1992: Axl, the "leader of the Bill Clinton generation"

Just after the 1992 election, right-wing TV/radio personality Rush Limbaugh goes off on nudists and Axl as the definitive examples of the "degenerate" Bill Clinton generation - and Axl one of its "leaders", too:

This article is from last summer:

One of the most memorable commentaries by Conservative icon Rush Limbaugh occurred in the 1990s when the rock band Guns N’ Roses was living up to their reputation of do what you want when you want hard partying bad boys.

The band, having missed several concert dates due to front man Axl Rose being missing in action for a variety of reasons, was coming under increased scrutiny. Rose’s excuses didn’t come close to passing the smell test. Limbaugh boiled it down as simple as simple can get. Axl needed a good spanking. What a wonderful solution to such childlike behavior.

(Then the - apparently conservative and Trump supporting - columnist goes on about how the BLM protesters should be similarly "metaphorically" spanked)

https://www.thesunchronicle.com/opinion/columns/tom-dennison-the-wake-of-woke/article_80b668a2-691e-5f31-99f8-aafe1d759846.html

Rush Limbaugh died of lung cancer yesterday.

Limbaugh demonstrated his fervent support for the Persian Gulf War by ridiculing anyone who sought peace.  [...] The election of President Bill Clinton in 1992 only fueled the possibilities of lacerating satire aimed at Democrats. [...] 

Ever since, Limbaugh maintained his position as the king of talk radio while fending off multiple flaps over controversial things he said on the air, about racial and ethnic minorities, feminism and the notion of sexual consent, environmentalism and climate change, his admiration for Trump and his disdain for President Barack Obama; Limbaugh was an on-air superspreader of the "birtherism" lie that Obama was not born in the USA, and called activist women "feminazis." [...]

When actor Michael J. Fox, suffering from Parkinson’s disease, appeared in a Democratic campaign commercial, Limbaugh mocked his tremors. As the AIDS epidemic raged in the 1980s, he made dying a punchline. He called 12-year-old Chelsea Clinton a dog. 

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2021/02/17/rush-limbaugh-conservative-radio-host-has-died-lung-cancer-70/5998621002/

At the height of his influence in the mid-1990s, Limbaugh commanded a daily radio audience of millions, known as “dittoheads”, who tuned in to hear him dissect the sins of the Bill Clinton administration and wage battle against the “commie libs” he accused of plotting to destroy the country. [...]

Like Trump, Limbaugh offered listeners a blend of grievance politics, cruel humor, arrogant showmanship and privileged smugness that Trump showed could win much more than ratings wars.

The style and the political pose established Limbaugh as godfather of generations of angry white men in the media, many of them on Fox News: Bill Reilly, Sean Hannity, Tucker Carlson and their descendants, not to mention the conspiracy-minded networks that are challenging Fox for supremacy.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/17/rush-limbaugh-conservative-talk-radio-host-dies-70

Rush joined "The Breakfast Club" this past summer to discuss George Floyd's death and the protests that followed, and he delivered more classic Rush takes ... including saying he doesn't believe white privilege exists.

Just months before that, in February 2020, Rush insisted COVID-19 was nothing to worry about, telling his audience ... "I'm dead right on this. The coronavirus is the common cold, folks." He claimed it was being weaponized to hurt Trump.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/02/17/rush-limbaugh-dead-at-70-lung-cancer/

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

On 2/18/2021 at 7:12 AM, Sweersa said:

The Alex Jones of his time.  Follow the money...

Goes for all, or most politicians and notable personalities. 

Alex Jones is a conspiracy theorist shit bag, he doesn't believe most of the garbage that comes out of his mouth. Limbaugh just plays on the whole "blame democrats/liberals for everything" that the Republicans in this country get off on doing (even though they are really responsible for everything wrong)

That being said, watching that clip if Limbaugh would have stopped at the "spoiled brat" statement I can't say I would have disagreed to much because let's face it what Axl did was messed up,  but at said he has to somehow tie Bill Clinton to it as his way of "blaming Democrats" 

13 hours ago, k12 said:

Alex Jones is a conspiracy theorist shit bag, he doesn't believe most of the garbage that comes out of his mouth. Limbaugh just plays on the whole "blame democrats/liberals for everything" that the Republicans in this country get off on doing (even though they are really responsible for everything wrong)

That being said, watching that clip if Limbaugh would have stopped at the "spoiled brat" statement I can't say I would have disagreed to much because let's face it what Axl did was messed up,  but at said he has to somehow tie Bill Clinton to it as his way of "blaming Democrats" 

How would you know he doesn't believe most of what he says? Please don't tell me you're going off that nonsensical argument made in court that he admitted to being an actor because he engages in satire from time to time ... Jones is 100% the real McCoy 

On 2/20/2021 at 10:35 AM, 2020_Intensions said:

How would you know he doesn't believe most of what he says? Please don't tell me you're going off that nonsensical argument made in court that he admitted to being an actor because he engages in satire from time to time ... Jones is 100% the real McCoy 

Are you saying the Alex Jones believes everything he says?

1 hour ago, ronartest2004 said:

Boy was Rush wrong here, little did he know roughly a year in to the Clinton administration Axl would disappear not to be seen again publicly until the final days of the administration.

Yep. Also, assuming this is Nov/Dec ‘92 (i.e. right after Clinton’s election)- Cobain had already pretty well pigeonholed Axl/Guns as “corporate” (i.e. Reagan/Bush), “Harley Davidson” rock in much of the public’s mind IMHO.   Not a perfect test, but if I think about that 92-93 year in high school- Guns, Metallica, etc. were all still super popular w/the jocks (many future Limbaugh listeners! lol)- notwithstanding whatever was going on w/grunge and alternative.

FWIW, personally, I always thought Axl was primarily a Libertarian- only becoming politically activated as a Liberal Democrat some point in the 2010s (everyone on their own political journey)...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

1. Kind of ironic that Limbaugh calls out Clinton for being a liar, not having character, when he would become a Trump supporter 25 years later. 

2. Axl Rose/The nudists, etc. have nothing to do with Bill Clinton or his agenda. I don't really understand Limbaugh's train-of-thought or what kind of point he was trying to make. 

3. Limbaugh calls Clinton a "draft-dodger," when he himself didn't fight in Vietnam. Another chicken-hawk. 

23 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

GNR was still extremely popular in America in 1992-1993, much more so than Nirvana. Nirvana truly exploded after Kurt's death around the Unplugged airing. People were lining up to buy the Illusions records in late 1991. "November Rain" was one of the most highly-requested and played songs on MTV in all of 1992. It was the disappearance of GNR and the breakup that caused them to fade in popularity. Certainly not Kurt's antics.

You're right. 👍