Godzilla vs. Kong

Graeme

Trailer just dropped - looks great, although as someone who is 100% on Team Godzilla, I'm slightly concerned that he wasn't shown to land a single blow. I don't just want it to be 'plucky underdog King Kong manages to beat Godzilla against all odds'. If one of them has to win (although I still think they may divert the plot away from that eventuality), I want Godzilla all day every day.

• Like 1

Damn I like both of these monsters. 

I assume Kong is back off his island again. Damn leave that guy alone.

Both the last movies these monsters were in, they were the hero, so what's up now?

Damn it again taking Kong hostage.

I hope Godzilla and Kong team up and destroy the humans for making them fight each other and they go back to their island and live i peace.

I hate seeing Kong in chains again. Stupid people.

1 minute ago, Graeme said:

The latter, they set that up in Kong: Skull Island by pointing out that he was an adolescent and still had a lot of growing to do.

Oooh, I really enjoyed Skull Island but don't remember that reference. Is this all in the same universe as Peter Jackson's Kong remake or completely separate? Since that Kong was obviously MUCH smaller than the big fella in this one.

54 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Oooh, I really enjoyed Skull Island but don't remember that reference. Is this all in the same universe as Peter Jackson's Kong remake or completely separate? Since that Kong was obviously MUCH smaller than the big fella in this one.

Not the same universe as the Jackson one - but yes, the same universe as the other two Legendary Godzilla films and Skull Island. 

I'm on team Kong.

Call me silly (or worse), but I have a hard time watching Skull Island again knowing the first half the film the humans are beating up on Kong (who is on their side).  Just feel bad for the guy.  Lost his parents to freak lizards and gets mowed down by the arriving humans, but still does the right thing.  

I've enjoyed the Godzilla films, but I don't really feel much for him/it. 

It's a giant lizard versus our closest animal cousin.  Easy call for me.  

19 hours ago, downzy said:

I'm on team Kong.

Call me silly (or worse), but I have a hard time watching Skull Island again knowing the first half the film the humans are beating up on Kong (who is on their side).  Just feel bad for the guy.  Lost his parents to freak lizards and gets mowed down by the arriving humans, but still does the right thing.  

I've enjoyed the Godzilla films, but I don't really feel much for him/it. 

It's a giant lizard versus our closest animal cousin.  Easy call for me.  

I agree with you. Kong was a hero on his own island and helped the people there.  He wants to live in peace and those humans were on his tuff. I don't like the idea of both these monsters fighting each other since they would love to be in peace somewhere.

And yeah, Kong is a cousin to humans for sure. But I do like Godzilla too. Probably wait until it comes on cable to watch it so I can bitch throughout the whole movie. lol

I'm looking forward to this movie (as is my 5 year old son). I honestly REALLY like the monster verse, push comes to shove, it's the best Godzilla series imo. I have seen every Godzilla movie at least once, and own the entire Heisei and millennium eras, (and 6 or 7 Showa era). So I am VERY familiar with these films and franchise. I LOVE the Toho films, and they will always be special to me, but having said that, quality wise they have always been subpar (with the 54 original being the ONLY exception). My point being, these films have always been "out there" so I'm not sure what people's expectations for Godzilla vs Kong are? It's the two most famous giant monsters battling it out, that's it. Honestly, the same basic plots get recycled over and over again, because what else can you do? It's ALL literally been done before, by Toho. 

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the plot is a mashup of the original King Kong, original King Kong vs Godzilla, and the original Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. With the last one being the one that will be the most "similar" to. Which I think is great, and REALLY fits into the "feel" these films have, they are like the Showa era films. 

Possible spoiler here 

In the original Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, Mecha "pretends" to be Godzilla for a while. I can almost guarantee that's what's going on here. If you saw the credit scene from King of the Monsters, than it all fits together perfectly. Not to mention, Mechagodzilla HAS leaked from this film. 

I'm on team Godzilla (although I'm worried). I haven't heard if Legendary and Toho agreed to any more films after Godzilla vs Kong. So, they might try to push Kong front and center, and make him carry the franchise. Although, I feel that is a mistake. Kong has yet to prove he can carry a franchise. Godzilla on the other hand is the larger, more iconic character. Godzilla has produced 30 something films. While Kong has had plenty of films, outside of Skull Island, they are all basically remakes/retellings. Honestly, Skull Island is that as well, although it adds more to it. I don't have faith that Kong can carry the franchise without Godzilla, and the REST of Tohos Kaiju. So if you want anymore of these films, Godzilla HAS to win. Having said that, they are going to team up and defeat Mechagodzilla. Seriously, go watch Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1974/5). King Kong is taking the role of King Ceasar, lol. 

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I really hope both Godzilla and Kong realize that are just pawns of humans and decide to call a truce and Kong goes back to his island and Godzilla goes whereever he goes.

I know it's a fantasy movie, but since humans really do fuck up animals in real life this movie will annoy the hell out of me.

Besides seeing Kong drugged and in chains again disturbs me again.

If anyone sees this movie, tell me the ending. lol

I really want to see Mortal Kombat. Saw the first one and loved it and this one looks more amazing than the original movie.

On 2/2/2021 at 7:52 PM, Iron MikeyJ said:

I heard a "supposed" plot leak. It sounds pretty credible imo. Slight difference over what I described earlier. 

Anyways, I can share what I heard if anybody wants to hear. One does "defeat" the other, but they both have to team up to beat a BIGGER threat.

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing that something bigger and deadly would come and Kong and Godzilla would have to team up. 

I guess they still after all the shit, save humans, why I don't know?

Parts were as bad and sloppy as the last Godzilla movie but they wisely kept this movie under 2 hours and I appreciate how colorful it was. No more dark BS. Having them duke it out in bright, epic looking video game- like environments was a wise choice. Even the city fight was colorful.

This was a very stupid movie that knew it was a very stupid movie. That helps. The Billy Boy Eleven sub plot was abominably stupid, but it didn't really distract you

I'd go as far to say that they could have made this a great B movie length at an hour 30, but I'll take the run time it had. Even being 30 minutes less than the last Godzilla was a big improvement.

Loved this. Yeah, the human stuff wasn't great, but at least it didn't make me want to claw me eyes out like with Godzilla: KOTM, and the film didn't outstay its welcome. And While KOTM had good monster action, this turned everything up to 11. So many cool moments. Glad I avoided the trailer and leaks, I was squealing with joy every five minutes at things I wasn't expecting to see.

• Like 1

I give it two thumbs up! The monster scene's and Kong's backstory were very well done, and the human stories didn't drag the movie down too much, they managed to stay out the way when they had to. I think they've done this franchise and world building better than I would have expected for giant monster movies. My biggest gripe is still that they killed Bryan Cranston in the first Godzilla movie!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, moreblack said:

That's not what I've heard from other reviews

I thought it was fine. Some of these reviewers are ridiculous. A movie full of nothing but Kong and Godzilla fighting would actually suck. You have to pace correctly and use them correctly. Two monsters who have no dialog can't carry an entire damn movie!

This is the same thing that has killed pro wrestling. You have all these geeks doing somersaults, flips, and super kicks non stop. They've lost the art of pacing, story-telling, and selling.

1 hour ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

I thought it was fine. Some of these reviewers are ridiculous. A movie full of nothing but Kong and Godzilla fighting would actually suck. You have to pace correctly and use them correctly. Two monsters who have no dialog can't carry an entire damn movie!

This is the same thing that has killed pro wrestling. You have all these geeks doing somersaults, flips, and super kicks non stop. They've lost the art of pacing, story-telling, and selling.

I got the feeling that the story telling that was presented when the two weren't fighting wasn't that engaging. One guy couldn't even tell the character names despite watching them so much in the movie

Got bit by the Godzilla bug after I watched this again with some family. Its a lot of fun. Even had some fun rewatching KotM after knowing what to expect. Also rewatched the original and Shin and they were great. I am going through whatever they have on HBO Max now. I think my original disappointment with the Monsterverse movies was unchecked expectations. Those original trailers really framed the 2014 movie as something dark and sinister. I liked 2014 when I first saw it but then the disappointment of not getting what the initial trailers promised set in. I should rewatch it, as I haven't seen it since it came out. Plus, Shin delivers the dark "realistic" thing in spades, so its no loss now.

@Iron MikeyJ have you ever heard of X Plus? I would like a nice vinyl Godzilla for nostalgia's sake. These seem really pricey but seem to have a huge following. Unfortunately, my favorite designs are long gone and out of price range now (Shin or 1993 Godzilla) but there is a nice 2002 one from "Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla" available for preorder.

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Got bit by the Godzilla bug after I watched this again with some family. Its a lot of fun. Even had some fun rewatching KotM after knowing what to expect. Also rewatched the original and Shin and they were great. I am going through whatever they have on HBO Max now. I think my original disappointment with the Monsterverse movies was unchecked expectations. Those original trailers really framed the 2014 movie as something dark and sinister. I liked 2014 when I first saw it but then the disappointment of not getting what the initial trailers promised set in. I should rewatch it, as I haven't seen it since it came out. Plus, Shin delivers the dark "realistic" thing in spades, so its no loss now.

@Iron MikeyJ have you ever heard of X Plus? I would like a nice vinyl Godzilla for nostalgia's sake. These seem really pricey but seem to have a huge following. Unfortunately, my favorite designs are long gone and out of price range now (Shin or 1993 Godzilla) but there is a nice 2002 one from "Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla" available for preorder.

Compared to some of the goofy Godzilla movies they were making during the 60's and 70's, these movies are dark! At least Godzilla is portrayed as an apex predator who is beyond good and evil. Kong is the one who can have a special connection to humans. Godzilla does his own thing and is more of a Mad Max type character, coming and going as he pleases.

48 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Compared to some of the goofy Godzilla movies they were making during the 60's and 70's, these movies are dark! At least Godzilla is portrayed as an apex predator who is beyond good and evil. Kong is the one who can have a special connection to humans. Godzilla does his own thing and is more of a Mad Max type character, coming and going as he pleases.

Yeah, I am definitely glad to have them. I hope this movie's success leads to more American and Japanese Godzilla movies alike. I would like to see some new Kaiju for him to fight. I think we will definitely see another Kong movie, too

I'm glad you enjoyed it @ZoSoRose. I'm also glad you went back and watched KOTM, it's better than a lot of people said. They are big dumb Godzilla movies, what do you expect? Lol. I see what you are saying though, the trailer for the 2014 movie was a little misleading. I honestly feel the monsterverse is the best Godzilla series to date. I LOVE Toho, but they don't have the money or resources to make films like the Monsterverse. Which you said you were going to watch the films on hbomax, which is great. But if I remember correctly, they are missing the heisei series on there, which is unfortunate. 

My official Godzilla series ranks (as of today)

1. Monsterverse

2. Heisei era

3. Showa era

4. Millennium era

5. Shin era (if they release more films in continuity, it'll go higher)

Also, I haven't heard of those yet, I'll have to check them out. My son LOVES Godzilla toys, so we have a TON, lol. Just about every monster you could think of, we have one, lol.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ