Favorite Studio Performance by Axl

On 2/26/2021 at 9:57 AM, kozydogg said:

What is your favorite studio vocal performance by Axl?  Must be the whole song, not just a line or two.

For me it's One in a Million.  That song has the perfect blend of my favorite Axl attributes:

• The patented drawn out words like "starraarr" or "make us cryyiayy"
  • The perfect balance of rasp and phlegm, especially in the line "they come to our country, and think they'll do as they please"
  •  The power is clean but raspy/rough/phlegmy all at the same time
  • Shows off his incredible range between baritone and screeching 
  • The attitude.  Right or wrong, the attitude and swagger in the song can't be matched (Ok, maybe ISE matches/exceeds, but still...)

I don’t give a shit what all the do-gooders say, this song is up there with GnR’s greatest. The attitude - right. Brutal honesty from an artist at the height of his mega-talented output.

I must say though that I’ve never heard of the ‘phlegmy’ description before 😄

Anyway, I’m gonna say Nightrain, Patience and Better.

Edited by DownUnderScott

I just know in my fat soaked Scottish heart, that Axl's vocals in The General, a song I have never heard in my life and in all likelihood never will hear, are simply his best work! Furthermore I fully believe, without any real reason, that had this song been released in 2004 it would have blown up the rock world! 

I'll park the sarcasm and let somebody else claim Atlas Shrugged as their choice!

I love all the cool harmonies in the intro chorus of Paradise City. Absolutely superb stuff. Good shout on One In A Million previously too. Don't Damn Me is awesome due to sheer speed at which he spits out the words. Ach fuck, there are too many! He was an utter vocal savage back in the day!

4 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I think One In A Million is peak performance Axl if we are looking at the totality of his singing style. It hits all the right areas.

That said, i don't think his early stuff with Rapidfire gets enough credit. He sounds great on Closure.

I agree, that's my favorite track on that CD.

7 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

I just know in my fat soaked Scottish heart, that Axl's vocals in The General, a song I have never heard in my life and in all likelihood never will hear, are simply his best work! Furthermore I fully believe, without any real reason, that had this song been released in 2004 it would have blown up the rock world! 

I'll park the sarcasm and let somebody else claim Atlas Shrugged as their choice!

I love all the cool harmonies in the intro chorus of Paradise City. Absolutely superb stuff. Good shout on One In A Million previously too. Don't Damn Me is awesome due to sheer speed at which he spits out the words. Ach fuck, there are too many! He was an utter vocal savage back in the day!

You can hear on that cellphone clip of the general that Axl is ripping his vocal cords to shreds, it sounds amazing

• Haha 1

It’s annoying how many people have listed stuck inside. Not because it’s not one of Axl’s best studio performances (it definitely is) but because it’s on an ok song on Sebastian Bach’s crappy solo album. I can only hope Axl brought it like that on some of the unheard holy grail songs. 

On 2/25/2021 at 10:51 PM, rocknroll41 said:

Top 5 (in chronological order):

Sweet Child O’ Mine (cliche, but I can’t help it!)

You’re Crazy (Lies version)

Coma

You Could Be Mine

This I Love (Remix version)

didn’t even mean to pick one song per album like that, actually!

Sure you didn't😜😜😜

• Haha 1

The last two to three minutes of coma may be not only the best Axl studio recording ever but it’s up there in the history of recorded music(may be exaggerating there) but I’m sure I’m not the only person who’s tried to just speak the coma outro and run out of steam. How he did it in the studio never mind live is a testament to the ability axl has. I don’t know why but I love the single drum strike from Matt at the end of coma. 

On 2/28/2021 at 2:08 AM, 19AT5 said:

The General is epic. Similar style to ‘Sorry’. Clean chorus, raspy vocals.

lyrics

Do you remember who did it?

Who did that to you?

Who would do this, to you?

Who would do this, to you, to the young?

Who would do THAT to me boy

Up to abuse ( ? ) in fact, you knew them

Who wants to lose, to lose....do you?

My hopes, my dreams have died

Now I rest my hate in the rumors as they're pushin' through

There's a child now chained to the bed now

To me it's time I'm always workin' and I'm gonna get out

I think it's high time you should fuckin' die, child

I think this time you've broken everything inside

I won't be ever satisfied

This is why, baby, you know I got you.

Edited by Nightrain7

3 hours ago, Nightrain7 said:

Well I do quite like Sorry as it happens so that is a good start! Does The General also contain a similar "but I don't want to do it" line sung in a bizarre Eastern European accent? 

On 2/28/2021 at 12:38 AM, Arnuld said:

It’s annoying how many people have listed stuck inside. Not because it’s not one of Axl’s best studio performances (it definitely is) but because it’s on an ok song on Sebastian Bach’s crappy solo album. I can only hope Axl brought it like that on some of the unheard holy grail songs. 

I actually enjoy that album, for the most part. I'll admit I wouldn't own if it Axl wasn't on it though.

4 hours ago, Nightrain7 said:

lyrics

Do you remember who did it?

Who did that to you?

Who would do this, to you?

Who would do this, to you, to the young?

Who would do THAT to me boy

Up to abuse ( ? ) in fact, you knew them

Who wants to lose, to lose....do you?

My hopes, my dreams have died

Now I rest my hate in the rumors as they're pushin' through

There's a child now chained to the bed now

To me it's time I'm always workin' and I'm gonna get out

I think it's high time you should fuckin' die, child

I think this time you've broken everything inside

I won't be ever satisfied

This is why, baby, you know I got you.

Those lyrics are only partially right, or close enough on the latter parts.

In the beginning of the song, Axl just makes sounds which he seems to do on a lot of CD era songs. "Oooooooooo.....oooooooooo" in a rhythmic fashion.  You can make it out on the party recording. He's not actually saying anything until the screaming part.

The version of the song where he sounds like he is saying words is a reconstruction from other material, and not from the song itself.

That's just my opinion. I'd love to be proven wrong! (Whenever this holy grail sees the light of day)