Jump to content

TEG’s Geoff Jones Talks Guns ‘N Roses Stadium Tour: 'Australia and New Zealand Can Lead The Way'


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah, I'd agree,

They also need to re-find their energy and enthusiasm at this stage, by whatever means necessary. I'd suggest the only way to do that is to seriously shake things up. 

 

If they come back after a 20 month break with low energy then it's definitely all over!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

If they really come out without new original material and horrendous Axl performances...it will get really ugly. 

That's been said before each and every leg of the tour though. The reality is that it'll just plod on, and fans will just drop off. Venues will get smaller, ticket prices higher, and people will trot out lines such as "we're just so lucky to be able to see them live again, we should be grateful". 

I really think these November dates will happen, and that what happens when they do will be a clear indication as to the future. If it's the same setlist (even with Hardchool) and a tired and bored looking band, then it's game over creatively and quality wise. It won't be game over commercially though. That's the beauty of basing yourself entirely around nostalgia- nostalgia never changes. There will always be people who will pay to pretend they're young and happy again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 3/1/2021 at 6:50 AM, DownUnderScott said:

Probably, hopefully the vaccine roll-out will speed things up a bit so that the US can start to plan concerts for early 2022.

I went to the show for Midnight Oil last night. It was an outdoor venue of approximately 10 000 people. It’s was a seating plan to make it ‘safe’ but really people were up dancing, drunk, and behaving like any other show pre-COVID. It was a great night and so good to see a big concert again with that electric atmosphere that a big crowd and a fantastic band can only provide!

Sooo jealous you got to go to an actual gig!! That seems a very long time away here. Missing live music so much.

I think those saying they won't go to another GNR show unless they add new music or mix up the setlist are nuts. I would kill to see any band right now and I'll be even keener by the time it's actually possible. Guns and all other bands are going to clean up financially when touring starts again, if only from pent up frustration of fans having no gigs to go to for so long.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

That's been said before each and every leg of the tour though. The reality is that it'll just plod on, and fans will just drop off. Venues will get smaller, ticket prices higher, and people will trot out lines such as "we're just so lucky to be able to see them live again, we should be grateful". 

I really think these November dates will happen, and that what happens when they do will be a clear indication as to the future. If it's the same setlist (even with Hardchool) and a tired and bored looking band, then it's game over creatively and quality wise. It won't be game over commercially though. That's the beauty of basing yourself entirely around nostalgia- nostalgia never changes. There will always be people who will pay to pretend they're young and happy again. 

I agree. I'm prepared for the worst.

  • GNFNR 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah, I'd agree,

They also need to re-find their energy and enthusiasm at this stage, by whatever means necessary. I'd suggest the only way to do that is to seriously shake things up. 

 

Bring back some other classic era members, that'll shake things up.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jackparker123 said:

If they come back after all this time and don't play any new material any chance of a new album is over. 

Best case scenario in my opinion will be a Hardschool and maybe one more 'new' song played, which would be an acknowledgement from Axl finally of a new album.

Why they haven't released a single, Hardschool if needs be, during the covid madness is beyond me. Just one single would get everyone pumped, doesn't have to lead to an album etc. Just one song since the NITL tour finished would have done wonders, for casual fans, as well as us gnr nerds. But nope. Too hard, and too much effort I suppose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, money honey said:

Guns and all other bands are going to clean up financially when touring starts again, if only from pent up frustration of fans having no gigs to go to for so long.

...or they'll all be fiercely competing for the same limited ticket money?

There's plenty of artists I want to see once touring resumes as normal, but I can't imagine spending a few hundred dollars to see the NITL show again. :shrugs: But if they play some new songs and actually shake things up, they'd have my interest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

Bring back some other classic era members, that'll shake things up.

That's the final card to play I think. I'd guess It'll happen, but only when things get back to the 'Vegas residency' type level. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Bring back some other classic era members, that'll shake things up.

Pretty sure that was raised as a possibility in the Australian/NZ tour announcement thread, along with the potential for a new album prior to the tour, by someone who is well-respected on this forum and elsewhere. The band/tour promoter are using the AFD cross after all (but the cynic in me says they are simply using it to shake their image up for a new tour, rather than re-using the bullet logo).

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Pretty sure that was raised as a possibility in the Australian/NZ tour announcement thread, along with the potential for a new album prior to the tour, by someone who is well-respected on this forum and elsewhere. The band/tour promoter are using the AFD cross after all (but the cynic in me says they are simply using it to shake their image up for a new tour, rather than re-using the bullet logo).

They've used the cross throughout the NITL tour, on both merch and gig adverts. Rest assured, if original members were back, it would be being used as a marketing tool! 

People never really learn with GNR though- speculation occurs at the slightest opportunity! 

Now.....when's the next Terminator film?! 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

They've used the cross throughout the NITL tour, on both merch and gig adverts. Rest assured, if original members were back, it would be being used as a marketing tool! 

People never really learn with GNR though- speculation occurs at the slightest opportunity! 

Now.....when's the next Terminator film?! 

 

There's still another 8 months of marketing to go, but you are absolutely right about the use of the cross throughout the NITL tour, and the fact that any marketer would use a potential return of classic members for the clear promotional advantage that would have. I just double-checked the comment and they said that they heard that Steven and Izzy may be involved 'in some way', so it may not even be in a performance capacity (if the rumour is even true to begin with).

Honestly, the two most famous GN'R logos are the bullet and the cross. It makes sense to use the cross as a promotional logo for a second tour run.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

There's still another 8 months of marketing to go, but you are absolutely right about the use of the cross throughout the NITL tour, and the fact that any marketer would use a potential return of classic members for the clear promotional advantage that would have. I just double-checked the comment and they said that they heard that Steven and Izzy may be involved 'in some way', so it may not even be in a performance capacity (if the rumour is even true to begin with).

Honestly, the two most famous GN'R logos are the bullet and the cross. It makes sense to use the cross as a promotional logo for a second tour run.

Yeah, you'd have to be a very bad promotor to not be building the ticket sell around that fact! 

I'm sure the 'rumour' will keep coming up before the beginning of every leg, as it has in the past. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

There's still another 8 months of marketing to go, but you are absolutely right about the use of the cross throughout the NITL tour, and the fact that any marketer would use a potential return of classic members for the clear promotional advantage that would have. I just double-checked the comment and they said that they heard that Steven and Izzy may be involved 'in some way', so it may not even be in a performance capacity (if the rumour is even true to begin with).

Honestly, the two most famous GN'R logos are the bullet and the cross. It makes sense to use the cross as a promotional logo for a second tour run.

This is a recoup some money tour, pay our crew tour... anybody thinking it's anything else is fooling themselves. So with that in mind, GNR paying two old members a lot of money for a few songs? it really doesn't make sense when they can just as easily go out as is, and make more money. They've used the crosses before to promote shows and it has meant nothing. The promoter doesn't need to swindle people to sell these tickets, they will sell just fine just as soon as the fans believe the concert is actually going to go ahead... so that might mean slow sales right up to the month before but it'll come together.

I know this is all for the money, but I hope they put some fucking effort in and make these shows new and unique. A new setlist is the absolute bare minimum... and also the maximum that we'll get. I don't think there will be brand new songs in that set, or a revamped version of the NITL set.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...