General Chat / Random Musings - 2021

On 1/30/2021 at 9:50 AM, EvanG said:

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that I miss anyone here, I don't take it seriously enough to miss anyone on a forum, but I was merely observing that it's normal that when the 3 biggest posters leave at the same time, it gets more quiet.

If anything, I will miss soon because he was just a great and nice poster (imo), but I can be in touch with him through other means if I want to, so it's all good.

*I hear this just as I'm about to knock on the figurative door so instead throw celebratory "I'm back because I love and miss you, Evan!" cake on the ground and goes home*

:lol:

• Haha 2
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

100% agree and good for you for not following along with the arseholes I've seen that happen and you end up with really bad place for residents.  When I was in university I worked as a domiciled

Well at least we know why Len's not been about for a while.   https://www.ladbible.com/news/uk-depraved-man-who-had-sex-with-chickens-has-jail-term-reduced-20210130?source=facebook&fbclid=IwA

OK this is more of a rant than anything else. I work at a nursing home as a housekeeper. I won't mention the name of the home because of HIPPA. What pisses me off more than anything is the general lac

On 1/29/2021 at 2:55 PM, action said:

no one is forced to post here.

I'm missing all those people too, but it's their decision not to post here anymore. Everyone has their reasons. It's like a snowball though. One poster leaves, that makes another person leave and so on.

I hope some of those people read what we have to say about them, see that we miss them and maybe they'll come back.

I don't really see the point though, with all those great people gone. For me, they were / are the heart and soul of this community. I'm a bit lost for topics to talk about, with all those people gone. I don't really want to leave myself, but with whom am I gonna talk about chickens and other randomness?  I can't talk to myself can I?

No one ever really leaves here, at least from what I've seen. Nearly everyone creates an alt and returns at some point, some times several times. 

When people make a "I'M LEAVING AND NEVER POSTING HERE AGAIN!11!!1!" type of post usually two things happen: 1) they immediately go to any other forum and make up stuff about how/why they go banned or don't post here anymore 2) they create an alt here because in reality, they cannot stay away. 

So you may not see the familiar screen name, but I assure you, the people are still here. They will use their common screen name elsewhere for clout, but they'll still be posting here under a different screen name. 

In the end, this place is based on a concept that's not too hard to understand: just be cool. No need to troll and insult each other. Just be cool. Anyone who can carry on a discussion without needing to insult others has always been more than welcome to post here. 

I haven't been part of the staff here for over a year now and I do not envy those who run the place. They're in a no win situation a lot of the time. I don't agree with all of their decisions (see soons banning) but I don't expect to, so I just roll with it. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
18 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

No one ever really leaves here, at least from what I've seen. Nearly everyone creates an alt and returns at some point, some times several times. 

When people make a "I'M LEAVING AND NEVER POSTING HERE AGAIN!11!!1!" type of post usually two things happen: 1) they immediately go to any other forum and make up stuff about how/why they go banned or don't post here anymore 2) they create an alt here because in reality, they cannot stay away. 

So you may not see the familiar screen name, but I assure you, the people are still here. They will use their common screen name elsewhere for clout, but they'll still be posting here under a different screen name. 

In the end, this place is based on a concept that's not too hard to understand: just be cool. No need to troll and insult each other. Just be cool. Anyone who can carry on a discussion without needing to insult others has always been more than welcome to post here. 

I haven't been part of the staff here for over a year now and I do not envy those who run the place. They're in a no win situation a lot of the time. I don't agree with all of their decisions (see soons banning) but I don't expect to, so I just roll with it. 

I find it strange to engage in situations that offer you "no win" a lot of the time.

If I ever would find myself in that position, where I'm spending a lot of time and resources into something, anything, that offers me nothing back, then I would just close the business. 

So therefore, allow me to put question marks with the comment that "staff are in a no win situation a lot of the time". That's painting a rather doom and gloom image of the situation, that is hardly accurate with reality.

Surely, they get "something " back from doing this?

You too, must have at one point got something back from your position. Somewhere along the line, that something got lost for whatever reason.

My point being, it's not all doom and gloom. Face the bad stuff, enjoy the good stuff, and move forward like a true man.

Edited by action
36 minutes ago, action said:

I find it strange to engage in situations that offer you "no win" a lot of the time.

If I ever would find myself in that position, where I'm spending a lot of time and resources into something, anything, that offers me nothing back, then I would just close the business. 

So therefore, allow me to put question marks with the comment that "staff are in a no win situation a lot of the time". That's painting a rather doom and gloom image of the situation, that is hardly accurate with reality.

Surely, they get "something " back from doing this?

You too, must have at one point got something back from your position. Somewhere along the line, that something got lost for whatever reason.

My point being, it's not all doom and gloom. Face the bad stuff, enjoy the good stuff, and move forward like a true man.

It's a very common misconception that the staff here gets anything in return for all the time and energy.

For me personally, I gained a lot of great friends all over the world. That was and will always be the biggest thing I personally gained from my time on the staff here. I have real life friends in several countries that I keep regular contact with outside of the forum. That alone was worth all the headaches that came with being on the staff here, at least for me. 

Many of my friends dropped off the forums years ago because they realized GN'R just wasn't that interesting anymore. I dropped off the staff when I finally accepted that fact, but I still post here for a few reasons. One of which is newer friends I've made that still post here. All the other friends are people I just keep in contact with outside the forum. 

As far as the reality of running this place goes, I assure you I'm not framing it any different than it actually is. The staff here gets absolutely nothing out of running this place. If anything, they get a bunch of unnecessary stress. In addition to getting nothing out of it, they also have to deal with people in the GN'R online culture having no sense of boundaries. 

You can take that as "doom and gloom" if you want, but that's the reality of it. The staff here does what they do in order to provide a space for people to discuss all the ongoing topics. None of the staff has any other motive other than that. In my opinion, they (we, with respect to my time on staff) should never have to deal with all of the constant negatives that come with it, but it is what it is. 

For me....I remain extremely grateful for all of the real life friends I've made through my time on forums. I wouldn't trade all of those friendships for not having to take all the crap I took online. It's a little odd to me that some in the GN'R online community still have untrue and hurtful things to say about me, but it is what it is. I do try to focus on the positive, awesome and supportive people I've met as opposed to the vocal minority.

So from my point of view, it's certainly not doom and gloom but to say the staff here gets anything out of running the place would be a vast overstatement. 

Edited by RussTCB
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Seein the snow in NYC was so pretty. I saw the streets of Manhattan today and they were all cleared away, but the show was still all over the sidewalks. I miss snow. 

You can have mine.

12 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

You can have mine.

lol Well, living in Dallas I do miss seeing the snow, but I know it can be a pain to clear it up. Luckily living in New York, you can walk everywhere you need to go, so it's not a big deal. I see pictures of Manhattan on the news and already see how filthy the snow is looking. Oh well, it was pretty when it was falling down.

Can't believe soon has been banned :( Is it a temporary or perma ban?

Hope the mods will reconsider. I've been a mod and admin on GNR forums for about 15 years so I know arguments and disagreements can flare up between users from time to time, but I genuinely think soon is a great asset to this community and I'm sure that whatever caused the ban will be water under the bridge given a couple of months time :)

On 05/02/2021 at 9:10 PM, Whiskey Rose said:

Who the heck is going to keep SoulMonster halfway in check now? 

Yep, all Soulie's articulately described rational thoughts and friendliness really need to be held back. You can have too much intelligence and camaraderie in Anything Goes. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1
1 hour ago, Gracii Guns said:

Yep, all Soulie's articulately described rational thoughts and friendliness really need to be held back. You can have too much intelligence and camaraderie in Anything Goes. :lol:

Because what we really need is more dickstains like Facekicker to keep the place going.  :lol: 

• Haha 2

@Oldest Goat dude, I don't think it's up to you to say that other people don't know what they are talking about. Fact is that a lot of people, even more than the ones who have reacted so far, really like the dude and got along with him great. It's too bad you're not one of them, but it's not going to change my opinion because he has only ever been nice to me and nothing more. Even going out of his way to reach out to me while he didn't have to. If you think that's him being fake, then too bad!

Anyway, on the plus side, action followed his little friend diesel daisy to another forum, so he will probably stop posting too. I seem to remember you had problems with the two of them as well, so at least something to be happy about, right?

• Like 1

Soon was cool. From what I saw he wasn't nice to everyone all the time, but it was nothing worse than what you see on the forum all the time. Diesel Daisy was an overall good contributor as well and I liked action even though he was way off on some issues. A shame if they are all gone. I think some of you are too quick to dismiss people you don't like or agree with as "nothing but trolls". Just my opinion of course and I don't claim to know it all.

On 2/5/2021 at 11:27 PM, downliner said:

Can't believe soon has been banned :( Is it a temporary or perma ban?

Hope the mods will reconsider. I've been a mod and admin on GNR forums for about 15 years so I know arguments and disagreements can flare up between users from time to time, but I genuinely think soon is a great asset to this community and I'm sure that whatever caused the ban will be water under the bridge given a couple of months time :)

Hey, I didn't have anything to do with the banning for once! Haha

• Haha 1

Seen this, @Graeme?

GoPro Gets Melted by Lava and Survives - YouTube

So I think Go Pros are key to winning our war against them volcanoes. Maybe we can wear them? Like put up on our clothes so the lava won't get us? Or live in them? Like huge GoPros that are houses. Or maybe stuff the crates full with GoPros so the volcano can't spew out and disintegrate us?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Seen this, @Graeme?

GoPro Gets Melted by Lava and Survives - YouTube

So I think Go Pros are key to winning our war against them volcanoes. Maybe we can wear them? Like put up on our clothes so the lava won't get us? Or live in them? Like huge GoPros that are houses. Or maybe stuff the crates full with GoPros so the volcano can't spew out and disintegrate us?

I think the volcanoes are one step ahead of us, plotting to develop lava that even go-pros can't resist.

Well, Texans are very upset because starting today we're actually getting winter weather and possibly ice, which isn't good because Texas doesn't have the means to take care of the icy streets and highways.

I'm just happy we're finally getting colder weather. I mean, just put on a coat and hat and gloves and stop your bitching.

And the news people on still reporting from home, so having them complain seems pointless since you are home and not outside and you can order food, and your groceries from your phone or pc. Unbelievable.

People in NYC were on line yesterday during a snow storm getting their vaccines in Yankee stadium. some of them were buying yankee stuff and not complaining one bit. God! I miss that city.

We finally have some serious winter weather here too and everyone seems to be enjoying it. Lots of sledding, ice skating, people going hiking and enjoying the beautiful winter landscape. It's been a while since we had a decent cold spell that lasted longer than just a few days. It's bliss.

Edited by EvanG

It's insanely cold here.  Definitely suffering from cabin fever.  

Use to watch the moving The Shining in horror.  Now I can totally relate.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, lukepowell1988 said:

What did soon do?

We don’t publicly discuss details concerning why certain members are banned.

Each member is given four warnings. Those who choose to carry on without regard to the warnings provided by the moderating team will be banned from the forum. 

Any followers of my sporadic updates will remember I tend to have my mother-in-law staying with us for long periods of time. She has now sold her house and stays with us, and with my wife's sister, permanently. So she switches a bit back and forth between her daughters. Typically, if the tension gets too bad between she and one of her daughters, she will move. I am not really complaining, as far as in-laws go, she is pretty great. She usually stays in her room and she does a little bit of cleaning and helps out with the kids. She is also good at not sticking her nose in things she shouldn't. So I am not complaining. It could be worse.

And here is how it got worse: My father-in-law now stays with us. I don't know if I have told about him before, but he is really supposed to be at his house in Thailand now with his newest Thai wife. He was supposed to travel there last year but Corona stranded him in Dubai (as well as a few other airports), before he gave up and returned to Norway. Unfortunately, by then he had sold off any home and belongings in Norway and had to stay at a relative's cabin without water and electricity. Not ideal in winter so he came to us. He is also out of money by the way (built a swimming pool for his new wife and family back in Thailand and got them a car, you see). His big problem in life -- and only problem as far as I know -- is that he can't get back to Thailand.

My wife has been helping him apply for a visa and stuff, because he has been completely hopeless. Just as incapable as a little child. In fact, he has broken down just thinking about having to apply for a visa and going through the process with a trip to the embassy, and now he is drinking heavily in his bedroom while singing along to Frank Sinatra and terrible country music. Just depressed. And despite my wife doing all the work. He just can't cope with having to go through the process, still does nothing himself. They were in the city yesterday getting some certificates and he snuck off to buy liquor. He was so drunk and depressed yesterday he couldn't stop crying during dinner, but the kids fortunately didn't notice. My wife suggested he go take a walk to get some fresh air, and he walked to the store and bough more beer. I don't know how to help him, either. He just needs to have someone sort out everything for him and put him on a plane. But it will take weeks before he has the visa. 

Jeez. I am so ready to take away his booze the first time he makes a fool of himself in front of the kids.

• Sad 2
  • Wow 1

Yikes, that sounds like an impossible situation with no quick solution. He obviously has a drinking problem that’s likely not going to get any better unless he hits rock bottom.  

I feel for your predicament. 

• Like 1