The US Politics/Elections Thread 2.0

downzy

15 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

This is a reality check for the people who think Republicans can just go on to McConnell-Ryan type conservatism and expect to be competitive. Trump is still the single most popular person in that party by far.

Republicans need to go back to McCain conservatism. Or the George W Bush compassionate conservatism message. Far from ideal but they can get a lot of swing voters. Trump has shown Republicans can't win without that group despite his popularity among the likes of Proud Boys and QAnon. They just lost the WH and the Senate

McConnell made a fool of himself, bending over backwards for Trump. Republicans need group theraphy or their own version of Fight Club :lol: 

9 hours ago, Padme said:

Republicans need to go back to McCain conservatism. Or the George W Bush compassionate conservatism message. Far from ideal but they can get a lot of swing voters. Trump has shown Republicans can't win without that group despite his popularity among the likes of Proud Boys and QAnon. They just lost the WH and the Senate

McConnell made a fool of himself, bending over backwards for Trump. Republicans need group theraphy or their own version of Fight Club :lol: 

No offense, but why would any Republican listen to you or people of your persuasion? Do you really have the best intentions for their party at heart? C'mon now.

Rush was both an innovator and a horrible human being.

He made life in America worse. Ironic that cancer killed him since his presence in American society was nothing short of cancerous.

I never revel in the death of another human being, but I think it’s important to acknowledge that what he chose to do with his life was make political discourse significantly worse. 

1 hour ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

No offense, but why would any Republican listen to you or people of your persuasion? Do you really have the best intentions for their party at heart? C'mon now.

Listen to me? No. I'm nobody. Republicans/People should listen to Cindy McCain, Liz Cheney, George W. Bush, Jeff Fleck, Ben Sasse, etc. They have save their party from itself.

34 minutes ago, Padme said:

Listen to me? No. I'm nobody. Republicans/People should listen to Cindy McCain, Liz Cheney, George W. Bush, Jeff Fleck, Ben Sasse, etc. They have save their party from itself.

A good chunk, and probably a majority of actual Republican voters like Trump and Trumpism more than those people you just mentioned. How many polls do you need to see to understand this? That's why the Republican party is in a bind, it's big donors want Liz Cheney like politicians, but many of the voters want people like Trump. That's the reality.

• Like 1

I have been defensive of Cuomo to some degree in his handling of the virus but as more and more comes out about how they undercounted deaths for political considerations, the more I believe he needs to stop down.  His administration's decision to undercount and report false informations likely had life and death consequences.  It is not something he can blame on Trump, which he somewhat reasonably did regarding the nursing home policy. 

Inexcusable:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/02/17/cuomo-hid-covid-19-data-it-was-worse-than-just-coverup/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0m-wxqnqM3Qu3cBHrKqVb28PZhEWP_y2LI78CMavZWoPj9O9CS1LPRTus

52 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

A good chunk, and probably a majority of actual Republican voters like Trump and Trumpism more than those people you just mentioned. How many polls do you need to see to understand this? That's why the Republican party is in a bind, it's big donors want Liz Cheney like politicians, but many of the voters want people like Trump. That's the reality.

The reality is that Trump lost the election despite his huge popularity among the likes of QAnon, gun owners, white supremacists and some  so called normal republicans who would vote for anyone in the Republicans ticket. And Republicans also lost the Senate. Only if Biden and Democrats fuck this up big time, then voters would give Trump a second chance. Assuming Trump is not in jail. He is still facing legal issues. I'm not so sure that the likes of Ted Cruz can be a Trump reincarnation just that easy.

11 minutes ago, Padme said:

The reality is that Trump lost the election despite his huge popularity among the likes of QAnon, gun owners, white supremacists and some  so called normal republicans who would vote for anyone in the Republicans ticket. And Republicans also lost the Senate. Only if Biden and Democrats fuck this up big time, then voters would give Trump a second chance. Assuming Trump is not in jail. He is still facing legal issues. I'm not so sure that the likes of Ted Cruz can be a Trump reincarnation just that easy.

I don't know what you're arguing at this point. The majority of Republican voters prefer Trump over the people you mentioned. If you have evidence that shows otherwise I'd be interested in seeing it. I think you're falling into the realm of an is-ought fallacy.

2 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

I don't know what you're arguing at this point. The majority of Republican voters prefer Trump over the people you mentioned. If you have evidence that shows otherwise I'd be interested in seeing it. I think you're falling into the realm of an is-ought fallacy.

My point is that Trump can run again in 2024. But there is no gurantee that he is going to win. So maybe it is time for Republicans to move on. And be something similar to what they used to be before Trump. On top of that we don't know if Trump can run again in 2024 because he is still facing legal issues. Now in 2022 we had the midtern election. Are Republicans going to stick with Trump? Again there is no gurantee that Trump can win  a seat for some candidate in Pennsylvania or elsewhere. Trump campaigned in Georgia. The Senate candidates he endorsed didn't win. I think it's time for Republicans to be more pragmatic. But at the end they can do whatever they want

48 minutes ago, Padme said:

My point is that Trump can run again in 2024. But there is no gurantee that he is going to win. So maybe it is time for Republicans to move on. And be something similar to what they used to be before Trump. On top of that we don't know if Trump can run again in 2024 because he is still facing legal issues. Now in 2022 we had the midtern election. Are Republicans going to stick with Trump? Again there is no gurantee that Trump can win  a seat for some candidate in Pennsylvania or elsewhere. Trump campaigned in Georgia. The Senate candidates he endorsed didn't win. I think it's time for Republicans to be more pragmatic. But at the end they can do whatever they want

I don't think any Republican is going to win the Presidency in 2024. However, if Trump actually runs in the primary, it's going to be very difficult for another Republican to beat him out in those primaries. Funny enough, I think the only way someone does is if they out-Trump Trump and just do his 2016 talking points with bravado.

34 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

I don't think any Republican is going to win the Presidency in 2024. However, if Trump actually runs in the primary, it's going to be very difficult for another Republican to beat him out in those primaries. Funny enough, I think the only way someone does is if they out-Trump Trump and just do his 2016 talking points with bravado.

Yeah, I agree.

The only way Republicans have a shot at winning the White House in 2024 is if Trump is unable due to health/financial/legal problems. That, or he dies before 2024, and someone else can pick up his schtick.

If Democrats push through Biden’s covid package and he remains relatively healthy through 2024 I see him winning again without much issue.

The only question is his health and what happens if it’s Harris that takes Biden’s spot at the top of the ticket. 

A good description of what the GOP has become.  I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what the GOP is actually for. They don’t really seem to stand for anything these days other than a callous response to everything they don’t like.  Just a party of grievances that allows operators to literally do nothing. It’s as if an alt-right version of George Costanza decided to run a political party...

1 hour ago, downzy said:

A good description of what the GOP has become.  I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what the GOP is actually for. They don’t really seem to stand for anything these days other than a callous response to everything they don’t like.  Just a party of grievances that allows operators to literally do nothing. It’s as if an alt-right version of George Costanza decided to run a political party...

Neoliberal economics and an insane foreign policy?

13 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Neoliberal economics and an insane foreign policy?

Maybe pre-Trump.  But since the party went along with his sanction China but bail-out the farmers, I’m not sure the neoliberal tag works to describe their economic principles anymore.

With foreign policy it’s also a mix bag. Trump didn’t get America into major skirmishes, but really only because Iran never took the bait. 

Cruz certainly set himself up on this one...

Puts out an official statement blaming his daughters, with the suggestion that he was only going for the night (despite being spotted carrying a massive suitcase at the airport).

Then his wife’s text messages get leaked:

https://www.rawstory.com/ted-cruz-cancun-2650616534/

Sound on:

😂😂😂

7 hours ago, downzy said:

Maybe pre-Trump.  But since the party went along with his sanction China but bail-out the farmers, I’m not sure the neoliberal tag works to describe their economic principles anymore.

With foreign policy it’s also a mix bag. Trump didn’t get America into major skirmishes, but really only because Iran never took the bait. 

They'll go right back to pure neoliberalism like Trump never happened. Oh they might send some 'tough' tweets about China, but it'll be business as usual.

Yeah, what Trump did with Iran was insane. Assassinating one of their national heroes in General Soleimani. Luckily the Iranian regime has restraint and didn't strike back a target that would have led to an escalation.

18 hours ago, downzy said:

Cruz certainly set himself up on this one...

Puts out an official statement blaming his daughters, with the suggestion that he was only going for the night (despite being spotted carrying a massive suitcase at the airport).

Then his wife’s text messages get leaked:

https://www.rawstory.com/ted-cruz-cancun-2650616534/

Sound on:

😂😂😂

Great timing.......