The US Politics/Elections Thread 2.0

downzy

31 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

That's something Joe Biden said. Wtf are you on about, Evan?

You reminded me of those right-wing nutters on here who got their panties in a twist over a compilation clip of Biden touching people, that was posted some time ago.

14 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Biden sucking up to China and dismissing the ongoing Uighur genocide. What a cowardly piece of shit President Joe "I like kids bouncing on my lap stroking my hairy legs" Biden is. America, land of the farce.

Most people have serious doubts there's an actual genocide those people occurring. Civil liberties violations up the wazoo, yes, but not a genocide.

And where have you been? The American elite decided to outsource production and cozy up to China decades ago, this isn't a Biden thing, it's an American elite thing. And Trump, for all his bluster, the trade deficit with China increased under his term!

Edited by Basic_GnR_Fan

I'll just say this. Why would anyone expect the US to put it's blood and treasure on the line on the account of the Uighur's, when the US's own allies in Israel and Saudi Arabia inflict human rights and war crimes abuses quite blatantly without much reproach? This goes way beyond whoever the current Republican or Democrat that is President.

13 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Ah. Well, I'm not right-wing at all I voted for Jacinda and the Greens. I just don't like things like abusers, creeps and downplaying genocide so I guess that makes me crazy in the mind of ole'blackface Evan. 

Take it easy. Maybe go down to the park and join your little buddy in trying to 'people watch' lol. In all seriousness if you're going to cunt about with him involving yourself blindly taking his side to the point of taking lame little potshots at me then you can fuck right off.

Huh? Who are you talking about? 

That comment merely reminded me of those posters who were trolling around with that Biden clip some time ago. That's all. I don't get why you get so easily offended on here lately.

Oh well.

5 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

I'll just say this. Why would anyone expect the US to put it's blood and treasure on the line on the account of the Uighur's, when the US's own allies in Israel and Saudi Arabia inflict human rights and war crimes abuses quite blatantly without much reproach? This goes way beyond whoever the current Republican or Democrat that is President.

Do the U.S. and Israel put ethnic/religious minorities in modern day concentration camps.  (By the millions)?

Edited by Ace Nova

1 hour ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

In a way, yes. One could argue the Gaza strip is one big concentration camp. 

If anyone that lives in the Gaza strip would trade 1 week to live in a German concentration camp during the WWII era, for a million dollars, they should have their heads examined.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

If anyone that lives in the Gaza strip would trade 1 week to live in a German concentration camp during the WWII era, for a million dollars, they should have their heads examined.  

What does this prove? They probably also wouldn't want to live in a Soviet Gulag either. So what.

I could say the same statement with the Uighur's, they probably wouldn't want to be in a WWII era concentration camp or Gulag either. 

We actually don't know much about the Uighur facilities. They might be living better than the Gazan's. Maybe they wouldn't want to trade places with the Gazan's?

Edited by Basic_GnR_Fan

2 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Illegally bombing countries already huh?

Does anyone ever realize we're never allowed to vote on things like foreign policy? Democrat or Republican in power, we have the same alliances and relative same policy of aggression against the same countries. There are some differences here and there, but we're never allowed to vote for big changes to the foreign policy status quo.

7 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Does anyone ever realize we're never allowed to vote on things like foreign policy? Democrat or Republican in power, we have the same alliances and relative same policy of aggression against the same countries. There are some differences here and there, but we're never allowed to vote for big changes to the foreign policy status quo.

Not exactly true...

Obama was slammed for demanding a vote in Congress on American involvement in Syria when it was discovered that Syria breached its pledge with chemical weapons.  Congress failed to support military action and so Obama stood the military down despite issuing a redline on the issue. 

I realize I’m in the minority here but I don’t have an issue with Biden’s authorization on the most recent strikes in Syria.  Assuming the reports are accurate, the strikes were extremely limited to two militant camps that have been responsible for targeting several American positions inside Iraqi-Kurd territory (territory that is welcoming of an American military presence). I think it’s unreasonable to expect American forces to just sit there and accept being routinely bombed from an entity that hides behind a border.  You could say the Americans shouldn’t be there in the first place, but that’s besides the point. You can’t expect American military positions just to fold up anytime an enemy fires at them within territory that has requested an American presence and is owed American protection for doing the grunt work in regards to ridding the region of ISIS. 

The man was never north of 50 percent in public approval polls.

He lost every heads up poll against Biden for ten months before the election...

And yet somehow he was cheated out of a second term.

To repeat: you have to be an asshole or an idiot (or both) to believe Trump rightfully won the 2020 election. 

40 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

If one civilian died in these strikes, that makes it a crime in my eyes

The “official” military report indicates one person died. Unofficial reports put the death toll at 22.  The targets were facilities used to store and supply targeted attacks against Americans in the region, but particularly in Iraq.

But let’s say one or several civilians died as a result. We would agree that this is terrible and should have been avoided. But what if it couldn’t?  What if the only way to stop more attacks that kill many more civilians is to take out the operations of those committing the attacks that has the unfortunate reality of collateral damage of civilians on site?  It would really come down to proportionality and justification at that point. Taking out a target that results in the death of a few civilians to save the lives of many more civilians could be considered justified, no?

33 minutes ago, downzy said:

The “official” military report indicates one person died. Unofficial reports put the death toll at 22.  The targets were facilities used to store and supply targeted attacks against Americans in the region, but particularly in Iraq.

But let’s say one or several civilians died as a result. We would agree that this is terrible and should have been avoided. But what if it couldn’t?  What if the only way to stop more attacks that kill many more civilians is to take out the operations of those committing the attacks that has the unfortunate reality of collateral damage of civilians on site?  It would really come down to proportionality and justification at that point. Taking out a target that results in the death of a few civilians to save the lives of many more civilians could be considered justified, no?

These were in response to American contractors being attacked right? I'm not well versed on what transpired the past few weeks, but have these groups been targeting civilians or Americans in the region? No one should die, the world is sick of these forever-wars, but if civilians are dying due to our airstrikes right now, it's fucked up 

These pepe have been through enough and just want to live. The USA has helped royally destabilize the entire region over the past several decades, and it sucks to see our continual involvement.

I am all for helping those in need, but that is not why we are there from what I can tell. We sat by and watched horrors happen in Cambodia, Sudan, North Korea, Ethiopia, etc and did fuck all, but went all in with the Middle East because we have interests there. It sucks that it is 2021 and the people there are still getting manipulated and used by Americans, Russians, and their own regimes

2 hours ago, downzy said:

Not exactly true...

Obama was slammed for demanding a vote in Congress on American involvement in Syria when it was discovered that Syria breached its pledge with chemical weapons.  Congress failed to support military action and so Obama stood the military down despite issuing a redline on the issue. 

I realize I’m in the minority here but I don’t have an issue with Biden’s authorization on the most recent strikes in Syria.  Assuming the reports are accurate, the strikes were extremely limited to two militant camps that have been responsible for targeting several American positions inside Iraqi-Kurd territory (territory that is welcoming of an American military presence). I think it’s unreasonable to expect American forces to just sit there and accept being routinely bombed from an entity that hides behind a border.  You could say the Americans shouldn’t be there in the first place, but that’s besides the point. You can’t expect American military positions just to fold up anytime an enemy fires at them within territory that has requested an American presence and is owed American protection for doing the grunt work in regards to ridding the region of ISIS. 

I think you're making my case though on the Obama example. Obama not going in guns blazing wasn't a major shift in the foreign policy status quo. The Assad regime was still considered an enemy by the Obama admin. And it's not like Trump did a full invasion there either. Their Syria policies were actually quite similar. My point is, we only get candidates who offer immaterial differences in foreign policy. Could you imagine us being allowed to vote in an administration that thought we should be allied to Iran instead of Saudi Arabia and Israel? It would be inconceivable, the media would destroy that person or people.

You can agree with the policy, that's your opinion, but my point is that the policy we have is pretty much the only one the media and big money donors will allow.

13 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

These were in response to American contractors being attacked right? I'm not well versed on what transpired the past few weeks, but have these groups been targeting civilians or Americans in the region? No one should die, the world is sick of these forever-wars, but if civilians are dying due to our airstrikes right now, it's fucked up 

These pepe have been through enough and just want to live. The USA has helped royally destabilize the entire region over the past several decades, and it sucks to see our continual involvement.

I am all for helping those in need, but that is not why we are there from what I can tell. We sat by and watched horrors happen in Cambodia, Sudan, North Korea, Ethiopia, etc and did fuck all, but went all in with the Middle East because we have interests there. It sucks that it is 2021 and the people there are still getting manipulated and used by Americans, Russians, and their own regimes

US foreign policy isn't based on any moral principle, it's based on the maintenance of an empire (and it is an empire) and whatever the big money donors who own both parties want. More people need to see it through realistic eyes and not the phony moral pretense we're given. And by the way, it's always been this way, this isn't a recent phenomenon.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

US foreign policy isn't based on any moral principle, it's based on the maintenance of an empire (and it is an empire) and whatever the big money donors who own both parties want. More people need to see it through realistic eyes and not the phony moral pretense we're given. And by the way, it's always been this way, this isn't a recent phenomenon.

Unfortunately you are completely correct

4 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

It seems to me to be just as much based on paranoia as it is protecting an empire. Paranoia of losing control. Which is inevitable for all empires.