General Chat / Random Musings - 2021

downzy

Yeah, this place is quiet without three huge posters. Soon got banned unfortunately. Dieseldaisy must have gotten tired of being called a troll, so he probably quit, or he finally found a boyfriend, who knows. And LenCunt said before that he had quit drinking, so I guess he isn't much of a sober poster.

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

Yeah, this place is quiet without three huge posters. Soon got banned unfortunately. Dieseldaisy must have gotten tired of being called a troll, so he probably quit, or he finally found a boyfriend, who knows. And LenCunt said before that he had quit drinking, so I guess he isn't much of a sober poster.

I wouldn’t give them that much credit.

Traffic has dropped, as it usually does, after extended periods of absence by GNR.  It’s also been a crazy couple of months outside of what’s not been happening in GNR world and the last few weeks have seen a lot of people take time away. To be expected.

And if people leave (whether willingly or not) because they get tired being called a troll (when that’s all they are) or calling staff members derogatory names in PMs, then we’re better off without them. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, downzy said:

I wouldn’t give them that much credit.

Traffic has dropped, as it usually does, after extended periods of absence by GNR.  It’s also been a crazy couple of months outside of what’s not been happening in GNR world and the last few weeks have seen a lot of people take time away. To be expected.

I wasn't referring to the GnR sections because I don't know about that. But those 3 posters, whether you like them or not, were probably in the top 10, if not top 5, of most active posters in this section (Anything Goes, etc.), so having those 3 missing in action around the same time, must contribute to this section being more quiet than before and that is only normal. It's just an observation.

• Like 2

no one is forced to post here.

I'm missing all those people too, but it's their decision not to post here anymore. Everyone has their reasons. It's like a snowball though. One poster leaves, that makes another person leave and so on.

I hope some of those people read what we have to say about them, see that we miss them and maybe they'll come back.

I don't really see the point though, with all those great people gone. For me, they were / are the heart and soul of this community. I'm a bit lost for topics to talk about, with all those people gone. I don't really want to leave myself, but with whom am I gonna talk about chickens and other randomness?  I can't talk to myself can I?

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Political debates, probably :lol:

For real tho, he was a pretty good poster, pretty lame if he got banned.

Nobody has been banned for holding a political opinion.

Antagonizing members and staff members both publicly and privately is the best way to be shown the door here.  

• Like 1

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that I miss anyone here, I don't take it seriously enough to miss anyone on a forum, but I was merely observing that it's normal that when the 3 biggest posters leave at the same time, it gets more quiet.

If anything, I will miss soon because he was just a great and nice poster (imo), but I can be in touch with him through other means if I want to, so it's all good.

4 hours ago, action said:

I'm missing all those people too, but it's their decision not to post here anymore. Everyone has their reasons. It's like a snowball though. One poster leaves, that makes another person leave and so on.

I hope some of those people read what we have to say about them, see that we miss them and maybe they'll come back.

I don't really see the point though, with all those great people gone. For me, they were / are the heart and soul of this community. I'm a bit lost for topics to talk about, with all those people gone. I don't really want to leave myself, but with whom am I gonna talk about chickens and other randomness?  I can't talk to myself can I?

You was a nice team with Diesel .

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 2:55 PM, action said:

No one ever really leaves here, at least from what I've seen. Nearly everyone creates an alt and returns at some point, some times several times. 

When people make a "I'M LEAVING AND NEVER POSTING HERE AGAIN!11!!1!" type of post usually two things happen: 1) they immediately go to any other forum and make up stuff about how/why they go banned or don't post here anymore 2) they create an alt here because in reality, they cannot stay away. 

So you may not see the familiar screen name, but I assure you, the people are still here. They will use their common screen name elsewhere for clout, but they'll still be posting here under a different screen name. 

In the end, this place is based on a concept that's not too hard to understand: just be cool. No need to troll and insult each other. Just be cool. Anyone who can carry on a discussion without needing to insult others has always been more than welcome to post here. 

I haven't been part of the staff here for over a year now and I do not envy those who run the place. They're in a no win situation a lot of the time. I don't agree with all of their decisions (see soons banning) but I don't expect to, so I just roll with it. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

18 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

No one ever really leaves here, at least from what I've seen. Nearly everyone creates an alt and returns at some point, some times several times. 

When people make a "I'M LEAVING AND NEVER POSTING HERE AGAIN!11!!1!" type of post usually two things happen: 1) they immediately go to any other forum and make up stuff about how/why they go banned or don't post here anymore 2) they create an alt here because in reality, they cannot stay away. 

So you may not see the familiar screen name, but I assure you, the people are still here. They will use their common screen name elsewhere for clout, but they'll still be posting here under a different screen name. 

In the end, this place is based on a concept that's not too hard to understand: just be cool. No need to troll and insult each other. Just be cool. Anyone who can carry on a discussion without needing to insult others has always been more than welcome to post here. 

I haven't been part of the staff here for over a year now and I do not envy those who run the place. They're in a no win situation a lot of the time. I don't agree with all of their decisions (see soons banning) but I don't expect to, so I just roll with it. 

I find it strange to engage in situations that offer you "no win" a lot of the time.

If I ever would find myself in that position, where I'm spending a lot of time and resources into something, anything, that offers me nothing back, then I would just close the business. 

So therefore, allow me to put question marks with the comment that "staff are in a no win situation a lot of the time". That's painting a rather doom and gloom image of the situation, that is hardly accurate with reality.

Surely, they get "something " back from doing this?

You too, must have at one point got something back from your position. Somewhere along the line, that something got lost for whatever reason.

My point being, it's not all doom and gloom. Face the bad stuff, enjoy the good stuff, and move forward like a true man.

Edited by action

36 minutes ago, action said:

I find it strange to engage in situations that offer you "no win" a lot of the time.

If I ever would find myself in that position, where I'm spending a lot of time and resources into something, anything, that offers me nothing back, then I would just close the business. 

So therefore, allow me to put question marks with the comment that "staff are in a no win situation a lot of the time". That's painting a rather doom and gloom image of the situation, that is hardly accurate with reality.

Surely, they get "something " back from doing this?

You too, must have at one point got something back from your position. Somewhere along the line, that something got lost for whatever reason.

My point being, it's not all doom and gloom. Face the bad stuff, enjoy the good stuff, and move forward like a true man.

It's a very common misconception that the staff here gets anything in return for all the time and energy.

For me personally, I gained a lot of great friends all over the world. That was and will always be the biggest thing I personally gained from my time on the staff here. I have real life friends in several countries that I keep regular contact with outside of the forum. That alone was worth all the headaches that came with being on the staff here, at least for me. 

Many of my friends dropped off the forums years ago because they realized GN'R just wasn't that interesting anymore. I dropped off the staff when I finally accepted that fact, but I still post here for a few reasons. One of which is newer friends I've made that still post here. All the other friends are people I just keep in contact with outside the forum. 

As far as the reality of running this place goes, I assure you I'm not framing it any different than it actually is. The staff here gets absolutely nothing out of running this place. If anything, they get a bunch of unnecessary stress. In addition to getting nothing out of it, they also have to deal with people in the GN'R online culture having no sense of boundaries. 

You can take that as "doom and gloom" if you want, but that's the reality of it. The staff here does what they do in order to provide a space for people to discuss all the ongoing topics. None of the staff has any other motive other than that. In my opinion, they (we, with respect to my time on staff) should never have to deal with all of the constant negatives that come with it, but it is what it is. 

For me....I remain extremely grateful for all of the real life friends I've made through my time on forums. I wouldn't trade all of those friendships for not having to take all the crap I took online. It's a little odd to me that some in the GN'R online community still have untrue and hurtful things to say about me, but it is what it is. I do try to focus on the positive, awesome and supportive people I've met as opposed to the vocal minority.

So from my point of view, it's certainly not doom and gloom but to say the staff here gets anything out of running the place would be a vast overstatement. 

Edited by RussTCB
  • Like 3