Hardschool sound check questions

17 hours ago, fear the juggalo2 said:

People like to listen in to other peoples conversations. It was known people were trying to hear us talk, so it was said to see how fast people would run with it & yep, people ran with it.

Yes it was played in soundcheck in mexico city, but someone wasnt happy with the way it sounded, so they didnt play it that night.

Also does anyone think it was coincidence that the 1 part of the sound check that leaked out was the same part of the Checkmate clip that we had had for years?? Hmmmm.

Lastly if your gonna sue anyone for damages & lost of revenue for leaking out a song/songs. You have to prove in court that you had intentions of releasing it. Hence, saying you were gonna perform it live & hyping the song for your first new single. 

Once again im a nobody & have no clue what im talking about, right guys?!?

It had a whole different intro, and it was clearly coming from the PA system of a stadium. This is ridiculous.

You're making huge assumptions.

The main reason Axl doesn't include a song on the set is he doesn't think his voice is in shape to do it the way he want... I realise than in itself is hilarious considering the rest if the set, but that is the official line on the subject from many ex and current members of gnr.  If you have greater insight to them I'm all ears, but you would literally have to be Axl to know anything more!

On 1/15/2021 at 11:02 PM, jafeijo said:

Do you guys think it might be a bit frustrating for a guitar hero like Slash, having to learn a song from other era to play in his own band? And even so, a 4 chord song? I mean, I really like the song, it's a good rocker and stuff, but it can be a tricky situation. The band is reunited and the first song that comes to mind in terms of releasing something is an old Chinese leak. Axl wants to revisit the chinese era rather than do something fresh. Never thought about it that way, since I was really pumped when the rehearsal video came up.

I wonder what that was about...

I think the fact that he's willing to work with and play the Chinese Democracy songs in concert proves he's cool with it. They could easily play nothing but the songs he originally played on, plus covers, and not lose any revenue from fans clamoring for it (Even the ones on this board are sick of the same setlist).

Edited by SOH

On 1/15/2021 at 11:02 PM, jafeijo said:

Do you guys think it might be a bit frustrating for a guitar hero like Slash, having to learn a song from other era to play in his own band? And even so, a 4 chord song? I mean, I really like the song, it's a good rocker and stuff, but it can be a tricky situation. The band is reunited and the first song that comes to mind in terms of releasing something is an old Chinese leak. Axl wants to revisit the chinese era rather than do something fresh. Never thought about it that way, since I was really pumped when the rehearsal video came up.

I wonder what that was about...

As I previously stated in other threads, my opinion is that Hard School came from the 94-96 sessions. I have my doubts that this was from the CD lineup.  If you notice the song structure is similar to classic GNR songs like You Could Be Mine and Don't Damn Me. It sounds nothing like  something on CD. Also, you have Duff referring to this song as Jackie Chan back in 1997.  I would say Perhaps as well came from the 94-96 session. 

1 hour ago, fear the juggalo2 said:

What? I never said it wasnt played at soundcheck in mexico city. I said it was not soundchecked at the Palladium show.  & you pretty much answered why isnt wasnt played at the mexico city show. 

I come to these boards for shits & giggles these days, & i never leave disapointed. You lil fellers are crazy A.F. (af is what you hip kids that spin vinyl say, right?)

But you do leave? 😃😃😃😃

• GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

The leaks did not “force Axl’s hand.” Nor did they in 2006. Hard Skool was one of the songs that Slash REALLY liked since it had an old Guns vibe and was a straight up, in your face rocker as soon as the intro was dropped. 

Huh? Slash has never spoken about Hard School. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Draguns said:

As I previously stated in other threads, my opinion is that Hard School came from the 94-96 sessions. I have my doubts that this was from the CD lineup.  If you notice the song structure is similar to classic GNR songs like You Could Be Mine and Don't Damn Me. It sounds nothing like  something on CD. Also, you have Duff referring to this song as Jackie Chan back in 1997.  I would say Perhaps as well came from the 94-96 session. 

Absolutely NOT a song Slash / Old gnr wrote. It's possible he wrote the main riff!? but structurely it is so far removed from what Slash likes, this has all the calling cards of the CD line-up. If you can point me to one rock song by Slash, Duff that has as experimental sound I'd be shocked. I guarantee if Slash has had his way he has gutted the majority of the song and added a far beefier riff, and much less bloated alt / NIN noodling.

15 minutes ago, fear the juggalo2 said:

Yeah i leave, I grow tired of the ass kissing pretty quick.  Then ill stop back by & read all the neck beards talking out of their ass on topics, ill chime in & then get a lil more lip from the hardcores that know-it-all. Which makes me & others laugh. (Speakin of others just got a phone call about me sayin things i shouldnt) back in my old days i would of told them to suck my dick, but now i identify as a her, so that wouldnt be lady like.(which i need to change my user name to fearthejuggalette now.

Anyway i dont really have much more to say. (Actually i do, but i wont). I soiled enough panties tonight. 

Also your 100% right slash would make the solo beefier, he wouldnt just get lost in it, start playing really fast & finish with a bend. (Ohh my bad, did i say that out loud). 

There's A LOT going on here🤣 

Ass kissing of GNR? I haven't come across much of that in the last few years here, it's fairly to the point forum! although there's clearly a few nutters😄

7 minutes ago, fear the juggalo2 said:

Maybe nicer words than ass kissers would of been wishful thinkers. I guess im just done on seeing the brighter light. The wishful thinkers is what enables this band to keep releasing puzzles, recycled shirts, and $100 Christmas ornaments. I think it's been said a few times here before, " voice your displeasure with your wallet".  Until then, get ready for more super awesome merch, like socks available in white & black. ( because they don't want to offend anyone).  The end.

You could make it interesting and leak more stuff :)

10 minutes ago, fear the juggalo2 said:

Maybe nicer words than ass kissers would of been wishful thinkers. I guess im just done on seeing the brighter light. The wishful thinkers is what enables this band to keep releasing puzzles, recycled shirts, and $100 Christmas ornaments. I think it's been said a few times here before, " voice your displeasure with your wallet".  Until then, get ready for more super awesome merch, like socks available in white & black. ( because they don't want to offend anyone).  The end.

Well you can be a wishful thinker, and a realist! Wishful thinking - I'd love new music and a band that sounds good live. Realist - I'll probably not get either. 

But I agree with the vote with your wallet sentiment!

27 minutes ago, fear the juggalo2 said:

What would you like me to leak? You want stuff like vegas 12/29 & 12/31? Or do you want "new" songs? Or maybe you should be thankful for the shit you already heard & stop take, take, taking & never giving!😉

Whoever you are, we definitely are grateful for what we’ve gotten so far, but that could hardly stop us from wanting more – especially considering we’re talking about fans of a band that’s famous for releasing fuck all in decades! 
You got it, you leak it, chairman. Much appreciated. 

32 minutes ago, fear the juggalo2 said:

What would you like me to leak? You want stuff like vegas 12/29 & 12/31? Or do you want "new" songs? Or maybe you should be thankful for the shit you already heard & stop take, take, taking & never giving!😉

lol whatever is left in L*v*’s vault would be fine and dandy! :) I’ve given back plenty :bitchfight:

2 hours ago, fear the juggalo2 said:

If it’s a choice I’d take “new” songs please. 😂

The GNR forums are dying a death - leaks are pretty much all we can realistically hope for in the short-term. If you are/were The Chairman.....cheers for what we got from the Village sessions. 👍

33 minutes ago, fear the juggalo2 said:

Ohh no. Im not the chairman by any means. (Im way better looking than him. Sorry ****) i want to be crystal pepsi clear on that. 

You kiddos are sumpin else with these accusations!! But in reality, you guys got a shit ton of music. I wish i could be thankful, but u gotta care about something to be thankful for it.  But regardless if someone passed me a new cd of unheard songs, id just throw it in stacks of shit ill get around to listening too. 

Maybe after this machine gun kelly cd & eminem side b cd. Ill take a gander at these  unmarked gnr cds.     ohh well, who knows?!?

Aww come on.....just have a gander and then share them.....think of the awesome karma you’d get.....the chairman is dead - long live the chairman!!! Or something. 😂

In all seriousness though - the Chairman leaks was the funnest time being a GNR fan (reunion apart) since 2008.....those weeks when stuff appeared were good times.

When I type it out like that it’s kinda sad isn’t it for a band of this significance. 😤

Edited by DTJ80

6 hours ago, Draguns said:

Hard School, before Slash and Duff got to it, sounded like shit, and nothing like classic old Guns. It sounded like a weak CD era rocker. 

Slash and Duff, from what little we’ve heard, have turned it into more of a classic GN’R rocker.

But you can’t convince me, that as it was before, was a composition from Slash from 1994/95... :lol:

3 hours ago, fear the juggalo2 said:

Ohh no. Im not the chairman by any means. (Im way better looking than him. Sorry ****) i want to be crystal pepsi clear on that. 

You kiddos are sumpin else with these accusations!! But in reality, you guys got a shit ton of music. I wish i could be thankful, but u gotta care about something to be thankful for it.  But regardless if someone passed me a new cd of unheard songs, id just throw it in stacks of shit ill get around to listening too. 

Maybe after this machine gun kelly cd & eminem side b cd. Ill take a gander at these  unmarked gnr cds.     ohh well, who knows?!?

If you actually have stuff, hang on to it for as long as you can to trade for more material. Obviously, verify over the phone before making any trades, or do them in person, if possible. 

Never do clips, and never "go first" 

9 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Absolutely NOT a song Slash / Old gnr wrote. It's possible he wrote the main riff!? but structurely it is so far removed from what Slash likes, this has all the calling cards of the CD line-up. If you can point me to one rock song by Slash, Duff that has as experimental sound I'd be shocked. I guarantee if Slash has had his way he has gutted the majority of the song and added a far beefier riff, and much less bloated alt / NIN noodling.

Hard School is definitely classic GNR. There's no doubt. I don't think that was written by the CD lineup.  Now, Perhaps could be CD lineup.  

3 hours ago, metallex78 said:

Hard School, before Slash and Duff got to it, sounded like shit, and nothing like classic old Guns. It sounded like a weak CD era rocker. 

Slash and Duff, from what little we’ve heard, have turned it into more of a classic GN’R rocker.

But you can’t convince me, that as it was before, was a composition from Slash from 1994/95... :lol:

How do you explain the Duff reference to it being Jackie Chan in 1997?  

Matt Sorum did say they had 7 songs completed and 7 songs that they were still working on. My guess is that Hard School was something they were working on. Don't forget prior to the reunion, Fortus stated that they were working on a song that Slash had started to develop. 

Edited by Draguns
typo

Structurally, it could have been initiated by the old camp (whether with Slash or not), but the version we know (especially the guitars) has obviously gone through the NuGNR sieve. Hard to say what it may have sounded like around 1997, if that's the case. 

57 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

If you actually have stuff, hang on to it for as long as you can to trade for more material. Obviously, verify over the phone before making any trades, or do them in person, if possible. 

Never do clips, and never "go first" 

Dude - this could be the unaltered CD2 you have longed for....and you are telling him to wait! 🤣

Joking aside - I hope it’s real and sees the light of day. Personally I would not be waiting to have a look if it was in my possession - I’d be all over it immediately!!!

@fear the juggalo2 you have to give them a listen....could be amazing stuff.....or could be dodgy soundboards from 2012 😂.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

It's entirely possible that the song originated in the '96 sessions - Duff mentioning the Jackie Chan song and Matt saying they had a few instrumentally finished rockers gives some credibility to that thought. Plus the Fortus quote from about 2015(?)

However, the version we heard is almost certainly not the original version, and really sounds like the CD lineup took that riff/parts and worked out a new arrangement. And that's not an odd concept for GNR considering they re-worked some AFD era songs for the UYI albums and stuff like This I Love was seriously overhauled over the years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fear the juggalo2 said:

You guys are funny to me. Theres sooo many bands & artist out there. I urge you to not obsess on this band. This ship has long sailed away. Once you let this shit go, youll feel a weight lifted off your shoulders.

As far as leaks go. Im sure theres less than a handfull of people that have something different. (I am not one of them regardless of some peoples beliefs.) 

Lastly the neckbeards talking about hardschool being a duff & slash song, just stop! Everyone is laughing at you!!!!

I don't think many here are "obsessing" lol. Of course there are other artists to follow - one of my favourites has several albums lined up for release this year. But we can still chat shit about certain aspects of GNR, it's not like people take the forums 100% seriously anyway.

There are reasons to think Hardschool dates back to the mid-90s, which is why it gets discussed. If you can prove otherwise, feel free to do so.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's entirely possible that the song originated in the '96 sessions - Duff mentioning the Jackie Chan song and Matt saying they had a few instrumentally finished rockers gives some credibility to that thought. Plus the Fortus quote from about 2015(?)

However, the version we heard is almost certainly not the original version, and really sounds like the CD lineup took that riff/parts and worked out a new arrangement. And that's not an odd concept for GNR considering they re-worked some AFD era songs for the UYI albums and stuff like This I Love was seriously overhauled over the years.

Oh yeah I agree the chorus could be a old guns left over! But the arrangement and most of the other parts don't really shout "classic gnr", that's what I meant.

• Like 1