The US Politics/Elections Thread 2.0

downzy

Well, glad that (the last four years) is over.

As good as speech as one could make under the circumstances. Quite a contrast to four years ago.

In terms of legislative agenda, I think the priorities will be

1) Economic stimulus/assistance to get the economy going

2) Tweaking Obamacare to make it more expansive and robust

3) Immigration reform

Of course, unless Senate Democrats can reform or abolish the filibuster, little or nothing will get done. 

2 hours ago, downzy said:

As good as speech as one could make under the circumstances. Quite a contrast to four years ago.

3) Immigration reform

Of course, unless Senate Democrats can reform or abolish the filibuster, little or nothing will get done. 

This is the most realistic take. An issue like Medicare 4 All, for example, has no chance in hell of getting through.

I thought President Biden, that feels great to say this, made one hell of a speech. I hope he can get it done!

Lady GAGA singing was awesome. She looked great too with the dove and olive branch in her hair. J. Lo brought tears to my eyes.

Anyway, wonderful day for a new President of the US.

I actually have hope now!

• Like 1

This is promising...

I think most global leaders will look at the last four years as an aberration and will pick up where they left off with Obama.  Those countries (Brazil, Mexico, Saudia Arabia) banking on four years of Trump might have to reverse course quickly. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, downzy said:

3) Immigration reform

As an outsider to the US that filibuster thing seems to be the biggest, most stupid, costly and potentially dangerous political nonsense I've ever heard about.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, downzy said:

That’s a good question. I’m 99 percent sure only Georgia requires 50 percent to avoid a run-off election.  I know other states like Main and I believe now Alaska use ranked balloting which could potentially help the electoral chances of a third party candidate. California and I believe Louisiana have open elections/primaries where the top two vote getters win the right to compete in the general regardless of party.  

Yes....we literally just voted on this and approved of the rank voting. Of course the Trumpers were in hysterics and said no way could that have passed and tried to blame faulty Dominion machines. Fuckin losers! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, downzy said:
Seriously though, for those who had their hopes up, doesn’t look good for either Snowden, Assange

Well he never did the right thing so i don't figure he'd start now. If Biden is looking to move away from authoritarian and vengeful politics then dismissing the charges against Assange is a good start.   

2 hours ago, downzy said:

This is promising...

Very. It was one of the things i was most hopeful would happen under a Biden presidency. Now don't get me wrong i find the deal to be hypocritical, steeped in American exceptionalism, and reeking of imperialistic extortion - but its better than a path toward conflict.

9 minutes ago, Padme said:

Depends of your definition of "really gone" He is in Mar A Lago. But he still has his supporters inside and outside the republican party. I want him in jail

Yep, but at least some things will begin to change, hopefully. I mean, it's already started. 

PS: I like your signature - John Donne. 

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

Yep, but at least some things will begin to change, hopefully. I mean, it's already started. 

PS: I like your signature - John Donne. 

There is an impeachment trial. Unfortunately we don't know what the outcome would look like. On top of that he is under investigation in N.Y. for tax evasion and fraud. We don't know what's gonna happen with that either. We still don't know how much influence he still has over Republicans in Congress and elsewhere

P.S. I'm glad you  like my signature. I learn about it from Hemmingway's book For Whom The Bell Tolls