The US Politics/Elections Thread 2.0

downzy

33 minutes ago, Padme said:

Well... I don't rule out the possibility that COVID could be a bioweapon. I mean I don't have evidence but I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case. But God has nothing to do with. And that guy saying that COVID  was the first disease ever?!?! He needs to enrol in a history class or something. There's been deadly pandemics before. We had Spanish Flu or the Black Death

I think "that guy" was being sarcastic as a response to Greene's nonsense.

• Like 1

Remember when the common refrain from gun nuts regarding gun regulations was the call to enforce the laws on the books?

Apparently following federal laws is no longer a good thing in Republican controlled states:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/18/us/17missouri-guns-federal-enforcement.html?referringSource=articleShare

For me, what’s significant isn’t the idea to ship returning Americans to Guantanamo Bay (as fucked up as that sounds).

What I think is more interesting in this behind the scenes reveal (along with many others) is how Trump is so concerned and almost convinced that the pandemic will hurt his re-election chances; if not making re-election impossible.

It amazes me how so many of his supporters can’t or won’t acknowledge that regardless of how Trump handled America’s response to the pandemic that his re-election was always going to be an uphill battle; that fraud better explains his loss better than shitting the bed on managing the pandemic. Even Trump acknowledges this fact in private. But his bumbling fanbase continues to hold on to another reality. 

New Mammoth poll shows that the belief Biden won the Presidency amongst Republicans has not declined much at all.

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_us_062121/

When we combine self-identified Republican voters and "independents" who vote with the GOP, the improved acceptance of reality largely disappears. Consider the trajectory:

In November, 66% of Republicans and Republican-leaners said Biden did not win fair and square.
In January, the number was 69%.
In March, it was 64%.
In June, it was 63%.

@Ace Nova - it's not getting better as you predicted.  Granted, Biden has only been President for five to six months, but I don't see this problem going away.  

On 6/15/2021 at 6:55 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I wish we could see Biden's meeting with Putin and see how Putin will lie with a smile on his face.

Biden better put on his big boy pants and put Putin on notice. Too much shit Russia is getting away with. Not to mention China.

If they ever hack our defense systems, we're fucked for sure. Bet they are working on that. First our gas grid and then our meat planets. what's next?

I can't believe I'd ever see America in a position of being fucked over many time.  Years ago we were a country to be  feared by our enemies, but since Trump kissing Putin's ass, no one thinks we are the power we were. Sad.

You are calling Putin a liar? 

Yeah, I totally forgot that it was Putin's country that played World Police since the end of WW2 🙄<_<

Edited by Sosso

I'm glad US soldiers are getting out of Afganastan bit the Taliban is still fucking with the people and I feel sorry for them. Nothing will get better for them once the US leaves. Some are trying to leave the country. Good luck. Where will they go? The whole region sucks. these people will have a life of suffering and no peace at all.

4 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

The Catholic Church have been shielding pedophiles for generation yet deny Biden communion. Pope Francis is against this move but American bishops don't care what he thinks. I am sure they love fellow pedophile Donald Trump.

It’s funny (well, not really) how they have no issues giving communion to Catholic politicians who support the death penalty. 

If there was ever an organization that truly needed to be cancelled, it’s the Catholic Church. 

On 6/22/2021 at 12:53 PM, Padme said:

Europe 

During Summer there is always a great deal of immigrants arriving in Italy, Spain or Greece.

That does seem to be western foreign policy. Invade and/or destabilize poor countries, and let the refugees flood into Europe.

On 6/22/2021 at 11:56 AM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I'm glad US soldiers are getting out of Afganastan bit the Taliban is still fucking with the people and I feel sorry for them. Nothing will get better for them once the US leaves. Some are trying to leave the country. Good luck. Where will they go? The whole region sucks. these people will have a life of suffering and no peace at all.

Apparently the Taliban have more of the will of the people than anyone else. Even with 20 years of American troops in the country, they couldn't come up with a rival power with enough clout to challenge the Taliban. Sad!

Wait for the reaction of the Congressman who fucks kids:

This is the problem with how the right has decided it can’t win on policy issues that would have actual meaningful and tangible benefits and impact on the lives of most Americans.  Republicans can’t talk about how they plan on addressing any of the larger issues with any kind of serious policy debate. It’s an intellectually bankrupt party. And so its only path to resonance and power is through ginned up cultural issues. Nobody gave a fuck about CRT until a year or so ago when one guy went on Fox News and argued it was a serious problem. Trump saw that segment and tweeted out his condemnation shortly after. And now it’s the only thing the GOP wants to talk about because it can’t talk about anything else. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, downzy said:

Wait for the reaction of the Congressman who fucks kids:

This is the problem with how the right has decided it can’t win on policy issues that would have actual meaningful and tangible benefits and impact on the lives of most Americans.  Republicans can’t talk about how they plan on addressing any of the larger issues with any kind of serious policy debate. It’s an intellectually bankrupt party. And so its only path to resonance and power is through ginned up cultural issues. Nobody gave a fuck about CRT until a year or so ago when one guy went on Fox News and argued it was a serious problem. Trump saw that segment and tweeted out his condemnation shortly after. And now it’s the only thing the GOP wants to talk about because it can’t talk about anything else. 

There's a lot of people on the right who want to ban critical race theory solely for the reason it has the word race in it. Some of these folks have no idea what the theory (or theories really, because it's not just one thing) being taught are and probably haven't even gone as far as to read the wikipedia entry for it.

I have no problem with rhetorically fighting CRT, there's some parts of it I would fight too. But even though I'm halfway on the right, I actually agree with some of the tenets of critical race theory, and find their worldview more satiating than the standard liberal view.

Edit: TBH, I've done the thought experiment in my head. If I lived in a country started by black slaveholders of whites. I would probably be more extreme than most of these CRT people. I might even be a full-on Nation of Islam guy!

Edited by Basic_GnR_Fan

12 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

There's a lot of people on the right who want to ban critical race theory solely for the reason it has the word race in it.

Agreed.  It's the same reason why there were many back during the cold war that wanted to ban marxist teachings and critiques during the cold war simply because it was marxist.  Nevermind that some of what a Marxist reading or critique of American history has elements of truth and helps provide a fuller explanation as to why some aspects of American society came to be. 

12 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

I have no problem with rhetorically fighting CRT, there's some parts of it I would fight too. But even though I'm halfway on the right, I actually agree with some of the tenets of critical race theory, and find their worldview more satiating than the standard liberal view.

Absolutely.  I'm not blind to the omissions and issues of CRT.  As I stated before, it's a theory.  And like all theories, it explains everything through one lens, which is not the best or most constructive means to fully understand or see American history or society.  But it certainly has important contributions to that explanation.  Particularly, I find its critique around the welfare state satisfying and contributes to explaining why a significant portion of Americans turned against the welfare system in the 1960s and 1970s as more African Americans achieved their political rights and freedoms and now sought economic relief similar to their white counterparts.  I think that aspect of CRT is undeniable and to ban CRT is to ignore and bury an important aspect of American history that helps explain many of the main drivers of current political discourse.  

7 minutes ago, Padme said:

Somehow there is some kind of agreement on infrastructure

https://us.cnn.com/2021/06/24/politics/biden-infrastructure-meeting-senators/index.html

And somehow it's a quarter of what Biden was originally asking.  

Another example of where bi-partisanship trumps better policy.

It's apparent that only Democrats only give a fuck about something being bipartisan (save for Obamacare).  

Rudy loses his law license:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7ezd3/rudy-giulianis-2020-election-lies-just-cost-him-his-law-license?utm_source=vicenewsfacebook&fbclid=IwAR2HZ6xCl7v-kEbDbK6ewxIyvn26xK17ACzwFBQbRGc-cQXoiD4bNWaaZ_4

I have to guess this is the least of his concerns and not the last thing he'll lose as a result of tying his fortune around Don Jon.  

18 hours ago, downzy said:

It’s funny (well, not really) how they have no issues giving communion to Catholic politicians who support the death penalty. 

If there was ever an organization that truly needed to be cancelled, it’s the Catholic Church. 

And the Latter Day Saints

You'll tell yourself you'll only read the first paragraph of this article:

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2021/06/28/inside-gun-surrendering-criminal-mark-mccloskeys-very-sad-st-louis-rally?fbclid=IwAR0uLryoalPWKwo-G7OjTrgALbLQPCMreznR7dcmC-LUzpPgr8BXNPpf7KE

And then you'll find yourself reading the rest.

Easily one of the funnier articles on "local" politics I've read in awhile.