Axl & DJ Ashba

I never got the hate for DJ ashba. I mean to his credit after the mess of the 2010 Dublin show he did come out to the back of the arena and spoke to those of us there for a good long time and took pictures and signed autographs for anyone there. It was more than axl or any other of the band did. Even though I don’t fully blame the band for that night because the fans to the bands right(our left) shouldn’t have thrown full bottles at the stage.  The 2012 show was much better and axl sounded great because he couldn’t run around because I think he’d fallen and hurt his led in I think it was Moscow the show previous.

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

That's yet another aspect of GN'R I've always been disappointed in; their online presence. 

DJ had and still has a great handle on how to promote himself online. Although there was a lot I didn't like about DJ, I thought for sure that GN'R would get their online presence fixed while he was in the band, but nope. 

Yeah, i guess he is more business man, but isn't many about his art. Maybe to he the music is most a hobby.

1 hour ago, Beto 22 said:

Because people criticized Ashba for doin' interviews talking about GNR after he left... Something Slash did for 22 years ... But it's ok when Slash does... Just like everything Slash does...

All guitar players were bashed after Slash left because they didn't play note for note what Slash played... Slash comes back and does the same thing, sometimes on his own solos, but now this is ok... This time "it's different"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

One of these men helped launch the band, creatively, and was involved in nearly all their recorded material. 

One of them was a touring hired hand. 

If you can't see the difference between Slash's contribution and connnection to GNR and DJ Ashba's then you're clearly either trolling or absolutely mad. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Beto 22 said:

Nobody... You just quoted someone that pointed out Axl.... We're talking about Fortus in a Dj Ashba thread...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

7 hours ago, Beto 22 said:

Because people criticized Ashba for doin' interviews talking about GNR after he left... Something Slash did for 22 years ... But it's ok when Slash does... Just like everything Slash does...

All guitar players were bashed after Slash left because they didn't play note for note what Slash played... Slash comes back and does the same thing, sometimes on his own solos, but now this is ok... This time "it's different"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

No, if you go back and look you'll see that I was originally talking about Fortus, not Axl or DJ. 

7 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

I never got the hate for DJ ashba. I mean to his credit after the mess of the 2010 Dublin show he did come out to the back of the arena and spoke to those of us there for a good long time and took pictures and signed autographs for anyone there. It was more than axl or any other of the band did. Even though I don’t fully blame the band for that night because the fans to the bands right(our left) shouldn’t have thrown full bottles at the stage.  The 2012 show was much better and axl sounded great because he couldn’t run around because I think he’d fallen and hurt his led in I think it was Moscow the show previous.

I dislike DJ as a musician and I also don't want someone who is primarily a salesman to replace Slash who can sell whatever the fuck he wants cause he's a great guitar player. DJ shamelessly promoted himself and his lame products, putting a lot of effort in building his brand instead of becoming a good enough of a guitar player to be in a band like Gn'R. This dude bragged about beating up some drunk fan and had the nerve to talk about being bullied.

his stage antics were a cringefest, he tried too hard. I even remember a forum member saying how they saw DJ drink on stage and going to puke in the back where he thought no one was watching. He's a poser that didn't deserve the chance to be in Gn'R, that's why I dislike him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I dislike DJ as a musician and I also don't want someone who is primarily a salesman to replace Slash who can sell whatever the fuck he wants cause he's a great guitar player. DJ shamelessly promoted himself and his lame products, putting a lot of effort in building his brand instead of becoming a good enough of a guitar player to be in a band like Gn'R. This dude bragged about beating up some drunk fan and had the nerve to talk about being bullied.

his stage antics were a cringefest, he tried too hard. I even remember a forum member saying how they saw DJ drink on stage and going to puke in the back where he thought no one was watching. He's a poser that didn't deserve the chance to be in Gn'R, that's why I dislike him.

Yes all of this. Like I said earlier, total clown.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

Right. You can have condensed that rant into a simple one line post saying you don’t like him. 

11 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

No, if you go back and look you'll see that I was originally talking about Fortus, not Axl or DJ. 

So it's bad for Fortus talks about GNR in interviews... A band he's been part of for 19 years... Because you think it's self promotion... But it's totally different Slash talkin' about GNR for 19 years he wasn't at GNR for self promotion...

Yeah right...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Beto 22
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

Just like Slash is doin' right now... Like Sorum said in his book for Slash "it's just a gig"

Again- Slash was a vital part of GNR's formation, their music creation and their initial popularity. 

Ashba is none of those things. 

These are simple facts. You refusing to accept them really doesn't change matters. 

• Like 1

These are simple facts, that no one is denying...

Like nobody is denying your double standards regardin people you like and people you don't

I have no particular dislike of DJ Ashba, but I think you may need to look up exactly what 'double standards' means to be honest. 

Hint: it certainly doesn't mean recognising a founding member of a band who has had a huge creative role is somewhat different to that of a competent hired hand, brought in many many years later, who had zero creative input. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I have no particular dislike of DJ Ashba, but I think you may need to look up exactly what 'double standards' means to be honest. 

Hint: it certainly doesn't mean recognising a founding member of a band who has had a huge creative role is somewhat different to that of a competent hired hand, brought in many many years later, who had zero creative input. 

Yeah... It probably means "Should not criticize someone that I like with the same parameters I criticize someone that I don't"

1 minute ago, Beto 22 said:

Yeah... It probably means "Should not criticize someone that I like with the same parameters I criticize someone that I don't"

If you're not trolling and you honestly think DJ Ashba and Slash are of the same level of importance in GNR then I feel a bit sorry for you really. 

My suspicion is that you probably are trolling, and you don't believe that for one second. Which might mean I feel even more sorry for you that you have nothing better to do. 

• Like 1

I don't think Dj or Fortus have the same level of importance than Slash... I just think it's pretty funny when someone point out that Slash did the exactly same thing that Ashba and Fortus do but "it's different" . Just because it's Slash... First it's the action... But wait, Slash did the same... Oh... It's not the action... It's who does it ... 

But it's ok... If it's your prerogative, more power to you... 

let's be honest, the level of importance in GNR 

1. slash

2. Izzy

3. Gilby (as Iz's imminent replacement)

Everyone else, just one of the double diggits in the revolving door band.  what importance or level of remembering does a replacement of a replacement of a replacement of a replacement have!?

22 hours ago, allwaystired said:

One of these men helped launch the band, creatively, and was involved in nearly all their recorded material. 

One of them was a touring hired hand. 

If you can't see the difference between Slash's contribution and connnection to GNR and DJ Ashba's then you're clearly either trolling or absolutely mad. 

Or maybe he's a 10 year old kid.

I don't think Dj or Fortus have the same level of importance than Slash... I just think it's pretty funny when someone point out that Slash did the exactly same thing that Ashba and Fortus do but "it's different" . Just because it's Slash... First it's the action... But wait, Slash did the same... Oh... It's not the action... It's who does it ... 

But it's ok... If it's your prerogative, more power to you... 

Alright, one was joking. Doing that joke again is lame, so we have to assume you actually mean that. In that case, there is no helping you, if you can't see the difference and thus nothing you say can be taken serious. Because you got no clue.

5 hours ago, Beto 22 said:

So it's bad for Fortus talks about GNR in interviews... A band he's been part of for 19 years... Because you think it's self promotion... But it's totally different Slash talkin' about GNR for 19 years he wasn't at GNR for self promotion...

Yeah right...

He's still just a hired touring hand without any creative inputnor say whatsoever. Which after 19 years makes his existance even sadder. Other then concerts he got nothing really to show for and it could be over any day. Would be, if they weren't too cheap to pay Izzy what he wanted.

1 hour ago, Frankfurt93 said:

let's be honest, the level of importance in GNR 

1. slash

2. Izzy

3. Gilby (as Iz's imminent replacement)

Everyone else, just one of the double diggits in the revolving door band.  what importance or level of remembering does a replacement of a replacement of a replacement of a replacement have!?

I'm sorry, but Gilby is not important either. He may be a sentimental favourite, but other than that he's on the same level as Fortus.

On 2/5/2021 at 3:37 PM, IrishgunnerII said:

I never minded DJ as a person, as cheesy as he could be on stage at times or cringey like his "kicked his ass at the hotel" story.  As a guitarist myself, I noticed he took a lot of technical shortcuts and was just generally kind of your generic run of the mill rock guitarist that didn't really impress me much.  And let's not even speak about whatever the hell his Patience outro solo was lmao

Ballad of Death for example, that just reminds me of the stuff I used to play when I first learned how to play the minor pentatonic scale over a Youtube backing track in C#

Edited by WhazUp

35 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Ballad of Death for example, that just reminds me of the stuff I used to play when I first learned how to play the minor pentatonic scale over a Youtube backing track in C#

I like that one. Especially the chorus. Nice and melodic. DJ likes to mix baroque stuff with rock. it doesn't matter how simple a musical piece is (or how complex) imo. But his wobbly bends are a crime.

there are a lot of covers on youtube from better guitar players with much better technique and you can hear how his compositions for the solo spots could have sounded like. DJ is not devoid of talent. He's just not good enough for Gn'R imo. He admitted he doesn't really see himself as mainly a guitar player.

even with his many limitations, I believe Axl could have made a good Guns album with him, Bumble, and Richard.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2