Marc Ford (Black Crowes) asked to join GnR a second a time?

https://www.nme.com/news/music/former-black-crowes-guitarist-marc-ford-says-he-turned-down-joining-guns-n-roses-twice-2858153

I had never heard this before. I know he was asked to join after Izzy initially left, but never knew he was asked to join a second time in the early 2000’s. Based on what he said, sounds like he was approached around the time they were looking to replace Paul Huge and eventually settled in Fortus. I’m a huge Crowes fan, so I’ve always been partial to his tone and style. He would’ve fit in perfectly with Slash in ‘91, but not sure he would’ve fit with NuGuns. Cool nugget from a time surrounded by so much mystery. 

Edited by veon
More info in the title
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• veon changed the title to Marc Ford (Black Crowes) asked to join GnR a second a time?

Yes, this is interesting. Not so surprising, as it seems that Axl was looking for someone close to Izzy's style for that spot (he said the main reason he liked Richard was that he had an "Izzy vibe") - and in fact he had reached out to Izzy himself first.

Edited by Blackstar

1 hour ago, Rayno said:

Interesting, gonna take a listen.
I remember Mark and Izzy were working on something together prior to JuJu Hounds? Or am I wrong?

Izzy was asked to join Black Crowes, or at least consider it, but he was fed up with bands and declined. 

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4995p30-13-july-november-1991-use-your-illusions-are-out-so-is-izzy#19671

19 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Izzy was asked to join Black Crowes, or at least consider it, but he was fed up with bands and declined. 

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4995p30-13-july-november-1991-use-your-illusions-are-out-so-is-izzy#19671

Cool, thanks. But I mean something different. I remember reading something somewhere Marc actually plays on the Pressure Drop EP and is not credited because The Black Crowe didn't like the idea of their new arrival being credited on someone else's record? Or maybe Jimmy Ashhurst mentioned it in some video? Mark's long time friend and collaborator Craig Ross is credited though.

EDIT: Oh, they even discuss it in the podcast (around 24:40 min.). Case closed.

Edited by Rayno
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link. It's interesting how Axl was courting guitarists all across the spectrum, I think a "nuGuns" with Marc Ford or Derek Trucks would have had a very different sound:

Even Finck's look (and solo spot) in '06/'07 seemed more traditional blues-rock-y, could've passed for a Robinson brother.

I did know about Marc Ford earlier, but not even I (as ahuge Gunner and TBC fan) knew this.

If I did, I would have asked Rich about it earlier, will do next time and will write here what he says.

As for Marc, yes, UYI band would have been an interesting fit for him, but Nu Guns had 0 to do with rock and him being rock or blues rock guitarist I just don't see how he would have fit in that band.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Frankfurt93 said:

I did know about Marc Ford earlier, but not even I (as ahuge Gunner and TBC fan) knew this.

If I did, I would have asked Rich about it earlier, will do next time and will write here what he says.

As for Marc, yes, UYI band would have been an interesting fit for him, but Nu Guns had 0 to do with rock and him being rock or blues rock guitarist I just don't see how he would have fit in that band.

I dont  think TBC southern music........album would not have sounded good without Marcs contributions had he have joined guns.

Edited by Sydney Fan

6 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I dont  think TBC southern music........album would not have sounded good without Marcs contributions had he have joined guns.

Well..TBC had that southern rock vibe/sound on all their albums, it was their trademark, both on the albums before Marc and after him, that depended much more on Robinson brothers, it would have probably not sounded same as it did, how it would - it is up in the stars

7 hours ago, WayTooManyOstriches said:

A few people have mentioned southern rock and I remember Slash one time made a comment about how Axl didn't like some of the songs he offered for the follow up to The Spaghetti Incident, saying they were southern rock.

So what exactly is southern rock? Which artists are the best example of that?

Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, those 2 are the top two southern rock bands. It's like rock but with some country (not like modern country though).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2021 at 7:33 PM, WayTooManyOstriches said:

A few people have mentioned southern rock and I remember Slash one time made a comment about how Axl didn't like some of the songs he offered for the follow up to The Spaghetti Incident, saying they were southern rock.

Jizz Da Pit on IFOCS, I think.

Axl called it "Red Neck".

Edited by denin

1 hour ago, denin said:

Jizz Da Pit on IFOCS, I think.

Axl called it "Red Neck".

hmmmmm...I would not call Jizz southern rock, don't know what Slash demoed by that time, but I would think that Neither can I, maybe Beggars and hangers on were more i that direction.  Although in general I really can't hear much of southern rock there and I am hard core GNR and The Black Crowes (who are pretty much souhern rock) fan

On 18/01/2021 at 1:43 PM, Rayno said:

Interesting, gonna take a listen.
I remember Mark and Izzy were working on something together prior to JuJu Hounds? Or am I wrong?

Marc appears uncredited on Ju Ju Hounds.

On 18/01/2021 at 3:32 PM, SoulMonster said:

I asked Steve Gorman about this on the AFD podcast and he said himself it was bullshit and Izzy was never considered.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2021 at 2:55 AM, Blackstar said:

Yes, this is interesting. Not so surprising, as it seems that Axl was looking for someone close to Izzy's style for that spot (he said the main reason he liked Richard was that he had an "Izzy vibe") - and in fact he had reached out to Izzy himself first.

I think Rich Robinson has more Izzy Style and approach than Marc... Marc is more of a Lead Guitar . Rich with open tunings and more rhythm style would  be more of a proper fit

17 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

I think Rich Robinson has more Izzy Style and approach than Marc... Marc is more of a Lead Guitar . Rich with open tunings and more rhythm style would  be more of a proper fit

well yeah, Marc was a lead while Rich is rhythm.   Izzy sound wise is not TBC style IMO, how close or far he was from joining band - only Iz and TBC know.

I remember he asked Derek Trucks at one point, didn't know about Marc Ford. He would've sounded good. Great lead player. I know him and Slash played together in Camp Freddy, don't know how many times. Interesting aside, Slash was on the verge of forming a band with Steve Gorman the Black Crowes drummer before Duff and Matt reached out for what ended up becoming Velvet Revolver.

Edited by moreblack

11 hours ago, moreblack said:

I remember he asked Derek Trucks at one point, didn't know about Marc Ford. He would've sounded good. Great lead player. I know him and Slash played together in Camp Freddy, don't know how many times. Interesting aside, Slash was on the verge of forming a band with Steve Gorman the Black Crowes drummer before Duff and Matt reached out for what ended up becoming Velvet Revolver.

Never know about Derek Trucks... That would be insane!!