The US Politics/Elections Thread 2.0

downzy

Biden will talk later today on his 6 point idea for covid.

I watched the View today and Whoopie said Biden should come out and say "wear a damn mask and get vaccinated" and then go back into the White House. I think Whoopie should run for President. The woman has amazing common sense and sees things clearly. 

And Howard Stern made a statement too about people who aren't vaccinated and making his life suck because he can't go outside to a friend's house because the virus is still out there. Howard is a clean freak to the 10th power, but I agree with him.

If unvaccinated people don't care about themselves getting covid and dying, then they should at least care about others.

Unless we stop being so damn selfish we will continue to live with covid just like with live with the flu.

16 hours ago, downzy said:

The gov of Florida is a bigger moron that Abbott of Texas.  Who voted for these stupid bastards? Obviously he doesn't care how many of his citizens die on his watch.

21 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Iran would wreck any Israeli aggression against them and they know it. Israel has the nuclear option, but anything below that would not go well for Israel (it would be like their 2006 war with Lebanon on steroids). Iran has fighters willing to die for their people, I'm not so sure the Jews in Israel can handle the kinds of casualties that a war with Iran would entail. I can imagine a lot of Jewish mothers freaking out over that and causing a societal wide panic.

I doubt it. Israel would just send their missiles over there and blow them away. They've done it before and they will again. And also Saudi Arabia is looking for an excuse to take Iran out. When it comes down to it, they all want the power, so eventually these Muslims counties will take themselves out in time. Just sit back and watach.

Just now, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I doubt it. Israel would just send their missiles over there and blow them away. They've done it before and they will again. And also Saudi Arabia is looking for an excuse to take Iran out. When it comes down to it, they all want the power, so eventually these Muslims counties will take themselves out in time. Just sit back and watach.

Don't forget if Israel gets in trouble the US and it's allies will back them up. this time we might actually stop the crazy radicals.

1 hour ago, downzy said:

Looks like Newsom will keep his job for at least one more year:

To think that Newsom has dinner at French Laundry and it cost the state of California $276 million. 

The real problem is that it is way too easy to launch a recall California. All that is needed is signatures. I wouldn't be surprised if next week they launch another recall :rolleyes: We're dealing with moronic trumpists.  Maybe in other States they have a similar policy. That I don't know. I think that impeachment or something similiar would make more sense. But it would requiere an ammendment to the California constitution.

Biden is also a winner. He needed to win more than Newsom :lol:

12 hours ago, downzy said:

Looks like Newsom will keep his job for at least one more year:

To think that Newsom has dinner at French Laundry and it cost the state of California $276 million. 

Newsome's popularity is about 10% lower than the percentage of votes for "No." So either the people who don't like him are less likely to vote, or people who don't like him still prefer him to the alternative. An awful look for the people who backed the recall.

18 minutes ago, axlslash said:

Newsome's popularity is about 10% lower than the percentage of votes for "No." So either the people who don't like him are less likely to vote, or people who don't like him still prefer him to the alternative. An awful look for the people who backed the recall.

It was all predicated on the hope that 50 percent of those who voted chose to recall.  If Republicans had put forward a viable alternative (not a disgraced radio jockey who plays nice with the anti-vax crowd) then maybe. But once it became clear that Elder was the likely replacement, the recall effort was doomed. The best thing for Newsom was the elevation of Elder. 

• Like 1

The really bad thing about that drone strike is, it was an obvious political move since the world was looking at Biden with a collective WTF look. It was so fast and easy and convenient, it was nothing more than a pr stunt after the suicide bombers killed all those people. So basically those kids and innocent people died to make Biden look better at the time. But hey I think the first drone took out a "planner", so there's that. Terrible.

And now there's apparently thousands of illegal immigrants living under a bridge in Texas. FFS. Even Biden's own DHS guy was like, yeah it's a bit of mess (that they caused btw). And our "border czar"  VP won't go, talk about, or address the situation. She's probably busy though. She had a football game to go to over the weekend and she has to go on the Whoopi Goldberg show. She'll get around to it I'm sure. On second thought, what did she say in between lol's back at the beginning of summer?

Have you been to the border?

Lol, we've been to the border!

Yes, but have YOU been to the border.

Lol, no. But I haven't been to Europe either lol, I don't get the point.

What a freaking joke.

• Like 2

The dynamics that led to the drone strike need to be investigated. Did Biden demand blood for PR reasons? Were there military leaders who were overly eager to impress the Commander in Chief and didn’t perform as much due diligence as usual? Was it just a plain fuckup? It’s hard to imagine a decision that bad not involving a bit of politics.

• Like 1

Oh ......

Draft report of GOP-backed ballot review in Arizona confirms Biden’s win

A Republican-commissioned review of nearly 2.1 million ballots cast last year in Arizona confirmed the accuracy of the official results and President Biden’s win in Maricopa County, according to a draft report prepared by private contractors who conducted the recount.

The draft was obtained by The Washington Post late Thursday night in advance of a planned public release of a final version on Friday.

The ultimate findings will cap a costly and drawn-out recount launched by the GOP-led Arizona Senate that had been championed by former president Donald Trump and kept alive false claims that fraud tainted the election in the state’s most populous county. The process was pilloried by election experts who warned that the methods used by the firm hired to run the review were sloppy and biased.

After nearly six months and almost $6 million — most of it given by groups that cast doubt on the election results — the draft report shows that the review concluded that 45,469 more ballots were cast for Biden in Maricopa County than for Trump, widening Biden’s margin by 360 more votes than certified results.

The draft report found the count to have “no substantial differences” from the county’s certified tallies.

If included in the final report, that finding would puncture unsubstantiated claims made by Trump and his allies that vote tabulating machines had miscounted paper ballots or been hacked to flip thousands of Trump votes to Biden.

The draft report sought to undercut that conclusion by suggesting that some ballots could have been improperly accepted and counted by the county. But the document includes key notes of caution, saying only that further investigation is warranted.

The report could still go through additional revisions before its public release, scheduled for Friday afternoon. The draft was provided to The Post by the Arizona secretary of state’s office, which had obtained a copy.

Randy Pullen, a spokesman for the ballot review, told an NPR affiliate in Phoenix that the draft version was “close” to the final report. He added, “Was there massive fraud or anything? It doesn’t look like it.”

Later, in a text message to The Post, he cautioned there will be “updates in the final report.”

Biden’s win in Maricopa County, home to Phoenix, helped him earn a narrow victory in Arizona and become the first Democrat to win the state since 1996. The state’s results were upheld by state and federal courts.

The state Senate’s ballot review began in April over the objections of the Republican-led county leadership. Lawmakers used a subpoena to obtain Maricopa County’s ballots and tabulating machines, which were handed over to private contractors for review.

State Senate President Karen Fann (R), who has led the effort, has said publicly that the goal is not to revisit Biden’s win but instead to look for ways to improve the state’s election laws.

But Trump has repeatedly said he believes the investigation will vindicate his allegations about the election and show he was in fact the victor.

On Thursday night, apparently unaware of the findings of the draft report, the former president said in a statement, “Everybody will be watching Arizona tomorrow to see what the highly respected auditors and Arizona State Senate found out regarding the so-called Election!”

The Florida-based firm that led the review, Cyber Ninjas, had never before been involved in administering an election or recount, and its chief executive, Doug Logan, publicly embraced Trump’s false claims of fraud before getting the job.

After his firm was selected to conduct the review, Logan did not deny his potential bias but said that it is “the most skeptical person” who makes the best auditor, “not the person who thinks it is impossible to find anything.”

Election experts criticized the process as opaque, insecure and frequently changing, and said the recount followed few best practices established over decades for conducting unbiased and accurate election audits.

In May, all of Maricopa’s seven elected officials — including five Republicans — joined to demand the Senate put an end to the review, calling it a “con” and a “sham.”

“Our democracy is imperiled,” they wrote in a letter to Fann.

The Justice Department also warned in the spring that the recount risked violating federal law, which requires that ballots be securely maintained for 22 months following a federal election.

After the leak of the draft report late Thursday, Maricopa County Board of Supervisors Chairman Jack Sellers (R) said in a statement that the findings mean “the tabulation equipment counted the ballots as they were designed to do, and the results reflect the will of the voters. That should be the end of the story. Everything else is just noise.”

He added: “Board members told the truth in the face of angry phone calls and emails fueled by a coordinated campaign to shake Americans’ faith in the power of their vote. Will they accept the truth now?”

A spokesman for Fann did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Trump allies tried to play down the conclusion in the draft report. GOP state Sen. Wendy Rogers wrote in a post on Twitter that she had just spoken to Logan by phone, who told her that the early version of the report that leaked was “simply a draft and is only a partial report.”

“Tomorrow’s hearing will render findings of great consequence,” wrote Rogers, who has been calling for Biden’s win to be decertified. “Then he said ‘God is in control’. Please pray for our audit team tomorrow as they present their findings.”

Election experts said the Arizona experience should serve as a warning sign to other Republican legislators who have in recent weeks responded to pressure from Trump and agreed to embark on their own reviews of the 2020 election, including in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Texas.

“Every time Trump and his supporters have been given a forum to make their case, they have swung and missed,” said Ben Ginsberg, a Republican election lawyer who has been critical of Trump’s false claims of fraud. He spoke to reporters in a call organized by the Center for Election Innovation & Research Thursday before the draft leaked.

“If Trump and his supporters can’t prove it here — with the process they’ve designed — then they can’t prove it anywhere,” Ginsberg said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/arizona-ballot-review-draft-report/2021/09/24/7c19ac08-1562-11ec-b976-f4a43b740aeb_story.html

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

FADlZuPVUAcxNtD?format=jpg&name=small

:lol: 

How much would you have loved to be in the room when they told Donald he lost Arizona again?

"So the guy we paid $150 an hour to "fix" the Arizona election came back with the results.  Biden picked up votes while you lost several hundred."

"You're fired and get me the pillow guy!"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, downzy said:

How much would you have loved to be in the room when they told Donald he lost Arizona again?

"So the guy we paid $150 an hour to "fix" the Arizona election came back with the results.  Biden picked up votes while you lost several hundred."

"You're fired and get me the pillow guy!"

Well if at first (second, third, fourth, fifth ............) you don't succeed .... :lol: 

All the migrants are gone from under the bridge in south Texas. Some are in the US and some went back. But most of them are now in Mexico. What a mess!

I'm wondering how they got to Mexico was it by boat and didn't anyone think to stop them before they got into the boats or planes or whatever?

I understand they want a better life, but coming this way is just out of control.

We need to hold these countries accountable for their people. What the hell is happening? My people came to America from Sicily and landed on Ellis Island and applied became citizens. Why aren't these people doing this now?

7 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

We need to hold these countries accountable for their people. What the hell is happening? My people came to America from Sicily and landed on Ellis Island and applied became citizens. Why aren't these people doing this now?

Because that's not how it works now.  You can't just show up and apply for citizenship.  American citizenship is extremely difficult to get.

If your ancestors were to show up today they likely would not have been approved.  

8 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

All the migrants are gone from under the bridge in south Texas. Some are in the US and some went back. But most of them are now in Mexico. What a mess!

I'm wondering how they got to Mexico was it by boat and didn't anyone think to stop them before they got into the boats or planes or whatever?

I understand they want a better life, but coming this way is just out of control.

In their defense, Biden told them to "come on over" and to "surge the border", so they're just doing what the president said. Kinda like the Afghanistan debacle, this administration created their own mess.

18 hours ago, downzy said:

Because that's not how it works now.  You can't just show up and apply for citizenship.  American citizenship is extremely difficult to get.

If your ancestors were to show up today they likely would not have been approved.  

Little known fact is that back then before the welfare state, many European immigrants actually went home if they didn't economically make it. It was a very different system. You could get approved to get in, but that didn't mean you were going to stay if you didn't make the amount of money you thought you would.

Edit: although becoming a citizen is a long process, the US has had historically high legal immigration recently, historic high's at over 1 million legal immigrants per year.

Edited by Basic_GnR_Fan