The US Politics/Elections Thread 2.0

downzy

I always find these details fascinating.  Elections are often relative. Rarely are they reflective of the general will of the people but more often the product of who shows up.  It’s just so strange to me that there are that many Americans who say to themselves, “well, my guy won last time so I’m going to sit this one out.”  

Okay I found out that congress passed some of Biden's package from watching SNL. I do hope this is true and parents get a bigger child package and better prescription plans.

America needs to many things done especially with health care for everyone, so I do hope more better laws get inforced.

Now I want th Supreme Court to get rid of this horrible abortion law that Gov. Abbott of Texas had enforced. Texas is so against any laws that help the poor and middle class people. 

So sick and tired of living in a state that just about fucks as many people that they can that don't conform to what these bigots think is right.

If I could I would leave this state, but unfortunately, I can't right now. 

A good article on the unlikelihood of China invading Taiwan and why the dangerous, moronic assholes of the world (ie Senator Tom Cotton) should shut the fuck up before they cause a war between China and the US:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/11/china-taiwan-invasion-philip-davidson-military-threat.html

• Haha 1

Maybe the anti-union drive that took hold in Reagan’s America had something to do with it?   Though the trend did start before Reagan so it would be curious as to what other factors have led to the erosion of wages in this sector. 

Democrats concede the loss in Virginia, with the race lost by McAuliffe by around 65k votes.

Republicans refuse to concede in New Jersey, despite Murphy winning by 65k votes.

Republicans are only for democracy when they win. 

2024 is going to be a shit show of epic proportions. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

As long as people are dying, this shows that covid is still alive and well and infecting people especially the un vaccinated. Step up and get vaccinated so maybe one day we can all be safe and won't have to wear masks.

I don't think Aaron Rodgers would agree :rolleyes: 

What an idiot!!! I can't believe what he did! :facepalm: :no:

I have never heard or seen so many people who won't get a vaccine. It makes no sense at all. 

I have been vaccinated against so many illnesses and my daughter has been too. I just don't understand why some people still won't do it?

My daughter will be eligible soon to get her first dose of the covid vaccine and I can't wait to have her fully protected.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I have never heard or seen so many people who won't get a vaccine. It makes no sense at all. 

Makes perfect sense. Makes people feel important to think that they know better than the experts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I have been vaccinated against so many illnesses and my daughter has been too. I just don't understand why some people still won't do it?

My daughter will be eligible soon to get her first dose of the covid vaccine and I can't wait to have her fully protected.

One reason was an episode that took place a few years ago. I don't know the whole story. It seems that children who got vaccinated against some illness for some reason they developed autism. And this issue started some anti vaccine movement.

4 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Love the double standards. If he was stoic during the trial they'd call him heartless, if he cries or gets emotional they call him a pussy. Even if he truly believes what he did was self-defense, having to rewatch people dying from your weapon can't be easy, especially for an 18 year old.

Needs to put his big boy pants on then doesn’t he? Old enough to carry a loaded rifle into a riot then old enough to deal with the consequences. Either that or maybe it’s not a good idea to let kids play with guns? Just a thought. :shrugs: 

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Love the double standards. If he was stoic during the trial they'd call him heartless, if he cries or gets emotional they call him a pussy. Even if he truly believes what he did was self-defense, having to rewatch people dying from your weapon can't be easy, especially for an 18 year old.

Might shock some, but I actually have a bit of sympathy for him (my comment above was more of a shot towards Senator Hawley). 

Rittenhouse is definitely guilty of something.  You don't create the kinds of conditions that he did that result in the death of two and another person shot without facing some form of punishment or consequences.  But murder?  I'd be more inclined to criminal negligence causing death or a manslaughter charge, especially in light of his age. 

But a murder charge?  That's tough to swallow considering what was going on around him.  

But I do think he was failed by many, and why I have some sympathy for him.  His parents failed him by thinking it was appropriate to drive him across state lines with a loaded weapon.  He was failed by whoever it was that thought buying a kid a semi-automatic weapon.  The alt-right assholes and Trump-tilted media that fed this kid bullshit every day deserves blame.

It's a sad situation and one that likely the justice system is ill-equipped to properly handle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, downzy said:

Might shock some, but I actually have a bit of sympathy for him (my comment above was more of a shot towards Senator Hawley). 

Rittenhouse is definitely guilty of something.  You don't create the kinds of conditions that he did that result in the death of two and another person shot without facing some form of punishment or consequences.  But murder?  I'd be more inclined to criminal negligence causing death or a manslaughter charge, especially in light of his age. 

But a murder charge?  That's tough to swallow considering what was going on around him.  

But I do think he was failed by many, and why I have some sympathy for him.  His parents failed him by thinking it was appropriate to drive him across state lines with a loaded weapon.  He was failed by whoever it was that thought buying a kid a semi-automatic weapon.  The alt-right assholes and Trump-tilted media that fed this kid bullshit every day deserves blame.

It's a sad situation and one that likely the justice system is ill-equipped to properly handle.

Good, nuanced take. TBH there's so many parties who made bad decisions that night:

Rittenhouse is one, IMO, was an extremely naïve kid who probably never even thought through any scenario where he'd have to actually use his weapon. He probably thought he was going to show up with his gun and people were going to magically listen to his commands. This kid probably played too many video games or watched too many movies and thought he was some superhero. His mom was extremely irresponsible for basically signing off on him doing this and driving him there.

The cops, for just standing back and letting anarchy run wild on the streets. What good are they even they can't even keep the peace?

Glen Grosskreutz, for being there and being armed with a handgun. Given his criminal record, I'm not sure it would have been legal for him to be carrying that weapon.

Joseph Rosenbaum, who if anyone, is the real villain of this whole story. First off, why this guy wasn't in prison for life is beyond me. He raped multiple underage boys. This was an extremely disturbed individual, who apparently started this whole chain of events by charging Rittenhouse, going for his gun and verbally threatening to kill him. After he gets shot and killed, the other people involved here might have thought Rittenhouse was an active shooter even as he was running away. I won't lose a second of sleep over this guys killing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Good, nuanced take. TBH there's so many parties who made bad decisions that night:

Rittenhouse is one, IMO, was an extremely naïve kid who probably never even thought through any scenario where he'd have to actually use his weapon. He probably thought he was going to show up with his gun and people were going to magically listen to his commands. This kid probably played too many video games or watched too many movies and thought he was some superhero. His mom was extremely irresponsible for basically signing off on him doing this and driving him there.

The cops, for just standing back and letting anarchy run wild on the streets. What good are they even they can't even keep the peace?

Glen Grosskreutz, for being there and being armed with a handgun. Given his criminal record, I'm not sure it would have been legal for him to be carrying that weapon.

Joseph Rosenbaum, who if anyone, is the real villain of this whole story. First off, why this guy wasn't in prison for life is beyond me. He raped multiple underage boys. This was an extremely disturbed individual, who apparently started this whole chain of events by charging Rittenhouse, going for his gun and verbally threatening to kill him. After he gets shot and killed, the other people involved here might have thought Rittenhouse was an active shooter even as he was running away. I won't lose a second of sleep over this guys killing.

I'll be honest in that I really don't know much about the case.  Most of the details you include in your post are unknown to me.  It's why I haven't really commented on it. 

I've kind of taken an active disinterest in it due to the fact that it's become a national focus.  Whereas the murder of George Floyd became a test for how America's justice system would respond to what was an obvious instance of police brutality with larger racial ramifications, the case involving Rittenhouse has become a sad representation of American tribalism. 

The Michael Smerconish show put out a twitter poll yesterday asking if Rittenhouse was either a patriot or a vigilante.  What a fucking shameful and nonsensical question to ask.  How about neither.  If he had been a 25 year old asshole who began shooting rioters unprovoked then, okay, maybe he falls into one of those categories depending how you see things.  But he's barely into adulthood with failure for parents and an even worse social support system.  His formative years have been dominated by the most toxic level of discourse in modern American political history.  He's a big dumb kid who was way out of his element because he didn't know any better.  For me, it's just another example of what happens when a country has too many guns.  

Like I said, he's guilty of something, but when one considers all the circumstances it's hard to land on a murder conviction.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, downzy said:

Insulin costs anywhere from $1-$5 to make. 

It's the American politicians who refuse to start with price control. Both Trump and Hillary said they were going to do something about it if they became presidents. Nothing happened, of course. There's been constant talks about some kind of price control similar to what we have in Europe for many years now. But politicians don't want to do it. Probably bought by big pharma, so in that sense I suppose it is big pharma's fault, partly.