The US Politics/Elections Thread 2.0

downzy

The US won its appeal to extradite Assange, making his extradition very likely. If you didn't think irony was dead, this ruling came down during the Summit for Democracy.

As of 12/19 only three sitting members congress have had any thing to say about this (Amash, Omar, Khanna). News outlets have covered it, but the pressure hasn't been applied to the Biden administration. Hell they still haven't even had to explain why they are continuing a prosecution that every civil liberties and press freedom organization is warning about.

Edited by -W.A.R-
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Manchin sinks the Build America bill and Congress is out of session. So long Democrat majority in 2022

I think Dems majority is done with or without BBB.

But I also think they’ll come back and pass something. Feels more like a negotiating tactic by Manchin than a real nail in the coffin.  

I have a hard time faulting Manchin on most of this (though his position on child tax credits is hard to defend). Congress should pick a few things and fund them for ten years, which would virtually guarantee they would be funded forever. The progressive wing wants to fund everything but limit the duration to 3-6 years in the hope a future Congress reauthorizes them. That’s not enough time to fully realize the programs. Think how long it took Obamacare to roll out properly.

There is a deal here. But Democratic leadership needs to stop listening to the progressive wing and pass what Manchin wants to pass. Then see if you can chip off a few votes from Republicans for child tax credits and use it as a wedge issue if/when they vote it down. 

• 2 weeks later...

The point of it all is to make people question the validity of elections because they were audited. It doesn’t matter that the audit failed to prove fraud.

It’s just a question of when, not if, that America becomes a democracy. Whether it’s 2024/2025 or 2028/2029, America’s embrace of democracy appears to becoming to end.

MTG finally gets her personal account banned from Twitter for continually pushing misinformation about Covid-19 and the vaccines.

Accordingly, she complains about “Big Tech” and then tells everyone to follow her on Telegram, a different social-media company.

It’s striking how fucking dumb people are.  

8 hours ago, downzy said:

MTG finally gets her personal account banned from Twitter for continually pushing misinformation about Covid-19 and the vaccines.

Accordingly, she complains about “Big Tech” and then tells everyone to follow her on Telegram, a different social-media company.

It’s striking how fucking dumb people are.  

She doesn't look very happy about it.

FIJeh2dWUAQTcU5?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It truly is astonishing. It's not that many decades ago that USA was a leading nation when it came to rationality and science. 

Social media plain and simple. The simpletons didn’t have the megaphone in the past. 

• Like 1

Today is one year since the Capitol was attacked and still not charges are being brought against Trump. What is wrong with Congress? Everyone saw what happened and it was an attack on our government due to Trump's saying he was tricked out of the election and we should take back the country. How much more proof does anyone need? The longer they wait to prosecute people will forget and something else will happen and nothing will be done about it. 

If Trump thinks he will run again in 2024 and the Republican party supports him the whole country will be in a world of hurt and probably our government will fall next time.

The Dems have to start thinking now about a good candidate to run in 2024 who is both smart and likable and young enough to deal with the problems facing Americans.

Trump is not the man for the job. He's proved that and America is the worse for it.

19 hours ago, downzy said:

Very tragic. Both for the family involved and the state that wants to ensure this keeps happening.

Do you believe this? I'm sure the parents or at least the dad will be arrested. This Texas law is so damn stupid along with the other laws that Abbott puts into effect. I don't understand how Texas keeps voting for bigots who thinks their state can do whatever the hell they want and think it's right.

I bet those kids weren't in car seats either. I've seen parents with more than one underage kid in their cars without car seats. They complain they can't afford them. Well, I say maybe you should think about how much it costs to have a child and all the cost of raising them and what you'll need to keep them safe before you have one. Where is the common sense? Guess they don't think about that when they are screwing each other.

So many forms of birth control and it's free, so there's no reason for anyone who can't afford to take care of the needs of their kids to have one.  Imagine when this baby gets older and is told he found a gun in his car and shot his mother. He will need tons of therapy.

I'm sure the parents will be arrested for child endangerment. How many times do we need to hear this?

On 1/4/2022 at 8:56 PM, Oldest Goat said:

Is the Statue of Liberty jutting out of some God forsaken beach yet?

I bet she's crying on the inside. How far we have fallen from getting this gift from France? She doesn't stand for the same thing as she did those many years ago.

On 1/4/2022 at 5:27 AM, Dazey said:

Social media plain and simple. The simpletons didn’t have the megaphone in the past. 

Social media has taken many people's common sense away and let them behave like savages in the privacy of their own homes.

When did we feel such hate towards other people? What the hell is happening to us?

On 1/2/2022 at 10:37 PM, Dazey said:

She doesn't look very happy about it.

FIJeh2dWUAQTcU5?format=jpg&name=900x900

This woman looks like what a human would look like in the ice age. She looks like a cave person. I can't imagine she can put two words together let alone tell anyone what's right or wrong. God, she's scary.

On 12/12/2021 at 7:57 PM, downzy said:

North Korea throwing major shade on Twitter…

That's Ted Cruz the moron from Texas. Can't stand this guy at all. He's such a dummy and yet people voted for him.

My family really should have researched moving to Texas better than they did. lol But 30 years ago didn't seem as bad as Texas is now.

And it's due to morons like Abbott and Cruz

On 1/4/2022 at 11:32 AM, SoulMonster said:

It truly is astonishing. It's not that many decades ago that USA was a leading nation when it came to rationality and science. 

On 1/4/2022 at 12:27 PM, Dazey said:

I think it is the fuckin evangelicals brainwashing people. It's been going on for decades. Social media, Fox News play a role. But I think  religions are more powerfull

• 2 weeks later...