Jump to content

The US Politics/Elections Thread 2.0


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

There too much tension in both parties now, I think. Anyway, I meant that the fallout from the GOP splitting will likely be the Dems doing it, too. It wouldn't be the rational thing to do, as you point out, but if the tension increases between the "radical left" and the moderates, then I don't see how they can co-exist in one party.

I think that the "radical left" thing is a bit overblown. I just don't think that there are enough on the fringes to make up a credible left split. Trump is unique in that his base is genuinely big and solid enough to cause the GOP a massive headache if he leaves and takes them with him. 

I'm not sure if it would have as much of an impact on future Senate races however. I'm not sure if you can win a senate seat with a plurality of votes in any states or if you need >50% as in Georgia (maybe @downzy can shed a little light on that one?). If that's the case then there's always the chance that a Democratic candidate could win 49% of the vote against the GOP and Trump Party and then lose if the Trump/GOP voters coalesced in the subsequent runoff. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy...  

This is amazing.      

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I think that the "radical left" thing is a bit overblown. I just don't think that there are enough on the fringes to make up a credible left split.

Maybe not...should be, though :D I sense a change is happening. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Maybe not...should be, though :D I sense a change is happening. 

Sounds worrying. When was the last time you had a prostate exam? :lol: 

Edited by Dazey
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously though, for those who had their hopes up, doesn’t look good for either Snowden, Assange, or tragically, the Tiger King, in terms of getting a pardon. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dazey said:

I'm not sure if you can win a senate seat with a plurality of votes in any states or if you need >50% as in Georgia (maybe @downzy can shed a little light on that one?).

That’s a good question. I’m 99 percent sure only Georgia requires 50 percent to avoid a run-off election.  I know other states like Main and I believe now Alaska use ranked balloting which could potentially help the electoral chances of a third party candidate. California and I believe Louisiana have open elections/primaries where the top two vote getters win the right to compete in the general regardless of party.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Angelica said:

Has anyone checked in with 31Illusions mom to make sure he’s ok?

Yeah, just heard. It’s made him question everything and no longer believes in God  

/sarcasm

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, downzy said:

Facekicker?

If you listen carefully you can hear him beating his wife in the background. 

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, downzy said:

That’s a good question. I’m 99 percent sure only Georgia requires 50 percent to avoid a run-off election.  I know other states like Main and I believe now Alaska use ranked balloting which could potentially help the electoral chances of a third party candidate. California and I believe Louisiana have open elections/primaries where the top two vote getters win the right to compete in the general regardless of party. 

So if we take Kentucky in the 2020 where McConnell won with 58% to Amy McGrath on 38% and the Libertarian candidate on 4%. If we assume that a Trumper candidate could win 20%(ish) then you conceivably turn Kentucky and many other hardcore red states blue just by splitting the GOP vote. I don't really think he's going to go ahead and do it but this would be huge. 

1 hour ago, Angelica said:

Has anyone checked in with 31Illusions mom to make sure he’s ok?

He's probably made her into a table lamp by now, :lol: 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

His speech was very subdued thankfully. No direct or indirect calls for violence. 

Amazing that this is now somehow the standard and something to be thankful for.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

35 minutes ago, Dazey said:

If you listen carefully you can hear him beating his wife in the background. 

Maybe that’s the real reason he had to hang up. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad that stupid fuck is gone. How the Dems can take advantage of their control. 2 years isn't a lot of time to get what they need done

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Glad that stupid fuck is gone. How the Dems can take advantage of their control. 2 years isn't a lot of time to get what they need done

Obamacare took less than 2 years. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...