TEG’s Geoff Jones Talks Guns ‘N Roses Stadium Tour: 'Australia and New Zealand Can Lead The Way'

Sounds like the promoter needed a crash-test dummy to see if post-pandemic tours could sell, and seeing as how successful NITL was (at least internationally), they picked GnR to be that crash-test dummy. That’s how I interpreted the article, at least. And hey, if it works and everyone is able to stay safe, then more power to them, I guess. This leg of the tour is still late enough in the year that it might actually have a shot at happening.

North America and Europe, tho? Yeah, that shit is toast.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

They rehearsed Pretty Tied Up, Think About You and Hardschool in Mexico so hope they play them to "celebrate" their return. They rehearsing Hardschool in particular still seems surreal, it's the closest we've been to new music since the reunion started and then nothing happened.

Edited by North Korean Democracy
  • Like 1

I was literally just saying yesterday that I'm surprised bands haven't tried to tour Aus/NZ🤣

Aa far as banda returning to the road, along as it's done safely I think it's great.

As far as gnr returning to the road... I guess we'll see. I hope people enjoy it but I just hope that they don't continue where they left off. I hope that "the next chapter" actually starts there, and that the next chapter includes new material. They said they can't release music without playing live, so... here they have the dates that are looking fairly likely... the excuse machine is about to get loaded up. "All things considered it's a miracle we're going these dates, hopefully we can start to look at the new record next year".

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I was literally just saying yesterday that I'm surprised bands haven't tried to tour Aus/NZ🤣

Aa far as banda returning to the road, along as it's done safely I think it's great.

As far as gnr returning to the road... I guess we'll see. I hope people enjoy it but I just hope that they don't continue where they left off. I hope that "the next chapter" actually starts there, and that the next chapter includes new material. They said they can't release music without playing live, so... here they have the dates that are looking fairly likely... the excuse machine is about to get loaded up. "All things considered it's a miracle we're going these dates, hopefully we can start to look at the new record next year".

Yeah I’m surprised too. On Sunday night I’m going to see Midnight Oil play here at an outdoor venue that can hold around 10 000 people so the domestic market here in Australia is starting to ramp up a bit. But I’m surprised that no overseas bands are coming here sooner to get back into touring and making money.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

Yeah I’m surprised too. On Sunday night I’m going to see Midnight Oil play here at an outdoor venue that can hold around 10 000 people so the domestic market here in Australia is starting to ramp up a bit. But I’m surprised that no overseas bands are coming here sooner to get back into touring and making money.

I guess they are hoping Japan or somewhere else opens up too, so they can maximise profit. But I guess they took their bets with europe for this year and now there isn't time to course correct. Australia night finally get a decent run of bands, seems to be the forgotten country and main one for bands cancelling😅

12 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

Problem is some of our states will lock down everyone for 1 covid case.

Imagine if a band books the tour, comes over and gets locked out of the other states it planned to tour. Its a big risk on a bands part atm.

Saying that i saw harry styles and kiss also release tours this week for nov/dec aus shows. 

14 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

It's a tricky one Australia- it's fairly isolated in terms of touring. Going there it's difficult to tie in other dates in different locations without incurring significant expense, which means it often, sadly, means it isn't financial viable. Or not deemed profitable enough. 

Basically....it comes down to money and logistics. 

19 hours ago, allwaystired said:

It's a tricky one Australia- it's fairly isolated in terms of touring. Going there it's difficult to tie in other dates in different locations without incurring significant expense, which means it often, sadly, means it isn't financial viable. Or not deemed profitable enough. 

Basically....it comes down to money and logistics. 

Yeah good points above. With Australia they can only really tie in New Zealand on the tour with some reasonable certainty. In term of the financial impact on the band themselves, having wankers like me fork out $500 a ticket is really just putting the financial burden on the consumer, and more than likely the promoter absorbs the risk.So the band should be fine. 

Edited by DownUnderScott

On 2/28/2021 at 5:57 AM, Subtle Signs said:

This means nothing for the States. Australia took the virus seriously and beat it down. It'll be 2022,IMO before bands the size of GNR can attempt large shows here.

Probably, hopefully the vaccine roll-out will speed things up a bit so that the US can start to plan concerts for early 2022.

I went to the show for Midnight Oil last night. It was an outdoor venue of approximately 10 000 people. It’s was a seating plan to make it ‘safe’ but really people were up dancing, drunk, and behaving like any other show pre-COVID. It was a great night and so good to see a big concert again with that electric atmosphere that a big crowd and a fantastic band can only provide!

On 2/25/2021 at 4:37 PM, North Korean Democracy said:

They rehearsed Pretty Tied Up, Think About You and Hardschool in Mexico so hope they play them to "celebrate" their return. They rehearsing Hardschool in particular still seems surreal, it's the closest we've been to new music since the reunion started and then nothing happened.

Watch them churn out the same old setlist and pretend like Hard School never happened.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bumcheecksmcghee said:

Agreed. Not bothering giving them anymore $$$ until something new is released...

Adelaide, Aus: 2007, 2010, 2017

Yup that's my position in NZ too. I actually haven't even bumped into others who are even considering going, last time they were here it was the opposite. Some folk i've mentioned the upcoming gigs too didn't even realise they were coming, and pretty much just shrugged it off.

Definitely a monumental cash grab, seeing as at the time of booking Aus & NZ were the few countries out there that were looking positive for tours/crowds/etc.

Crazy prices for tickets to watch the same show as last time too, nope thanks :P

• GNFNR 1

23 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I was thinking the same mate, but they only ever come down here every few years. Axl could well be in his mid 60s their next time around.

Yea thats it mate, thing is he aint sounding any better these days so whats he gonna be like in the 60s haha? Hope its still a good tour though.. But yea its literally hardschool or bust this time around.

On 3/1/2021 at 6:54 AM, Towelie said:

Watch them churn out the same old setlist and pretend like Hard School never happened.

If they come back after all this time and don't play any new material any chance of a new album is over. 

Best case scenario in my opinion will be a Hardschool and maybe one more 'new' song played, which would be an acknowledgement from Axl finally of a new album.

Edited by jackparker123

2 hours ago, jackparker123 said:

If they come back after all this time and don't play any new material any chance of a new album is over. 

Best case scenario in my opinion will be a Hardschool and maybe one more 'new' song played, which would be an acknowledgement from Axl finally of a new album.

Would you pay the high price to see them though based on them just playing Hardschool, assuming the rest of the set is the same? 

11 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Would you pay the high price to see them though based on them just playing Hardschool, assuming the rest of the set is the same? 

If the setlist was identical other than Hardschool I certainly wouldn't rush to get a ticket.

The very least they could do at this point is rotate the setlist, but really new material is a must to keep any shred of excitement. 3 or 4 songs ideally but that will never happen!

Edited by jackparker123

8 minutes ago, jackparker123 said:

If the setlist was identical other than Hardschool I certainly wouldn't rush to get a ticket.

The very least they could do at this point is rotate the setlist, but really new material is a must to keep any shred of excitement.

Yeah, I'd agree,

They also need to re-find their energy and enthusiasm at this stage, by whatever means necessary. I'd suggest the only way to do that is to seriously shake things up. 

11 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah, I'd agree,

They also need to re-find their energy and enthusiasm at this stage, by whatever means necessary. I'd suggest the only way to do that is to seriously shake things up. 

If they come back after a 20 month break with low energy then it's definitely all over!