List of band guitarists

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

-  Considered for replacing Izzy in 1991, but didn't audition:  Dave Navarro, Marc Ford, Mick Cocks (Rose Tattoo), Mike Staggs (Axl's friend and bandmate in Indiana who played additional guitar on Ain't It Fun)

- Gilby, 1991-1994, toured and played on the Spaghetti Incident.

- Paul Huge/Tobias: 1994-1997 undefined official status - played on Sympathy for the Devil. 1997-2002: member, played on CD and at four shows.

- Zakk Wylde: Did tryout sessions with the whole band in January 1995. Probably stayed on hold for a few months until he got a fax (from Slash) that he wasn't needed.

- Izzy sort of returned briefly in 1995, did some demos with Duff.

- In 1996 Slash said in an interview that he wanted Ryan Roxie in GnR, but apparently no audition took place.

- Robin Finck, early 1997-August 1999 and late 2000-2008.

- Dave Navarro, played on Oh My God in 1999.

- Gary Sunshine, Axl's guitar teacher, played on Oh My God and a couple of other unknown tracks.

- Rob Holiday (Sulpher and touring member of various bands): laid guitar on "a bunch of tracks" in 1999.

- Brian May, late 1999: Played on CITR, Atlas Shrugged and at least one other song.

- Auditioned as Finck's replacement in 1999: Stevie Salas. A guitarist named Nick Nolan also claimed he auditioned. Probably there were many others that we don't know.

- Considered as Finck's replacements in 1999 but didn't audition:  Zim Zum (declined), Richard Fortus (didn't get to audition because Buckethead got the job). Probably many others that we don't know.

- Buckethead: Christmas 1999-2004.

- In 2000 Axl seemingly asked Izzy to play in Rock in Rio  - and apparently at the HoB, too - but Izzy denied (he also asked for Izzy's 1995 demos).

- Considered for replacing Paul Tobias in 2002, but didn't audition: Marc Ford. There were probably others who auditioned or were just considered that we don't know. Richard Fortus got the job.

- Bumblefoot auditioned/was considered (probably among a bunch of others) as Buckethead's replacement in 2004. But Buckethead wasn't replaced until shortly before the 2006 shows started. 

- Auditioned in 2006: Joshua Craig. Derek Trucks was also likely at least considered. Bumblefoot finally got the job.

- John Sykes auditioned in 2009. DJ Ashba got the job.

-----

I probably forgot someone.

Derek Trucks is interesting, I had read something about that earlier. He's a great player but I have a hard time envisioning him in Guns. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

- In 2000 Axl seemingly asked Izzy to play in Rock in Rio  - and apparently at the HoB, too - but Izzy denied (he also asked for Izzy's 1995 demos).

What? I've never heard about this! Can you tell me something more?

1 minute ago, sakuL_ said:

What? I've never heard about this! Can you tell me something more?

Izzy: Axl called me when he had the plan to play Rock In Rio. I don't believe that he hoped to reform the group as a whole because I am the only one that he called, but, in any event, I declined the offer. Maybe he estimated that his group was not good enough, all the same they had rather positive reviews on the whole. Axl is really a special type, he's too hard to manage. […] I already had this album in preparation and I prefer to leave on the road with my group, I find everything I need there without problems that occur when you're with Axl... 

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4708-2001-06-dd-guitar-bass-france-izzy-top

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, batatadoce said:

Brian May played or at least was supposed to play on rhiad and the beduins. Tommy said it in a recent interview

Really?! Do you have the source for that? Mentality wise, Catcher/Atlas/Perhaps (TBC!) are definitely more Brian May tracks, Rhiad is way more Robin/Bucket!

11 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

Goal is to interview everyone on this list!

So far Gilby, Ryan Roxie, Gary Sunshine, and Richard Fortus. I did interview Bumble for my first radio job before Chinese came out, but he still doesn't want to come on a GNR-themed podcast. Either way, I have a long way to go to complete this list :) 

@SoulMonsterhad a conversation with Mike Staggs a while ago. There's a quote here:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4997-14-november-1991-april-1992-the-biggest-band-in-the-world#19633

So he might be willing to be interviewed on your podcast.

And that guitar tech, Sean Paden, that I've mentioned before could make a good interview (he probably can't talk about the "juicy/dirty" stuff, but he would definitely have interesting stories to tell.

8 hours ago, batatadoce said:

around 10 min.

Thats awesome, thanks for posting.

He's talking about Riad's chorus chords. I've struggled a bit to learn how to play those back in the day haha. 

It's a shame we didn't get to hear his take. It was probably already defined that Robin and Bucket would share the lead back in the Village days. 

21 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

Goal is to interview everyone on this list!

So far Gilby, Ryan Roxie, Gary Sunshine, and Richard Fortus. I did interview Bumble for my first radio job before Chinese came out, but he still doesn't want to come on a GNR-themed podcast. Either way, I have a long way to go to complete this list :) 

Really? I was trying to do the same thing, but really had bad luck with the people I was trying to reach out and I kinda put it on hold. My lead was more into the recording of CD. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Thats awesome, thanks for posting.

He's talking about Riad's chorus chords. I've struggled a bit to learn how to play those back in the day haha. 

It's a shame we didn't get to hear his take. It was probably already defined that Robin and Bucket would share the lead back in the Village days. 

Really? I was trying to do the same thing, but really had bad luck with the people I was trying to reach out and I kinda put it on hold. My lead was more into the recording of CD. 

how far did you get?

18 hours ago, Blackstar said:

-  Considered for replacing Izzy in 1991, but didn't audition:  Dave Navarro, Marc Ford, Mick Cocks (Rose Tattoo), Mike Staggs (Axl's friend and bandmate in Indiana who played additional guitar on Ain't It Fun)

- Gilby, 1991-1994, toured and played on the Spaghetti Incident.

- Paul Huge/Tobias: 1994-1997 undefined official status - played on Sympathy for the Devil. 1997-2002: member, played on CD and at four shows.

- Zakk Wylde: Did tryout sessions with the whole band in January 1995. Probably stayed on hold for a few months until he got a fax (from Slash) that he wasn't needed.

- In 1996 Slash said in an interview that he wanted Ryan Roxie in GnR, but apparently no audition took place.

- Robin Finck, early 1997-August 1999 and late 2000-2008.

- Dave Navarro, played on Oh My God in 1999.

- Gary Sunshine, Axl's guitar teacher, played on Oh My God and a couple of other unknown tracks.

- Rob Holiday (Sulpher and touring member of various bands): laid guitar on "a bunch of tracks" in 1999.

- Brian May, late 1999: Played on CITR, Atlas Shrugged and at least one other song.

- Auditioned as Finck's replacement in 1999: Stevie Salas. A guitarist named Nick Nolan also claimed he auditioned. Probably there were many others that we don't know.

- Considered as Finck's replacements in 1999 but didn't audition:  Zim Zum (declined), Richard Fortus (didn't get to audition because Buckethead got the job). Probably many others that we don't know.

- Buckethead: Christmas 1999-2004.

- Considered for replacing Paul Tobias in 2002, but didn't audition: Marc Ford. There were probably others who auditioned or were just considered that we don't know. Richard Fortus got the job.

- Bumblefoot auditioned/was considered (probably among a bunch of others) as Buckethead's replacement in 2004. But Buckethead wasn't replaced until shortly before the 2006 shows started. 

- Auditioned in 2006: Joshua Craig. Derek Trucks was also likely at least considered. Bumblefoot finally got the job.

- John Sykes auditioned in 2009. DJ Ashba got the job.

-----

I probably forgot someone.

Who the hell is Rob Holiday, literally never heard of him. And he recorded some demos...?!

This list is fantastic though. Thanks. Knew most if these but there's 4 or 5 I didn't know about. Just goes to show what a hell of a revolving door it was.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

how far did you get?

Nowhere, to be honest. Bumble said he wasn't available to talk because he wanted to deal with other stuff while on quarantine. Richard didn't reply. I was about to try to reach Buckethead through a not so good source, but then I had to deal with a lot of stuff on my regular job, so I just put it aside. 

I really really wanted to talk to Robin too, but I didn't know how. 

Just now, Voodoochild said:

Nowhere, to be honest. Bumble said he wasn't available to talk because he wanted to deal with other stuff while on quarantine. Richard didn't reply. I was about to try to reach Buckethead through a not so good source, but then I had to deal with a lot of stuff on my regular job, so I just put it aside. 

I really really wanted to talk to Robin too, but I didn't know how. 

Brain once told me, "a Buckethead interview is harder to get than Axl." I'll keep hoping though. I've emailed Robin a couple of times, but no response :( 

22 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Who the hell is Rob Holiday, literally never heard of him. And he recorded some demos...?!

He is both a guitarist and a singer. He had played with Curve and some other bands. Then he formed a band/duo called Sulpher. In this interview (Metal Hammer, 2001) found in a German (official?) Sulpher website, he talked about GN'R:

Before Sulpher, both Rob and his skins-pounding partner-in-crime Monti were involved with some fairly high profile acts, and between them have played with Curve (an influence you can detect in Sulpher), The Creatures, The Jesus And Mary Chain, and they produced Gary Numan's stunning comeback album. Rob was even one of the selected few dozen to have worked on Guns 'N' Roses long- awaited new album.

''Axl had been a fan of Curve and liked the Sulpher stuff he heard, so he invited me over to LA to lay a bunch of guitar parts down. He has had a whole load of guitarists involved from Dave Navarro to Brian May, so I don't know if any of my parts have survived.'' But if you want tales of megalomania, you'll have to go somewhere else. ''Axl was really coll, genuinely a nice guy, very focused on what he wants,'' says Rob. Sulpher have just put out live favourite One Of Us as a single and they have a debut album planned. And if Sulpher can distil into it half their live power, it should be awesome.

https://web.archive.org/web/20041119013953fw_/http://www.sulpher.de/text/int/01fj02.htm#sbn

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Finck2006 said:

Richie kotzen auditioned for GNR

That would've been cool.

But I can't help but put him in the Bucket and Bumble camp - far too prolific, skilled, and classy to put up with Guns. He would have been bored out his mind. Just look at what he said about Poison.

52 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

That would've been cool.

But I can't help but put him in the Bucket and Bumble camp - far too prolific, skilled, and classy to put up with Guns. He would have been bored out his mind. Just look at what he said about Poison.

Didn't he have a go at Bret Michael's wife? I might be wrong.