Monstrosity - what do we know?

In the complete absence of anything to talk about, I thought I'd start a thread for something a couple of us were discussing elsewhere - namely the 'Monstrosity' song. 

From what we know:  

The 'CD single' was a fake. 

There are rumours of a genuine track existing called 'Monstrosity'. 

Evader made a song called 'Monstrosity' by using bits of 'Scraped'. 

The genuine GNR version (if it exists) has never leaked. 

Anyone else know anything more about this? 

• Like 1

We know the title originated from MSL's 2011 video, and the other previously unknown tracks he mentioned (Tonto, Goin Down, Cuban Skies) have been confirmed legit. We also know it's not another name for Soul Monster since he mentioned both separately. I also don't believe he actually had the tracks as he claimed, simply a list of the songs from Axl's laptop, which is likely the same list Sweersa saw in 2008.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

An album full of songs like Zodiac, State of Grace, Tonto, OMG, Realdoll, Circus Maximus, etc. would've been incredible with the '02 lineup.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Missed opportunity of a lifetime. That is Guns N' Roses. (Unfortunately)

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah but I have a feeling that’s not really the kinda album Axl wanted to make.

I think it was and then it wasn't and he might actually be back to square one thinking that those original first versions are now the superior versions... if you sit on material and tweak it for 20 years, you are bound to change your mind. A lot of artists who have had long gestations periods with records often say "we went through a lot of ideas and versions of songs looking for something, and then one day we listened to the tracks we cut at the start of the session and there was the sound after all" 😄 I guess with all the people in his ear saying "This is the sound" "Oh that's not the sound" "There's only 1 good song on here" left Axl wandering around completely unsure of himself. Why he's waited this long to follow up Chinese is beyond me though. It was received mildly, yet he doubled down on it and pushed the material out front on the subsequent tours. you would think with that attitude that he would have doubled down that bit more and released the next set of songs. ANYWAY... he didn't and it's been discussed, it's just sometimes you think about it and you can't understand anything about it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

Toto definitely is real - and there are two other leaks somehow associated with it: Africa and Rosanna (you can find them on torrents or in VIP clubs). 

:lol::lol::lol: 

Sorry 

Used to love both of those songs actually. Africa is the first classic song ruined by overexposure in memes, it won't be the last I'm afraid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Used to love both of those songs actually. Africa is the first classic song ruined by overexposure in memes, it won't be the last I'm afraid.

Totally agree, great songs. Toto is one of those faceless bands, like Blue Oyster Cult or The Alan Parson's project, but great nonetheless. 

4 hours ago, jamillos said:

Toto definitely is real - and there are two other leaks somehow associated with it: Africa and Rosanna (you can find them on torrents or in VIP clubs). 

:lol::lol::lol: 

Sorry 

Bobby Kimble is still doing the rounds. What he lacks in voice, he makes up in moustache!

I still remember when the chap posted the image of the supposed single. It looked legit, but very easy to do with the right tools. I'd love to know the title of the song Baz raved on about that Axl and DJ wrote together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I think it was and then it wasn't and he might actually be back to square one thinking that those original first versions are now the superior versions... if you sit on material and tweak it for 20 years, you are bound to change your mind. A lot of artists who have had long gestations periods with records often say "we went through a lot of ideas and versions of songs looking for something, and then one day we listened to the tracks we cut at the start of the session and there was the sound after all" 😄 I guess with all the people in his ear saying "This is the sound" "Oh that's not the sound" "There's only 1 good song on here" left Axl wandering around completely unsure of himself. Why he's waited this long to follow up Chinese is beyond me though. It was received mildly, yet he doubled down on it and pushed the material out front on the subsequent tours. you would think with that attitude that he would have doubled down that bit more and released the next set of songs. ANYWAY... he didn't and it's been discussed, it's just sometimes you think about it and you can't understand anything about it.

I think Axl probably has a few batches of songs that he likes to update and tweak so maybe he just added Slash and Duff to existing cd era material and that is essentially most of the album.

3 hours ago, Dean said:

Bobby Kimble is still doing the rounds. What he lacks in voice, he makes up in moustache!

I still remember when the chap posted the image of the supposed single. It looked legit, but very easy to do with the right tools. I'd love to know the title of the song Baz raved on about that Axl and DJ wrote together.

Bobby is not doing the rounds much, he has dementia. Live as hard as that man, and you are bound to have trouble... not even an awesome moustache could ward off time.

You can't trust Baz. 1. his solo material is bit crap, so the quality metre is clearly off 2. He thinks everything is rad 3. he kisses Axls ass 4. He just wants to tour with GNR 5. he was probably drunk so his memory is probably a bit questionable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Bobby is not doing the rounds much, he has dementia. Live as hard as that man, and you are bound to have trouble... not even an awesome moustache could ward off time.

You can't trust Baz. 1. his solo material is bit crap, so the quality metre is clearly off 2. He thinks everything is rad 3. he kisses Axls ass 4. He just wants to tour with GNR 5. he was probably drunk so his memory is probably a bit questionable.

That is extremely disappointing to hear, I haven't really been paying attention to what he's been up to, along with other artists, since Corona took hold. The last I seen, he was touring around with his band doing all the hits from Toto among other things. Horrible disease.

When Baz talks about Guns N' Roses, I think he's always been on point, to a degree, at least throughout the Chinese era. 

9 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

1 hour ago, Dean said:

That is extremely disappointing to hear, I haven't really been paying attention to what he's been up to, along with other artists, since Corona took hold. The last I seen, he was touring around with his band doing all the hits from Toto among other things. Horrible disease.

When Baz talks about Guns N' Roses, I think he's always been on point, to a degree, at least throughout the Chinese era. 

Wiki says this was announced in 2019. However, the latest album he released was in 2016 - still better than Axl's 2008!

Axl played his vault for Baz before CD came out, is my understanding. That's when Baz mentioned how much he liked the one called The General. 

I would love to listen to what Axl has stashed away from the CD era. I would guess at least 2 albums worth of complete songs. (Outside of the 2008 album) At the very least, 1.5 albums worth of songs.