Mark Canter podcast about G N' R's first 50 gigs

this will be so cool and for the fans that don't have Marc's book- go buy it!  

I don't believe he is working with the band at all on this which is sad.  I'd love to get some interviews from Axl and the guys (including Izzy) about these gigs. 

its sucks that these guys are still all alive and won't celebrate the legacy the 5 of them created together. 

Edited by Chester 524
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Sosso said:

Do you know if he means the first GN'R gigs since March 26, 1985 or June 6, 1985?

https://www.recklessroad.com/firstfiftygigs

This is what had been done so far (effectively tests)  - it’s 6/6/85 which was covered but seeing as the whole experience is getting an overhaul I don’t know if they will go back further.....depends on if Marc was there at the gig really!

1 hour ago, DurhamGirl said:

I am really looking forward to this, it is just what we need, thanks Marc:rofl-lol:.  I dont understand why the band dont want to celebrate their acheivments, I dont get it.

The only thing that makes sense to me is they're focused on the future only now that they're back together.  Slash, Duff, Steven Matt and Gilby all showed up for RNRHOF induction and acknowledged the past. Axl and Izzy did not.  My guess is Axl is so forward-focused that the other guys have put the reflecting on hold. 

2 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

I am really looking forward to this, it is just what we need, thanks Marc:rofl-lol:.  I dont understand why the band dont want to celebrate their acheivments, I dont get it.

18 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

this will be so cool and for the fans that don't have Marc's book- go buy it!  

I don't believe he is working with the band at all on this which is sad.  I'd love to get some interviews from Axl and the guys (including Izzy) about these gigs. 

its sucks that these guys are still all alive and won't celebrate the legacy the 5 of them created together. 

1 hour ago, WAR41 said:

The only thing that makes sense to me is they're focused on the future only now that they're back together.  Slash, Duff, Steven Matt and Gilby all showed up for RNRHOF induction and acknowledged the past. Axl and Izzy did not.  My guess is Axl is so forward-focused that the other guys have put the reflecting on hold. 

What’s baffling is that Marc is clearly a good friend (I think he is still friends with all of them) and GNR/management wouldn’t have to lift a finger to get all kinds of great PR through this......and yet nothing. GNR/management won’t even allow the holy grail footage to be shown as Marc can’t secure the ‘sync rights’.

If they just endorsed it and allowed some footage to be shown/heard then this thing could literally be goldmine for all concerned.

Again - an ‘easy win’ and yet it’s somehow ‘a draw’.....😤

• Like 3

On 2/16/2021 at 5:58 PM, WAR41 said:

My guess is Axl is so forward-focused that the other guys have put the reflecting on hold. 

I know how you meant it but this is (unintenionally) SO funny and totally contradictory to what we've been experiencing for last 4 years. :-))))

53 minutes ago, Rayno said:

I know how you meant it but this is (unintenionally) SO funny and totally contradictory to what we've been experiencing for last 4 years. :-))))

Hahaha you're right.  Let me rephrase.  In Axl's head he THINKS he's forward thinking and the other guys don't want to mess with his head.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 11:58 AM, WAR41 said:

I agree but have to wonder that if that is really true, why is the set list predominantly made up of songs from 30 years ago?  and they refuse to comment on anything new other than new tour dates?  they have been back together for 5 years now.... I'll be happy to move forward if they are. 

To me, Marc had the best rare GNR content put together. The AFD boxset features a wanna be prototype kind of picture book, but nothing compared to RR.

Reckless Road was just amazing! To see the videos that he has from this era would be the true GNR holy grail!

The thing is: management will probably have GNR's lawyers over Marc like hungry hyenas.

Edited by Legendador
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, AncientEvil80 said:

The only project regarding GNR that I'm interested in. 

Who the fuck cares about new music from three 50+ year old burn-out's who clearly don't care about their early years magic, yet somehow refuse to move forward like some headless chicken. 

Ultimately who cares, we've all grown up and the material to experience the magic of AFD5 is still out there. Never enough, I know, but at least there is something. But when you have someone like Marc who is genuinely working his ass off to exhume this 30+ y.o. footage and archive, a TREASURE TROVE of that magic, the old burn-out dudes don't want anything to do with it all yet again, avoiding any involvement like the plague. Sync rights??? FUCK that shit, it's bootlegs shot by Marc with his own camera, not by the management/label. 

Marc, please publish everything you got. You have NEVER betrayed Axl's loyalty - if anything, it's him who fucked it up. There's enough bullshit in the world as it is right now, so for once when there's the chance of something beautiful and magic coming to light, let's all embrace it. 

The probablitity of us fans being disappointed by new music sounding like a watered version of Chinese Democracy is way to high!

1 hour ago, axlvai said:

I think that are old videos. From the book. 

No - there were 2 podcasts last year based on a gig and slash’s pre GNR bands. It was the success of them that led to what we are soon to get.

The website will likely still have old material from the book however - maybe you were looking at that stuff? The podcasts are definitely new (as of last year anyway). 👍