20 years ago - Rock in Rio 3 - Intercontinental Hotel, anyone was there?

At the time I found it exciting when Axl mentioned Oasis onstage. I had visions of Axl interacting with all the bands that had emerged since he went into seclusion. It never really happened.

I always liked the version of Madagascar from this show. It seemed a bit more low-key than subsequent performances but that might have been a bad mixing job. Most of the show is pretty bad.

• Thanks 1
On 1/14/2021 at 8:31 PM, Nice Boy said:

I find it surprising all of those people with the band were so willing to speak to a random fan and let you close to them / Axl.. I would expect them to try to keep fans away from the band apart from a few autograph signing opportunities. Maybe they were less concerned with keeping people away from the band since 2001 was a time they were relatively out of the spotlight and there was less hype around them. I think Axl was probably still conscious of being wary of potentially crazy fans though, hence he was keeping an eye on anyone who got within a certain distance. I know a lot of people complain about band members being elusive and hiding from the public, but it's hard to conceive how strange a life it is being that famous and having millions of strangers wanting to talk to you / have sex with you / worship you / kill you, etc...

So I’m assuming you are a hot woman. Axl is a famous man but still a man after all. That might explain all the staring. 

On 1/15/2021 at 6:21 PM, DurhamGirl said:

Where I come from (north of UK) we call a spade a spade.  But if I was harsh I do apologise, no harm meant just an opinion. 

Don't worry, we Brazilians over protect each other! No harm done.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

I watched the show again recently for the first time in a while. It was worse than I remember.

Am I in the minority in thinking the show hasn't aged well?

No, I agree with you. It’s cool for what it is, but Axl looks and sounds weird, and he dresses poorly m, too. The crowd was awesome, though. 

1 hour ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

I watched the show again recently for the first time in a while. It was worse than I remember.

Am I in the minority in thinking the show hasn't aged well?

Although I had a great feeling seeing Axl on stage again, I could note his voice wasn’t the same. I was far behind from the stage so I could only see the big screens, but I agree there was a good amount of weirdness during the band introduction and Buckethead’s strange moves. It shocked me also when he had Beta on stage saying lots of personal things and things like “don’t kill each other in a soccer game against argentina”... that was “unexpected” at least. 

9 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

No, I agree with you. It’s cool for what it is, but Axl looks and sounds weird, and he dresses poorly m, too. The crowd was awesome, though. 

I liked his dragon shirts. I suppose they were popular at that time.

9 hours ago, GNR77 said:

Although I had a great feeling seeing Axl on stage again, I could note his voice wasn’t the same. I was far behind from the stage so I could only see the big screens, but I agree there was a good amount of weirdness during the band introduction and Buckethead’s strange moves. It shocked me also when he had Beta on stage saying lots of personal things and things like “don’t kill each other in a soccer game against argentina”... that was “unexpected” at least.

Retrospective highlights; Welcome To The Jungle scream, ejecting a fan during It's So Easy, "Without Paul there would be no more Guns N' Roses, "Madagascar, Buckethead & Robin's instrumental jam (does anyone know more about that?) and Axl's speech about Beta.

Does anyone know if Axl rehearsed prior to Rio? Years ago, I read here that the band had an aircraft hanger and Axl watched the them play the set but didn't sing. I think it was from a Brain interview. 

Edited by ChineseDemocracy2004
14 hours ago, GNR77 said:

This about "soccer game" sure is some that Beta says to Axl, what thing would know Axl about football between Brazil and Argentina?

5 hours ago, Ratam said:

This about "soccer game" sure is some that Beta says to Axl, what thing would know Axl about football between Brazil and Argentina?

Cause he lived with a Brazilian family for almost a decade and might have learned a thing or two about their culture? Not rocket science

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

Cause he lived with a Brazilian family for almost a decade and might have learned a thing or two about their culture? Not rocket science

Oh yeah, sure Axl learned about the football game than the ball isn't square...:lol:

• 2 weeks later...