Any theories why Axl is such a prolific tourer in the last decade?

7 hours ago, yourcrazy said:

Unfortunately when it comes to Axl no one knows or will ever know what he is thinking.  I don’t buy that he is doing it for the money argument.  Axl had plenty of money.   He is a single guy and one of the biggest rock stars on the planet.   He also doesn’t travel with a huge posse like the rap stars.  I really think he just gave up and accepted that the new band idea failed and that he might as well tour and tour while he can.  I am still hoping the addition of Slash and Duff ignites a spark but that’s looking less and less likely 

3 hours ago, k12 said:

The question is why does Axl care about money at this point in his life, when he was younger he seemed to not care about money and did everything by his rules, he already has more money than he will ever need, and as far as we know he does not have any kids so it is not like he wants to leave a large inheritance to them, so why is he now concerned about money? 

He's not exactly a single guy, though. He has a family through Beta. That's three generations of people and they all like to live large. If Axl is as fond of Beta as he used to be, he probably wants to make as much money as he can for her and her family.

On 1/29/2021 at 3:55 PM, Tom2112 said:

Not true, he hurt is foot on the UYI tour and continued on with a boot for support, he sliced his hand that time on the stand and continued. The only time he walked was when someone threw a bottle or he was having a mental breakdown... which happened a lot from 1989-2014😄

True, but what about the times he never showed up, or showed up late? Too many examples of those to list. Either way, the mental breakdowns aren’t happening or at least they seem like they aren’t. Also, I imagine the bottles quit getting thrown when he started showing up on time. 
but don’t get me wrong, I actually dug the late starts, it built the anticipation, but most of my friends would be pissed about it. I think the general concert going crowd shares their thoughts about it. 

3 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

True, but what about the times he never showed up, or showed up late? Too many examples of those to list. Either way, the mental breakdowns aren’t happening or at least they seem like they aren’t. Also, I imagine the bottles quit getting thrown when he started showing up on time. 
but don’t get me wrong, I actually dug the late starts, it built the anticipation, but most of my friends would be pissed about it. I think the general concert going crowd shares their thoughts about it. 

Maybe I dreamed this or something but reading this an Axl retort to a pissed off crowd came to mind. Axl said something like, "you wouldn't mind it being so late if you were getting laid."  Does anyone remember that happening?

24 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

Mental breakdowns ? Maybe he didn’t go on stage on time because he was an ego maniac who believed his own hype. This isn’t at you but I hate people trotting out the mental health excuse when they do stupid shit. There are people in this world and I know a few who have genuine mental health issues and it’s awful to see people suffering and now it seems that every celebrity who is shown up as a intolerant jackass uses the mental health excuse. How about not being a cunt because you’re famous ? I’m not exactly a huge Ricky gervais fan but his hosting of the golden globes last year was brilliant. Famous people are of course entitled to their views and opinions but those view and opinions are no more valid then anyone else’s. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Maybe I dreamed this or something but reading this an Axl retort to a pissed off crowd came to mind. Axl said something like, "you wouldn't mind it being so late if you were getting laid."  Does anyone remember that happening?

I can't remember if he said that at a show, but he did say it in an interview:

Q: Let's say a fan stopped you on the street and said: "Listen, I bought all your records, but I'm sick of your bullshit. I come to show and you're two hours late, and I have to work the next day. You don't give a fuck about me."

Axl: If I didn't give a fuck about them, I'd come out and do a shitty show. I'd come out and tell 'em to fuck off. I'd sit down, sing the songs off-key and just not care. But I do care, and I also care too much about myself to do that. It's confusing to me that people go, "Well, I have to work in the morning." If you were getting laid, you wouldn't be so worried about what time it was. I know it's complicated, but so is getting onstage. And I'm sorry. I try to make it up by coming out and doing a good show and explaining as much as I can about what was going on in my head and why we weren't there.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t544-1992-04-02-rolling-stone-the-gn-r-leader-discusses-his-appetite-for-destruction-axl

• Thanks 2

Yeah I agree with you for the most part. I think most of his late starts were because of ego. But I do think a few of them were him being in a bad mental state. The time they opened for the stones comes to mind, they had to send a crew to go find him. Also the day they signed their record contract apparently he was flipping out because he lost a contact or something and they found him on the roof of a building or something. Crazy stuff, if it’s to be believed. I do think the majority of the late starts were just because of being a rockstar ego maniac that knew he could do it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I can't remember if he said that at a show, but he did say it in an interview:

Q: Let's say a fan stopped you on the street and said: "Listen, I bought all your records, but I'm sick of your bullshit. I come to show and you're two hours late, and I have to work the next day. You don't give a fuck about me."

Axl: If I didn't give a fuck about them, I'd come out and do a shitty show. I'd come out and tell 'em to fuck off. I'd sit down, sing the songs off-key and just not care. But I do care, and I also care too much about myself to do that. It's confusing to me that people go, "Well, I have to work in the morning." If you were getting laid, you wouldn't be so worried about what time it was. I know it's complicated, but so is getting onstage. And I'm sorry. I try to make it up by coming out and doing a good show and explaining as much as I can about what was going on in my head and why we weren't there.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t544-1992-04-02-rolling-stone-the-gn-r-leader-discusses-his-appetite-for-destruction-axl

Yup, I'm sure that's what I was remembering. Thanks.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Beto 22 said:

Axl refused... Slash was ok with a reunion at least since 2006.

Slash was on Piers Morgan in 2012 and said:

"You've got a situation where no one wants to revisit - it's not just me, it's the whole band. So I don't think there's a price tag that anybody's going to put in front of us that's going to make that work."

23 hours ago, k12 said:

The question is why does Axl care about money at this point in his life, when he was younger he seemed to not care about money and did everything by his rules, he already has more money than he will ever need, and as far as we know he does not have any kids so it is not like he wants to leave a large inheritance to them, so why is he now concerned about money? 

Who's to say that was the case prior to 2016? I mean, yes, AFD and UYI sold a lot, but beyond that? If statements are to believed they made little to no money on the UYI tour. From '93 to '06 there wasn't much touring going on (and whatever tour they did created more problems), but a freeloading brazilian family to take care of. And only from '06 to '14 there was regular touring, which could be seen as making up for the 13 years before that, getting finances right. Since '16 the real band is back, making real money and the touring for them is a walk in the park really. Why would he stop being celebrated around the world, reclaiming his crown, making good money along the way doing concerts at a leisurly pace, being pampered in 5 star hotels and private planes? Especially knowing that when he stops touring the band will fall apart once more and most likely it will be over then. As that point will come anyway, as he's not getting younger and his voice is not getting better.

3 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

Slash was on Piers Morgan in 2012 and said:

"You've got a situation where no one wants to revisit - it's not just me, it's the whole band. So I don't think there's a price tag that anybody's going to put in front of us that's going to make that work."

Yeah, what Slash says publicly and what he really wants to, as time has shown, are 2 completely different things...

There at least 2 or 3 times he was ready to do a reunion... 1 of them was probably the cause of the Fallout between Azzoff and Axl

15 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

Yeah, what Slash says publicly and what he really wants to, as time has shown, are 2 completely different things...

There at least 2 or 3 times he was ready to do a reunion... 1 of them was probably the cause of the Fallout between Azzoff and Axl

That may be, but moral of the story is if Axl just wanted the dough he would have cashed in on it years ago. 

1 hour ago, BangoSkank said:

That may be, but moral of the story is if Axl just wanted the dough he would have cashed in on it years ago. 

Maybe the time came where he actually needed the money. A person on the documentary that I watched last night, I cant recall who it was, said that Axl was nearly broke prior to the reunion. But who knows.

45 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Maybe the time came where he actually needed the money. A person on the documentary that I watched last night, I cant recall who it was, said that Axl was nearly broke prior to the reunion. But who knows.

I won't put statements on people finances cause I don't have any knowledge about it... But the rumour was that Slash was in a bad position financially  after the divorce ...

• Like 2

People saying "money" and insinuating it is simply down to greed, that's not a clever answer, too simplistic. If his only motivation was greed he wouldn't have spent most of the UYI tour only breaking even. 

I would speculate a lot of his post CD touring was necessary to cover huge debts for studio time etc. On that Kimmel interview he half joked about not making any money. I would also guess that he has since continued to tour to accumulate a retirement fund and just maybe because he's actually enjoying it.

Edited by Nice Boy

4 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

People saying "money" and insinuating it is simply down to greed, that's not a clever answer, too simplistic. If his only motivation was greed he wouldn't have spent most of the UYI tour only breaking even. 

I would speculate a lot of his post CD touring was necessary to cover huge debts for studio time etc. On that Kimmel interview he half joked about not making any money. I would also guess that he has since continued to tour to accumulate a retirement fund and just maybe because he's actually enjoying it.

Not him but the majority of the artists of that time didn't see touring as a profitable market... It was just a tool to promote and sell records... So he could spend as much as they want because:

He would probably have a large tour support from the record company
He did the skin and bones tour just to make a profit since the Get In The Ring just broke even...