20 years ago - Rock in Rio 3 - Intercontinental Hotel, anyone was there?

I find it surprising all of those people with the band were so willing to speak to a random fan and let you close to them / Axl.. I would expect them to try to keep fans away from the band apart from a few autograph signing opportunities. Maybe they were less concerned with keeping people away from the band since 2001 was a time they were relatively out of the spotlight and there was less hype around them. I think Axl was probably still conscious of being wary of potentially crazy fans though, hence he was keeping an eye on anyone who got within a certain distance. I know a lot of people complain about band members being elusive and hiding from the public, but it's hard to conceive how strange a life it is being that famous and having millions of strangers wanting to talk to you / have sex with you / worship you / kill you, etc...

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Original said:

Can you post the photo(s)? 

I'm sorry, I'm afraid not - quite a while ago, I shared some of them with a few people, but not what actually happened at the hotel. Like "I met the ban," and that was all. Another day, one of these photos came up on Instagram as a "rare photo," and I didn't post it... I believe it might even be found here somewhere, but I don't want the photos linked with some chapters of my diary for privacy reasons. Not now, at least... I hope you understand. :)

9 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

He probably wasn't too keen on being approached at breakfast or at the pool. But that cones with the price of fame! 

I didn't approach him at breakfast. Someone from his entourage called my room on that morning telling me about the breakfast and him, until I realized I was about to be introduced to him (and when my knees started shaking when I first saw him - most embarrassing moment ever). On the second breakfast, after the show, it was in one of the restaurants at the hotel. I didn't say anything to him - I didn't want to bother him, and I was there for breakfast too. Only when we were about to leave (everyone was leaving at the same time), I asked for the other photo. By the way, at the pool, when he was talking to the fans, he pointed at me and referred to me to the other fans on people saying that he doesn't like pictures, but he took photos with me (so sweet). I believe it is more how you approach him (respectfully) than anything else. I would hate people taking pictures of me without asking, I don't see why he should be different. What he did to the fans (that long talk at the pool) was out of this world. Most people have a really wrong idea of him. 

4 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

I find it surprising all of those people with the band were so willing to speak to a random fan and let you close to them / Axl.. I would expect them to try to keep fans away from the band apart from a few autograph signing opportunities. Maybe they were less concerned with keeping people away from the band since 2001 was a time they were relatively out of the spotlight and there was less hype around them. I think Axl was probably still conscious of being wary of potentially crazy fans though, hence he was keeping an eye on anyone who got within a certain distance. I know a lot of people complain about band members being elusive and hiding from the public, but it's hard to conceive how strange a life it is being that famous and having millions of strangers wanting to talk to you / have sex with you / worship you / kill you, etc...

Sorry, but I wasn't really a "random fan... I was indeed a fan, but also a VIP guest staying at the same hotel and on the same floor that was technically supposed to be the GnR floor. Still, there were other ppl at the hotel also meeting Axl. The night before I arrived, I heard he went down to the pool and took photos with a group of fans (they were also staying at the hotel). Everything at the hotel was magical; it felt like a big family, everybody becoming friends of everybody, and we were all protected by bodyguards.  But it was indeed 2001, so perhaps today it would be different... So yeah... perhaps that's why I still dream with that time machine... 

Edited by ACDC8
some typos, sorry, as you can see, English is not my first language :)

He probably thought you attractive but was awkward about it and unsure. And since you were awkward, it made for perfect awkward meetings lol. All good though still a great experience.

GNR were really not that popular around that time. Just lack of interest mainly. Sure people would have been curious but they certainly would not have been populuar compared to the NITL period between say 2016/17.

37 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

Not a hater hally, just speaking my mind as she seems to be 'stuck' in this experience...

Here in Brazil we have a saying: when you don't have anything good or better to say, say nothing.

So what if she is "stuck" in this experience. doesn't seem to me she's hurting.

During Rock In Rio he interacted with a lot of fans and there are tons of pics of him hanging with them by the pool of the hotel or between the hotel and the beach.

32 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

GNR were really not that popular around that time. Just lack of interest mainly. Sure people would have been curious but they certainly would not have been populuar compared to the NITL period between say 2016/17.

GNR never lost its popularity in south america. I'm sure that in north america it was noth the same, but over here it was always huge, still today.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing such a cool story.

I notice people (strangers) staring at me all the time. Not sure why. I'm a decent looking dude, but who knows. My brother says I talk too professionally and sometimes dress the same, and as a result, people think I'm trying to fuck them. (Figuratively) So many more times than most at banks and at other places I get put through more scrutiny than normal. 

8 hours ago, Legendador said:

Here in Brazil we have a saying: when you don't have anything good or better to say, say nothing.

So what if she is "stuck" in this experience. doesn't seem to me she's hurting.

During Rock In Rio he interacted with a lot of fans and there are tons of pics of him hanging with them by the pool of the hotel or between the hotel and the beach.

Where I come from (north of UK) we call a spade a spade.  But if I was harsh I do apologise, no harm meant just an opinion. 

• Like 1

I was not at that Hotel. I had to drive 4 hours from São Paulo with my brother and find a cheap hotel to stay for one night only. We had no money, we’re just interns at the time and we got to the concert area at 1 PM. If I’m not wrong they hit the stage around 2 in the morning after Oasis, of course with almost 3 hours in between. I remember it was damm hot in Rio, more than 40 degrees Celsius that day. My brother and I were dead by the time they kicked off WTTJ. But at the time everything stopped. Hearing his voice again after so many years was unbelievable. One guy next to me was on his knees kissing the floor,and the energy there was amazing.  Having Axl on stage was epic, but to me, not seeing the classic line up sucked big time, as much as sucked the samba school at the end of the concert, which finished almost by 5 in the morning. My brother and I walked to the parking place , got in the car and drove back to São Paulo. I nearly slept over the steering wheel on the way back and had to stop for an half hour nap. We still had to go to work that morning...  good old days. 

50 minutes ago, GNR77 said:

I was not at that Hotel. I had to drive 4 hours from São Paulo with my brother and find a cheap hotel to stay for one night only. We had no money, we’re just interns at the time and we got to the concert area at 1 PM. If I’m not wrong they hit the stage around 2 in the morning after Oasis, of course with almost 3 hours in between. I remember it was damm hot in Rio, more than 40 degrees Celsius that day. My brother and I were dead by the time they kicked off WTTJ. But at the time everything stopped. Hearing his voice again after so many years was unbelievable. One guy next to me was on his knees kissing the floor,and the energy there was amazing.  Having Axl on stage was epic, but to me, not seeing the classic line up sucked big time, as much as sucked the samba school at the end of the concert, which finished almost by 5 in the morning. My brother and I walked to the parking place , got in the car and drove back to São Paulo. I nearly slept over the steering wheel on the way back and had to stop for an half hour nap. We still had to go to work that morning...  good old days. 

That’s hardcore. 

On 1/15/2021 at 7:39 AM, ACDC8 said:

I'm sorry, I'm afraid not - quite a while ago, I shared some of them with a few people, but not what actually happened at the hotel. Like "I met the ban," and that was all. Another day, one of these photos came up on Instagram as a "rare photo," and I didn't post it... I believe it might even be found here somewhere, but I don't want the photos linked with some chapters of my diary for privacy reasons. Not now, at least... I hope you understand. :)

I didn't approach him at breakfast. Someone from his entourage called my room on that morning telling me about the breakfast and him, until I realized I was about to be introduced to him (and when my knees started shaking when I first saw him - most embarrassing moment ever). On the second breakfast, after the show, it was in one of the restaurants at the hotel. I didn't say anything to him - I didn't want to bother him, and I was there for breakfast too. Only when we were about to leave (everyone was leaving at the same time), I asked for the other photo. By the way, at the pool, when he was talking to the fans, he pointed at me and referred to me to the other fans on people saying that he doesn't like pictures, but he took photos with me (so sweet). I believe it is more how you approach him (respectfully) than anything else. I would hate people taking pictures of me without asking, I don't see why he should be different. What he did to the fans (that long talk at the pool) was out of this world. Most people have a really wrong idea of him. 

Sorry, but I wasn't really a "random fan... I was indeed a fan, but also a VIP guest staying at the same hotel and on the same floor that was technically supposed to be the GnR floor. Still, there were other ppl at the hotel also meeting Axl. The night before I arrived, I heard he went down to the pool and took photos with a group of fans (they were also staying at the hotel). Everything at the hotel was magical; it felt like a big family, everybody becoming friends of everybody, and we were all protected by bodyguards.  But it was indeed 2001, so perhaps today it would be different... So yeah... perhaps that's why I still dream with that time machine... 

Awesome. Could you cut yourself out of the photo and post just the Axl part then? I mean, we're talking a rare picture here. Thx. 

Edited by jamillos
5 hours ago, moreblack said:

Tobias looked like a fish out of water the whole show. They did much better with Fortus.

Excellent observation, but the guy somehow knew he over his head and bowed out gracefully. It must have been cool for Axl to play with his closest friend from childhood during those concert dates.  It’s odd Axl never talked about him much after 2001 considering Axl said there wouldn’t even be a band without him. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Excellent observation, but the guy somehow knew he over his head and bowed out gracefully. It must have been cool for Axl to play with his closest friend from childhood during those concert dates.  It’s odd Axl never talked about him much after 2001 considering Axl said there wouldn’t even be a band without him. 

Supposedly he was fired because he couldn’t play

9 minutes ago, LunsJail said:

Supposedly he was fired because he couldn’t play

Axl said Paul didn't want the gig cause he preferred the studio and didn't want to play live.

Edited by Rovim