Hardschool sound check questions

I've always been a bit confused about HS being sound checked. Firstly it's the exact same length and portion as the original 'checkmate' leak. Secondly Axl confirmed it was called Jackie Chan in the forum chats so why has it reverted to a name it had almost 20 years ago. 

Why would it even be considered to be played now, conveniently as it leaked. Do we know the setlist photo is real, and is it possible someone made the clip of them rehearsing it? Since when did Axl rehearse come to think of it. 

It's just too perfect, stuff leaks and suddenly it's on the set? 

• Like 1

Striking while the iron's hot, if I had to take a guess.  The leak might have inspired the band to revisit the track.  If the song wasn't soundchecked, I'd immediately say it was just the band trolling the community by adding it to the alt setlist.

Regarding the name going back to Hard School Skool over Jackie Chan, you'll need to ask Axl that.  :P

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

I've always been a bit confused about HS being sound checked. Firstly it's the exact same length and portion as the original 'checkmate' leak. Secondly Axl confirmed it was called Jackie Chan in the forum chats so why has it reverted to a name it had almost 20 years ago. 

Why would it even be considered to be played now, conveniently as it leaked. Do we know the setlist photo is real, and is it possible someone made the clip of them rehearsing it? Since when did Axl rehearse come to think of it. 

Very good questions. I've thought the same...but dismissed it in my head as being too far fetched as a scam even for some of the deranged lunatics we all know. 

What makes it seem genuine is that it sounds different to the leak. And Axl does soundcheck occasionally. 

24 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

When he called it Jackie Chan he also said all titles were working titles and subject to change.

And stuff like Better and IRS weren't on the setlists until after they leaked. :shrugs:

Axl usually rehearses with the band whenever they add something new... not surprising he'd be at soundcheck when they'd planned to add 3 songs to the set (Hardschool, Think About You, Pretty Tied Up)

• Like 2

I hate the thought of leaks forcing Axl's hand, but it was too much of a coincidence for me not to lean that way. 

Thank you Rick by take care of us. 

What a glorious period that was. I will never forget hearing Atlas for the first time and how it instantly changed my life...along with everyone else's.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dean said:

I hate the thought of leaks forcing Axl's hand, but it was too much of a coincidence for me not to lean that way. 

What a glorious period that was. I will never forget hearing Atlas for the first time and how it instantly changed my life...along with everyone else's.

Similar thing happened with CD :shrugs:

But yeah, the first time listening to the Atlas, Perhaps and HS leaks, as well as the earlier versions of CD songs, was glorious indeed!

Edited by DTV88
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

How to know something is real - Axl sounds like shit.

He sounded good on those leaked soundcheck videos, he did sound poor on the actual concert though. 

Ordinarily of course you would have had a point😋

52 minutes ago, Dean said:

Yeah I'm firmly in the camp of when it's ready release it, but some of that material has reached the "ready" mark several times! sometimes you have to force the horse to drink the water😄 

If they are intending to lead with Hardschool I REALLY hope they have worked out that stupid all over the place arrangement! I haveveaud that a few times, but it does need to be said! There really isn't room for a meh song on the reunion album, everything needs to be solid or fucking great! Especially the singles, hopefully Caram is happy to say "this song isn't good enough" he should have said that a few times already but what have ya!

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Yeah quite sad to think of it this way, but the last time a song was played without being leaked or part of CD was 2001/2...

Some people have suggested it could be a track written by the old band, and I think Duff said at one point in the 90s they would have a song on a Jackie Chan soundtrack.. If this was it that would explain why they jokingly referred to it as 'Jackie Chan'. 

• Like 1

I was under the impression that it was called Jackie Chan bc it was supposed to be on the sound track to a Jackie Chan movie??  i could be wrong on that. 

perhaps the name was changed to Hardschool if Jackie Chan trademarked his name.... I mean Axl trade marked his own name, right?

Do you guys think it might be a bit frustrating for a guitar hero like Slash, having to learn a song from other era to play in his own band? And even so, a 4 chord song? I mean, I really like the song, it's a good rocker and stuff, but it can be a tricky situation. The band is reunited and the first song that comes to mind in terms of releasing something is an old Chinese leak. Axl wants to revisit the chinese era rather than do something fresh. Never thought about it that way, since I was really pumped when the rehearsal video came up.

1 hour ago, Chester 524 said:

. I mean Axl trade marked his own name, right?

I wonder what that was about...