Axl Rose:Guns N Roses Frontman

I watched this yesterday.  I thought they did really well explaining how his childhood effected his entire life.  They mentioned family alot and tied Beta and her family pertaining to how much it means to him and how it changed him.  There is not doubt that Axl who came out of hibernation is 100% the opposite the person who went in.  It was interesting that they mentioned him going on lithium and how it mellowed him, but he couldnt create, so he stopped taking it.  Explains alot of the lack of new music etc

7 hours ago, reayj2003 said:

I’m surprised they were allowed to use real footage & especially the Vegas 2001 stuff. Surely the band didn’t sign off on that?

At that point of the documentary someone says Axl was struggling to sell out the House of Blues..that show sold out in minutes then they headlined Rock in Rio to what I believe is the biggest crowd any line up had played to. 

I only saw RiR3 footage. Did I miss House Of Blues 2001 footage in there? 

20 hours ago, gonzalo palmese said:

Goldstein, i literally dont believe a word that guy said. 

12 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I believe Niven when he said he's the one who did both of those things. Goldstein has a long history of being shady and lying.

You can see tears in his eyes when he's talking about how Axl was suicidal and how he had to talk him out of it. I don't think he's lying there. I think he's also overall sincere about how much he loved Axl.

Whether he's deliberately lying about some other things, I can't say. Maybe his memory fails him from time to time or maybe there's a different explanation. For example, maybe both Goldstein and Niven went looking for that bandana so neither is lying.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, reayj2003 said:

I’m surprised they were allowed to use real footage & especially the Vegas 2001 stuff. Surely the band didn’t sign off on that?

At that point of the documentary someone says Axl was struggling to sell out the House of Blues..that show sold out in minutes then they headlined Rock in Rio to what I believe is the biggest crowd any line up had played to. 

Wow. They even used the audio for "Jungle"! I expected maybe just the footage, with some generic rock/crap music playing over it. 

On 1/30/2021 at 11:05 PM, Blackstar said:

Doug Goldstein changed his version for the second time about whether he was in Barcelona (when allegedly the name was signed over to Axl). He can't do that and then expect to be considered credible. 

Yeah, I don't get this. 

It's obvious the producers hadn't done their homework (or didn't care).  Why would they allow Goldstein to say this if he's on record saying something completely different. 

On 1/31/2021 at 12:23 PM, Blackstar said:

If you care to watch it:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5360-2021-01-30-reelz-axl-rose-guns-n-roses-frontman

(misses about 20 seconds in the end)  EDIT: It's complete now.

I had to remove the video because of copyright notice. 

12 hours ago, reayj2003 said:

Yes, obviously they used that footage without the band's permission. The copyright strike (see above) came from RIAA, which means it's about the contained footage and not the program itself. I wonder if there'll be action against Reelz, because it will be ridiculous if they only have shared videos taken down because of the use of copyrighted material but let Reelz continue broadcasting it.

• Sad 1

On 1/27/2021 at 9:46 AM, Dean said:

This will still be a decent watch despite the horrendous reenactments.  Hopefully Tom gives us insight into his storage locker! Ha.

Hopefully this becomes available for those of us across the pond.

I know the people they got to portray Axl and the band sucked. Wish they would have had cell phones back then to record the real events. it was cool to see interviews of Axl I've never seen before. And I liked how his friends did it because they love Axl and wanted to get the real story instead of just bashing him all the time.

And I agree Axl seems very happier now, which is a good thing. It's a good thing when we get older we realize how important it is to make our lives easier and let go of the shit that just fucks up your life.

Now if we can get rid of covid and get the bands out touring again.

38 minutes ago, downzy said:

Yeah, I don't get this. 

It's obvious the producers hadn't done their homework (or didn't care).  Why would they allow Goldstein to say this if he's on record saying something completely different. 

Doug Goldstein was quoted saying the same story in Mick Wall's book, which was a U-turn from what he had been saying previously in regards to this issue. Mick Wall seems to have been involved in the script of the Reelz program: it was basically a summary of his book with the addition of the psychologist and Lesley Ann-Jones (who I don't think ever wrote anything about the band). After Wall's book was published, Doug retracted in interviews and went back to his earlier version of events. And now he changed back to what he said in Mick Wall's book.  

So I guess he's going to change again?

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I had to remove the video because of copyright notice. 

Yes, obviously they used that footage without the band's permission. The copyright strike (see above) came from RIAA, which means it's about the contained footage and not the program itself. I wonder if there'll be action against Reelz, because it will be ridiculous if they only have shared videos taken down because of the use of copyrighted material but let Reelz continue broadcasting it.

I postponed to watch it, and now is take down.

7 hours ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

You can see tears in his eyes when he's talking about how Axl was suicidal and how he had to talk him out of it. I don't think he's lying there. I think he's also overall sincere about how much he loved Axl.

Whether he's deliberately lying about some other things, I can't say. Maybe his memory fails him from time to time or maybe there's a different explanation. For example, maybe both Goldstein and Niven went looking for that bandana so neither is lying.

He fakes cries on the spot man. I heard him do it on a podcast and it felt phony as fuck.

11 hours ago, fabrph5 said:

I watched this yesterday.  I thought they did really well explaining how his childhood effected his entire life.  They mentioned family alot and tied Beta and her family pertaining to how much it means to him and how it changed him.  There is not doubt that Axl who came out of hibernation is 100% the opposite the person who went in.  It was interesting that they mentioned him going on lithium and how it mellowed him, but he couldnt create, so he stopped taking it.  Explains alot of the lack of new music etc

I wonder if he ended up going back on lithium?  would explain his better mood, weight gain and lack of new material.   not that it matters, because I'm genuinely happy for him if he is happy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

I finished watching it today, what a joke of a documentary. Their timeline is off and a lot of it is very inaccurate. The only parts that I thought were worth watching were the bits with Monica and when Vicky is showing the apartment they stayed in. Never seen that before.

Yeah, the apartment tour was pretty funny. She was like "I think this was the actual tub."😄 I don't know but the guys looked like they probably didn't use it that often anyway. And it was hilarious when she said she would barricade herself in the bedroom. Not because she was afraid for herself but they were just lunatics.

• Haha 1

Wait I’m confused about something...

Wasnt Doug Goldstein the tour manager during the AFD era, when Niven was the main manager? If so, then who is that John Reese guy? Was he the tour manager during UYI? I always assumed that was Del James, who (if I recall correctly) has been their tour manager since at least the CD era, right?

EDIT: nevermind just looked it up. Apparently Del has always been their road manager, not their tour manager. Apparently there’s a difference! Also apparently Reese’s first time working as the band’s tour manager was for the stones gigs in 1989. But wasn’t Goldstein still the tour manager at that time? And Niven still the main manager? I guess Reese was just Goldstein’s assistant or something for those 1989 gigs.

Edited by rocknroll41

15 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Wait I’m confused about something...

Wasnt Doug Goldstein the tour manager during the AFD era, when Niven was the main manager? If so, then who is that John Reese guy? Was he the tour manager during UYI? I always assumed that was Del James, who (if I recall correctly) has been their tour manager since at least the CD era, right?

EDIT: nevermind just looked it up. Apparently Del has always been their road manager, not their tour manager. Apparently there’s a difference! Also apparently Reese’s first time working as the band’s tour manager was for the stones gigs in 1989. But wasn’t Goldstein still the tour manager at that time? And Niven still the main manager? I guess Reese was just Goldstein’s assistant or something for those 1989 gigs.

It appears that Doug Goldstein was promoted to co-manager (while still also being tour manager) along with Alan Niven either at the time of the Aerosmith tour in 1988 or in 1989.

• Like 1