Axl & DJ Ashba

44 minutes ago, reayj2003 said:

Depends which year. 2010 was a good selling tour. First night at o2 sold out, Birmingham & Manchester must have been close. I was at those three.

2012 Liverpool, Glasgow & London O2 night one were packed. Admittedly Newcastle wasn’t and the second o2 show was noticeably empty. I got very cheap seats that night.
considering they played so many uk city’s it did well. 

I thoroughly enjoyed all those shows. Glasgow 2012 In particular was a great show.

They did the free tickets in 2010 too. Pretty sure they closed off some of the Arena sections in Manchester that year, as I recall as well. Can't remember on that one. I was annoyed as I actually bought tickets in 2010....only to later find they were giving them away free! 

Liverpool and Glasgow had absolutely loads of free ones in 2012 too. I got my friends some free ones in Liverpool.....and the lazy gits didn't even bother going! 

I never really understood why they booked so many UK dates really, as other than 2002/2006 they were always giving them away free. Seemed an odd choice.....but not really any complaints! If they want to give away the tickets for free, I'll happily take advantage of that! It meant I could take some people along with me that wouldn't ever have paid, which was fun.....even if they were totally baffled by the whole show! 

Given that dismal Las Vegas performance this year (those clips sounded just sad) and the less than stellar Selects clips from the more recent shows, I reckon we might end up with some more free tickets at some point. In the absence of new material/a radically different set, it would probably take that to make me go again, as it stands. 

Edited by allwaystired

6 hours ago, reayj2003 said:

Just watching some gigs from 2010-14 and it strikes me, as it did at the time, that there was a chemistry and ease between Axl & DJ onstage that I’d argue I don’t see between Slash and him.

I’m aware DJ wasn’t a huge hit with certain fans & hope this thread won’t become a let’s criticise DJ one. I’m just interested in what others think on this observation. There seemed to be a closeness. 

I agree could be because they both were born in Illinois

But when I did see Axl and Slash and Duff 4 years ago Axl and Slash did get together. Not like the early days, but you see the magic was still there.

I remember back when DJ was still in the band someone said he saw him and Axl going to a party together and you could tell they were tight, but then DJ said a couple years ago that he and Axl hadn’t spoken since he quit (and I doubt that’s changed since). Sounds like whenever someone quits the band, Axl stops talking to them, even if they got along well. Can’t say I fully blame Axl if that’s the case, though, as I imagine it must feel like talking to an ex-girlfriend or something. Even if the breakup was nice and mutual, continuing to speak to them afterwards still feels awkward.

Edited by rocknroll41

54 minutes ago, reayj2003 said:

Yeah, Dublin 2010 didn’t go well I seem to remember. I heard the Dublin 2012 was a good show however. They played TWAT.

2012 was a good show! That was the first time hearing TWAT, Axl was pretty good for the majority too. Although he didn't learn his lesson, he fame on after 10 like 2010, but the crowd were much less drunk and angry so there wasn't any disasters.

What is odd is Axl really liked DJ, that was obvious, that metal show, stage connection, Axl even went with Ashba to watch the rolling stones live. Everyone says Axl is incredibly loyal, yet ashba says they no longer talk? Ashba may have officially left, but in reality he was pushed out. When slash was coming back there was no room for Dj no matter what contract axl may or may not have sent. DJ knew that. So maybe Axl isn't this great loyal guy he used to be, or he simply doesn;t consider anyone in the band a real friend, and once they're out the band, they're our of his life.

As for comparisons with Slash, I don't think DJ ever tried to be like Slash. Yes he wore a top hat, but lots of people do. It was nothing like slash's. He didn't play the slash solos as well as slash does live, but his versions of Sorry, This I Love and on Better are waaaay better than the junk paced noodling slash is offering. GnR 2010 Live were much better than the reunion line up. Just tnew(ish) album promotion, Axl still caring and being able to actually sing. Way more energy too. 2016 was ok. 2006 was great. The only thing that can save the current band is a new album. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

BS. 

There's a difference between "I like how the original sounds" and what Slash does on TIL. There seems to be zero consideration for structure, it starts fast, the middles fast and the ends faster... As traditional solos go, it's a great example of doing it wrong. If Slash played on that song in the 90s he would have put a far more restrained structured and melodic solo on it... the Slash of today plays a solo that has more to do with technique than soul... which is funny considering you bashed the guitar players who replaced him for having no soul. 

IF Slash played something completely different but beautiful I wouldn't have a problem with him changing the solo. The original is a well put together emotive solo that lifts the song, the current one is absolutely boring, doesn't serve the song however it does serve Slash's ego though. 

DJ Ashba butchered it too, but that's to be expected. I think everyone here before 2016 would have said that Slash would rule on that solo. I don't think anyone would expect such a mixed reaction to the top 

TIL would have been an entirely different and in my opinion much better song if recorded with an older lineup. It is one of the more cringeworthy songs for me in the Guns catalog, especially the guitar work. 

• Like 1

I've probably trolled DJ more than anyone on the board but I'll try to steer clear of it with my reply-

I think Axl brought DJ to GN'R for two reasons 1) money/sponsorships (see: Monster can on the piano during November Rain) and 2) DJs younger fan base. 

The first one is an obvious plus because the sponsorships helped keep those tours afloat. The second one was probably a perception issue because Sixx:AM was pretty popular at the time. 

20 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I've probably trolled DJ more than anyone on the board but I'll try to steer clear of it with my reply-

I think Axl brought DJ to GN'R for two reasons 1) money/sponsorships (see: Monster can on the piano during November Rain) and 2) DJs younger fan base. 

The first one is an obvious plus because the sponsorships helped keep those tours afloat. The second one was probably a perception issue because Sixx:AM was pretty popular at the time. 

I remember at the 2011 show in Chicago over the speakers before the opener a few popular Sixx:A.M. songs playing.

31 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

What is odd is Axl really liked DJ, that was obvious, that metal show, stage connection, Axl even went with Ashba to watch the rolling stones live. Everyone says Axl is incredibly loyal, yet ashba says they no longer talk? Ashba may have officially left, but in reality he was pushed out. When slash was coming back there was no room for Dj no matter what contract axl may or may not have sent. DJ knew that. So maybe Axl isn't this great loyal guy he used to be, or he simply doesn;t consider anyone in the band a real friend, and once they're out the band, they're our of his life.

As for comparisons with Slash, I don't think DJ ever tried to be like Slash. Yes he wore a top hat, but lots of people do. It was nothing like slash's. He didn't play the slash solos as well as slash does live, but his versions of Sorry, This I Love and on Better are waaaay better than the junk paced noodling slash is offering. GnR 2010 Live were much better than the reunion line up. Just tnew(ish) album promotion, Axl still caring and being able to actually sing. Way more energy too. 2016 was ok. 2006 was great. The only thing that can save the current band is a new album. 

Downzy said DJ absolutely did not quit because Slash was returning, and that as of July 2015 Axl was still working on CD II with no plans for a reunion. In November 2014, Richard said Axl was taking riffs that he and Ashba wrote and splicing them into other songs. Ashba may have realized he wasn't getting credits on the next album, (Axl didn't give Richard a credit for the Better chorus riff) and bolted. He perhaps expected Axl to take his "12 demos" and write completely new stuff for them, but like Slash in the 94-96 era, he learned Axl just doesn't write that way anymore. I'm probably wrong, just a thought.

19 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Downzy said DJ absolutely did not quit because Slash was returning, and that as of July 2015 Axl was still working on CD II with no plans for a reunion. In November 2014, Richard said Axl was taking riffs that he and Ashba wrote and splicing them into other songs. Ashba may have realized he wasn't getting credits on the next album, (Axl didn't give Richard a credit for the Better chorus riff) and bolted. He perhaps expected Axl to take his "12 demos" and write completely new stuff for them, but like Slash in the 94-96 era, he learned Axl just doesn't write that way anymore. I'm probably wrong, just a thought.

Ashba did hint at the fact he left to make way for Slash though as I recall, but not at the time he actually left. It came later in answer to a fan question I think. Someone else may remember better than me. 

1 hour ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

TIL would have been an entirely different and in my opinion much better song if recorded with an older lineup. It is one of the more cringeworthy songs for me in the Guns catalog, especially the guitar work. 

Makes no odds to me what you like, I know it's an absolutely brilliant solo and the song itself is a GNR standout. That's enough for me😃

How you could possibly know that TIL would be any better if the early 90s line up recorded it, I have no idea! Crystal ball? besides that you're talking from your arse!😉

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Makes no odds to me what you like, I know it's an absolutely brilliant solo and the song itself is a GNR standout. That's enough for me😃

How you could possibly know that TIL would be any better if the early 90s line up recorded it, I have no idea! Crystal ball? besides that you're talking from your arse!😉

Because in my opinion, Slash is superior to every other guitarist Axl has worked with combined. 

Edited by HollyWoodRose84
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I agree could be because they both were born in Illinois

But when I did see Axl and Slash and Duff 4 years ago Axl and Slash did get together. Not like the early days, but you see the magic was still there.

Axl and Dj were born in INDIANA.

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

This is, I suppose, the downside for those who joined GN'R for the Chinese Democracy recording and tours, that there would be people (and quite a lot of people) who would always be convinced that their predecessors were infinitely better musicians purely because of who they were.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Give Slash literally a million years and he couldn't come up with something like Electric Tears or Whitewash.

They are great instrumental albums. I put Bucket in the same group as Satriani and Steve Vai but you can’t compare him to Slash. That’s like comparing Joe Perry to Yngwie Malmsteen. 

I saw Ashba in Toronto at least twice. Once at the ACC, and once at the Docks club venue.

They did have great chemistry, and to be honest Ashba was fukn killer with his energy and us fans.

At the time. 2010 tour, the GA tickets still were proper GA tickets, so my uncle, cousin, brother and myself stormed the front of the stage early. 

Ashba jumped off stage and Solo'd Paradise City outtro in our arms!

And Axl had his security guard give us a shot of tequila right after. Fkn wild.  So chemistry wise, in my case, was incredible and lively.

Slash is a fkn Legend and always #1 tho lol

12 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Slash returning showed that the last 7 guitarists (minus Fortus) Axl recorded with and toured with all lacked one thing. 

Soul. 

good one. If anything, it showed not everything that comes from Slash is great (even if he is a brilliant player) and the main players of Chinese did great work that could have only been created by them. Bucket's Sorry solo for example sounds mournful and Robin's simple Twat solo is pure emotion imo.

• Like 2

I prefer not to compare them and just see them as 'different' and hearing what the different guitarists did with the songs provides a small bit of desperately needed variety.......something the band seems to have abandoned now. 

Every guitarist that has been through the band has brought something to enjoy to my ears. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, NTONIUS said:

I saw Ashba in Toronto at least twice. Once at the ACC, and once at the Docks club venue.

They did have great chemistry, and to be honest Ashba was fukn killer with his energy and us fans.

At the time. 2010 tour, the GA tickets still were proper GA tickets, so my uncle, cousin, brother and myself stormed the front of the stage early. 

Ashba jumped off stage and Solo'd Paradise City outtro in our arms!

And Axl had his security guard give us a shot of tequila right after. Fkn wild.  So chemistry wise, in my case, was incredible and lively.

Slash is a fkn Legend and always #1 tho lol

I saw them in Hamilton in 2010 and the same Docks show in 2013.

By 2013 it was clear to me that Ashba had changed in some capacity. I remember being annoyed by him and his girlfriend blocking my view of the stage so he could make out with her. (During either Ron or Tommys solo spot)