party:

This is a reality check for the people who think Republicans can just go on to McConnell-Ryan type conservatism and expect to be competitive. Trump is still the single most popular person in that party by far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downzy said:

This is Trump’s fuck you to McConnell for all the legal bills and financial settlements that are heading Trump’s way thanks, in part, of McConnell’s speech placing the blame on Trump for the riot  

My God, if he really wants to burn down the Republican party, give this man a Nobel prize.