Monstrosity - what do we know?

8 hours ago, Frankfurt93 said:

Sadly for Europe, I heard few people mix them up with TOTO over the years...I mean Europe had 5, 6 serious records, they seriously don't deserve shit being thrown at them just cause ppl associate them with Carrie and TFC

Europe are severely underrated, especially their last few albums, well worth a look if you haven't or just check out their wacken set, these guys know how to deliver live! totally different to Toto too, although both are brilliant live.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 7:43 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

An album full of songs like Zodiac, State of Grace, Tonto, OMG, Realdoll, Circus Maximus, etc. would've been incredible with the '02 lineup.

Not having a go, but I'm genuinely interested in why you think this? Have you heard any of those songs other than State of Grace or Oh My God? The 2002 lineup literally only played a hand full of shows. 

17 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Not having a go, but I'm genuinely interested in why you think this? Have you heard any of those songs other than State of Grace or Oh My God? The 2002 lineup literally only played a hand full of shows. 

Throw in Oklahoma too please! You’re right about the 2002 lineup only playing a few shows, plus we’re not really sure who played what in terms of rhythm guitars on the Locker Leaks. But it’s hard to deny that their are some really good ideas there. If Axl had finished and released them in 02 as a solo act, it could have been a big fucking deal. We would have this plus VR was just starting up and was blues based rock n roll. The best of both worlds! Unfortunately, as we all know, everything with Axl post 94 is all about “What if?”.

Now that the semi reunion seems here to stay, I would really like to hear these songs with the vocals and Slash giving it his all in the lead spot. 

1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

Only heard the instrumentals obviously, but at the time it would've been a cool direction for that lineup to go.

2 hours ago, DTV88 said:

You’re right about the 2002 lineup only playing a few shows, plus we’re not really sure who played what in terms of rhythm guitars on the Locker Leaks. But it’s hard to deny that their are some really good ideas there. If Axl had finished and released them in 02 as a solo act, it could have been a big fucking deal. 

I've only heard a few tracks from the locker leaks... State of Grace, Perhaps, Atlas Shrugged and Hard School. None of these songs are even comparable with previous work by the old band, in my opinion of course. Obviously I've not heard the fill locker leaks and may be unaware of some songwriting gems, but based on what I have heard and the Chinese Democracy album, the songs just weren't there. 

34 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

I've only heard a few tracks from the locker leaks... State of Grace, Perhaps, Atlas Shrugged and Hard School. None of these songs are even comparable with previous work by the old band, in my opinion of course. Obviously I've not heard the fill locker leaks and may be unaware of some songwriting gems, but based on what I have heard and the Chinese Democracy album, the songs just weren't there. 

You haven’t really missed anything. These are the new songs that contain vocals. Plus Eye on You, but that completely sounds like some Axl’s solo and not GN’R. The rest is either not new to us (Silk Worms) or it doesn’t have vocals, and in this state, it’s like some weird video-game background music. 

12 minutes ago, jamillos said:

You haven’t really missed anything. These are the new songs that contain vocals. Plus Eye on You, but that completely sounds like some Axl’s solo and not GN’R. The rest is either not new to us (Silk Worms) or it doesn’t have vocals, and in this state, it’s like some weird video-game background music. 

I haven't heard Eye On You. Is this another piano ballad? I thought State of Grace was actually not too bad in spots, and I liked the chorus in Hard School, but otherwise... I was left fairly unimpressed. I did however like the Oh My God single. I still dig it in fact!

5 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

I haven't heard Eye On You. Is this another piano ballad? I thought State of Grace was actually not too bad in spots, and I liked the chorus in Hard School, but otherwise... I was left fairly unimpressed. I did however like the Oh My God single. I still dig it in fact!

Same here. HS is cool, and so are some parts of those other songs, like the beginning of Atlas. Eye on You sounds like something between Madagascar and My World, ha ha. If you see a "who's your McDaddy" reference here, it's to this song.

Edited by jamillos

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

Same here. HS is cool, and so are some parts of those other songs, like the beginning of Atlas. Eye on You sounds like something between Madagascar and My World, ha. If you see a "who's your McDaddy" reference here, it's to this song.

Aaaaah, I have seen folk reference McDaddy here and I was wondering what the fuck! Haha! My problem with Hard School was the intro and the breakdown. It was just... too happy and nice for me! Wasn't feeling it!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

HS was most likely started by the old band. My theory is that it's from the 94-96 session. Duff made mention of the song as Jackie Chan in 96. Also, it has a similar structure to classic GNR songs. 

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

HS was most likely started by the old band. My theory is that it's from the 94-96 session. Duff made mention of the song as Jackie Chan in 96. Also, it has a similar structure to classic GNR songs. 

You may well be right. I like the chorus in Hard School, but the intro and middle section were... oh no no no! For me only obviously.

I always found the leaked 2006 clip of Jackie Chan intriguing, but based on that clip, it didn't really excite me much for the full song other than the curiosity aspect of it. From that clip, it just sounded like a Mickey Mouse Axl basic song.

After the complete song leaked in 2019 as Hardschool, it easily went down as one of my favorite CD-era GN'R songs. I love how Axl goes from his cleaner Mickey voice to his badass fast raspy voice. I know the long intro and solo are not a huge hit here, but I love them both.

A proper mix and mastering of the existing song from 2000 as we heard it, IMO would be great on any GN'R album.

I hope Slash and the current crew do it justice, assuming it's on the next album. If it's 75% as cool as the 2000 version, I'll be satisfied. (Sort of like many of the final 2008 mixes vs the earlier ones from leaks)

3 hours ago, UseYourDemocracyIII said:

Both are clean, but only one is Mickey Mouse. The two simply don't equate, and a lack of rasp does not a Mouse make.

Atlas Shrugged mostly sounds like Mickey Mouse. I'm not trying to be insulting to Axl, I actually like that voice. I can picture Mickey singing Atlas Shrugged and Eye On You, Riad, etc. 

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Atlas Shrugged mostly sounds like Mickey Mouse. I'm not trying to be insulting to Axl, I actually like that voice. I can picture Mickey singing Atlas Shrugged and Eye On You, Riad, etc. 

Do you guys think Axl also calls that voice Mickey? :lol::P So, it's not Atlas shrugged, but Mickey sang. ;)

On 3/6/2021 at 5:48 AM, Tom2112 said:

Europe are severely underrated, especially their last few albums, well worth a look if you haven't or just check out their wacken set, these guys know how to deliver live! totally different to Toto too, although both are brilliant live.

I am an old school Europe fan ;)  Saw them last about 10 years ago.  Album wise their peak for me ended with Prisoners in Paradise (the record label changed the executives as they recorded that album so they kept cutting down their track listing, which resulted in many great songs being cut out (Here comes the night, Yesterdays news....).

I kept on buying theirrecords as they came out, liking Last look at eden and Bag of Bones best, but I became done with them from War of kings onwards.

Instead of sounding like Europe, they now sound like Deep Purple d side album after album.  Completely lost their own personality IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frankfurt93 said:

I am an old school Europe fan ;)  Saw them last about 10 years ago.  Album wise their peak for me ended with Prisoners in Paradise (the record label changed the executives as they recorded that album so they kept cutting down their track listing, which resulted in many great songs being cut out (Here comes the night, Yesterdays news....).

I kept on buying theirrecords as they came out, liking Last look at eden and Bag of Bones best, but I became done with them from War of kings onwards.

Instead of sounding like Europe, they now sound like Deep Purple d side album after album.  Completely lost their own personality IMO.

I can't remember are they on frontiers or not, but a lot of the bands on their end up with that sound.

I kinda forget how long ago last look at eden was.

Edited by Tom2112