Any theories why Axl is such a prolific tourer in the last decade?

Obviously it’s all about the money, tho yeah I do find it a little weird that he didn’t do too many shows in 2000-2009 (after not having done any at all really from 1994-1999) and then suddenly he did a whole bunch of shows from 2010 and onward. Guess he needed to get the release of ChiDem out of his system first.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1 dollar 2 dollar 3 dollar...  

People that think rockstars are automatically rich and set for life don't realize the vast majority of rockstars go broke, and when you are making money in the late 80's/early 90's expenses rise to in

Money.   /Thread.

Touring is definitely one of the most surefire ways for any band, small or large, to net the most money nowadays so that definitely plays a part in it.  Back with nuGNR I am guessing it was a way of survival whereas nowadays with the reunion it is a way of gaining the most amount of money possible lol

35 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Obviously it’s all about the money, tho yeah I do find it a little weird that he didn’t do too many shows in 2000-2009 (after not having done any at all really from 1994-1999) and then suddenly he did a whole bunch of shows from 2010 and onward. Guess he needed to get the release of ChiDem out of his system first.

"Money" is always the easiest answer one can come up with in questions like this (as is evident from most replies in this thread), but the fact you pointed out in the bolded part indicates that there's a lot more to it, as I suggested in my previous post.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

"Money" is always the easiest answer one can come up with in questions like this (as is evident from most replies in this thread), but the fact you pointed out in the bolded part indicates that there's a lot more to it, as I suggested in my previous post.

Do you know much more about the Azoff stuff?

7 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Do you know much more about the Azoff stuff?

Settlements Reached In Lawsuits Between Axl Rose And Former Manager

(CNS) Posted Tuesday June 14, 2011 – 3:05pm

Lawsuits between Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose and his former manager concerning commissions and concert touring have been resolved, attorneys for both sides told a judge today.

"They were settled to the mutual satisfaction of the parties," said attorney Howard King on behalf of the singer's ex-manager, Irving Azoff.

The resolutions were announced on the day Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Rita Miller had scheduled trial of the two cases between the rocker and Azoff.

No terms were divulged. But after a preliminary accord was reached, lawyers for Rose filed papers stating that the final accord would involve "a comprehensive touring agreement in which Guns 'N Roses would perform at various...venues."

[...]

https://web.archive.org/web/20110620203651/https://bhcourier.com/article/Local/Local/Settlements_Reached_In_Lawsuits_Between_Axl_Rose_And_Former_Manager/76718

[...] And his current tour is part of a settlement agreement with former GNR manager (and Live Nation Entertainment executive chairman) Irving Azoff that dictated the band do a number of performances with Live Nation as the promoter, and Rose is worried that it’s not being properly marketed. He and Guns N’ Roses bring this tour to the Forum on Wednesday night. [...]

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-xpm-2011-dec-21-la-et-12-20-axl-rose-interview-20111221-story.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

^ Every time I see stuff like this, I’m always fascinated by this concept where you have tons of friends and contacts in the music industry and yet fail repeatedly to hire a proper manager who doesn’t just want to screw you over. And since that doesn’t work, you go to another extreme, you say "to hell with it, I’ll do it myself" and entrust a bunch of incompetent hacks to run your management and PR...
I mean, how does this happen ffs? 

• Like 4

Theory #1 - he is delusional and thinks if they tour enough CD will finally break

Theory #2 - the only creative angle he knows is make product bigger and longer. Figures he will tour NITL until its the highest grossing tour of all time, even if it takes 15 years.

Theory #3 - he needs the cash. It ain’t cheap to pay a band, studio and producers for over a decade to pretend to be working toward something

Theory #4 - his nanny told him he had to

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

^ Every time I see stuff like this, I’m always fascinated by this concept where you have tons of friends and contacts in the music industry and yet fail repeatedly to hire a proper manager who doesn’t just want to screw you over. And since that doesn’t work, you go to another extreme, you say "to hell with it, I’ll do it myself" and entrust a bunch of incompetent hacks to run your management and PR...

If Azoff or Doc Mcghee aren't proper managers, I really don't know who could it be... Maybe Axl wants a yes men managers like Doug Goldstein or Team Brazil ... Maybe instead of blaming managers or Team Brazil people should blame the right person...

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

If Azoff or Doc Mcghee aren't proper managers, I really don't know who could it be... Maybe Axl wants a yes men managers like Doug Goldstein or Team Brazil ... Maybe instead of blaming managers or Team Brazil people should blame the right person...

I believe that's what I've just done. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Through the 90's Axl was probably livin of the money he did with GNR on the late 80's a early 90's ... By late 90's and early 2000 he was probably living out the advanced money for Chinese and some of the releases Live Era, Greatest Hits and the last breath of Record Sales... When that stopped we started to see Axl touring more... Like 2006, 2007... People say that helped Axl finish Chinese and keep the finances rolling...

Remember Axl made  a deal of Publishing rights to sanctuary in 2005

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I believe that's what I've just done. 

I know... But it wasn't a failure of hiring proper managers... GNR hired 2 or 3 proper managers on the 2000's ... And Axl burnt all that bridges... With managers, promoters, record company... You name it. To a point that only a reunion could make  him continue making money the way he used to.

And that was something proper managers were trying to say those times...

Edited by Beto 22
10 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

I know... But it wasn't a failure of hiring proper managers... GNR hired 2 or 3 proper managers on the 2000's ... And Axl burnt all that bridges... With managers, promoters, record company... You name it. To a point that only a reunion could make  him continue making money the way he used to.

And that was something proper managers were trying to say those times...

I’m not saying he didn’t make mistakes, but there were reasons for his disputes with at least some of those people. Their pushing him towards a reunion, telling him the new songs suck etc., see his chats. I think he should have just kept trying to find a suitable guy, let some of his music friends recommend someone, give them a trial period... anything but this. Oh well. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately when it comes to Axl no one knows or will ever know what he is thinking.  I don’t buy that he is doing it for the money argument.  Axl had plenty of money.   He is a single guy and one of the biggest rock stars on the planet.   He also doesn’t travel with a huge posse like the rap stars.  I really think he just gave up and accepted that the new band idea failed and that he might as well tour and tour while he can.  I am still hoping the addition of Slash and Duff ignites a spark but that’s looking less and less likely 

Edited by yourcrazy
Spelling
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Settlements Reached In Lawsuits Between Axl Rose And Former Manager

(CNS) Posted Tuesday June 14, 2011 – 3:05pm

Lawsuits between Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose and his former manager concerning commissions and concert touring have been resolved, attorneys for both sides told a judge today.

"They were settled to the mutual satisfaction of the parties," said attorney Howard King on behalf of the singer's ex-manager, Irving Azoff.

The resolutions were announced on the day Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Rita Miller had scheduled trial of the two cases between the rocker and Azoff.

No terms were divulged. But after a preliminary accord was reached, lawyers for Rose filed papers stating that the final accord would involve "a comprehensive touring agreement in which Guns 'N Roses would perform at various...venues."

[...]

https://web.archive.org/web/20110620203651/https://bhcourier.com/article/Local/Local/Settlements_Reached_In_Lawsuits_Between_Axl_Rose_And_Former_Manager/76718

[...] And his current tour is part of a settlement agreement with former GNR manager (and Live Nation Entertainment executive chairman) Irving Azoff that dictated the band do a number of performances with Live Nation as the promoter, and Rose is worried that it’s not being properly marketed. He and Guns N’ Roses bring this tour to the Forum on Wednesday night. [...]

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-xpm-2011-dec-21-la-et-12-20-axl-rose-interview-20111221-story.html

Cheers mate, really helpful!

6 hours ago, jamillos said:

Honestly, it's just the case for Axl 'cause he's a pathetic frontman.

Tell me why for decades everything goes so normal and smooth for Metallica, ACDC, Foo Fighters, Iron Maiden, Rolling Stones, Korn, Dream Theater and tons of other famous bands?

+ their toilet clearners do toilet cleaning and professional managers do managing.

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, jamillos said:

I’m not saying he didn’t make mistakes, but there were reasons for his disputes with at least some of those people. Their pushing him towards a reunion, telling him the new songs suck etc., see his chats. I think he should have just kept trying to find a suitable guy, let some of his music friends recommend someone, give them a trial period... anything but this. Oh well. 

Of course managers wanted a reunion... The golden eggs were in the classic line up getting back together... If Axl didn't want it at the time, he should've understand things would be scaled down... He wanted reunion type amount of money with the nu line up... If he really wanted to "fight" for the new line up, he should get some up and coming manager , not someone who makes multi million dollars deal with the biggest acts ... Axl should have cut down costs, not private plane and tour buses... Not insisting in arenas tours when he couldn't sold out them... Maybe a couple of theaters tours tryin' to get some new fan base...

It's hard to maintain a top manager when the "talent" doesn't want to hear what top manager has to say

Money is a factor in everyone's life, but I don't think it's the primary motivation for it this time. Axl and Slash knew there was big money in a reunion for years and they still refused. Their feelings of betrayal were deeper and bigger than money. 

My honest belief, he lost his drive with NuGNR after band members left, managers and labels didn't fully back him doing NuGNR, lawsuits, and other bullshit happened. I think the wind went out of his sails on it and it's hard to blame him. Listen to ChiDem leaks. Those songs were close to done in 01. Then new producers came in, kept having him redo it, yada yada, and the troubles started and eventually he felt he couldn't go further.

Then after a little bit of this, Duff brings Axl & Slash together and since they've mended fences and his other project is more or less over, why not tour and cash the fuck in?

Bottom line: if it was all solely about money the reunion would have happened years before it did.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, billie said:

This iteration of GNR and the previous iteration toured non stop, doing multiple European and North America  tours on the same tour sometimes. 

They even when ahead with a concert in Mexico when every other band had ceased touring due to covid 

It's almost as if the mafia or Satan has some kind of hold over him and making him tour non stop to repay unpaid debts

Duh. It pays the bills and he doesn't have to release new music. And what else is going to do when not touring?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

Money is a factor in everyone's life, but I don't think it's the primary motivation for it this time. Axl and Slash knew there was big money in a reunion for years and they still refused.

Axl refused... Slash was ok with a reunion at least since 2006.

Guns N' Roses keep touring because Axl Rose as an artist has been dry for quite some time.

He should have retired himself and the brand in 2017 after the reunion (when his voice was still decent)

The question is why does Axl care about money at this point in his life, when he was younger he seemed to not care about money and did everything by his rules, he already has more money than he will ever need, and as far as we know he does not have any kids so it is not like he wants to leave a large inheritance to them, so why is he now concerned about money?