Appetite for Distortion - Vancouver/Philly riot episodes

Recently did episodes with fans that experienced the Vancouver and Philly riots. I believe these complete my "riot series." Am I missing any? Too many GNR riots to keep track of :) 

2002 Vancouver Riot, Revisited | Ep. 242 - YouTube

2002 Philadelphia Riot, Revisited | Ep. 239 - YouTube

1992 Montreal Riot, Revisited | Ep. 234 - YouTube

1991 Riverport Riot, Revisited | Ep. 235 - YouTube

Edited by Gambit83
  • Like 3

Hey Brando, hope you're well!

I checked the '02 episodes last night, I really dig podcasts like that, great insight from those that witnessed the shit hitting the fan first hand. Can't help but agree with the view that there was an element of mystique about the band during the 01/02 period. 4 years is a long time to wait for the machine to start getting rolling again, but I'd still say there was an aura around that period also. Plus, the feeling that the record was going to drop that year was more convincing than years gone past.

The '02 merch is the GOAT btw. I may never own the 01/01/01 Vegas CD Starts Now tee, but I got my hands on the FTMI top a few months back with the star logo on the breast, that is as good a consolation as any other! 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Great series @Gambit83, just finished Vancouver today.  I actually remember those posts on the GNRBar back in the day.  We were all excited about reviews for the show and it was deflating reading that it didn't happen.  I remember thinking at first the posts were jokes.  It slowly became clear they weren't.  I haven't been on that forum in probably 15 years, frankly I didn't know it still existed!  

I always think of Vancouver as the lesser known riot.  Sounds like the "Axl was in the air" rumor is true.  Would love to know ultimately why the venue apparently decided to cancel the show.  Maybe a follow-up with the General Motors Place arena staff from that night is in order (I know, easier said than done). 

Great job on this series!  I think a series on the 2006 NYC shows would be great.  The hype leading up to those shows was great.  Then we had the Eddie Trunk interview that same week.... Izzy showed up at the last show. I feel like all forums were at an all-time high during those shows.  

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

You might do a series on GNR fights back.  I would love to see a clip of Tommy telling people to get a life and then accidentally hitting the cameraman in the head with his bass.  :lol:Believe that was one of the Download festivals where people were throwing bottles at the stage.  There's always the Trump piñata.  You include the Axl rants and that might keep us entertained through the covid pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, cineater said:

You might do a series on GNR fights back.  I would love to see a clip of Tommy telling people to get a life and then accidentally hitting the cameraman in the head with his bass.  :lol:Believe that was one of the Download festivals where people were throwing bottles at the stage.  There's always the Trump piñata.  You include the Axl rants and that might keep us entertained through the covid pandemic.

I definitely want to speak with a fan who was at the piñata show. 

I'd have a podcast episode just playing Axls rants pausing here and there to get those who were in attendance's two cents on what they, heard, how the crowd reacted etc.  I'd love to hear how people in the crowd reacted when Axl talked shit about Nirvana back in the day.....

some of those rants were pure gold imo.  would love to also know what Doug Goldstein and others backstage thought about them as well.  

• GNFNR 1